Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bad luck. Just bad luck. The problem is the Spurs are willing to play for a top 4 seed when the rest of the NBA would tank with their best player out. I’d be interested to know if the injury will ever go away with rest. My guess is no.
    Bad luck? If the fears realize this is much worse than Grant Hill, Greg Oden and Brandon Roy pit together

Its ing voodoo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi definitely out indefinitely.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think it'll turn into a Penny situation because I don't think the Spurs will let that happen. One of the reasons Penny ended up the way he did was because he was feeling pain and told the team doctors. When they didn't find any damage they told him that the pain was in his head and to keep playing. so he continued to play through the pain until he needed microfracture surgery. The Spurs are being cautious with Kawhi, the exact opposite of what the Magic did with Penny (btw, the Magic also contributed to Grant Hill's ankle issues). Kawhi has only played 9 games this year so he should end up being fine as long as they are cautious. Based on the things I have heard from people in the medical field about tendinopathy the Spurs are handling this exactly right. Sucks as a fan not getting to see him on the court but I want him healthy for the long run.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think it'll turn into a Penny situation because I don't think the Spurs will let that happen. One of the reasons Penny ended up the way he did was because he was feeling pain and told the team doctors. When they didn't find any damage they told him that the pain was in his head and to keep playing. so he continued to play through the pain until he needed microfracture surgery. The Spurs are being cautious with Kawhi, the exact opposite of what the Magic did with Penny (btw, the Magic also contributed to Grant Hill's ankle issues). Kawhi has only played 9 games this year so he should end up being fine as long as they are cautious. Based on the things I have heard from people in the medical field about tendinopathy the Spurs are handling this exactly right. Sucks as a fan not getting to see him on the court but I want him healthy for the long run.
    Well said.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did you follow the Penny situation closely? I would if there is a video or interview where Penny explains what happened. I used to be a fan of his back in the day. Not really a Shaq fan, or a fan of the Magic, just a Penny fan only.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did you follow the Penny situation closely? I would if there is a video or interview where Penny explains what happened. I used to be a fan of his back in the day. Not really a Shaq fan, or a fan of the Magic, just a Penny fan only.
    The Penny situation is not nearly as analogous as the Bill Walton/Portland situation.

Why? Because Kawhi is a champion (Finals MVP) like Walton and a team leader (by example). Not a never-was like Penny in a finger-pointing organization that never won anything.

Here is an SI article from 1978 -- the potential similarities are a bit scary (although Kawhi's possible disenchantment remains uncorroborated).

https://www.si.com/vault/1978/08/21/...r-golden-state

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes I was a huge Penny fan back in the day. He explained the situation in a really interesting article. Either he wrote it or was interviewed. Going to look for it right now and will post it as soon as I find it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here is a link to an article that talks about it: https://sports.yahoo.com/penny-harda...906.html?y20=1

It was originally from a longer interview done by SLAM on Penny's career. The link to the SLAM article is in the Yahoo article.

Here is Penny's quote:
    To me, there was a lot of confusion. Back then you played hurt, so they were like, "Oh, it's just in your mind." It was hard to believe. They kept asking me, "Did you hear anything? Did you hear your knee pop?" I would tell them, No, but it really does hurt. All of a sudden there was pain and I was very frustrated. I went from being very athletic, one of the best guards in the NBA, to barely making it. No speed, no agility. I had to change how I played because I couldn't exercise or train because my knee constantly hurt.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, I work in Physical Therapy. Although I am not a Physical Therapist myself (my actual le is Physical Therapy Technician) I work closely with a lot of PTs, as well as having a cousin who is a PT. Right now Kawhi is just going to have to rest and rehab until his pain level is down to a comfortable level. Once that happens then he can get back into basketball. Fortunately, since he has only played 9 games and the team has been very cautious the odds of him having permanent damage is almost none. Basically, when returning to sports from a Tendinopathy you are going to have some pain. If the pain level stays between 1-4 you can keep playing without risking permanent damage. If the pain level goes above a 4 you need to stop and rest/rehab until the pain level goes down. If you keep playing through the pain it can cause damage Once I was told that it made what Pop said about his "pain going in the wrong direction" make a lot of sense. Again, thank goodness Pop and the Spurs are as cautious as they are. Kawhi will be fine and probably ready before the playoffs even begin.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, I work in Physical Therapy. Although I am not a Physical Therapist myself (my actual le is Physical Therapy Technician) I work closely with a lot of PTs, as well as having a cousin who is a PT. Right now Kawhi is just going to have to rest and rehab until his pain level is down to a comfortable level. Once that happens then he can get back into basketball. Fortunately, since he has only played 9 games and the team has been very cautious the odds of him having permanent damage is almost none. Basically, when returning to sports from a Tendinopathy you are going to have some pain. If the pain level stays between 1-4 you can keep playing without risking permanent damage. If the pain level goes above a 4 you need to stop and rest/rehab until the pain level goes down. If you keep playing through the pain it can cause damage Once I was told that it made what Pop said about his "pain going in the wrong direction" make a lot of sense. Again, thank goodness Pop and the Spurs are as cautious as they are. Kawhi will be fine and probably ready before the playoffs even begin.
    Good stuff . Thanks.. Hopefully those who felt Pop was "babying" Kawhi understand the seriousness of the situation and realize how they had Kawhi's best interest in mind. They did say he's made significant progress, so maybe that means the pain level was much higher than the 1-4 level you mentioned previously, and they're just trying to get it down to a more manageable pain level?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good stuff . Thanks.. Hopefully those who felt Pop was "babying" Kawhi understand the seriousness of the situation and realize how they had Kawhi's best interest in mind. They did say he's made significant progress, so maybe that means the pain level was much higher than the 1-4 level you mentioned previously, and they're just trying to get it down to a more manageable pain level?
    Based on Pop's comments my guess is that Kawhi was at a good level until recently and that once his pain level started to increase they made the choice to shut him down. That is just pure speculation of course. It really sucks as a Spurs and because I have him on my fantasy team , but the Spurs are doing the right thing. Again, he only played 9 games and has had at least 2 days rest between games. Kawhi is going to be just fine. The Spurs won't put him back out there until he is ready.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And yes, my co-workers and cousin got a kick out of the fact that I kept asking all these questions about tendinopathy because I was worried about a millionaire NBA player. But hey, I bleed silver and black baby!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Based on Pop's comments my guess is that Kawhi was at a good level until recently and that once his pain level started to increase they made the choice to shut him down. That is just pure speculation of course. It really sucks as a Spurs and because I have him on my fantasy team , but the Spurs are doing the right thing. Again, he only played 9 games and has had at least 2 days rest between games. Kawhi is going to be just fine. The Spurs won't put him back out there until he is ready.
    I have him too I at least have an IR slot, so I can add someone and keep him stashed.

