Page 142 of 152 FirstFirst ... 4292132138139140141142143144145146 ... LastLast
Results 3,526 to 3,550 of 3787
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    White police officer found not guilty in vicious beating of an unarmed Black man in San Francisco

San Francisco Police Officer Terrance Stangel was found not guilty of three felony counts in what the Los Angeles Times reports as

the first excessive-force trial for an on-duty officer in the city’s history.

The jury was deadlocked on a fourth charge of unlawfully beating Spiers under the colors of authority.

On Oct. 7, 2019, Decari Spiers was out on a date with his then girlfriend at Fisherman’s Wharf. The couple had not committed any crimes.

When two officers arrived, allegedly following up on 911 calls about a man choking and dragging a woman, Spiers was confused when Officer Cuauhtemoc Martínez grabbed him and Stangel began beating him.

“It is undisputed that officers did not observe any physical violence or unlawful conduct by either of them,”

ordered Spiers to get against the wall, but according to prosecutors, neither officer gave him reasonable commands before Stangel started beating Spiers with his baton, landing at least seven blows.

Spiers was never charged with any crime and later received a $700,000 civil settlement from the city.

“This case was sabotaged from day one by police officers and investigators

who simply will not allow police officers to be held accountable for perpetrating violence,”

left Spiers w/broken leg

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2022/3/8/2084688/-White-police-officer-found-not-guilty-in-vicious-beating-of-an-unarmed-Black-man-in-San-Francisco

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    HOLE Arizona House approves ban on close-up videotaping of police officers

illegal to take photos or video recordings of police officers in some cir stances

The original proposal from Rep. John Kavanagh made it

illegal to record within 15 feet of an officer interacting with someone unless the officer gave permission.

The revised bill was approved on a 31-28 party-line vote Feb. 23 and lowers the distance to 8 feet.

It also now allows someone who is in a car stopped by police or is being questioned to tape the encounter and limits the scope of the types of police actions that trigger the law to only those that are possibly dangerous.

https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/arizona-house-approves-ban-on-close-up-videotaping-of-police-officers

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LASD police gangs are real

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obese cop falls and kills man exiting his vehicle after police chase

- cop pursues car in high speed chase
    - car crashes in a ditch
    - obese cops runs to the crash, falls while entering the ditch splitting her pants
    - suspect crawls out of the crashed vehicle only to be shot at point blank range
    - cop proceeds to cpr/chest compressions as he's dying which is making his injuries worse

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fraternal Order Of Police Helps Boost Telecom Smear Campaign Against FCC Nominee Gigi Sohn

Since they can’t attack her actual record, telecom and media giants have been engaged in an absolutely grotesque smear campaign involving getting various groups to

falsely accuse Sohn of disliking minorities, hating rural America, or trying to censor conservatives.

With the entire GOP in loyal lockstep (as is usually the case), telecom’s now focused on flipping the votes of Senators Mark Kelly of Arizona, Catherine Cortez Mastro of Nevada, and Joe Manchin of West Virginia to kill Sohn’s nomination dead.

Joining that campaign is the Fraternal Order of Police (FOP).

For the last six months, FOP has been spewing all manner of gibberish complaints about Sohn,

including the idea that her nomination should be opposed because she (gasp) supports encryption.

I’d wager much of this being coordinated by AT&T, which has a long history with precisely this kind of greasy and has an existing partnership with FOP.

https://www.techdirt.com/2022/05/06/...nee-gigi-sohn/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DMN email

Two Dallas police officers and one Garland police officer accused of assaulting demonstrators during 2020 protests downtown were indicted Friday on multiple felony charges.

Dallas police Senior Cpl. Ryan Mabry,

former Dallas police Senior Cpl. Melvin Williams and

Garland police Officer Joe Privitt

were indicted for their involvement in the demonstrations, which were spurred by the murder of George Floyd by a Minneapolis police officer.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Investigation Shows Hundreds of US Cops Being Trained by Far-Right Extremists

"Bad training is instilling bad behavior,"

Hundreds of cops across the United States have been taught by individuals who espouse far-right extremist views,

Reuters identified five law enforcement trainers

who have been hired by police and sheriffs' departments nationwide despite their support for right-wing militia groups,

including the Oath Keepers, Proud Boys, and Three Percenters;

Some use bigoted instructional materials that promote racism, misogyny, and transphobia, and many endorse the cons utional sheriff philosophy,

Adherents to the cons utional sheriff movement consider the federal government a grave threat to U.S. citizens," Reuters reported.

