Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
    White Mormon Pride The TroutBum's Avatar
    Post Count
    I'm with you, Cuban -- go back a few fights and read what I was writing about Jones; I wanted to bang his taint, but NOW... I ing loathe that y . I might even root for Rashad.

Just kidding, Rashad is as worthless as a bag of goat foreskins.

I'm rooting for Rashad just cause I wanna see everyone lose at least once and I don't count the dq as a true loss

Next year crucial for Jones' legacy

Saturday night in Denver, it was UFC play-by-play man Mike Goldberg’s turn to hand out the superlatives.

“A talent like never seen before in UFC history!” Goldberg declared, in the familiar cadence so inexorably linked now with action in the Octagon. “Jon 'Bones' Jones wants to challenge the light heavyweight record of five successful [ le] defenses turned in by o Ortiz!”

Had Goldy been talking about any other 24-year-old making the first defense of a championship he’d held for barely six months, these words might have seemed like puffery. They might have seemed over the top, or at least like a very bad omen for the kid’s future, since the comments actually came before Jon Jones entered the cage to fight Quinton Jackson.

Yet on Monday, it feels like Goldy was just saying what many of us are thinking. After watching Jones effortlessly rout Jackson in their main event fight at UFC 135, the MMA community seems fairly evenly split between people who are ready to put Jones on the cusp of greatness and those who claim, more and more desperately perhaps, that they’re not fully sold on him.

In this case, the wonderful thing about the fight game is that over the next calendar year, we’re likely going to find out exactly what we’ve got in Jones. His win over Jackson was great -- anticlimactic in its dominance, actually -- but the next 12 months figure to be critical in determining his legacy in the sport.

It doesn’t take a UFC matchmaker to plot out the immediate future: Barring serious injury or other unforeseen setbacks, Jones’ next few bouts will come against a murderer’s row of compe ion that includes Rashad Evans, the winner of Dan Henderson versus Mauricio Rua and the winner of an expected, but as-yet unconfirmed fight between Lyoto Machida and Phil Davis.

If he can pull it off, it’ll put him one defense shy of Ortiz’s record and amount -- speaking of superlatives--– to the greatest run in the history of the UFC light heavyweight le. Not even Ortiz, Chuck Liddell or Randy Couture faced such a stiff level of compe ion during their respective reigns. If Jones emerges victorious from this gamut of challengers, he’ll solidify his place among the greatest 205-pounders ever and possibly topple Anderson Silva as the world’s pound-for-pound best.

If he can’t? Well, there is already a significant contingent of MMA fans ready to jump out of the bushes and scream, “Overrated!” Certainly, a second career defeat and the loss of his le during this stretch wouldn’t totally derail Jones’ career, but it would make him look a lot more like everybody else in the division -- a cadre of easy-come, easy-go champions who’ve been trading the belt back and forth for the past four years.

Precisely because of this weight class's chaotic recent history, we all know full well how dangerous it can be to declare anyone the future. This was a lesson learned the hard way when the UFC’s self-described “Machida Era” fizzled after less than a year. On the other hand, it would be disingenuous not to acknowledge the scope of Jones’ potential at this point.

It would also be unfair not to mention the very next thing Goldberg said about Jones after tabbing him a unique talent and a candidate to overtake Ortiz as the greatest 205-pound champion of all time:

“The pressure and expectations [are] larger than they have ever been.”

Considering how the next year of his career will look, you can say that again.

http://espn.go.com/blog/mma/post?id=4402

PRICELESS SPURS FAN polandprzem's Avatar
    Post Count

pick up other interviews as well - esp rampage

Post Count
    All in all happened what I was afraid it would.

Rampage was unable to get inside because of Jones great foot movement and kicks.
    Jackson was in his best shape but as he said there was no Rampage in this fight. And it seems like all recent fights of his looks the same and he says the same.
    He was wrestling really nice and was able to escape from the mount.
    Also he avoided some damage from Bones elbows. He was well prepared when it comes to defense. Execution was his problem. If he as he said walked through Jones strikes he could connect.

I thought he will be more upset and angry and losing his motivation but he looked happy he had the camp of his life. Good for him and hopefully he will come back and gives few more gr8 fights.

Jones was crawling starting the fight just like Shad did. Similar gameplan?

All in all Bones looked stressed and he was trying to shake this off him. On weight ins and entering the arena. When he will get that fighters confidence he will be close to unstoppable

And he and Shad really are not talking. Well Jones was more disrespectful towards Shad. And you could see Greg being disappointed watching it. And did Evans walked to say hi to Bones team?

I would love to see primetime Shad vs Jones

King Mo vs Rampage in Japan - why not?

Kos did what he was suppose to. Him going up division is not a good idea. And him saying that means he is not looking at the championship now.

