Page 105 of 219 FirstFirst ... 55595101102103104105106107108109115155205 ... LastLast
Results 2,601 to 2,625 of 5469
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think you know the policies of the GOP. You added "consequential" as a caveat. I fail to find most policies of either side to be consequential thus the same old same old after every election. The people get excited about it like a change gonna come, but it's just the same wealthy people having their turn at the glory hole of the nation. America First is on the GOP platform however until 2024 they will not have a new one.

Regardless, you already know their policies. You can debate all you want about effectiveness or intention. AFAIK the only tangible product from any POTUS in my lifetime was tax cuts. All else is just going to war or coming from it.
    It was no caveat. You knew what the GOP from the 80s, 90s or 2000s stood for, whether you or I liked their stances on different policy positions or not. Militarily, economically, social programs/government spending, etc. I have no idea what the current GOP stands for. Pro life and ???. Can’t possibly be Christian values or family values when your standard bearer is a well known adulterer (not that the whole family/religious values was any less hypocritical before then, just plain as a day now). The economy? The last two GOP administrations literally destroyed the economy. On social programs and spending, again the last two red team administrations expanded spending and government with hits like the TSA, Space Force, and completely unfunded Medicare part D. What’s the plan there? More tax cuts? Sabotaging the IRS isn’t an economic plan. ‘Build the wall’ isn’t an immigration policy, it’s the stupidest soundbite I heard in decades.

You used to be able to pick up a do ent from a conservative think tank like Cato, and get an idea what was the plan. I can’t remember the last time I found one of those that garnered any kind of attention.

I won’t even touch the environment or healthcare because it’s patently clear that those things are never given a serious thought, tbh
    Last edited by ElNono; 12-24-2021 at 11:35 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was no caveat. You knew what the GOP from the 80s, 90s or 2000s stood for, whether you or I liked their stances on different policy positions or not. Militarily, economically, social programs/government spending, etc. I have no idea what the current GOP stands for. Pro life and ???. Can’t possibly be Christian values or family values when your standard bearer is a well known adulterer (not that the whole family/religious values was any less hypocritical before then, just plain as a day now). The economy? The last two GOP administrations literally destroyed the economy. On social programs and spending, again the last two red team administrations expanded spending and government with hits like the TSA, Space Force, and completely unfunded Medicare part D. What’s the plan there? More tax cuts? Sabotaging the IRS isn’t an economic plan. ‘Build the wall’ isn’t an immigration policy, it’s the stupidest soundbite I heard in decades.

You used to be able to pick up a do ent from a conservative think tank like Cato, and get an idea what was the plan. I can’t remember the last time I found one of those that garnered any kind of attention.

I won’t even touch the environment or healthcare because it’s patently clear that those things are never given a serious thought, tbh
    they don't put those out anymore because with these new Rs, at every level, they just give them a do ent and they'll sign it so they don't have to spend time actually governing. The do ents are there but they are private

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    they don't put those out anymore because with these new Rs, at every level, they just give them a do ent and they'll sign it so they don't have to spend time actually governing. The do ents are there but they are private
    I actually think the problem is that there’s nobody that looks semi-educated to grab one of those and explain it. Or it simply has become so unpopular that’s better to just banter about something else.

This is another area where the GOP has transformed mightily. Their most vocal and visible voices are pure idiocy. That’s a trend the previous POTUS started that set this country back at least 50 years, tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure where you’re going with this, but if your argument is that we as a country haven’t had major structural reforms or programs, that’s certainly false. Most of those other countries also went through reforms and did not have a public health system since their inception. As a matter of fact, that’s exactly one of the roles of government, and why it will have to come from there (besides the government being the biggest consumer of healthcare services and products in this country).
    That sounds great. What's the plan?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That sounds great. What's the plan?
    We can start by enabling Medicare to negotiate drug/services prices (since they’re by far the biggest customer and something the VA is already allowed to do). Follow up with a public option not tied to employment. Let the private sector reform around that. That’s probably the quickest path for the current system, but obviously not the only path. There’s plenty of models to look at and model sensible healthcare reform around.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Without addressing each of the individual statements about different policies, you're discussing the effectiveness of the policies. They are still policies. They aren't given serious thought because those who do the serious thinking are financially tied to these ins utions. Again, ideals are great. What's the plan?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does this cause you great concern?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Without addressing each of the individual statements about different policies, you're discussing the effectiveness of the policies. They are still policies. They aren't given serious thought because those who do the serious thinking are financially tied to these ins utions. Again, ideals are great. What's the plan?
    I’m pointing out how the GOP gradually destroyed what historically have been bastions of their platform. So it’s become very difficult to tell what exactly they stand for anymore. Pro-gun and anti-abortion definitely stick out.

This doesn’t mean Democrats don’t have problems of their own, that’s a separate conversation altogether, but what they say and put in a piece of legislation generally does line up.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When will DMC realize he just agreed with Nono's point the Republicans have no plan?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    GOP Introduced More Than 260 Bills

to 'Subvert' Elections After Trump's 2020 Loss

"To put it simply, the future of fair, professional, and nonpartisan elections is on the line and the erosion of public trust in our democracy is deeply concerning."

262 bills introduced in 41 states that would interfere with election administration—and 32 of these bills have become law across 17 states."

promoting election sabotage has continued to grow and the number of bills enacted into law has also increased,

variety of ways that state legislatures now endeavor to undermine independent election administration is evolving

we again renew our warning ahead of 2022: we have a democracy crisis is in the making,"

https://www.newsweek.com/gop-introdu...report-1663045

There's no stopping the Repugs or the SCOTUS6, financed by the fascist oligarchy and Christian supremacists.

