Page 15 of 417 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565115 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We could be worse just look at the Pistons they are on a 16 game loss streak - Which shows when you start picking high draft picks you just don't turn it around in one year.

2021 Number 1 Draft Pick - Cade Cunningham
    2022 Number 5 Draft Pick - Jaden Ivey
    2023 Number 5 Draft Pick - Ausur Thompson
    Exactly. Even before Pop's mic moment, people were calling for his head like he hasn't delivered for decades straight and adapted with the changing times. It takes time to build a contender, especially if you're doing from the ground up like the Spurs. As a side note, with Pistons' guard-heavy roster, it's unlikely they draft another guard so guys like Collier have a better shot at being on the table for us. Still, even with a potential star from this draft, Spurs are still going to have a hard time next year. They'll be better, but it's a process. These spoiled brats either don't get it or love to yap.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No awkward white centers.
    he would be a mid-late 2nd round pick. He wouldn't be a bust if he didn't pan out, but he would be an absolute steal if he did. I really only care about his rebounding and shot alteration potential. Everything else he gives is gravy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Edey is like boban redux. Hope all the best for him but I don’t really see him being all that great. His foot speed is glacial, even by seven footer standards.

Great shot blocker, rebounder and he sets great screens. But ultimately his offensive moves are unlikely to be all that effective in an nba setting. I wish him the best but mid second rounder is about right. Maybe early 2nd rounder if he shows improvement this year

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Its funny, Edey now has the possibility of an NBA career thanks to the likes of Wemby and Chet. That wasnt the case even two years ago. His breed of lumbering centers is pretty much extinct, but those two, but mostly VW, are gonna give the Edey types a chance to fight for deep bench positions.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Edey is like boban redux. Hope all the best for him but I don’t really see him being all that great. His foot speed is glacial, even by seven footer standards.

Great shot blocker, rebounder and he sets great screens. But ultimately his offensive moves are unlikely to be all that effective in an nba setting. I wish him the best but mid second rounder is about right. Maybe early 2nd rounder if he shows improvement this year
    I’m wondering about his combine numbers if that were the case. He had better lane agility and 3/4 court sprint numbers than wings like Kobe Bufkin. There is an illusion that big guys are moving slow when they just have really long legs that don’t appear to be moving much. Wemby doesn’t appear to move fast on the break, because it only takes him like 6 strides to go the length of the court. He covers a lot of ground in a hurry, though.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Risacher is interesting. He sucked hard in FIBA U19 and his draft stock tanked. However, this year in Eurocup he's been knocking down threes and playing good defense. I personally think that drafting him is a trap. He still has a relatively low free throw %, but even more importantly he has thus far shown no evidence of offensive self creation. He'll probably be a decent player down the road as a 3 and D guy, but he's always going to be drafted way higher than he should because of his 3 point percentage, youth, and measurables. I think top 5 picks should be reserved for offensive engines and guys with self creation, as well as true potential game changers and I don't see that for him. Would rather take the bet on Dunn 10-15 spots back who gives you outlier level defense, better rebounding, and a similar free throw percentage this year albeit 2 years older and use your own pick on Topic.
    Yes, i dont see anything from the scouting videos (limited I know) that merits him being selected in the top 5. Feels like a strong stay away for Spurs with their natural pick. If his projection is 3/D guy with some handles, I too prefer someone like Dunn with a relentless motor.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, i dont see anything from the scouting videos (limited I know) that merits him being selected in the top 5. Feels like a strong stay away for Spurs with their natural pick. If his projection is 3/D guy with some handles, I too prefer someone like Dunn with a relentless motor.
    Players are no longer drafted on what they are, but what they project to be. Teams must project more than 3 and D if he's rated that high. Euros usually have good fundamentals, so that probably factors into it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Risacher might have the highest floor of this draft. He should be at least a high quality role player in the Batum mold. It's unclear what his ceiling is.

I agree that it isn't the kind of player usually drafted in the top 5 but who is in that draft ? Right now there isn't a single player in that draft class who looks like an usual top 5 pick. When I see who is behind Risacher in mock drafts, they aren't players who look better than him right now.

He would be a good fit with Spurs. For example, if Spurs add a player like Quickley next summer, they would have a starting lineup of Quickley/Vassell/Risacher/Sochan/Wembanayama that looks nice on the paper.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Risacher might have the highest floor of this draft. He should be at least a high quality role player in the Batum mold. It's unclear what his ceiling is.

I agree that it isn't the kind of player usually drafted in the top 5 but who is in that draft ? Right now there isn't a single player in that draft class who looks like an usual top 5 pick. When I see who is behind Risacher in mock drafts, they aren't players who look better than him right now.

He would be a good fit with Spurs. For example, if Spurs add a player like Quickley next summer, they would have a starting lineup of Quickley/Vassell/Risacher/Sochan/Wembanayama that looks nice on the paper.
    I think if theyre not sold on using picks #1-3 on Collier (or another PG riser), they should go out and get Quickly now to avoid a RFA overpay. Then get a Proctor or Topic at #10. I don't dislike his fit with the Spurs actually.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’s huge by NBA standards, 7’4”, no shoes, 7’10” wingspan.

