Post Count
    Ph.D. student tackled by cops for 'stealing' own car

settles lawsuit for $1.25 million

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat....html#nws=true

totally worth it for 1.25 mil

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DNA-Matching Company Decides To Open Its Doors To The FBI Without Bothering To Inform Its Users

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...rm-users.shtml

Just wait until the insurance companies start to get this info.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dozens of Cities Have Secretly Experimented With Predictive Policing Software

Do ents obtained by Motherboard using public information requests verify previously unconfirmed police department contracts with predictive policing company PredPol.

PredPol claims to use an algorithm to predict crime in specific 500-foot by 500-foot sections of a city, so that police can patrol or surveil specific areas more heavily.

PredPol contract negotiation emails with government officials—were obtained from the police departments of
    South Jordan, UT;
    Mountain View, CA;
    Atlanta, GA;
    Haverhill, GA;
    Palo Alto, CA;
    Modesto, CA;
    Merced, CA;
    Livermore, CA;
    Tacoma, WA; and the
    University of California, Berkeley

using public records requests.

When reached for comment by Motherboard, PredPol CEO Brian MacDonald said that the number of active PredPol customers is a "confidential internal metric."

Predpol
    explicitly encouraged police departments to dedicate their resources towards petty crime,

"Problem solving... that is oriented towards reducing misdemeanor crime may also reduce felony crime,”

“PredPol's boxes are chosen using only the what, when, and where of incidents that have already occurred in your city,”

We take anywhere from 3-10 years of crime data and run the relevant points of information through our algorithm. Long and short term trends, recurring events, and environmental factors are all taken into account.”

Predictive policing is “driven by what seems to be objective historical data that itself reflects longstanding and pervasive bias,” Buttar said.

“If you overpolice certain communities, and only detect crime within those communities, and

then try to provide a heat map of predictions,

any AI will predict that crimes will occur in the places that they’ve happened before.”

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/a...icing-software

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Volunteers, activists, journalists interrogated at border about caravan

Many who know they are flagged now think twice before crossing the border,

recognizing they will have to give up time and information each time they head to the U.S.

They wonder whether CBP’s intelligence gathering might be

meant to intimidate them or prevent them from doing the work they had been doing south of the border.

Exactly how much authority border officials have to search and interrogate versus how much civil rights protect individuals passing through is still being litigated in court, particularly when it comes to cellphone and laptop searches.

“It’s a very tricky area of law because it’s developing, and we’re seeing

a highly aggressive series of behaviors,”

The way journalists and humanitarian activists described being targeted by CBP

could be infringing on their cons utional rights under the First Amendment,

a volunteer and photographer who didn’t want his last name used because he worried about retaliation from CBP, said he hasn’t gone back to Tijuana since he was stopped at the border.

“I’m very intimidated at the moment,” said Rodrigo, who is also a U.S. citizen. “I don’t feel safe going across the border. I really don’t.”

Jake Harris, another U.S. citizen ... He’s been sent to secondary inspection seven times, every time he’s crossed the border since the beginning of January.

https://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-...s=mcnewsletter

CBP is an extrajudicial, non-Cons utional Schutzstaffel

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Incarcerated women have to work two weeks to buy a box of tampons

across the country, imprisoned people earn as little as
    $0.09 an hour for mandated labor.

In some states, like Texas, Georgia, and Arkansas, it’s legal to
    not pay them anything.

Yet, a majority of them are required to work 40 hour work-weeks and are punished if they don’t.

In New York, the State legislature
    just introduced the “Prison Minimum Wage” Act

to finally increase the wages incarcerated people earn to $3.00 an hour.

Representatives have done so

to recognize the labor, goods, and millions in revenue incarcerated people contribute to the state, and

acknowledge they deserved to be treated with respect and dignity for their work.