America is ed and un able.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We can start by enabling Medicare to negotiate drug/services prices (since they’re by far the biggest customer and something the VA is already allowed to do). Follow up with a public option not tied to employment. Let the private sector reform around that. That’s probably the quickest path for the current system, but obviously not the only path. There’s plenty of models to look at and model sensible healthcare reform around.
    What's your plan? What you wrote is what you want their plan to be. What's yours? Is it to only vote for people who offer that as their plan? Because if you don't, then you're not going to get it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m pointing out how the GOP gradually destroyed what historically have been bastions of their platform. So it’s become very difficult to tell what exactly they stand for anymore. Pro-gun and anti-abortion definitely stick out.

This doesn’t mean Democrats don’t have problems of their own, that’s a separate conversation altogether, but what they say and put in a piece of legislation generally does line up.
    They stand for protecting their interests, their wealth, their neighborhoods. They disguise that as a strong military, strong borders and bootstraps. That hasn't changed. They couldn't give 2 s about abortion. In fact, I'd say they hope many segments of the population have even more abortions. Roe v Wade is a voter base concern, so they pretend to be concerned too. Notice how their opinions change based on the political atmosphere? They want to remain in office, not to govern (that's being done at lower levels). They want to be there to set up, ensure and prolong the money pipeline to their wealthy donors. This seems self evident.

So instead of giving a about what they believe, I only consider what they will do to sell that façade, and if that will be a pro or con in my world.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obese RWNJ thought leader, The Best People

Wife of Alex Jones arrested for domestic violence on Christmas Eve

The prominent conspiracy theorist said the incident stemmed from a "medication imbalance"

https://www.salon.com/2021/12/26/wif...christmas-eve/

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nono got DMC ting himself because of one simple factual observation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's your plan? What you wrote is what you want their plan to be. What's yours? Is it to only vote for people who offer that as their plan? Because if you don't, then you're not going to get it.
    What I wrote is one way to get there in the current system. As I said, it’s not the only way. I might never get it any of it, but that’s outside what we’re discussing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They stand for protecting their interests, their wealth, their neighborhoods. They disguise that as a strong military, strong borders and bootstraps. That hasn't changed. They couldn't give 2 s about abortion. In fact, I'd say they hope many segments of the population have even more abortions. Roe v Wade is a voter base concern, so they pretend to be concerned too. Notice how their opinions change based on the political atmosphere? They want to remain in office, not to govern (that's being done at lower levels). They want to be there to set up, ensure and prolong the money pipeline to their wealthy donors. This seems self evident.

So instead of giving a about what they believe, I only consider what they will do to sell that façade, and if that will be a pro or con in my world.
    Don’t disagree with this and Democrats are generally not that different, however, it does make it more difficult to cast an educated vote, tbh… I think we can agree on that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What I wrote is one way to get there in the current system. As I said, it’s not the only way. I might never get it any of it, but that’s outside what we’re discussing.
    Not sure you understood me. What you wrote was how someone you'd vote for should approach it. If someone doesn't espouse that plan, do you still plan to vote for them because of the D by their name just because they regurgitate the same talking points at a higher level and never get into the nuts and bolts of how exactly they would "make it better"?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don’t disagree with this and Democrats are generally not that different, however, it does make it more difficult to cast an educated vote, tbh… I think we can agree on that.
    It's a bit like signing Westbrook and expecting him to have a good 3pt percentage, make high IQ plays and not chase stats to the detriment of the team when the best move would be to sign him, surround him with people who can get him the stats he wants and sell tickets, reap the media reward from the hype - if you don't have le aspirations.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure you understood me. What you wrote was how someone you'd vote for should approach it. If someone doesn't espouse that plan, do you still plan to vote for them because of the D by their name just because they regurgitate the same talking points at a higher level and never get into the nuts and bolts of how exactly they would "make it better"?
    I generally don’t vote. I made the first exception to kick Trump out. I’m simply not of the idea of the ‘lesser of two evils’ (that rule was broken the last election, mostly because I really dislike clown shows). I would need to be convinced about thr candidate and that hasn’t happened yet (I mean, , I loathed Biden in the primaries).

But, again, on issues like healthcare I would love to compare where the Dems are vs the GOP. That’s just not possible though, as the GOP has nothing to show.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a bit like signing Westbrook and expecting him to have a good 3pt percentage, make high IQ plays and not chase stats to the detriment of the team when the best move would be to sign him, surround him with people who can get him the stats he wants and sell tickets, reap the media reward from the hype - if you don't have le aspirations.
    It’s still better to have him though. He won’t lead you to a le, but he gives you a good 3rd banana, which you need to even if you end up landing a Tim Duncan.

But this is different. I want to have the ability to compare the bull and at least pretend to educate myself. The other side of the coin is complete apathy, which is a lot more boring.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    open eliminationism

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pro-Trump Arizona lawmaker:

'I stand with Jesus, Robert E. Lee and the Cleveland Indians'

https://www.rawstory.com/wendy-rogers-robert-e-lee

The Arizonza Jesus was a well-known racist, slaveholder, and ethnic-cleansing "genocidalist".

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    DMC: You play the Hitler card

Me: Not really.

DMC: I can't pull a single quote, but you do!

Thread Information