It’s also barely December. Last year at this time, Anthony Black wasn’t in the Lottery, and Taylor Hendricks wasn’t projected in the first round. They were drafted #6 and #9.
    Nobody in the nba needs a less talented boban

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m wondering about his combine numbers if that were the case. He had better lane agility and 3/4 court sprint numbers than wings like Kobe Bufkin. There is an illusion that big guys are moving slow when they just have really long legs that don’t appear to be moving much. Wemby doesn’t appear to move fast on the break, because it only takes him like 6 strides to go the length of the court. He covers a lot of ground in a hurry, though.
    I remember in 1999 during the strike the Spurs players practiced together at Full Life Fitness Center on Callaghan. One day me and another guy filled in to make 10. Will Perdue was playing. He is often thought of in that slow, lumbering mode, but I thought he was extremely quick and agile. The only thing that saved me in that game was that me and the other guy could do anything and there was no foul. Good times.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    New ESPN mock has us taking Collier at #1.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My only memories of Edy are of him failing to make an impact in last year’s tournament. Seems very unlikely he’ll do any better against NBA players

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Reed Sheppard just shoot up on Tankathon mock draft that came out yesterday - He is currently at number 11 that is a pretty big jump for the Freshmen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We could be worse just look at the Pistons they are on a 16 game loss streak - Which shows when you start picking high draft picks you just don't turn it around in one year.

2021 Number 1 Draft Pick - Cade Cunningham
    2022 Number 5 Draft Pick - Jaden Ivey
    2023 Number 5 Draft Pick - Ausur Thompson
    This could also be an indicator that it is difficult to escape the basement with draft picks alone. Though I don't like FVV/Dillon Brooks, Houston paired their youth with these veterans and the early indication is that it appears to be paying off.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Love the Juan Nunez pick in the mid second as a potential draft and stash.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This could also be an indicator that it is difficult to escape the basement with draft picks alone. Though I don't like FVV/Dillon Brooks, Houston paired their youth with these veterans and the early indication is that it appears to be paying off.
    I don’t know about the Houston thing. They’re 8-9 and in 10th place. So let’s say they manage to improve a bit and get into the 8th slot or somewhere around there. They’re going to have to really manipulate their bottom of the bench in the off season and hope for some significant development to make any real headway.

It’s an interesting path that I don’t think I would have taken. If they figure out how to squeeze some moves in then it might pay off. The FVV contract would have me concerned long term.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t know about the Houston thing. They’re 8-9 and in 10th place. So let’s say they manage to improve a bit and get into the 8th slot or somewhere around there. They’re going to have to really manipulate their bottom of the bench in the off season and hope for some significant development to make any real headway.

It’s an interesting path that I don’t think I would have taken. If they figure out how to squeeze some moves in then it might pay off. The FVV contract would have me concerned long term.
    I think it's a smart strategy (pairing the abundance of youth with some strong vets) that we've used (see the "Who's to Blame" thread) but they just botched the execution by going with these two particular players. But at least for now, they appear to no longer be contenders for a bottom 3 record, which is not something Detroit (or us for that matter) can say, though we are earlier in the cycle.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it's a smart strategy (pairing the abundance of youth with some strong vets) that we've used (see the "Who's to Blame" thread) but they just botched the execution by going with these two particular players. But at least for now, they appear to no longer be contenders for a bottom 3 record, which is not something Detroit (or us for that matter) can say, though we are earlier in the cycle.
    Yeah I agree with your initial statement here. The concept is fine. Questionable execution.

I’m all for pairing our youth with vets. I just don’t have a sense of urgency to do that this season. Unless the right deal crops up. Unlike Houston’s moves I think we can be patient this year and end up executing that same strategy this offseason better than they did.

I know there’s a lot of criticism about the depth in this years draft but it’s looking like a guard heavy draft and I’d like to see what we can make of that with another high pick.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some rebounding and playmaking is needed

SA fan since 03 playoffs spursparker9's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is Bronny James declaring for the draft? Might as well get him and King James together.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's still early in the process so sample sizes are small, but Collier has some red flags that remind me of Scoot last year... weak impact stats on a 5-3 team, more TOs than assists. If this trend continues there's no way I'd put him ahead of Topic. Considering that USC starts two seniors and a junior and was 22-11 last year, the results so far have not been overly impressive.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is Bronny James declaring for the draft? Might as well get him and King James together.
    No.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

i don't think it will though. the rockets are 8-9 and winless on the road. they still don't have a franchise player but they do have some nice younger players although some of their lottery picks may not pan out. i would have hated it if the spurs had dropped so much cap space on the likes of a van vleet and brooks. the rockets are on their way to being the derozan/aldridge spurs of a few years ago-a perennial play in team. no thanks. i'm sure the spurs are not going to rely on draft picks alone but going shopping for free agents in a bad free agent year isn't necessarily the answer.

Thread Information