-- email from Kos Liberation League

=================

Prison Labor

A CURATED COLLECTION OF LINKS

https://washingtonpress.com/2019/02/13/trumps-evangelical-advisor-just-launched-a-personal-attack-against-anti-trump-christians/?fbclid=IwAR0nLL4OIpS-wXmbyq3BovT8gBGqzUpetcTWxcAqLIXVrqWoVBaroL7Drr0

====================
    Amendment XIII

Section 1.

Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude,

except as a punishment

for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted,

shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

=========

So slavery and enforced servitude are Cons utionally LEGAL in the USA as "punishment" in the American Gulag.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Women Complain Of Humiliating, Illegal Strip Searches In San Francisco Jail

Female inmates claim they were

forced to get naked,

squat and cough

while male deputies watched.

In California, strip searches of inmates must be conducted in an area with privacy, and with no one of the opposite sex within sight.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/san-f...gEmail__021519

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    U.S.-born Latinas, harassed by border agent for speaking Spanish while grocery shopping, sue

Mimi Hernandez and Ana Suda, the two U.S.-born Latinas who were illegally targeted by an out-of-control federal immigration agent after he eavesdropped on them speaking Spanish while shopping

“Ana and Mimi refuse to accept an out-of-control CBP as a fact of life. “

Patrol officer Paul O'Neal decided not to mind his own business last May when he was in line behind Ana and Mimi and

overheard them speaking Spanish: He demanded to know where they were born and to see their identification.

“He detained them by his patrol car, in full view of neighbors, for an extended period before finally letting them return to their homes and families,”

Suda, a nursing assistant, said the repercussions from the incident continue to this day.

She’s been harassed by people since going public, and

her 8-year-old daughter is now scared to speak Spanish

I think about my kids. I want them to not only be proud of being bilingual, but I also want them to know that they live in a country where people can’t just be stopped and interrogated based on how they look and sound.”

“Within the 100-mile zone,” the ACLU
    told Mother Jones last year,“CBP agents can set up permanent and temporary checkpoints and

have some ability to cir vent the Fourth Amendment, which protects against unreasonable searches and seizures.”

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/201...tail=emaildkre

"God Damn America" -- Jeremiah Wright

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    11-Year-Old Arrested At School After Refusing To Stand For The Pledge

The sixth-grader’s refusal reportedly led to an argument with his teacher, leading to his arrest.

The teacher asked him: “Why if it was so bad here he did not go to another place to live.”

He replied: “They brought me here.”

She then suggested that he “can always go back.”

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/boy-a...gEmail__021819

Teacher got fired out of the entire school system.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    goddamn, sheriff depts seem rotten with less sadists and casual brutality

Florida Deputy Resigns After Video Shows Him Striking Handcuffed Teen

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/lee-c...gEmail__022219

I bet he beats his wife and kids,
    as is common among LE.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    An Arizona cop threatened to arrest a 12-year-old journalist. She wasn’t backing down.

So naturally, she didn’t back down when Joseph Patterson, the town marshal in Patagonia, Ariz., allegedly

threatened to throw her in juvenile jail on Monday,

then falsely claimed it would be illegal for her to film him and publish the video on the Internet.

Instead, she posted their exchange on YouTube and in the Orange Street News — which in turn prompted

town officials to discipline Patterson,

she was riding her bike

to investigate a tip at around 1:30 p.m. on Monday when Patterson, whose position in the small town is
    equivalent to that of a police chief,

stopped her and asked for identification.

The 12-year-old gave her name and phone number and

mentioned that she was a member of the media.

She said Patterson told her,

“I don’t want to hear about any of that freedom-of-the-press stuff”

and added that he would have her arrested and thrown in juvenile jail.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...nl_most&wpmm=1

12 year old GIRL slaps less ignorant fat cop bully

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    These journalists have a list of criminal cops. California is trying to keep it secret.

