Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Bribery/fraud aside, a college admissions system that's driven by tests rich families can drop thousands of dollars to prepare for is another example of how this country is anything but a meritocracy.
    I think we need to do away this concept in explaining success or lack thereof. I'm not necessarily trying to be cynical, but how do you quantify who is more deserving of something (whether that be acceptance into college, a job position, wealth, etc)? The purest meritocracy that exists is probably professional sports, since performance can be quantified with simplistic hard stats or even merchandise sales/television ratings (Kobe's last huge contract was given to him on the latter factors), but even that realm has its share of undeserving people (i.e. Tim Tebow getting a minor league contract after a single workout). On the other hand, how do you quantify who is going to be the better software engineer for your company? Or the better student for your university? Standardized test scores tell very little about the overall person, in person interviews can be won on charisma, and as mentioned, class rankings are arbitrary. And then at the end of the day, there'll probably be ten candidates of "equal worth," to choose from, so who ultimately gets chosen is rather arbitrary.

I don't take issue with the world working this way, since again, I don't think you can quantify merit. I just wish conservatives would admit that bootstrapping is a bull concept and so much of success in life starts with the innate talents you're born with, the environment in which you're raised that hopefully nurtured those talents, and then in the adult world, it can come down to who you know, when you know them, with some good fortune helping you along the way.

And I'm by no means suggesting that we denigrate a person's accomplishments as all "luck," (you can be given a head start, but hard work, for the most part, is still required to get to the finish line) just that we recognize that billionaires didn't work 1000 times smarter and harder than a millionaire and a millionaire doesn't work 10 times smarter and harder than a person making 100K per year. This article puts it succinctly, and differentiates between relative and absolute success:

The absolute view considers your level of success compared to everyone else. What makes someone the best in the world in a particular domain? When viewed at this level, success is nearly always attributable to luck. Even if you make a good initial choice—like Bill Gates choosing to start a computer company—you can’t understand all of the factors that cause world-class outcomes.

As a general rule, the wilder the success, the more extreme and unlikely the cir stances that caused it. It's often a combination of the right genes, the right connections, the right timing, and a thousand other influences that nobody is wise enough to predict.
    https://jamesclear.com/luck-vs-hard-work

Billy Bob
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

This just goes to show that the supposed high iq of white people is bogus. I've seen illegal Mexican native Americans and mestizos run circles around white people and with only a ty 3rd grade education.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

This just goes to show that the supposed high iq of white people is bogus. I've seen illegal Mexican native Americans and mestizos run circles around white people and with only a ty 3rd grade education.
    That's largely a product of the average HS/College in North America which i personally believe is inferior to most schools in developing countries.

North America still holds the best colleges and universities in the world tbh, but its not going to last long if the average public school continues to decrease in quality.

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    midnightpulp

This pretty much mirrors my reaction from the start (even if I didn't express it very well). You just have gov. big wigs trying to make names for themselves. They have no real interest in fixing the system. It's pretty stupid, especially as many well-meaning parents of means would pay outside en ies to aid their child with admission. Going after parents is utterly stupid!

“When federal prosecutors indicted Hollywood celebrities and other wealthy individuals for paying bribes to have their children admitted to selective colleges, we saw the logical culmination of a more subtle practice that has been going on for decades,” said the education scholar Richard Kahlenberg, who studies legacy admissions and is a prominent critic of them, in an email.
    In the Tuesday press conference, the U.S. attorney perhaps unintentionally emphasized this irony when he said: “We’re not talking about donating a building … We’re talking about fraud.”
    https://www.theatlantic.com/educatio...arents/584695/

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Mom and tan daughter are incredible.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    She's too old for you

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    "OJ" in a USC dorm

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Chicago Bulls
    College
    Florida State Seminoles

Gym shoes in public. Western women are so lazy

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    muh right to see teens in heels at all times.

Thread Information