"They argue that local law enforcement is a higher authority, with the power to countermand the decisions of legislatures, courts, and presidents."

https://www.commondreams.org/news/20...ght-extremists

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Violent cops indicted in Dallas

Menu

Former Sr. Cpl. Melvin Williams and suspended Sr. Cpl. Ryan Mabry were indicted on all the felony charges brought by Dallas County District Attorney John Creuzot, court records show. Mabry faces six counts of aggravated assault by a public servant while Williams was indicted on four counts. Both Mabry and Williams were also indicted on two counts of deadly conduct. Each officer had also been charged with three counts of misdemeanor official oppression, which do not require a grand jury to weigh in. Garland Officer Joe Privitt was only indicted on the single felony of aggravated assault by a public servant.
    https://www.dmagazine.com/frontburne...loyd-protests/

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

There isn't an ill wind that doesn't blow somebody some good...
    tee, hee!!!

~~~

NEW YORK CITY
    Published May 5, 2022 2:00am EDT

NYPD overtime projected to surpass allotted budget by $142M+ in 2022 amid 'unprecedented' crime climate

What is causing NYC police to need to take so much overtime?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Driving while black in Georgia. Tyrants pull over a women's lacrosse team's bus and searches it for drugs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Driving while black in Georgia. Tyrants pull over a women's lacrosse team's bus and searches it for drugs.

that's why some people like them so much, tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "An armed force for protection and participation."

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    AI Identifies 160 Possible 'Crews' of Criminal Cops in Chicago

The identified groups make up less than 4 percent of Chicago's police force

but account for a quarter of all complaints, settlements, and shootings.

https://www.vice.com/amp/en/article/...ops-in-chicago

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LASD Deputy Shot Off Another Deputy’s Gang Tattoo, Received Promotion

Deputies with the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department attempted to shoot a deputy gang tattoo off of a man during a camping trip in Kern County in 2015.

Department sources say the deputies shot the tattoo off

because an unauthorized change had been made to the design.

All deputy gang tattoo changes must be cleared with deputy gang leadership, several sources told
    Knock LA.

https://knock-la.com/deputy-gang-tattoo-shot-off/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kansas police shoot pregnant Black woman five times despite having her hands up: witness

officers in the Kansas Police Department spotted a vehicle at a Family Dollar that was suspected of being stolen.

A witness named Shédanja later told The Kansas City StarThe Kansas City Star that she had seen the shooting and recorded a video of the aftermath.

The woman exited the car with her hands up, Shédanja said.

Officers told the woman to get on the ground,

but the woman told them she was pregnant,

Shédanja said, and couldn’t get down on the ground.

Police asked her to get down multiple times.

The woman then told police there was a gun in the vehicle.

The woman started backing toward a fence in the parking lot.

Several officers approached her and had their weapons drawn, Shédanja said.

“She did not pull out a weapon on them,” Shédanja recalled. “She did not even have a stick in her hand.”

"They got her in handcuff while they shot her, y'all," Shédanja says in the video.

https://www.rawstory.com/kansas-city...nt-woman-shot/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "An armed force for protection and participation."

Louisville is probably the most brazenly corrupt right now. They are as bad as the border patrol was right before they got shut down.

Thin blue line!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you can beat the rap, but you can't beat the ride

This case began when one Anthony Novak of Parma, Ohio, created a Facebook page called “The City of Parma Police Department.” His page parodied the real Parma Police Department’s page in an overblown and obvious way, offering community outreach services like “free abortions in a police van” and advertising a “Pedophile Reform event” featuring a “No Means No” learning station. When the real Parma police learned of this outrage, they responded in a normal, measured wa—haha, no, they somberly announced a full investigation and sent a letter to Facebook demanding that it retain all the data related to the fake page, a step that typically precedes litigation or, in this case, criminal charges. They then issued a press release warning the town about the fake page, as if a parody ad offering abortion care performed by cops were a grave threat to public safety. Novak deleted comments that noted his page was fake, and posted to his fake page the real police department’s warning about it. After that, he took the page down, as he was worried he’d get in trouble.

He was right. The page’s deletion was not enough for the intrepid members of the Parma Police Department. They got a search warrant for Facebook, learned Novak was the author, and arrested him, charging him under an Ohio law that makes it a crime to use a computer to “disrupt or impair” police functions. Novak spent four days in jail before a jury acquitted him. Eventually, he brought this lawsuit alleging—and this is a technical term—a truckload of hilariously obvious First Amendment violations.

