Page 10 of 34 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's really pretty simple fuzzbrain. Congress writes the laws, not the President.
    And everybody who takes Civics knows it - including "cons utional scholar" Obama who himself said 22-23 times that he's not authorized to do it and went ahead and did it anyways. Whatever happened to his promise to uphold the cons ution.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They're called activist judges, and have been the main vehicles for progressive change the last 70 years. You think people voted for the Anchor Baby provision? Who do you think struck down Prop 187?

The SCOTUS is their main pet project. Once they have a majority on the court, the Cons ution is what they say it is.

"This here looks like a provincial do ent written by evil slave owning racist white men." - wise latina
    Meh. You just want "activist" judges that agree with you. You don't really want impartiality.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    An astute online comment has some wondering whether Brexit may ever happen

The speculative comment lays out a scenario under which Brexit might be averted. A redux of the argument goes like this:

British Prime Minster David Cameron had said that he would invoke Article 50 — which establishes a timetable for formally breaking up with the E.U. — if his country voted to leave the E.U. In fact, he'd said he would do it the morning after.

Instead, in announcing his impending resignation, he may be trying to shield his legacy by passing the responsibility of triggering a potentially catastrophic Brexit to his successor.

Given that Cameron's likely successors are Brexit supporters from within his party, one might think that they would simply go ahead and invoke Article 50, setting the E.U. pullout process in motion.

But, as Teebs notes, these likely successors have been quite subdued in their remarks since the referendum — and some are nowhere to be found.

Boris Johnson, London's former mayor and a favorite to succeed Cameron, has said that there is no need to trigger Article 50 right away.

Other "Brexiteers" from within Cameron's Conservative Party have simply avoided the question.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...y-ever-happen/

Dang, the Post there nailed it.

The bloviating s in the UK conservative movement just torpedoed themselves. They pushed, got what they wanted, and then realized that required grown up decisions.

What's funny is DJT is probably oblivious to it. And by funny, I mean sad.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he's not authorized to do it and went ahead and did it anyways
    You Lie (as do the people who fed you this stinkin bull )

If Obama violated the Cons ution with his Exec Orders, why aren't the Repugs impeaching him?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Typical Boutons Hyperbole. The UK contributes 8.5 BILLION Pounds more to the EU than they get back from the EU.

Boutons was referring to Cornwall, the county.

Not UK, the country.

That little "r" messes me up too, sometimes. (not being snarky, it really has caused me some fits when it comes to researching stuff)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting looking at the futures market for Monday...pound is up almost 10%, Euro up almost 3%.

Banks are getting slaughtered. Citi and Morgan Stanley down 9%.

FTSE's off about 2.5% as of now.
    http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=^ftse

Pound is down 1.6%
    http://finance.yahoo.com/market-overview/

Seriously thinking about borrowing a bit of money and taking the family to see Great Britain.

Things are looking up for RG's family vacation fund.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The ruling elite is out of touch on both sides of the pond. Absent that Trump wouldn't be a credible nominee.
    heh, putting "Trump" and "credible" in the same sentence makes my brain hurt.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And everybody who takes Civics knows it - including "cons utional scholar" Obama who himself said 22-23 times that he's not authorized to do it and went ahead and did it anyways. Whatever happened to his promise to uphold the cons ution.
    Expand on that a bit please. Not sure what the issue is, and thumbing through the last page or two's posts didn't help. What are you talking about?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Boutons was referring to Cornwall, the county.

Not UK, the country.

That little "r" messes me up too, sometimes. (not being snarky, it really has caused me some fits when it comes to researching stuff)
    I understood that.

Let me give you guys an analogy.

Some states in the US send more money in taxes to Washington than they get back in benefits. Some send less than they get back in benefits.

Lets say we have a state in the US that sends 18.5 billion dollars in taxes to Washington every year and gets back 10 billion in benefits from the Federal government.

If they don't have to send the 18.5 billion to Washington they are more than capable of making up the 10 billion that they were getting from Washington.

That is the situation the UK was in with the EU except that the EU doesn't supply any infrastructure at all like we have in the US.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You Lie (as do the people who fed you this stinkin bull )

If Obama violated the Cons ution with his Exec Orders, why aren't the Repugs impeaching him?
    Because they are feckless and weak - look at what they did with the budget - got into bed with the Dems and Obama - increased social spending for military spending - some opposition party. The states led by Texas sued.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Expand on that a bit please. Not sure what the issue is, and thumbing through the last page or two's posts didn't help. What are you talking about?
    Obama Argued Against Executive Amnesty 22 Times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBVl63yTmkI

Shorter one - claims 25 times:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-ssumIZIbY
    Last edited by rmt; 06-27-2016 at 12:58 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's really pretty simple fuzzbrain. Congress writes the laws, not the President.
    President enforces the law, pedobear.

