Page 103 of 134 FirstFirst ... 3539399100101102103104105106107113 ... LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,575 of 3328
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah, Poeltl got switched on to Morant pretty often. That being said Morant was cooking anyone and everyone.
    this

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Irving put up 57 in 2015. Last year Tatum scored 60 against us. Harden went for 50 in 19/20 as well.
    I forgot about this game. I definitely do remember it now that you brought it up as I said to myself after that game that Kyrie really is a legit high level scorer. For whatever reason, when thinking back on players scoring 50 against the Spurs, I just go back too far into the Kobe, AI, VC, Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, T-Mac era when they were in their prime and don't recall any of them scoring 50 against us. I guess it was hard for individuals to score 50+ against the Spurs when D-Rob and TD where in their primes, especially when TD was in his prime, it wouldn't have been easy for any player to score 50+ against the Spurs.

I am also remembering a double overtime or maybe triple OT game against the Blazers I think it was in 2015. Did Dame score 50+ that game?

And as for games from 2018 onward, I missed quite a few, so I guess I shouldn't have made that statement, as if any players did score 50+, I wouldn't have seen it due not watching all the games the past 4 years or so.

Flat-Earther went for 57 against the Spurs a few years ago tbh.
    Yeah, I clearly remember that game. Forgot about it, so thanks for jogging my memory. Was that in 2015 or 2016, I seem to recall it being around that time.

Irving put up 57 in 2015. Last year Tatum scored 60 against us. Harden went for 50 in 19/20 as well.
    Yep 2015 it was. I seem to have forgotten some of the games towards the end of Tim's career. The rules were also changing around that time as well.

Booker dropped 48 on us, and missed 2 wide open three pointers to try to crack 50 before he was subbed out, this year, January, I believe.
    I probably shouldn't have made that statement since I haven't watched many Spurs games the past 4 years like I used to. I have obviously missed some big games against us.

DJ is my guy, but Ja busy his ass... It happens... He just needs to use it as motivation to get better... I think Ja took the game personally too since Murray is allegedly dating some thot Ja used to
    Darn, if true, sounds like Ja took the game personally and shredded us for it. Not the kind of rival you want to make like that. That kid is supremely talented.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I forgot about this game. I definitely do remember it now that you brought it up as I said to myself after that game that Kyrie really is a legit high level scorer. For whatever reason, when thinking back on players scoring 50 against the Spurs, I just go back too far into the Kobe, AI, VC, Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, T-Mac era when they were in their prime and don't recall any of them scoring 50 against us. I guess it was hard for individuals to score 50+ against the Spurs when D-Rob and TD where in their primes, especially when TD was in his prime, it wouldn't have been easy for any player to score 50+ against the Spurs.

I am also remembering a double overtime or maybe triple OT game against the Blazers I think it was in 2015. Did Dame score 50+ that game?

And as for games from 2018 onward, I missed quite a few, so I guess I shouldn't have made that statement, as if any players did score 50+, I wouldn't have seen it due not watching all the games the past 4 years or so.
    No worries, I wish I had missed some of the games as well. Against Boston we were up by 30 or so and still lost it.
    Man, the days of D-Rob and Tim... You could add Bruce to that list as well. Though he was a tier or two lower as a defender compared to #21 and #50.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Both pace and offensive efficiency are much higher in the last few years than in the TD prime years, so 50-point games are more common overall around the league. The Spurs' recent defense is also nowhere close to the elite unit they were in TD's prime.

https://www.basketball-reference.com..._per_game.html

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/1...angelo-russell

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No worries, I wish I had missed some of the games as well. Against Boston we were up by 30 or so and still lost it.
    Man, the days of D-Rob and Tim... You could add Bruce to that list as well. Though he was a tier or two lower as a defender compared to #21 and #50.
    I always think that Spurs championship runs have one common denominator. Obviously it’s Duncan, but also it is the lockdown perimeter defender. Elliot, Bruce, Kawhi and Green. During the Lakers 3-peat, Elliot had his kidney transplant. But Spurs got back with Bowen pestering Kobe. But Bowen was already old to stay and again we missed after 2007-2012 until we drafted Kawhi and signed Green. Yes it’s the ability to score the ultimately wins it, but it’s great lockdown perimeter defense that tips the balance for Spurs. While Poeltl could be good at the right price, developing a lockdown perimeter defender disrupts that entry and opponents playmaking. Right now Devin is the best candidate, but he has eons to go.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ja is a super athlete. He's probably the most athletic player in the NBA. You can't teach his quickness and his hops. His game is not a game that Murray can replicate.
    Yes... But Ja isn't the only PG effective at driving the lane and scoring at the basket... Murray needs to learn to use his body... He always tries to avoid contact and throw up a shot over the defense...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I believe he will keep those numbers until the end now, very impressive…

