Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415
    Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Prefacing this by reiterating that I'm all for cities and states setting whatever minimum wage they deem appropriate and in their city/state's best interests.

New York City restaurant workers saw their pay increase by 20% after a $15 minimum-wage hike, and a new report says business is booming despite warnings that the boost would devastate the city's restaurant industry.
    If increasing the minimum wage 107% from $7.25 to $15 only resulted in a 20% increase in pay to restaurant workers, it sure doesn't sound like there were all that many restaurant workers earning minimum wage or close thereto to begin with.

As New York raised the minimum wage to $15 this year from $7.25 in 2013, its restaurant industry outperformed the rest of the US in job growth and expansion, a new study found.
    Seems like an odd comparison to make, NYC restaurant workers to the US as a whole. Economic growth in this country is concentrated in a relatively small handful of major metro areas, with NYC being at or near the top. I would expect NYC's restaurant industry to outperform the country as a whole, minimum wage increase or not.

So in a city with a great economy, raising the minimum wage to $15 didn't decimate one isolated industry where most of the workers in it were making well above federal minimum wage to begin with. Yay, I guess?

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You mean like all of them?

I recall TV commercials being recited at school back in the seventies, the jingles sung, the whole bit.

The pre-cable TV/pre-personal PC-world was kinda starved for content relatively speaking, seems to me.
    I remember radio stations having a contests about who could recite all that the fastest.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Prefacing this by reiterating that I'm all for cities and states setting whatever minimum wage they deem appropriate and in their city/state's best interests.

If increasing the minimum wage 107% from $7.25 to $15 only resulted in a 20% increase in pay to restaurant workers, it sure doesn't sound like there were all that many restaurant workers earning minimum wage or close thereto to begin with.

Seems like an odd comparison to make, NYC restaurant workers to the US as a whole. Economic growth in this country is concentrated in a relatively small handful of major metro areas, with NYC being at or near the top. I would expect NYC's restaurant industry to outperform the country as a whole, minimum wage increase or not.

So in a city with a great economy, raising the minimum wage to $15 didn't decimate one isolated industry where most of the workers in it were making well above federal minimum wage to begin with. Yay, I guess?
    I agree that a one-size fits all "living wage" won't work, but i also think it's ok for the Congress to set a floor for wages -- a maximum rate of labor exploitation, if you like.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    both are overdue by decades imho

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree that a one-size fits all "living wage" won't work, but i also think it's ok for the Congress to set a floor for wages -- a maximum rate of labor exploitation, if you like.
    I don't like. This leads to cut hours and lower wages in a great many cases.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rutgers study: 3 million Texans are paid less than minimum wage, TWC turns a blind eye to unpaid orders and even charges some of them off without collecting payment.

Stealing is a crime, right?

Why is TWC helping crooked employers get away with it?

To estimate the incidence of minimum wage violations in Texas between 2009 and 2022, this memouses Current Population Survey (CPS) Outgoing Rotation Group data, widely considered the bestpublicly available survey data on hours and earnings. CPS data enable us to identify minimum wageviolations for all covered, nonexempt workers in Texas. Estimates should be considered conservativeunderestimates due to data limitations and methods used.

Also crucial to Texas’ labor standards landscape is the Texas Payday Law, giving workers key wageprotections since its passage in 1989. In order to understand the Texas Workforce Commission(TWC)’s enforcement of wage theft provisions under the Texas Payday Law, the workplace justicelab@RU analyzed 136,420 claims filed from July 2009 to December 2020.We find that wage theft is persistent and widespread in Texas, and that TWC is struggling to keep upwith both claims from workers and collections from employers.

Key findings include:
    • Over 3 million workers are estimated to have suffered a minimum wage violation in Texasbetween 2009 and 2022 (3% of all workers, 11% of low-wage workers).
    • Minimum wage violations cost individual workers in Texas nearly $4,000 per year onaverage and over $12 billion in aggregate over the last fourteen years.

In regard to the enforcement of the Texas Payday Law, we find that:
    • While average wages ordered per claim continued to rise from $1,613 in 2010 to $2,249 in2020, the average amount paid during the same period declined slightly from $435 to $406.
    • While nearly $99 million in wages were ordered across more than 57,000 cases from2010 to 2020, over $78 million—or 80% of wages ordered—has yet to be received byworkers.
    • More than 39,000 claimants have not seen any portion of their ordered wages, yetnearly 17,000 of these claims are marked as being “closed” and “paid in full.”
    • TWC’s database of active administrative liens shows over 10,000 open liens, with delinquencyamounts totaling a potential $113 million.
    https://smlr.rutgers.edu/sites/defau...as-Aug2023.pdf

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Rutgers study: 3 million Texans are paid less than minimum wage, TWC turns a blind eye to unpaid orders and even charges some of them off without collecting payment.

Forget it, stink pot, you ain't gleaning Texas. No.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

What field are these workers in? I'm guessing wait staff or people on salary

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What field are these workers in? I'm guessing wait staff or people on salary
    wait staff made the list

Significant variation also exists across industries: the highest-violation industries were Private Households (maids, housecleaners, child care workers), Food Services and Drinking Places(waiters, waitresses, and cooks), and Personal and Laundry Services (hairdressers, cosmetologists, and personal appearance workers).

Across all industries, the highest violation rates were found in the following occupations: waiters and waitresses; teacher assistants; maids and housekeeping cleaners; child care workers; grounds and maintenance workers; personal and home care aides; cooks; and janitors and building cleaners

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wait staff made the list
    Figured. It's re ed they make $2+ per hour and rely on tips. Then the managers make them stay after closing to clean up for the same wage.

Thread Information