Diaz - I hate his at ude. But he absolutely killed Gomi, and Gomi might be released. Bad performance and he is not getting better.
    Ferguson winning makes the 155div even more stacked.
    It's so stacked it's insane

Mark Hunt - wow just wow. I though Big Ben will take him down and pound out. Hunt made adjustments in his game and he got the W.
    The guys were tired as . And polish commentators said it was unnecessary round that round 3

Joe Rogan knows nothing - Steven knows cause he is a fighter!

is this a joke? I REALLY hope he was drunk. That was 5 minutes of facepalming for me

To be expected:

UFC 135 suspensions: Champ Jon Jones out six months unless cleared by doctor

The full list of UFC 135 medical suspensions includes:

Jon Jones: Suspended 180 days (or 45 days with physican clearance)
    Quinton Jackson: Suspended 60 days with no contact during training for 45 days
    Matt Hughes: Suspended 45 days no contact for 30 days
    Mark Hunt: Suspended 45 days no contact for 30 days
    Ben Rothwell: Suspended 60 days with no contact for 45 days
    Takanori Gomi: Suspended 30 days
    Aaron Riley: Suspended 180 days (or 90 days with physician clearance)
    Nick Ring: Suspended 30 days
    Eddie Yagin: Suspended 30 days
    Cole Escovedo: Suspended 45 days no contact for 30 days
    Ricardo Romero: Suspended 60 days with no contact for 45 days
    James Te Huna: Suspended 180 days for injuries (or a minimum 30 Days with physician clearance)

http://mmajunkie.com/news/25426/ufc-...ie.com+Feed%29

Post Count
    Joe Rogan knows nothing - Steven knows cause he is a fighter!
    Not sure if this is sarcasm, but for those of you who think that Joe Rogan doesn't have any martial arts experience:

Martial arts

During high school, Rogan was a prac ioner of Taekwondo and gained a black belt at age 15. He went on to become a four-time state champion in Massachusetts, and a U.S. Open Taekwondo champion. His record as a kickboxer is 2-1.[citation needed]

In 1996, Rogan began training in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu under Carlson Gracie at his school in Hollywood, California. After Gracie relocated to Chicago, Rogan later began training under Jean Jacques Machado, (a cousin of the Gracie family), eventually earning his brown belt under Machado.[6] In addition, Rogan holds a brown belt in 10th Planet Jiu-Jitsu under Eddie Bravo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Rogan

Jonnybones Jon Bones Jones
    Coach Wink and I analyzed the UFC 135 performance and discussed big changes that needs 2 be made for the Evans fight. Glad to have homework

Post Count
    Not sure if this is sarcasm, but for those of you who think that Joe Rogan doesn't have any martial arts experience:

Martial arts

During high school, Rogan was a prac ioner of Taekwondo and gained a black belt at age 15. He went on to become a four-time state champion in Massachusetts, and a U.S. Open Taekwondo champion. His record as a kickboxer is 2-1.[citation needed]

In 1996, Rogan began training in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu under Carlson Gracie at his school in Hollywood, California. After Gracie relocated to Chicago, Rogan later began training under Jean Jacques Machado, (a cousin of the Gracie family), eventually earning his brown belt under Machado.[6] In addition, Rogan holds a brown belt in 10th Planet Jiu-Jitsu under Eddie Bravo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Rogan
    That was a sarcasm

I knew Rogan was training martial arts but I never looked at his resume.
    Impressive

Fight video journal of Jones training for Rampage

http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/09/2...c-135-edition/

jimrome Jim Rome
    Jon Jones told the Jungle why he rejected the chance to have Steven Seagal in his corner. http://t.co/bDXW7wqN

jimrome Jim Rome
    #UFC champ @Jonnybones told me it's personal with Rashad Evans & he has a how-to manual for beating him.

http://t.co/OUuWIRGx

Did Jones run smart or scared? (Ans: Yes)

http://espn.go.com/blog/mma/post?id=4480
    Last edited by ace3g; 09-30-2011 at 12:30 PM.

Post Count
    I've been reading a lot of people online having issues with Bones and his side kicks to the knees of opponents. What are your guys opinions on this?

Do you think Bones is doing anything wrong even though it isn't illegal? or should that type of strike be banned from MMA?
    Bones was doing nasty things but allowed ones.

And IMO this strike should be banned cause it can damage your knee badly, and take you out of the sport for a while.

Did you all noticed how many guys now using front kicks?
    After this KO on Belford I can see in every UFC event.

Now Jones was using dtrikes to the knee effectivly so I can assume it will be used more and more now.

Also stomps should be banned.
    I would like to see 6-12 elbows allowed as well as knee to a 'On knees vel hands on the mat" oponent to the head

Post Count

Also stomps should be banned.
    I would like to see 6-12 elbows allowed as well as knee to a 'On knees vel hands on the mat" oponent to the head
    What the ? Ban foot stomps, but allow knees to the head. Got it.

Post Count
    Foot stomps can easily broke your bones but has not much impact on the game

You can knee in the head in a Thai clinch, and damn you can kick in the head

got it

Post Count
    Foot stomps can easily broke your bones but has not much impact on the game

You can knee in the head in a Thai clinch, and damn you can kick in the head

got it
    Good point. Knees and kicks to the face don't break bones, especially when the person receiving those knees and kicks has their head/body on the canvas.

Look Poland, I know English isn't your first language, but seriously, stop posting.

Post Count
    I'm sorry to hear that English is your first language

head/body on the canvas?

I never said that.
    Reading with understanding is not your strength

Post Count
    I'm sorry to hear that English is your first language

head/body on the canvas?

I never said that.
    Reading with understanding is not your strength
    When you said:
    I assumed that you meant 6-12 elbows and knees to a grounded opponent. "On knees vel hands on the mat" doesn't really clear anything up. But ya, totally ban foot stomps, that will save some fighters careers.

Post Count
    If I ment grounded I would say that

The thing is that a fighter can stand straight on his feet and keep fingers on the mat and you cannot hit him with the knee. But when he is bend and even has a lower position then the previous one I mentioned you thai clinch him then you can hit him with a knee.

Same situation when a fighter is only on his knees

Post Count
    Also 6-12 elbows are allowed when you are on the ground

Side elbows are more dangerous, but oh well

Thread Information