Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    TB...

Does GM pay you to do their commercials?

Do you really trust what GM officials say?

Care to buy some Wild Cobra Snake Oil?

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    WC....I read on the automontive industry constantly. I subscribe to 6 trade mags. I'm a huge car enthusiast and I've learned to read between the lines. Also, 2 old friends of mine were very high up in Ford and GM. I trust their outlook and perspective, and I ass whip them to death everytime I see them.

Feel free to point out anything I've brought up in error. But since you can't, I'll just leave you to those 17k 40mpg Fusions.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    WC....I read on the automontive industry constantly. I subscribe to 6 trade mags. I'm a huge car enthusiast and I've learned to read between the lines. Also, 2 old friends of mine were very high up in Ford and GM. I trust their outlook and perspective, and I ass whip them to death everytime I see them.

Feel free to point out anything I've brought up in error. But since you can't, I'll just leave you to those 17k 40mpg Fusions.
    Good for you.

I'll still sell you some Wild Cobra Snake Oil if you like!
    Last edited by Wild Cobra; 08-07-2013 at 02:41 AM.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    The link I saw may have been incorrect, and now I can't find it. It was just a couple days ago. Many things on the internet are incorrect. I did see it though. Other searches tend to show the base model can be found for that little, but only their hybrid get 40 MPG.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    General Motors (GM) has plenty of good reasons for its decision today to slash $5,000 off the sticker price of its hybrid Chevrolet Volt, a model that analysts say already sells for a loss.

The company needs the model to stay compe ive with the Nissan (NSANY) Leaf and Toyota (TM) Prius. It has found some ways to build Volts more cheaply in roughly four years of production. It wants to help save the world.

But one reason trumps those all: Chevy is slashing Volt prices because it has been selling a ton of pickups and wants to keep doing so. That probably makes no sense to most car buyers, but the seemingly separate models are linked in the minds of federal regulators and, correspondingly, GM executives.

Through a complicated formula that accounts for various models, weights, and the size or “footprint” of each car, the U.S. government derives a single mileage number for each carmaker—dubbed the Corporate Average Fuel Economy—CAFE for acronym lovers.

The current standard falls around 26 miles per gallon for a combined fleet of cars and light trucks. Under this complex regulatory net, a company that is selling too many gas guzzlers and not enough fuel-sipping compacts faces steep fines. Meanwhile, carmakers that beat their number can book credits to sell or use later. Not only do hybrid cars like the Volt score great mileage points in the federal system, but also in a few years each one will count as two vehicles thanks to a generous loophole in the latest rules.

To date, the penalties have fallen inordinately on foreign carmakers that haven’t been too worried about pushing small, efficient models to U.S. buyers. Uncle Sam just collected a handsome $16.3 million check from Mercedes (DAI:GR), because the company was so focused on über-sedans it blew right by its mileage limit.

But CAFE standards will step up steeply in the next few years and almost double by 2025. With truck sales at full throttle, GM and other U.S. carmakers need to sell hybrid vehicles to keep their handsome truck profits from getting dinged by penalties. In the first seven months of this year, GM sold almost 389,000 trucks and only 11,643 Volts.

“If there was no CAFE, GM wouldn’t even be in the small-car game,” says Bloomberg Industries analyst Kevin Tynan. “They would be selling trucks all day.”

http://www.businessweek.com/articles...-pickups#r=rss

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Good for you.

I've got to cut down some old trees along my fence line. Will WCSNO make a good bar oil for my chainsaw?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good for you.

*made from real corporation sperms. He harvests it himself.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    *bulk erases brain*

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I run it big time backwards in the cooler months. Keeping Ms. CC cool in the summer, however pretty much uses everything it produces and then some.
    Given the rolling black outs we have been experiencing in central Texas when it gets hot, the solar installation that provides power even then looks better and better.

That is one of the key features of solar PV, it makes more electricity when it is needed most.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    CPS Energy asking for rate increase

4.75 percent increase would be first since 2010

customers using 1,500 kilowatt hours of electricity a month would see their bill increase from $136.79 to $142.03, still lower than every other large city in Texas.

Wednesday's presentation suggested increases of 5.25 percent in 2016 and 4.5 percent in 2018 but both of those would have to go before the city council for approval.

http://www.ksat.com/news/cps-energy-...z/-/index.html

City Council should push CPS to promote distributed solar by committing permanently to attractive feed in tariff and time-of-day metering. All the centralized utility arguments against distributed generation are bull .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Given the rolling black outs we have been experiencing in central Texas when it gets hot, the solar installation that provides power even then looks better and better.

