Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
    We've got a job to do. Darth_Pelican's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    New Orleans Pelicans
    College
    LSU Tigers
    I thougt Rust would keep obsessing knowing that the Tuttles are in the clear, but he found peace. What a great show. Hopefully season 2 can deliver the goods as well, but this season sure did set the bar high.

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Beautiful ending. I love the fact that it was never truly about the crimes and cult. But about how one case brought together two people with such drastic personalities and in the end, gave them the inner peace they've been looking for. Hart truly now regrets what he had done and Cohle has found the peace he's been searching for since he lost his kiddo. Just great story telling and amazed how much I felt for these characters I've only know for 8 episodes. The bar is set and set ing high.

Name
    Bruno
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    That last episode was disappointing, 7/10 at best

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Love the Jesus metaphor, spear thrusts into Rust's side and Marty carrying him as in the burden of the cross. Definitely religious based and the persistent fight of light and dark. Making all of that christian feel actually palpable....
    Great show.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    How the did they survive that from that belly man? Getting stabbed deep in the gut and having an axe thrown into your chest. I was thinking Rust was a goner after getting stabbed like that. It was nice to see Rust change or have a moment of light instead of his usual darkness. And Marty should feel bad for throwing away his marriage and kids. He messed that up big time.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Just finished the ep. And my first reaction is what a entertaining f'n episode tbh.

I'll have to rewatch the series all the way through to see exactly how I feel but man, it was a fun ride.

Best way to describe the ending is satisfying. I'm not sure exactly how it fits with the tone of the series but I have to say I was not disappointed.

I really think it would have benefited the show to be 10 eps instead of 8 though. Got rushed towards the end. But the McConnaughey and the directing really stood out.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Houston Rockets
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Loved the show. Some of you nutters need to get off of your high horse.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    enjoyed it, will watch it again this afternoon. glad everything wasn't tied up neatly.

Name
    Sybok
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Orlando Magic
    "Well, once there was only dark. If you ask me, the light's winning."
    Which is inconsistent with the notion that everything comes back around.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    extremely well written review from boing boing:

http://boingboing.net/2014/03/10/tru...its-first.html

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    Maryland Terrapins
    Good read...watching the Errol/Sister scene again, funny how he cues the British accent for her--makes light of the whole disturbing nature of the intro to that ep

Name
    Yvonne
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Oh man that Carcosa scene had me going crazy---I was sure one or both of them were going to die! I'll try to rewatch the whole thing this week, I was so mind-boggled thru most of the series I'm sure I missed a lot. I liked the finale. I loved that it took us back to where we started---two guys struggling to conquer inner demons and worldly ones, neither task could have been completed solo. I love the red herrings that set the internet buzzing after each episode "Rust is the killer!" "Marty is the killer!" "Maggie's dad is the Yellow King!" "Marty's kid was a victim!" and it was just never that complicated---we all knew who it was pretty early on. And I'm sooo glad the mystical angle was all debunked, nothing would have bummed me out more than supernatural goings on. Quite a task to beat this one next season!

Name
    Sybok
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Orlando Magic
    I actually watched the finale again tonight. I caught it the first time but not real good, but lol when Woody says "scented meat".

Name
    Sybok
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Orlando Magic

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    L'chaim, fatass

Linger Ficking Good! CuckingFunt's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    I've watched the finale twice now. I loved the episode and found it an incredibly satisfying close to the season, since I was far more invested in the characters than I ever was in the plot or its ultimate resolution. I felt it completed Hart's and Cohle's arcs beautifully and continued to showcase what has been amazingly adept visual storytelling all season. When Marty was going through the Childress house you could almost smell it and feel that dusky dampness unique to old houses in this climate, and a viewer reaction that visceral requires a of a lot more than just good set dressing. Similarly, when Rust was being led through Carcosa the space was filmed so beautifully that even though it was creepy and tense and claustrophobic, part of me wanted to be able to really get in there and explore the space in detail. As much as I loved the characters and the performances, and as much as I enjoyed the writing (even at it's most over-the-top), for me this show was made by its direction and cinematography. Up there with Breaking Bad and Mad Men for me in terms of beautifully filmed television.

I can understand how/why people who were more interested in the mystery of Carcosa and its potential supernatural connotations, or who were more interested in seeing the cased solved completely and everyone brought to justice, may have been disappointed by the finale, though. There is a lot in terms of plot that's left unfinished. And I can also see how certain other possible endings would have been more satisfying in terms of bringing the narrative to a close. But that doesn't mean I share their frustration with the ending we actually got. Especially after the previous two episodes, which I thought felt bogged down by the responsibility of narrative heft and machination, I definitely preferred an ending like this to one that could have felt written out of obligation to tie up loose ends or to close on a bleaker note.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    "I don't know if you're mostly good and just a coward, or if you're an asshole who is a little smarter than most"

"Well I'd hate to make that call"

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Did anyone else know that Woody's dad was a real life hit man?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Yeah. I remember that being big news during the press for Natural Born Killers, but I feel like it first became public knowledge even way back during Cheers.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I never knew that. Crazy.

Name
    Sybok
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Orlando Magic
    I've watched the finale twice now. I loved the episode and found it an incredibly satisfying close to the season, since I was far more invested in the characters than I ever was in the plot or its ultimate resolution. I felt it completed Hart's and Cohle's arcs beautifully and continued to showcase what has been amazingly adept visual storytelling all season. When Marty was going through the Childress house you could almost smell it and feel that dusky dampness unique to old houses in this climate, and a viewer reaction that visceral requires a of a lot more than just good set dressing. Similarly, when Rust was being led through Carcosa the space was filmed so beautifully that even though it was creepy and tense and claustrophobic, part of me wanted to be able to really get in there and explore the space in detail. As much as I loved the characters and the performances, and as much as I enjoyed the writing (even at it's most over-the-top), for me this show was made by its direction and cinematography. Up there with Breaking Bad and Mad Men for me in terms of beautifully filmed television.

I can understand how/why people who were more interested in the mystery of Carcosa and its potential supernatural connotations, or who were more interested in seeing the cased solved completely and everyone brought to justice, may have been disappointed by the finale, though. There is a lot in terms of plot that's left unfinished. And I can also see how certain other possible endings would have been more satisfying in terms of bringing the narrative to a close. But that doesn't mean I share their frustration with the ending we actually got. Especially after the previous two episodes, which I thought felt bogged down by the responsibility of narrative heft and machination, I definitely preferred an ending like this to one that could have felt written out of obligation to tie up loose ends or to close on a bleaker note.
    What?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Kentucky Wildcats
    Seems like his dad has been pegged by some conspiracy theorists as a potential suspect for the JFK assassination...could be wrong

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Words, mostly.

Thread Information