Two California journalists requested and were given data on police officers’ arrests and convictions over the past 10 years. What they found was surprising: domestic abuse, child molestation — even murder. They were given these do ents through a public records request, something journalists exercise frequently. But California Attorney General Xavier Becerra says it was a mistake, and they never should have received it in the first place. Becerra — whose office was responsible for maintaining the information — said the center that distributed it was not authorized to do so. He wants the Investigative Reporting Program at the University of California at Berkeley, and its two journalists, to destroy the files and refrain from publishing them.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/these-journalists-have-a-list-of-criminal-cops-california-is-trying-to-keep-it-secret/ar-BBUhv8v?ocid=spartandhp

Last edited by MultiTroll; 03-03-2019 at 12:35 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    totally worth it for 1.25 mil
    It's amusing how the narrative is "Ph.D student" as if "innocent man" isn't good enough, they have to qualify it with something "good" for society. Otherwise it's not as interesting. "What? A ing Ph.D. Student? What a waste, he was going to be a good tool for society!"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    White supremacy is everywhere.
    If it was this wouldn't be a story.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Undercover police: Women were 'victims of co-ordinated rape'

A woman who found out her partner was a policeman paid to spy on her group of activists has said she is the victim of a "conspiracy to rape".

An ongoing public inquiry into undercover policing has seen several women get apologies and compensation.

Police said officers who had long-term sexual relationships with their targets "abused their positions".

"They know there was no informed consent.

"It's the whole gang of them, and there's no other way of terming it for me than a gang.

"You've got mentors, you've got handlers a whole backroom team of people monitoring - and directing it would seem - their relationships, their activities."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-47240670

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jury Recommends 20 Years For Security Guard Who Killed Grandpa Playing Pokémon Go

“Mr. Cromwell confronted Mr. Chen by stopping his vehicle directly in front of Mr. Chen’s,” Parr said in a statement.

“Mr. Chen backed up and turned his vehicle around …

Mr. Cromwell had exited his car and did say ‘stop’ before he fired his weapon.”

The security guard said he “kept shooting until the vehicle stopped,”

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/security-guard-charged-in-murder-of-grandpa-playing-pokemon-go-to-bond-with-grandkids_n_5c7eb7b7e4b0e62f69e70ab2?ncid=newsltus hpmgnews__TheMorningEmail__050619

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    American Airlines Apologizes After Kicking Woman and Her Child with Rare Skin Condition Off Flight

The woman and her son have a rare, genetic skin condition called Ichthyosis

“We boarded our American Airlines flight where everyone smiled and talked to Jackson. Before take off a man (employee called on flight to handle the situation)

came up to my row and asked the 2 men sitting next to me to get up,” Flake wrote.

“He then quietly asked me about ‘my rash’ and if I had a

letter from a doctor stating it was ok for me to fly."

Flake then went on to share that she and her son have Ichthyosis — a genetic skin disorder characterized by dry, scaling skin that may be thickened or very thin.

He walked up to the front to talk to the crew. He apparently googled it during that time. He came back and said he apologized but we wouldn’t be able to fly and we had to get off the plane.”

the flight attendant rudely said (without even acknowledging me)

‘Well she doesn’t have a letter from a doctor, so…'”

https://people.com/travel/american-airlines-apologizes-for-kicking-woman-child-off-flight-skin-condition/?ncid=newsltushpmgnews__TheMorningEmail__050619

America The Beautiful produces 10Ms of asshole companies and asshole people

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    L.A. to pay nearly $2 million in suit over sexual assault by LAPD officers

Los Angeles will pay nearly $2 million to settle a lawsuit from a woman who

was sexually assaulted by a pair of LAPD officers,

the
    fourth such assault case L.A. has settled in recent years.

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-doe-settlement-20190305-story.html#nws=mcnewsletter

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Incarceration Nation? It's Multi-Billion $$$ Business

Nearly Half of Americans Have a Close Family Member Who Has Been Incarcerated

A new study highlights the sheer scope of mass incarceration in the United States

“having a family member incarcerated is a ubiquitous experience in the United States,”

one that reflects the reality of living in a country with unmatched incarceration rates.

