Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    These quotes go against what Pop said in his opening press conference to start the season. He's gaslighting us into thinking that this was the plan all season. At around the 11 minute mark of his media day he gets asked about winning. He starts of by saying, "It's inherrently obvious that we want to win." "Development is great... adding a player of Victor's ability makes your prospects look better." "This year with development... the important factor to enhance that development is winning. Winning is as important this year as learning was in the past. They need to continue to learnand to add more wins.... it's mandatory... and helpful."

No one was expecting the Spurs to win a le this season. Or even compete for the playoffs. Fans were led to believe that winning was the most important factor here. Last season was supposed to be about development and this year about winning. That has definitely not been the case. Even the first quote about it being inherrently obvious that they want to win. You don't do that by playing a player out of position for a quarter of the season. Fans have the right to be upset and question the direction of the team when your head coach has deviated from what was expressed at the onset of the season.

Do you really think he’s going to come out in the opening press conference and say “ Yeah, we’re going to be in the tank again”.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    Do you really think he’s going to come out in the opening press conference and say “ Yeah, we’re going to be in the tank again”.
    Spurs were a contender until Victor tweaked his ankle.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No.
    As much as i believe "I'll retire when Tim Duncan does."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You thought they were going to win more games than last year. You even answered "Yes" to if the Spurs were going to make the play-in. Apparently you believed what Pop was selling at the beginning of the season too.

Yeah, posters are saying we’ll win 10 more games. We could have won 10 more games last year if we were trying. We beat both Finals teams and Milwaukee. We took Phoenixdown to the wire late in the season. It wasn’t a good team, but it also wasn’t a 22 win team without a LOT of effort.
    I don't see how we don't go over 30.5. Portland was low key tanking last year after the deadline, and they won 33 games, finishing with the 5th worst record. They weren't nearly as good defensively as this squad will be.

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The quotes manufan10 provided are a stark illustration just how pathetically bad this team is. You take a 22 win team, which was really a 32 team win team, per exstatic... and add Wemby, and turn into a team on pace to win 16 games. That so bad, it's almost impressive.

Yeah, if I were cranking out such terrible results at my job, I'd also be telling people they just need to be patient.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The benefit is to get a top 6 draft pick.

I'm not a fan at all of Spurs/Pop tanking this season (with things like the Sochan at PG experiment) but this "plan" has this edge.
    1. None of this dysfunction was necessary for a top 6 pick.

2. A top 6 pick in this draft is hardly a sure thing. You ask 10 people who are the top 5 players in this year’s draft and you will get 5 different answers. Tanking made a lot of sense last year. This year, they’re not tanking, they’re just terribly coached.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You thought they were going to win more games than last year. You even answered "Yes" to if the Spurs were going to make the play-in. Apparently you believed what Pop was selling at the beginning of the season too.
    now this idiot is acting like he knew all along

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pounding the rock is just the Popovich excuse for „trying some dumb way too long instead of doing the obvious“ just like not starting a PG for half the season.

This franchise will only see success once the old man is retired. And sadly I think he wants to pound the rock until he can prove that he can win another le without Tim. His ego is that big.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The quotes manufan10 provided are a stark illustration just how pathetically bad this team is. You take a 22 win team, which was really a 32 team win team, per exstatic... and add Wemby, and turn into a team on pace to win 16 games. That so bad, it's almost impressive.
    Record isn't everything. This year's Spurs team is better than last year's in terms of net scoring margin, -8.7 this year and -10.0 last year. Both numbers are putrid but +1.3 is a not insignificant difference.

In addition, the Spurs were at -11.9 before Tre Jones entered the starting lineup (after game 33), meaning they are around -3.1 since then (19 games) if I am doing the math right.

The Sochan at PG experiment was a disaster. With Tre starting at PG, and admittedly an easier schedule, the team is looking at least semi competent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pounding the rock is just the Popovich excuse for „trying some dumb way too long instead of doing the obvious“ just like not starting a PG for half the season.

This franchise will only see success once the old man is retired. And sadly I think he wants to pound the rock until he can prove that he can win another le without Tim. His ego is that big.
    for all the pounding the rock talk, he hasnt shown that he can actually build a team, gradually, from scratch. as GM, he took over for a team with a megastar in david robinson that was already a perennial playoff team. as a coach, he took over a team midseason during a tank year, and rookie tim duncan was already freakin all-nba first team, and they won a chip year 2.

im not saying pops not a great coach. you cant deny the spurs transformations through the years, incorporating the big 3, transitioning to the beautiful game, developing kawhi, etc etc.

but for all the talk about not skipping steps the guy walked into situations both as a GM and coach with a lot of skipped steps

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Or you can just let people talk what they want to talk about and stop trying to dictate discussion like you're in charge of anything here. you're always ting on ST and it's posters, maybe it's you who should go post somewhere else

You also thought this team was gonna win 40 games rofl

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

if it works out, i'll take it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So many people here are ok with being bad that it’s scary. I can’t think of any top 20 of all time that lost this badly their rookie year. Durant maybe? Ofc I never seen a team deliberately sabotage their best player either to focus on other players bc they just “know” that Wemby doesn’t need to be the focus long term. That he’ll be just fine.

