Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No offense, you guys talk about a cons ution that doesn’t exist anymore.
    Except for muh second amendment tho

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Democrats playing nice again. They "called" on him to come.

He'll just ignore it.

Send 100 subpoenas and if he still refuses, actually follow through with monetary sanctions. I bet he'll feel it then.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Good to see that Pelosi might call Congress back early to investigate this and start issuing subpoenas.

If I were Trump I’d have Dejoy reverse all the changes he’s made. If this is still a headline story 1 month from now black voters in areas like Philly and Milwaukee are all going to be voting early.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    Good to see that Pelosi might call Congress back early to investigate this and start issuing subpoenas.

If I were Trump I’d have Dejoy reverse all the changes he’s made. If this is still a headline story 1 month from now black voters in areas like Philly and Milwaukee are all going to be voting early.
    DeJoy fired the whole leadership team of USPS in a Friday Night Massacre.
    False.
    This is in reference to the Saturday Night Massacre, when Nixon fired several high level staffers or forced them to resign in an attempt to cover up the Watergate Scandal. DeJoy did make some changes to the leadership of USPS when he became Postmaster General. But leadership changes when there’s a new Postmaster General is not unusual. In fact, the previous Postmaster General, Megan Brennan, made her own leadership changes when she took the position in 2015 and made leadership changes again in January 2019.
    “The announcement on Friday set forth a change to organizational structure only,” USPS spokesman David Partenheimer told Motherboard. “The announcement did not include any terminations or layoffs and very specifically stated that the changes did not initiate a reduction in force and there were no immediate impacts to USPS employees.”
    Source.
    In fact when you compare the organizational charts from before and after the announcement, you can see that most of the changes are actually promotions of existing staff in a slightly different organizational structure. So it would be misleading to liken the situation to a Saturday Night Massacre.
    USPS was destroying mail-sorting machines used to sort mail-in ballots.
    True, but likely for cost-efficiency reasons.
    So, yes, USPS is deactivating mail-sorting machines that sort some types of mail, including mail ballots. Some of these are being relocated, but there does appear to be an outright reduction going on with the remainder being dismantled. But despite the phrasing by Vice that the do entation shows “plans to hobble mail sorting,” the intention does not appear to be to slow the sorting of mail.
    Vice does have the good sense to note that the plan to reorganize and rightsize the sorting machines is dated May 15, a month before DeJoy took office and less than a week after the Board of Governors announced his selection. Not only that, but the do ent shows that earlier deadlines were missed and gives extended deadlines, which implies that this plan had already been around for quite some time.
    And other facts back the reasoning of the plan. The type of mail these machines sort are decreasing in volume, including down more than 15% just this year compared to last year.
    In other words, DBCSs have less mail to sort than they ever have before and it’s far from clear how much of that mail is ever coming back. So it stands to reason the USPS might not need as many of them.
    The necessity and prior existence of this plan is further enforced by the Inspector General’s September 2019 report on processing network optimization. The report describes how USPS has been trying, and failing, to consolidate processing and rightsize infrastructure in order to reduce costs. In fact, the issue has been researched since as early as 2012 by the Government Accountability Office, and the volume of mail has only declined further since then.
    This action also aligns with the five-year strategic plan that was published before DeJoy was even selected: “Continuously optimize location of network processing operations and equipment as mail volumes decline and parcel volumes increase.”
    Postal workers argue that USPS should keep the machines, but not use them, in the off chance that they’re needed or parts can be used to fix ones that are being used. I see the reasoning in that, so I would like to hear more from DeJoy on this as well.

USPS told election officials that voters’ ballots won’t arrive in time to be counted.
    True, but not in the way you think.
    This one is mostly a miscommunication issue. USPS has warned 46 states about how it can handle election mail. But the letters are an attempt to preserve the election, rather than undermine it.
    When local election officials distribute pre-paid postage envelopes with absentee ballots, they have two options: use First Class Mail or use Marketing Mail. First Class Mail is more expensive but faster (2–5), whereas Marketing Mail is cheaper but slower (3–10 days).
    Apparently, USPS has informally treated both types of election mail the same, expediting both whenever possible. So local election officials have been opting for Marketing Mail in order to save on costs. (Side bar: elections are funded at the local level and chronically underfunded.)
    But USPS cannot do that anymore, because it’s costly. And therefore, election mail will be treated as its paid category. This means some election officials may be advising voters to return ballots on timelines that wouldn’t actually meet the state law’s deadlines. For example, many election officials are saying to return mail ballots a week ahead of time; but seven days might not be enough time for some Marketing Mail, which could take up to ten.
    So, again, the letter from USPS was an attempt to warn election officials and preserve the election, rather undermine it. If DeJoy had wanted to undermine the election, he simply could have chosen not to warn the election officials at all.
    https://medium.com/@nharpermn/stop-p...e-8bcd689b9601

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    In a statement to Business Insider, a USPS representative, Dave Partenheimer, said the notion that mail-sorting machines were being deactivated to sabotage mail-in voting was "erroneous."