The rate was particularly high among

African Americans, 63 percent of whom have family members who have been in jail or prison.

For Hispanics, the rate was 48 percent, and

for whites it was 42 percent.

People without a high school degree had the highest ulative risk—60 percent—of having an incarcerated family member.

That risk declined as education level increased,

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/nearly-half-americans-have-close-family-member-who-has-been-incarcerated-180971645/?utm_source=smithsoniandaily&utm_medium=email&utm_ campaign=20190306-daily-responsive&spMailingID=39070419&spUserID=NjY0ODU0N TQ2Mzk1S0&spJobID=1480558118&spReportId=MTQ4MDU1OD ExOAS2

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cops search stage 4 cancer patient's room

https://www.news-leader.com/story/ne...is/3104191002/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NEVER SENTENCED, NEVER RELEASED

Terry Allen was 23 when he was arrested for an alleged sexual assault.

Although he was never convicted of the crime, Allen was sent to an Illinois prison,

where he has remained for nearly four decades with no release date.

Across the country, hundreds of people are incarcerated without convictions for the alleged acts that landed them in prison. Reporter Max
    Green tells the story of one such man.

This episode was produced in collaboration with WBEZ Chicago. You can read WBEZ’s in-depth report
    here.

https://www.wbez.org/shows/wbez-news...a-40af02c1d3b5

The
    "Christian" American Empire's brutal, racist, sadistic, torturing gulag

"correctional" facility? G M A F B

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    100 million traffic stops show massive racial bias in policing

There is racial bias in policing, and a team of Stanford University researchers has erased any shadow of reasonable doubt about it.

While “officers generally stop black drivers at higher rates than white drivers,

and stop Hispanic drivers at similar or lower rates than whites,”

there could conceivably be multiple explanations for that.

But once a driver has been stopped,

black and Hispanic drivers are much more likely to be ticketed, searched, and arrested than white drivers.

In fact,

black drivers are 20 percent more likely and Latino drivers are 30 percent more likely to be ticketed than white drivers.

It doesn’t stop there, though—

they’re also twice as likely to be searched as white drivers.

And are searches of black and Latino drivers more likely to turn up contraband? Nope.

White and black drivers were about equally likely to be found with contraband: 36 percent and 32 percent, respectively.

Just 26 percent of Latino drivers were found with something illegal.

The Stanford researchers designed a test of the data that found that

“police require less su ion to search black and Hispanic drivers than whites. This double standard is evidence of discrimination.”

The researchers looked at

whether black drivers are equally likely to be pulled over at night,

when it’s harder for police to see drivers as cars go by. And guess what!

“After adjusting for the variation in sunset times across the year,

researchers found a 5 to 10 percent drop in the share of stopped drivers after sunset who are black,

suggesting black drivers are being racially profiled during the day.”

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2019/3/14/1842101/-100-million-traffic-stops-show-massive-racial-bias-in-policing?

Law enforcement, polluted with sadists, racists, criminals, wife beaters. simply expresses the White Male Privilege as fundamental to the American so-called Dream.
    Last edited by boutons_deux; 03-19-2019 at 09:51 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man framed for murder gets $13.1-million settlement from San Francisco

San Francisco’s Board of Supervisors on Tuesday approved a $13.1-million settlement for a man who spent six years in prison after

police officers framed him for murder.

Jamal Trulove was convicted in the 2007 killing of his friend, but a state appeals court overturned the conviction in 2014 and he was acquitted in a retrial in 2015.

A federal jury last year awarded Trulove $14.5 million in damages, according to the Associated Press.

At the time, the San Francisco Chronicle reported that jurors found

the two lead homicide inspectors on the case had violated Trulove’s rights by

fabricating evidence against him and

withholding evidence that might have helped him.

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...s=mcnewsletter

And what happens to the two CORRUPT cops, and their supervisor?

Thread Information