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

This is the tweet that was deleted in my last post.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That can't all be due to pace given that he got there in only 60 games.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That can't all be due to pace given that he got there in only 60 games.
    He was also aided by the Spurs having below average DR players at the 4 and 5. His rebound would probably drop a fair big if we have good DR bigs.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was also aided by the Spurs having below average DR players at the 4 and 5. His rebound would probably drop a fair big if we have good DR bigs.
    That's definitely true and I think has alot to do with why this team is at the bottom defensively. Poor rebounding from the frontcourt leading to extra opportunities at open 3s for the opposition. I also think if we had run of the mill athletic 5 Murray would average more assist from throwing lobs. While the pop a shot is money it still doesn't compare to the fg% of dunk off a long.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's definitely true and I think has alot to do with why this team is at the bottom defensively. Poor rebounding from the frontcourt leading to extra opportunities at open 3s for the opposition. I also think if we had run of the mill athletic 5 Murray would average more assist from throwing lobs. While the pop a shot is money it still doesn't compare to the fg% of dunk off a long.
    Jakob.620 13.6 ppg 29.2 minutes
    Capela .599 10.6 ppg 27.7 minutes

Yeah, dunks are the be all and end all of paint scoring.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I’m pretty sure there is something wrong with this analogy. Even Sean wishes Poeltl to dunk them instead of floaters, and we’ve seen many of those point blank layups missed or get blocked. Not to mention the intimidation factor and moral booster of a thunderous dunks do in a game.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Why compare to others? Why don't look at the number of missed lay up that are at the rim that he could just dunk it?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m pretty sure there is something wrong with this analogy. Even Sean wishes Poeltl to dunk them instead of floaters, and we’ve seen many of those point blank layups missed or get blocked. Not to mention the intimidation factor and moral booster of a thunderous dunks do in a game.
    There's nothing wrong with the analogy - Capela is the prototypical "run of the mill athletic 5" and feasted on lobs from Harden for years, yet his numbers are worse than Jakob's, even with all the athleticism and dunks.

What Sean wishes means nothing . Though of course Jakob could dunk more than he does, it doesn't necessarily mean that he'd score more, since he's perfectly capable of making his shots and layups at an above-league-average rate. It's easy to forget dunks aren't some guaranteed 100% shot and can also get blocked both on the wind-up and the execution, or miss the rim (especially if the player isn't used to dunking), etc.

When you accept you're negatively biased against Jakob, your analysis of his game will get much more accurate. Of course you mention "we’ve seen many of those point blank layups missed or get blocked" without mentioning how many of those he makes, his FG%, etc... You literally see only what you want to see, and that which reinforces your preconceptions. Same as the complaints the other day on the Wolves game (not just you, a lot of people fall for this, sadly).

Lastly, on the lobs note, it's sadly much more likely that DJ simply doesn't have the passing accuracy/capability to readily throw lobs at will (yes it's an actual skill and takes practice and touch to develop), and/or that Pop himself doesn't favor a dunk-fueled playstyle. Jakob can dunk, as much as he doesn't do it out of his post moves, yet we've never seen a lob thrown to him - nor to Lonnie, nor Vassell, both of who can dunk too (and yes, guards can dunk and get lobbed to, just ask Vince Carter...). The Spurs as a team don't do lobs. Hopefully we draft an athletic 4/5 to encourage this, but pinning it on Jakob is laughable, sorry to say.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why compare to others? Why don't look at the number of missed lay up that are at the rim that he could just dunk it?
    Why don’t you look up some more dunkers, since it’s your position that they should have a higher FG%?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Better than Porker tbh....

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why don’t you look up some more dunkers, since it’s your position that they should have a higher FG%?
    Like i say why compare to others where we witness there are many times where he is at the rim and not closely guarded and miss bunnies. I did not say he needs to dunk 100% of the time.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just to please you using the 2 players you quoted poeltl at 0-3 .463%, capela at 0-3 .764% FG. Please tell me how does dunking at the rim is worse off.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just to please you using the 2 players you quoted poeltl at 0-3 .463%, capela at 0-3 .764% FG. Please tell me how does dunking at the rim is worse off.
    You looked at the wrong data column. What you posted was % of FGAs taken in that area, not the actual FG%. The data you wanted was further to the right.

Poeltl 0-3 ft .614
    3-10 ft .519
    Capela 0-3 ft .686
    3-10 ft .311

So,while people complain that Jak isn’t a modern center, Capela can’t score further than 3 feet, even in the paint. I guess that would make him a fossil.

Jaks FG% is higher, AND he can score at a high level from 3-10 feet.

Thread Information