Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Report: Raiders have already secured land in San Antonio for potential move

The Raiders would reportedly play in the Alamo Bowl while a stadium between Austin and San Antonio is constructed.

Sfchronicle

By Nick ToneyJan 13, 2016 at 11:52p ET

Oakland Raiders owner Mark Davis missed out on Los Angeles, but that doesn't mean he'll return his team to Oakland.
    They're playing without a lease in 2016 -- and the city of San Antonio could provide a soft landing for the Silver and Black.
    Via Bleacher Report's Jason Cole:

Davis has plenty of reasons to drop his team right between San Antonio and Austin. The two cities would offer his team over 2.3 million football-hungry sports fans. His players would enjoy a state without income taxes.

Lastly, if he's anything like his father, Davis enjoys a little payback. He'd serve some up by becoming an instate compe or to Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, who led the charge to exclude the Raiders from L.A.relocation .

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/oakland-raiders-texas-san-antonio-austin-relocation-stadium-alamodome-011316
    I hope the guy is right but it is Bleacher Report and he called the Alamodome the 'Alamo Bowl' so he probably isn't worth a as a reporter/journalist.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope the guy is right but it is Bleacher Report and he called the Alamodome the 'Alamo Bowl' so he probably isn't worth a as a reporter/journalist.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, I'd like to see ANYONE else confirm the land thing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the land acquisition story is true, I wonder if Davis actually purchased the land, or simply has an option to purchase it? There is a big difference between the two.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    After the Chargers leave SD, and the cold hard reality hits the people and fans as well as the business leaders and politicians of SD that they have indeed lost their NFL team, does SD suddenly have a change of heart and build a new stadium to attract another NFL team......say the Raiders? SD is a huge TV market and a dynamic city. I'm not sure the good people of SD would want a scuzy owner like Davis, but the pickings are slim for replacement teams. The Jags also come to town.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The question is going to be if Davis wants to wait a year or two for the Chargers to make their decision. I wouldn't, as the Raiders would be the third team in SoCal even if they get to move to LA. If they aren't going to find a way to stay in the bay area, they should go ahead a leave to a new town rather than being the pathetic tag-alongs they're being now. Unless Mark just straight up doesn't like SA, I don't see much of a reason not to make the move.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The question is going to be if Davis wants to wait a year or two for the Chargers to make their decision. I wouldn't, as the Raiders would be the third team in SoCal even if they get to move to LA. If they aren't going to find a way to stay in the bay area, they should go ahead a leave to a new town rather than being the pathetic tag-alongs they're being now. Unless Mark just straight up doesn't like SA, I don't see much of a reason not to make the move.
    The Raiders are in a decent spot since they'll be the only free agent left after the Chargers make their move. They'll have SA competing for them, Oakland trying to keep them, LA/SD is another option, even STL looking to replace the Rams.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A lot of ideas but nothing more. Still fun to keep this idea going...

Field of Dreams
    Could Oakland Raiders be headed to Texas? Speculation surfaces on new NFL stadium
    By John Egan

1.13.16 | 3:13 pm

As talk has been rekindled about an NFL franchise relocating to San Antonio, speculation has surfaced about where that team might play. Some of that speculation has centered on what essentially is the center point between San Antonio and Austin: the fast-growing suburb of San Marcos.

Giving rise to that chatter is a story from sports website Bleacher Report indicating that Mark Davis, owner of the Oakland Raiders — an NFL team shopping for a new home — has purchased land somewhere between San Antonio and Austin that purportedly could be the site of a new stadium for the Raiders. Bleacher Report’s Jason Cole says the Davis parcel “splits the difference” between San Antonio and Austin. Translation: Someplace in or near San Marcos is the likely spot.

In interviews with CultureMap, officials in San Marcos and Austin say they aren’t aware of such a land deal. Officials in San Antonio also seem to be in the dark, according to media reports.

Whatever the situation with the land, local officials say they’d be delighted to extend an invitation to an NFL team and explore construction of a stadium in our region.

Given its prime location along I-35 and between Austin and San Antonio, San Marcos would be a “natural play” for an NFL stadium, says Lance Aldridge, executive director of the Austin Sports Commission.

“I think it would be an exciting proposal,” Aldridge says of an NFL team and stadium in San Marcos. “We’d kill to have that.”

Adriana Cruz, president of the Greater San Marcos Partnership, a regional economic development agency, says an NFL stadium in San Marcos would align with her nonprofit’s stated goal of accommodating “destination attractions,” such as a major-league sports venue or an amusement park. She also says a stadium would complement San Marcos’ various amenities, particularly the two outlet malls, which collectively draw about 14 million visitors a year.

“Could we be home to a major stadium? Absolutely,” Cruz says.

An NFL stadium in San Marcos is “certainly something that makes a lot of sense — a lot of logistical sense, a lot of economic sense,” she says.

San Marcos sits about 30 miles south of Austin, the 11th largest city in the U.S., and about 40 miles north of San Antonio, the seventh largest city in the U.S. The Austin-San Antonio region is home to more than 4.3 million residents but just one major-league team: the NBA’s San Antonio Spurs. Experts say either the San Antonio metro area or the Austin metro area alone could support an NFL team, but situating an NFL stadium where those areas overlap undoubtedly would fortify the fan base.

For now, it’s impossible to say precisely how much land Davis might have purchased between Austin and San Antonio. But it is safe to say that a stadium project would require dozens of acres. As a means of comparison, U.S. Bank Stadium, under construction as the new home of the NFL’s Minnesota Vikings, will stand on a 38-acre site.

Of course, an NFL stadium in the Austin-San Antonio corridor would come with a hefty price tag: likely more than $1 billion. The NFL’s newest venue — Levi’s Stadium, home of the San Francisco 49ers — cost close to $1.3 billion. Next month, Levi’s Stadium will host Super Bowl 50.