Historically this season is a major red flag. Because I still don’t think the Spurs are using Victor correctly. I guess if we are using the Durant comparison all the way with Victor, they had to fire their coach and get a new one in order for him to succeed. Durant correctly left too. We have about 3 more seasons of cheap Victor. We need to make these count. Rookie max Victor is going to eat quite a bit of cap space. And supermax Victor will be much harder to build around financially. Spurs better quit this slow when it comes to this. We cannot tank the whole damn time he is on his rookie deal. And tbh if we keep this same exact team next year plus 2 draft picks, we are tanking again next year too

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So many people here are ok with being bad that it’s scary. I can’t think of any top 20 of all time that lost this badly their rookie year. Durant maybe? Ofc I never seen a team deliberately sabotage their best player either to focus on other players bc they just “know” that Wemby doesn’t need to be the focus long term. That he’ll be just fine.

Historically this season is a major red flag. Because I still don’t think the Spurs are using Victor correctly. I guess if we are using the Durant comparison all the way with Victor, they had to fire their coach and get a new one in order for him to succeed. Durant correctly left too. We have about 3 more seasons of cheap Victor. We need to make these count. Rookie max Victor is going to eat quite a bit of cap space. And supermax Victor will be much harder to build around financially. Spurs better quit this slow when it comes to this. We cannot tank the whole damn time he is on his rookie deal. And tbh if we keep this same exact team next year plus 2 draft picks, we are tanking again next year too
    How should they use Victor?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Record isn't everything. This year's Spurs team is better than last year's in terms of net scoring margin, -8.7 this year and -10.0 last year. Both numbers are putrid but +1.3 is a not insignificant difference.

In addition, the Spurs were at -11.9 before Tre Jones entered the starting lineup (after game 33), meaning they are around -3.1 since then (19 games) if I am doing the math right.

The Sochan at PG experiment was a disaster. With Tre starting at PG, and admittedly an easier schedule, the team is looking at least semi competent.
    I'm not as upset at Sochans time spent playing PG because I think it's undeniable it greatly sped up his development. His smooth handles in traffic and in the paint when he's trying to finess a better shot came directly from that extra time spent running the offense. Niw he's not a long term solution at PG but it helped his game. And let's be clear, Tre running point isn't our long term solution either.

This is one case where I don't contest Pop's moves

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    for all the pounding the rock talk, he hasnt shown that he can actually build a team, gradually, from scratch. as GM, he took over for a team with a megastar in david robinson that was already a perennial playoff team. as a coach, he took over a team midseason during a tank year, and rookie tim duncan was already freakin all-nba first team, and they won a chip year 2.

im not saying pops not a great coach. you cant deny the spurs transformations through the years, incorporating the big 3, transitioning to the beautiful game, developing kawhi, etc etc.

but for all the talk about not skipping steps the guy walked into situations both as a GM and coach with a lot of skipped steps
    Yeah, I'm not ting on the Pop of old. I just got a lot of criticism for Pop after the 2014 chip. I think that one really fed his ego, although it really was the best coaching job I've ever seen. I think that's where the whole "bigger than basketball" thing began. Where Pop thought he can just do team dinners and show videos of penguins and even a team of scrubs would be successful when they like each other off the court. That's also when RC Buford started to cry in every interview how they are turning these rookies into real men and caring more about that than actual basketball skills. When we handed out multi-year contracts for charity cases, etc. A lot of stuff went left since then.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There’s all this talk about trusting the process. It’s not like there is a set process that if we just follow it will lead to success. Has anybody even seen the “process” defined anywhere ?

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    How should they use Victor?
    I'd rather see them just go to Victor on every play to see what he does. Do that for about 10 straight games. What's the worst that could happen? There's no reason to "develop" scrubs, the league has no shortage of them.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    I'm not as upset at Sochans time spent playing PG because I think it's undeniable it greatly sped up his development. His smooth handles in traffic and in the paint when he's trying to finess a better shot came directly from that extra time spent running the offense. Niw he's not a long term solution at PG but it helped his game. And let's be clear, Tre running point isn't our long term solution either.

This is one case where I don't contest Pop's moves
    the Sochan experiment. Where's the Victor experiment, where Victor gets the ball?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd rather see them just go to Victor on every play to see what he does. Do that for about 10 straight games. What's the worst that could happen? There's no reason to "develop" scrubs, the league has no shortage of them.
    This isn’t how real life works. Absolutely no NBA team will do this. Do you want to go back to playing NBA 2k and let the adults talk about things that actually have a chance to happen?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the Sochan experiment. Where's the Victor experiment, where Victor gets the ball?
    It's a long term positive for Jeremy's development WITH Wemby. They play MUCH better with one another already this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "the core"

This team is there's no possibility of a core

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    It's a long term positive for Jeremy's development WITH Wemby. They play MUCH better with one another already this year.
    The Spurs are a re . The experiment make them a re that can button his shirt. Totally worth it.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    This isn’t how real life works. Absolutely no NBA team will do this. Do you want to go back to playing NBA 2k and let the adults talk about things that actually have a chance to happen?
    It was asked. I know they won't do it. No other NBA team would draft Victor and have Sochan running the point. What, is Brian Wright going to consult with you?

Thread Information