Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    PATFO didn't want vets for 2 reasons imo

- Their obsession for players dev that would take playing time off of our average players

- Their lack of humility thinking they could bring the same thing with their coaching staff
    alot of us fans didnt want vets either....Alot of us thought they would take playing time from our young
    guys and stun there growth...And we wanted to see what we got....Now 10 games in,Now we know what
    we got...And it aint pretty

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    alot of us fans didnt want vets either....Alot of us thought they would take playing time from our young
    guys and stun there growth...And we wanted to see what we got....Now 10 games in,Now we know what
    we got...And it aint pretty
    Probably because the young guys they drafted ing suck with little or to no upside. Not only that, some are being used incorrectly even messing whatever little promise they have.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know I'm just posting, but for stretches there, you could ALMOST see the future matchup between Wemby and Jokic for the WCF. Almost. But the Spurs have so much work to do to build that type of team around him ... hoping they do, even though there doesn't seem like a light at the end of the tunnel right now, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That was such an amazing defensive performance from Wemby, a ing 19 year old, playing in his first game in the Denver al ude against a team featuring one of the 5 best offensive players in the history of basketball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    By the way, more intense game than the scoreboard suggests. I enjoyed it a lot more than most of the losing streak. Still disappointed though.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I kinda like Vassel coming off the bench tbh

It makes sense with Pop's present rotation, taking Wemby out half way in the 1st qtr every time

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But if Pop is forcing Sochan to be a PG so that he can start his 5 best players, why is he bringing his 2nd best player off the bench? Makes no damn sense.
    It's never been the "best five". If it were, there would be more compe ion to determine who that is rather than trying to anoint them in the summer. It's been that certain guys are non-negotiable starters, and Vassell isn't one. You can ask SR21. I looked it up, and Vassell's started a much lower percentage of his games than Keldon and Sochan have.

I hope Sochan's okay in a human sense, but I would be happy if he sat the B2B coming up next week. The team badly needs an excuse to play Jones and Graham (who continues to look solid at the position in garbage time). Start Graham, and bring Vassell back into the starting unit. If Vassell has to go back to the bench, start Graham and Sochan. This should be really easy. Maybe SAG is right and Pop is tanking. He can't be making every wrong decision here. That's not incompetence. That's a statistical anamoly.

Of course, watch him around and start Cissoko or Mamu at PG if Sochan sits.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I had posted during the preseason about Graham saying he had worked hard this off-season on his defense and was in the best shape of his life because he wanted to compete for the starting PG position. Obviously there was no compe ion. I’d love to see him get some run as the starter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah get Branham outta there and start Graham

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This game is a great reminder of the potential of dat kid Victor tbh...

At this point I honestly don't care about our record, most important is that Victor is healthy, he played all games, had his ups and downs but he is confirming his amazing potential. The rest does not matter that much tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It literally doesn't matter if your natural position is PG or not.

You shouldn't be a professional NBA player with vision this terrible.

I've seen better decision making in pee wee basketball. How the do you miss the 7-4 guy wide open next to you? And this clown does like this multiple times a game...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm only now in it to watch Wemby highlights at this point now. Pop has completely sucked the fan excitement for this season out of me.

I never expected them to be contenders but I wasn't expecting the worst coached team in the NBA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I've seen better decision making in pee wee basketball. How the do you miss the 7-4 guy wide open next to you? And this clown does like this multiple times a game...

yea, its like blinders on when wembys on the court with sochan

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I was thinking the same thing. I coached basketball for years and I wouldn't have a 12 year old running the point who has Sochan's lack of court management skills. Guy is way out of position. I feel sorry for him, tbh, because he's looking the fool out there.

And that's something that's innate. You can hone the skill, but not create it. He's not a natural PG and I'm not convinced he ever will be serviceable at the position.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    even though there doesn't seem like a light at the end of the tunnel right now, tbh.
    Comments like this would have you believing the Spurs picked 6th last draft and didn't have Wemby on the roster... How narrow minded are we getting? Missing the forest for the trees has been the tale here since the season started, did preseason really set that high of a bar?

We literally have already checked by far the biggest question mark in any rebuild -- getting the True Alpha, unquestionable superstar potential, game-changing player. If you don't see light at the end of this tunnel... Dude, get them eyes checked

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was thinking the same thing. I coached basketball for years and I wouldn't have a 12 year old running the point who has Sochan's lack of court management skills. Guy is way out of position. I feel sorry for him, tbh, because he's looking the fool out there.

And that's something that's innate. You can hone the skill, but not create it. He's not a natural PG and I'm not convinced he ever will be serviceable at the position.
    To be fair, tanking probably wasn't on your coaching resumé, so it makes sense that you didn't pick up on these strats.

Only half joking

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's never been the "best five". If it were, there would be more compe ion to determine who that is rather than trying to anoint them in the summer. It's been that certain guys are non-negotiable starters, and Vassell isn't one. You can ask SR21. I looked it up, and Vassell's started a much lower percentage of his games than Keldon and Sochan have.

I hope Sochan's okay in a human sense, but I would be happy if he sat the B2B coming up next week. The team badly needs an excuse to play Jones and Graham (who continues to look solid at the position in garbage time). Start Graham, and bring Vassell back into the starting unit. If Vassell has to go back to the bench, start Graham and Sochan. This should be really easy. Maybe SAG is right and Pop is tanking. He can't be making every wrong decision here. That's not incompetence. That's a statistical anamoly.