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Globalists digging for any loophole, any way out of Brexit that allows them to keep their power. And Boo s is cheering them on every step of the way, siding Goldman Sachs.

Today's leftists

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I understood that.

Some states in the US send more money in taxes to Washington than they get back in benefits. Some send less than they get back in benefits.

Lets say we have a state in the US that sends 18.5 billion dollars in taxes to Washington every year and gets back 10 billion in benefits from the Federal government.

If they don't have to send the 18.5 billion to Washington they are more than capable of making up the 10 billion that they were getting from Washington.

That is the situation the UK was in with the EU except that the EU doesn't supply any infrastructure at all like we have in the US.
    That isn't an analogy. It's a reductio ad absurdum fantasy.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Globalists digging for any loophole, any way out of Brexit that allows them to keep their power. And Boo s is cheering them on every step of the way, siding Goldman Sachs.

Today's leftists
    siding with Wall Street, the Establishment, the elites, the media, all the stars like JK Rowling - all out of touch with the common man.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    President enforces the law, pedobear.
    Each branch tends to thwart the other. It's a feature, not a bug.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unless of course you dislike the results, in which case you say they're uncons utional.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://youtu.be/gQ96KHoYt6s

Ex Muslim says Isis in America.....Repent forgive for your sins....Seek Jesus Christ

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I understood that.

No need for an analogy...

First, Rick Noack detailed how, following Brexit, the county of Cornwall, located in southwestern England, stands to lose approximately 60 million pounds in E.U. subsidies — an “investment” that keeps the municipality afloat. Noack explained the sad state of things in Cornwall, stating that, “the county with more than 500,000 inhabitants is considered one of Britain’s poorest regions, and experts say further funding cuts could be catastrophic.”

Next, The Post’s Max Ehrenfreund wrote that, “the people who will suffer the most severe impact of Brexit don’t live in the U.K.” The most vulnerable victims of Brexit are those who could lose British foreign aid as a result of the vote changing the E.U. foreign-aid formulary under which Britain must give, Ehrenfreund wrote. He went on to explain that Great Britain “has committed to spending 0.7 percent of national income on foreign aid — about 12.2 billion pounds.” Ehrenfreund gives the specific example of Ethiopia, which received 322 million pounds from the U.K. in 2014, or about 0.8 percent of Ethiopia’s economy, and argues that this money is now at risk.

Well, let’s think about that. Let it sink in. Cornwall, which is located in the U.K., may lose its E.U. subsidy — and the U.K. might stop shipping some of its money to Ethiopia. Do you suppose British subjects in Cornwall wonder why they have to depend on a subsidy from the E.U. in Brussels while their government in London is sending more than five times that amount to Ethiopia? Maybe U.K. voters would prefer that Cornwall look to London for assistance and Ethiopia could take a haircut on what they receive from British taxpayers. It makes sense that British voters would want these decisions made by their government in London.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Each branch tends to thwart the other. It's a feature, not a bug.
    Checks and balances indeed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That isn't an analogy. It's a reductio ad absurdum fantasy.
    It seems like a fair analogy to me, except it misses the parts where the overall benefit of infrastructure, and trade with other states offsets the cost.

Failure to fully consider all evidence, costs, and benefits is a very common failing in the way many people view governments.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unless of course you dislike the results, in which case you say they're uncons utional.
    Its extraordinarily inefficient. But it clearly was well-intended from a distribution of power point of view.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    (((Elena Kagan))) is the least qualified justice to ever sit on the court. Purely a product of Jewish nepotism.

Don't even get me started on Sotomayor.
    This is the Justice that Anthony Scalia looked forward to becoming a part of the Supreme Court as he wanted a person intellectual enough to see through the politics. Scalia looked forward to discussions with Kagan and was gratified when she was confirmed.

So...

There's that... Damn Catholic Scalia joining the Jews in a new world order... yeah...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No need for an analogy...
    There are very few government choices of consequence that work out helping every individual.

And yes this was a government choice. They put up a referendum. Specifically Cameron thought he could negotiate a better deal for GB with the EU, which he did. He used the threat of a referendum as leverage. Now GB will feel the pain. There are very few groups that will be better off economically at least the next few years. Maybe some foreign companies stealing British labels for a fabricated product. Some specialized international lawyers will make some bucks...

Thread Information