That is one of the key features of solar PV, it makes more electricity when it is needed most.
    Actually it is designed so that if the power to the house goes down the solar inverter shuts down. They wouldn't want my system back feeding to the grid and potentially frying a guy repairing the CPS line.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Strong Sales, Market Traction, Lower Battery Costs Highlight New EV Report

Plug in Electric Vehicle (PEVs) in their first 2 ½ years on the market have seen about double the sales of hybrid electric vehicles 2 ½ years after they made their debut in 2000, according to a new report.

An Electrification Coalition and Price Waterhouse Coopers study, “State of the Plug-in Electric Vehicle,” finds that PEVs — including Tesla’s Model S, GM Chevy Volt, and the Nissan Leaf — have dominated EV sales. More than 110,000 plug-in vehicles have been sold since January 2011. EV sales in 2013 alone have increased 100% in the first half of 2013, compared to the first six months a year earlier.

the price of EV batteries is expected to decline by nearly 50% by the end of this decade, with an industry cost between $300–$325 per kilowatt-hour. Between 2010 and 2012, EV battery costs alone dropped by 40%.

http://cleantechnica.com/2013/08/14/...new-ev-report/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I haven't experienced any of these rolling black outs.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Then, there aren't, haven't been any black outs, right?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only ones I've experienced have been when lightning strikes a transformer or something.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Southern California Edison Offers Insight Into Impact Of Electric Vehicles On Grid

There were six major discoveries from the report:

Our approach to managing PEV-grid impact is meeting our customers’ needs: Since 2010, of all the nearly 400 upgrades we made to (or identified for) circuits that serve PEV customers, only 1 percent of that work was required due to additional power demands from PEVs. The rest of the work was required under our regular infrastructure upgrade and maintenance schedule.

Using the “end charge” time programing feature is good for EV customers and their neighbors:
    It’s better for grid reliability and neighborhood circuits when drivers program their charging to be complete by a specific time. When customers set an “end charge” time for charging to be complete, they randomize the start time of their charging, which prevents a large number of vehicles from coming online at the same time — avoiding power-load es that potentially could affect the local distribution system.

What SCE customers want to know most about EVs
    : When 15,000 SCE customers visit our EV website monthly, about 46 percent make their first stop with the Plug-In Car Rate Assistant Tool, which helps estimate charging costs. Customers also click to find out more about public charging station locations from our link to the U.S. Department of Energy’s map, watch videos on EVs and read background materials on environmental benefits and home electric infrastructure requirements.

Initial findings show early adopters of battery-electric vehicle (BEV) technology demonstrate consistent and predictable behavior:
    A sample of Nissan Leaf owners have indicated that any “range anxiety” had been eliminated after driving their new BEV over time. Most reported their overnight charging at 240 volts was sufficient to support their daily driving patterns.

Multi-unit residents may face complex challenges:
    Despite high interest in EVs from condominium and apartment dwellers, fewer than 5 percent of building owners or condominium associations are even considering installing the necessary charging infrastructure. There are multiple rebates and incentives in the works to improve the situation.

SCE and the cities we serve are charged up and ready to go:
    Virtually all of the 180 cities in SCE’s service territory are committed to helping their residents plug in by streamlining permitting and inspection processes.

http://cleantechnica.com/2013/08/13/...icles-on-grid/

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    There was a blackout in my part of town last night. But, the cops made him get back in his car and leave.

*rimshot*

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    There was a blackout in my part of town last night. But, the cops made him get back in his car and leave.

*rimshot*
    his car? yeah, right.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    US Electric Car Sales Have Increased 361% In 2013 So Far

http://cleantechnica.com/2013/11/06/...-361-2013-far/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually it is designed so that if the power to the house goes down the solar inverter shuts down. They wouldn't want my system back feeding to the grid and potentially frying a guy repairing the CPS line.
    Ah, there you go.

You going to install any battery back ups?

I have been looking into physical energy storage systems, like simple large water tanks. Build one at a higher elevation that is pumped by some % of energy produced, then a mostly empty one at a lower elevation and have a mechanism that generates hydropower from the water moving from one to the other.

This would have the benefit of storing water as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They have had them in the central texas corridor.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sugar Battery With Unmatched Energy Density Created

http://cleantechnica.com/2014/01/22/...ItlGPRGlb58.99

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    It didn't give a complete byproduct list. I wonder what it is.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It didn't give a complete byproduct list. I wonder what it is.
    I'm sure you can find, or imagine, a horrible weakness, a huge negative. Do Your Own Research (c)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hopefully it gets to market. If it does Virginia Tech is gonna make boocoo money off of the patent rights.

Thread Information