Of course, watch him around and start Cissoko or Mamu at PG if Sochan sits.
    There was tons of talk around here over the summer about how the 5 best players on the team (Wemby/Vassell/Keldon/Sochan/Collins) wouldn't make a functional lineup. Then Pop said "fuk yo functional lineup clown". Vassell was just about universally seen as the second least benchable player on the team behind Wemby. There were good arguments for having any of Keldon/Sochan/Collins be left out of the starting lineup, but not the best perimeter volume scorer on the team, no matter how low a bar that is to clear. On top of that Vassell just got a big contract extension and will (probably) be the highest paid player on the team for the next few seasons.

Perhaps Pop's offseason comment that nobody should complain about coming off the bench because Manu did was actually directed at Vassell? Just about all of us assumed it was aimed at Keldon, or maybe Sochan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There was tons of talk around here over the summer about how the 5 best players on the team (Wemby/Vassell/Keldon/Sochan/Collins) wouldn't make a functional lineup. Then Pop said "fuk yo functional lineup clown". Vassell was just about universally seen as the second least benchable player on the team behind Wemby. There were good arguments for having any of Keldon/Sochan/Collins be left out of the starting lineup, but not the best perimeter volume scorer on the team, no matter how low a bar that is to clear. On top of that Vassell just got a big contract extension and will (probably) be the highest paid player on the team for the next few seasons.

Perhaps Pop's offseason comment that nobody should complain about coming off the bench because Manu did was actually directed at Vassell? Just about all of us assumed it was aimed at Keldon, or maybe Sochan.
    I'm not talking about what STers (myself included) thought. We all had different ideas for what should happen. Some folks correctly (to their dismay now I imagine) called that Sochan would play PG. I would've told you Jones was an obvious starter. Some thought Wemby would have to play center. Some people thought Sochan would play SF and Keldon would be benched. I thought Sochan would be benched.

I'm talking about what I think Pop thought, and I don't think it was "best five" as much as it was "Sochan, Keldon and Collins are starters" and Wemby and Vassell probably should also start. So Jones was never going to play well enough to PG to push Sochan would of the starting lineup. He would only be able to push Vassell out of the lineup. Vassell was awesome to start the season, so that didn't happen. Obviously Wemby was going to start, but I also think it was more likely that Wemby came off the bench than any of those three, as ridiculous as it sounds. It would've been the same bull reasoning too (Manu came off the bench, so Victor can too to start out).

There might be a huge disconnect between what Pop wants and what Wright wants. That might be because Pop doesn't want to stifle long-term roster moves for his short-term goals. So Wright gave Vassell a deal to stay around because he believes Devin deserves it, but Pop may not believe Devin's earned an unquestioned starting position. Remember, we're talking about a front office that went through so much effort to get DeMarre Carroll only for Pop to have zero-interest in playing him. It wouldn't be unprecedented, even though it's inexcusably dumb. Again, maybe Pop is making himself the lightning rod while the Spurs try to tank one last year. We can only hope this mania is temporary. I don't think the front office is at any risk of changing over -- if Wright survived that Primo , he's going to survive a bad season. But it really feels like if there are no shenanigans going on that the Spurs should have different players on their roster than they do now in order to do things Pop seems to want to do.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I'm talking about what I think Pop thought, …

What Pop thought was that putting Sochan in place of Tre would improve the defense.

People keep making the mistake of looking at the O when it’s about the D.

So Jones was never going to play well enough to PG to push Sochan would of the starting lineup. He would only be able to push Vassell out of the lineup. …

You think Pop thought Tre might play well enough to displace Vassell. At SG.

Perhaps you would rephrase your remarks. That can’t be what you really think.

Anyway, what’s happened so far, Pop put Sochan in place of Tre with the expectation it would improve the horrible D of last season. Theoretically, one would suppose it should. (We now know the D is still horrible, but this knowledge is after the fact of the change. It wasn’t predictable the D would still be so bad.)

It’s safe to assume Pop thought the team would still score enough points, with Sochan at PG. That has proven not to be the case, but again, this knowledge is after the fact.

People believe the Spurs are tanking - from the very first game!?! Absolute and utter nonsense. The Spurs look like they’re tanking because the FO has not provided nearly enough talent to overcome the excruciatingly incompetent coaching.

When Vassell got injured Pop put Branham in the starting lineup, and has since kept him there because Pop is trying to get Branham going. Pop has a history of this kind of thing. Recall when Pop was so pleased to get Belinelli, again. Pop gave Beli playing time, and ran plays for him, to try to get him going. Pop used that exact phrasing, get him going, in some remark he made at the time. It didn’t work, of course, because Beli was washed, and was never that good in the first place, but Pop tried.

For Vassell vs Branham, it isn’t about Pop viewing Vassell as a starter or not. It’s basically about giving Branham a chance to show that the Spurs haven’t wasted a draft pick. Starting is supposed to motivate Branham, to help develop him and “get him going.”

You’re looking for some kind of planning or deeper meaning where none exists. Pop is winging it, reacting to events.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    It's not really about bad coaching. It's about having too much freedom to experiment. Pop loves to experiment with the team, and the ownership and RC seem ok with it. From a coaching standpoint, Pop is probably a really good coach for player development. He's just too tinker happy and has carte blanche to Josef Mengele the roster.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not really about bad coaching. …

Like it isn’t.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    ok. I don't see any argument there.

Thread Information