In a normal world where the federal courts still worked, this isn’t even a close case. Parody and satire is protected speech under the First Amendment, and the more obvious the parody, the more likely it will receive protection. Previously, the Supreme Court has acknowledged that parody can “provide social benefit,” and that parody necessarily borrows from the original to make its point. Even bad parody is covered; as a New York federal judge wrote in a 1992 case about trademark infringement, “First Amendment protections do not apply only to those who speak clearly, whose jokes are funny, and whose parodies succeed.”

But in Novak, Sixth Circuit didn’t reach the free speech issues. Rather, their decision turns on qualified immunity, the judge-created doctrine that protects police from civil lawsuits when they are alleged to have violated someone’s cons utional rights. Under qualified immunity, cops are not on the hook even for flagrant violations of rights as long as their conduct didn’t run afoul of “clearly established” law.

As Hannah Mullen has noted for Balls & Strikes, the Supreme Court has since read this loophole so generously that cops are presumed to have no knowledge they’re doing something wrong unless a previous case with nearly-identical facts exists in which a court decided cops did do something wrong. Under the prevailing view of qualified immunity, you could avoid a conviction for going 120 MPH in a school zone simply because previous convictions had only dealt with speeds of up to 85 MPH, and you therefore didn’t have enough firm guidance not to push the needle into the red.

And that’s what the Sixth Circuit decided here, too, in a decision from a conservative all-star panel of George W. Bush appointee Chief Judge Jeffrey Sutton and Trump appointees Amul Thapar and Chad Readler. Thapar, writing for the panel, asserted that Novak couldn’t cite to a case that was exactly the same as this case—one that “clearly establishes” that “deleting comments or copying the official warning is protected speech.” Thus, the police couldn’t have known that arresting him for running a joke Facebook page was wrong.
    https://ballsandstrikes.org/law-poli...e-novak-parma/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kansas police shoot pregnant Black woman five times despite having her hands up: witness

officers in the Kansas Police Department spotted a vehicle at a Family Dollar that was suspected of being stolen.

A witness named Shédanja later told The Kansas City StarThe Kansas City Star that she had seen the shooting and recorded a video of the aftermath.

The woman exited the car with her hands up, Shédanja said.

Officers told the woman to get on the ground,

but the woman told them she was pregnant,

Shédanja said, and couldn’t get down on the ground.

Police asked her to get down multiple times.

The woman then told police there was a gun in the vehicle.

The woman started backing toward a fence in the parking lot.

Several officers approached her and had their weapons drawn, Shédanja said.

“She did not pull out a weapon on them,” Shédanja recalled. “She did not even have a stick in her hand.”

"They got her in handcuff while they shot her, y'all," Shédanja says in the video.

https://www.rawstory.com/kansas-city...nt-woman-shot/

Pro lifers predictably silent

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another police hoax -- made up evidence, fictional informant -- that will be ignored by board conservatives even after Minneapolis pays hundreds of thousands to settle.

A Minneapolis man who was the subject of a botched drug raid has filed a federal lawsuit against several police officers, alleging they needlessly beat him during a traffic stop and one of them later "fabricated and/or misrepresented evidence to a Hennepin County judge" to obtain a warrant for his home.

The lawsuit alleges Minneapolis officers Tony Partyka, Neal Walsh and other unidentified officers violated Moore's civil rights by "unnecessarily and recklessly using excessive force to pull Moore from his vehicle, throw him to the ground" and beat him on the side of the road during a routine traffic stop, leaving Moore with a broken nose and other injuries.

A few months later, Partyka violated Moore's civil rights again "as retribution for Moore's complaints to the Minneapolis police department" about the use of force when he led a SWAT raid into Moore's north Minneapolis home with a no-knock warrant, according to the suit.

Hennepin County Judge Paul Scoggin ultimately threw out the drugs and other evidence recovered in the search, after Moore's public defenders exposed what Scoggin called a "reckless disregard for the truth" on the part of Partyka.

"Unfortunately for Moore, the warrant was only quashed after he had unjustly been forced to spend over seven months in jail when he was arrested after the illegal search of his residence," the lawsuit states.

The Minneapolis City Attorney is reviewing the lawsuit, but declined to comment on the allegations, said city spokesman Casper Hill.

The Star Tribune first reported on Moore's saga in May 2021, after the charges against him were dropped. Chief among the questions that unraveled the case: Did Partyka embellish — or fabricate — key information from a trusted informant?

"We think that the confidential informant in this case may not have existed," said Tanya Bishop, one of Moore's public defenders, in an interview at the time.
    https://www.startribune.com/lawsuit-...nce/600178969/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A Texas teen driving to his mother’s house was unlawfully arrested over pandemic restrictions, lawsuit says

The lawsuit cites findings from a ProPublica and Texas Tribune investigation that showed

a small border town issued far more tickets for violations of stay-at-home orders in April 2020

than two major cities combined.

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/06...emic-progreso/

Anybody wanna guess the ethnicity of of the warrior cops' aggression?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pro lifers predictably silent
    ... because they aren't pro-life, or even good-faith Americans.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LASD harasses public officials who criticize them

Thread Information