& is it normal that the pain started to increase again? I'm just wondering, I mean he sat out a couple months already and the pain came back after playing a small amount of games. I'm just worried if he sits out another month or 2 now, will he have flare ups that are concerning come playoff time?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have him too I at least have an IR slot, so I can add someone and keep him stashed.

& is it normal that the pain started to increase again? I'm just wondering, I mean he sat out a couple months already and the pain came back after playing a small amount of games. I'm just worried if he sits out another month or 2 now, will he have flare ups that are concerning come playoff time?
    Yeah I have an injury spot too. My whole team has been hurt this year though haha. As far as if it is normal for pain to increase? It isn't normal per say, but it can happen when someone pushes too much and is more common with athletes, especially those with a high work ethic (Kawhi lol). It can be slow process and one of the PTs I talked to said they hate working with athletes because it is hard to get them to not push too hard too soon. So Pop shutting him down makes the most sense

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah I have an injury spot too. My whole team has been hurt this year though haha. As far as if it is normal for pain to increase? It isn't normal per say, but it can happen when someone pushes too much and is more common with athletes, especially those with a high work ethic (Kawhi lol). It can be slow process and one of the PTs I talked to said they hate working with athletes because it is hard to get them to not push too hard too soon. So Pop shutting him down makes the most sense
    Cool.. Yea I hope he can take it easy so he can heal properly. Is this something he can get like pain shots for or w/e before the games once the pain level reaches a low enough level for him to return?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cool.. Yea I hope he can take it easy so he can heal properly. Is this something he can get like pain shots for or w/e before the games once the pain level reaches a low enough level for him to return?
    It didn't sound like he was having pain in the games. Pop said the pain would come the day after the game around noon. So pain shots before games is probably a moot point. He just needs to get his quad to where he is comfortable and not push it until he is ready to come back.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Dejounte posted this pic on IG but then deleted it. Seen that Kawhi was in his game-gear and not wearing street clothes on the bench in last 2 games it could be that he is near a return, even possibly before ASG.

Just hope THEY/HE are not rushing it. It would be inexcusable and pathetic amateurism at this point if he comes back only to still be in-and-out of the lineup and on minutes restriction.
    Last edited by spursistan; 01-30-2018 at 09:59 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Dejounte posted this pic on IG but then deleted it. Seen that Kawhi was in his game-gear and not wearing street clothes on the bench in last 2 games it could be that he is near a return, even possibly before ASG.

Just hope THEY/HE are not rushing it. It would be inexcusable and pathetic amateurism at this point if he comes back only to be still in-and-out of the lineup and on minutes restriction.
    weird

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Just hope THEY/HE are not rushing it. It would be inexcusable and pathetic amateurism at this point if he comes back only to still be in-and-out of the lineup and on minutes restriction.
    If or whenever Kawhi comes back, he WILL be in and out on a minites restriction. Why wouldn't he? This is how Pop works.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If or whenever Kawhi comes back, he WILL be in and out on a minites restriction. Why wouldn't he? This is how Pop works.
    That's all good if in his first few games back he's on a minutes restriction, but if he's on that for a month's or more worth of games, then he should not come back until he's 100% ready to play regular minutes after having a few minute restricted warm up games.
    Last edited by Ice009; 01-30-2018 at 11:10 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is all just CIA Pop making sure Kawhi is rested for the playoffs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For the first, 2nd, 3rd game? I get it. I am not a doctor but if a guy who didn’t undergo a surgery and still on minutes restriction 4-6 weeks after coming back from months-long therapy it means he simply hasn’t healed and it’s a pointless exercise to keep hoping he will after another setback.

Shut him down for good..

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seems to me pain shots as mentioned would be foolish.Simply hiding the problem and allowing damage to be done without feeling it.
    Last edited by rogcl1; 01-30-2018 at 11:49 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For the first, 2nd, 3rd game? I get it. I am not a doctor but if a guy who didn’t undergo a surgery and still on minutes restriction 4-6 weeks after coming back from months-long therapy it means he simply hasn’t healed and it’s a pointless exercise to keep hoping he will after another setback.

Shut him down for good..
    Exactly my opinion. He shouldn't be on a minutes restriction for 4-6 weeks. If he has to be on one to be able to play, then he's coming back too early.

He should only need 2, 3, 4 or maybe up to 5 warmup games, then after that it should all be full throttle.

Thread Information