As officials in our region salivate over the possibility of hosting an NFL team, the fate of the Oakland Raiders remains up in the air. The Raiders had sought to move to Los Angeles, but that proposal has been scrapped, and Davis now suggests that he’s not inclined to keep his team in Oakland. NFL owners approved the St. Louis Rams' move to a planned stadium in Los Angeles and gave the San Diego Chargers an option to join the Rams in LA a year later.

Amid the Raiders-Chargers-Rams drama and the buzz about the Oakland team possibly packing up for Texas, Aldridge cautions that the owners of the Lone Star State’s two NFL teams — the Dallas Cowboys and the Houston Texans — might balk at the idea, as a third team could cannibalize their fan bases. Furthermore, he says, Davis merely could be dangling a hypothetical move to Texas as a bargaining chip with Oakland.

“I can’t say it can’t be done,” Aldridge says of an NFL presence in the Austin-San Antonio corridor, “but there are a lot of challenges.”

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duh. A site near the outlet malls was a no brainer from the start. The trick is finding a way to rape the as many taxpayers as hard as possible to build. I will feel better about it if it is more privately funded than I think it will be.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lumping Austin and SA together is an MSA with 4 million people, which would rank it 15th behind Phoenix and ahead of Seattle. Yes, they're 80 miles apart but many other MSAs are pretty sprawling. One hour drive max to games for people in the area compares to many other cities.

Population growth outpaces most other metro areas - 400k people combined added between 2010-2014. $43.5k median household income (Austin brings that up) is decent and compares to Phoenix / Nashville / etc. Good base of large companies too and a football culture.

If it ever gets off the ground, I doubt UT moves its games off campus as they've put money into the stadium, and remains to be seen what the Alamo Bowl would do.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duh. A site near the outlet malls was a no brainer from the start. The trick is finding a way to rape the as many taxpayers as hard as possible to build. I will feel better about it if it is more privately funded than I think it will be.
    SM is WAY too far from SA. And even as an Austinite, I want that stadium farther away from my city. NB would be as close as I'd like it. I agree with you on private funding, not so much because I feel sorry for the tax-payers, but it'll be much more likely to work if they don't have to wait for votes to get it started.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Alamo bowl will be decommissioned probably.

I feel it's gonna come down to this. Who is willing to cram through funding hardest. I feel San Antonio / austin are just ready to be cucked by an NFL owner. You'd think we'd be smarter about it, but all it's gonna take is telling the San Antonio people " them Austin folks don't think you'll do it" & vice versa to the Austin people.. Add a small army of Jerry Jones haters, and I see a motivated region.

I don't know Oakland well. But it seems like an owner who has been so adamant about moving has worn out his welcome. Maybe oaktown folds and builds a new stadium (in which case the raiders may still leave when the contract allows) but if you were to bet you'd say that San Marcos would be the easiest push.

It's the money there? You're talking ten to 15 years from now.

Basically I never thought Rick Perry would get f1 racing to Austin, but he did. A third NFL team is way more sexy than a dumb Euro race. There will be a boatload of politicians looking to claim victory on this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poor xmas can't even enjoy this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is Davis even being vilified? It just seems like this is an inevitable parting. Neither Davis nor Oakland can afford to build a new stadium. Their current stadium is falling apart. Short of selling the team to someone willing to dump a ton of money into a new place, I don't see how anyone can expect Davis to handle this differently.

And again, I don't think Austin is keen on getting an NFL team. The best thing about SA being so close is that THEY (y'all) can go ahead and pay for one, and we can just drive down whenever we feel like it. Like I don't want the Spurs in Austin. SA can be the sister city with all the cool stuff, and Austin can be the one with all the money.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poor xmas can't even enjoy this.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the middle of nowhere. Put it in SA. And Austin to SA is a ing easy drive.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the raiders would kill the LA market when it comes to attracting fans. heck, even now when they travel to san diego, raider fans make up of over 50% of the fans in the stadium.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is Davis even being vilified? It just seems like this is an inevitable parting. Neither Davis nor Oakland can afford to build a new stadium. Their current stadium is falling apart. Short of selling the team to someone willing to dump a ton of money into a new place, I don't see how anyone can expect Davis to handle this differently.

And again, I don't think Austin is keen on getting an NFL team. The best thing about SA being so close is that THEY (y'all) can go ahead and pay for one, and we can just drive down whenever we feel like it. Like I don't want the Spurs in Austin. SA can be the sister city with all the cool stuff, and Austin can be the one with all the money.
    davis has shown good faith with oakland, but neither side seems to have money to spend, so i dont think there's bad blood. he's tried and tried and they've been sticking around on a series of 1-year leases while trying to hammer out a new stadium deal

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Buy land. Start rumors. Sell land. Count money.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Theres no way they would put the stadium in SM tbh. How could they call them the San Antonio Raiders if its in SM
    What incentive would there be for San Antonio to not even have the team in the city if they can't profit off it?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Theres no way they would put the stadium in SM tbh. How could they call them the San Antonio Raiders if its in SM
    NY Jets, NY Giants, San Francisco 49ers, and several others say hi.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it would be stupid to call them the San Antonio Raiders, they need to make it Austin's team too. If they come they should be the South Texas Raiders, and San Marcos would make sense to draw from both cities. The Spurs could never survive doing that, trying to fill 50-60 nights a year, but 10 times in a year I think people would travel to San Marcos from either city.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I 35 highway raiders

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What incentive would there be for San Antonio to not even have the team in the city if they can't profit off it?

Have you ever been to Utah? Did you hear a lot of jazz while you were there?

For that matter, how did you enjoy all those Lakes out in Los Angeles?

Thread Information