"The Postal Service routinely moves equipment around its network as necessary to match changing mail and package volumes," Partenheimer said. "Package volume is up, but mail volume continues to decline. Adapting our processing infrastructure to the current volumes will ensure more efficient, cost effective operations and better service for our customers."

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Complete horse

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Postal workers argue that USPS should keep the machines, but not use them, in the off chance that they’re needed or parts can be used to fix ones that are being used. I see the reasoning in that, so I would like to hear more from DeJoy on this as well.
    So the article you posted agrees with me that there's no logical reason to remove sorting machines from processing centers when you're not replacing them with anything else.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So where did the equipment go?

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Adapting our processing infrastructure to the current volumes will ensure more efficient, cost effective operations and better service for our customers."
    Except none of this is happening. There are people going weeks without getting mail, in some cases veterans who get their prescription by mail and rely on it coming on time. Nothing about the changes Dejoy has made have led to better service for customers.

DeJoy's "warning" to the 46 states was completely reactionary. It came after this story had already gotten a lot of attention and people were reporting significant delays in receiving mail. If Dejoy was really trying to get in front of this, he would have announced the delays back in June so pharmacies that send prescriptions by mail would have had time to send meds early and also so election officials would have had more time. The idea that him waiting until August is him trying to "protect the election" is hilarious.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    leave it to TSA to find some rando Baghdad Bob medium article by a lobbyist. Probably got the link from AR15.com.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    So the article you posted agrees with me that there's no logical reason to remove sorting machines from processing centers when you're not replacing them with anything else.
    No, it doesn’t agree there is no logical reason and gives a logical reason.

And other facts back the reasoning of the plan. The type of mail these machines sort are decreasing in volume, including down more than 15% just this year compared to last year.
    In other words, DBCSs have less mail to sort than they ever have before and it’s far from clear how much of that mail is ever coming back. So it stands to reason the USPS might not need as many of them.

You got yourself all worked up over a nothingburger. You blamed DeJoy when the plan was in place before he was even appointed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    USPS Saturday Night Massacre?

FALSE. nobody was actually massacred

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    USPS Saturday Night Massacre?

FALSE. nobody was actually massacred
    They were promoted

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You got yourself all worked up over a nothingburger. You blamed DeJoy when the plan was in place before he was even appointed.

Trying to pin this on Obama now.

What has changed between 2012 and 2020?

Anything?

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count

So a decrease in volume is a reason to turn them off and not use them. As the article states, it doesn't make any sense that they would take the machines offsite and in some cases break them down. That's the part you're ignoring and intentionally not addressing.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    lol the author

https://www.linkedin.com/in/nharpermn/

Political lawyer, educator, and reformer. I love law, policy, and process; I hate politics
    We've got another hnest brker on our hands

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From rando medium article:

People have claimed that Trump wants to slow down mail delivery through DeJoy in order to rig the election. Trump, being who he is, proved them right by admitting it in public. He stated that he didn’t want to give USPS money because it would enable them to deliver mail ballots more efficiently.

I believe Trump.

TSA thinks Trump is flat out lying.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Except for muh second amendment tho
    even that has been PERVERTED from an inducement to (Southern) slave owners to sign the Cons ution:

"permitting arms (single shot muskets and pistols) for posses to hunt escaped slaves"

to

"high-capacity military assault weapons everywhere, all the time for everyone with no permit or regulations, for profit"

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Trying to pin this on Obama now.

What has changed between 2012 and 2020?

Anything?
    Somehow when Obama implemented USPS cost cutting measures, he did so without causing complete revolt by USPS workers and also with minimal impact on when mail is delivered.

Election or no election, if Obama appointed a postmaster general who immediately made a bunch of sweeping changes resulting veterans being unable to reliably get prescriptions by mail, that repressed got Lindsay Graham would have been crying bloody murder and launching an investigation.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TSA is gone. lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TSA is gone. lol
    Lol. Disappearing.jpg

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Route_scandal

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this is Doctorow's lede
    After decades of a grinding bipartisan war of attrition waged by Congress against the US Postal Service, the US mail is now under direct assault from Trump and his crony, the new Postmaster General, Louis DeJoy.
    page one framing, for those still interesting in discussing the background who haven't dived in yet

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So where did the equipment go?
    when, if ever, is it coming back.

Are the replacement machines ordered? when will they arrive?

Dave Partenheimer sounds like a bureaucratic weasel lifer, a Good German, who will do, say whatever the boss wants.

USPS long time employees have said they have never seen anything like the current Dejoy shenanigans, which are obviously "bad faith"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    page one framing, for those still interesting in discussing the background who haven't dived in yet
    Physical assault no doubt, maybe even sexual assault.

Thread Information