Page 152 of 399 FirstFirst ... 52102142148149150151152153154155156162202252 ... LastLast
Results 3,776 to 3,800 of 9974
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Important skill at what level?
    Doncic was dominating Euroleague at his age, Topic's only relevant games were in ABA league that's considerably weaker.

Getting into the paint in those two leagues is very different.
    Right. Getting there in the NBA is easier. Better spacing.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m sticking with Topic. He’s been at the top of most mocks since the start,not even his injury has affected his status.

People have it exactly backwards with him. They say he won’t be able to operate in the paint like he does in Europe, but the spacing is SO much better here. Don’t believe me, believe Luka Doncic when he says so. His paint work should translate seamlessly. He needs to improve his 3 point shot, but his shooting signal is strong with that 88% FT%. He’s got gd size and vision for a PG.
    Him pulling a Wiseman is concerning as , especially after looking trash in Euroleague.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was referring to Euroleague and ABA, smartass.
    Just checked the standings, Topic's team is 19-3 in ABA league and 10-19 in Euroleague.
    Don't really follow either one these days, but as far as I can recall, Euroleague teams use ABA as somewhat of a development league.
    Players that don't get many minutes in Euroleague rotation usually play more in ABA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But back to divisive draft thoughts. I'm still intrigued by Isiah Collier with the Toronto pick if we can't get Dillingham with our own pick.

Interesting breakdown on No Ceilings: https://www.noceilingsnba.com/p/isai...-trojans-horse

To be clear, I'm not advocating for him in a vacuum. I'm trying to find any players with star potential in this lackluster draft that is much better for role players. We need a star player. We need a point guard. So I think it's silly to discount Collier completely. His shooting is the main problem in my opinion. Since return from his hand injury, his assist to turn over ratio is 1.64 it turns out, which is not apocalyptic. His poor free throw shooting is definitely a concern. But he's great in the open court, he's great at lob passes, he's s great at getting to the rim at will and finishing, and he actually has pretty good vision most of the time. So there's enough there to take a look.
    If I'm swinging for the fences with the Toronto pick I strongly prefer Castle to Collier. Collier only shoots a couple points better from the three but Castle is better in almost every other way.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unless you can’t shoot. Then you become easy to guard and help opp pack the paint

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If I'm swinging for the fences with the Toronto pick I strongly prefer Castle to Collier. Collier only shoots a couple points better from the three but Castle is better in almost every other way.
    I'm not opposed to Dillingham and Castle with our potential two picks. I feel like Collier has a higher ceiling but more bust for sure compared to Castle. Castle definitely seems safer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    my problem with castle is i just dont know what he is. i think you're hoping he becomes an all around player like iguodala/butler. he doesnt quite look like a lead guard, lacks the jumper to be a traditional 2, lacks ideal length to be a 3, so there's just some questions about how he exactly fits in the nba

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yup... Give me Risacher, Topic, or Buzelis with the spurs pick depending on who's available

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No it's not. Doncic was referring to the Euroleague (where Topic had two underwhelming games) not ABA. Come on, no one can say it's easier to drive in the NBA wiht freakish athlets waiting to block the out of you than in the godam ABA. And it's one thing to get to the basket, it's another to finish in the NBA. Watch those HL of Topic driving in the ABA, there's litterally no one to cover, help or protect the rim once he gets past his guy. he's just laying it up, like a grandpa in a senior game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Topic hurt his knee on January 4 and was supposed to be out 4 to 6 weeks. We're now 10 weeks after January 4 and he still hasn't played...

Hoosphype has published his latest aggregate mock draft. I don't find the average draft order that interesting but they have quotes from NBA people on various players:
    https://hoopshype.com/lists/2024-agg...eppard-rising/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not putting much stock at all in Topic's very few minutes of EuroLeague play... as in i cant have any real takeaways from it. but that in and of itself is a problem. his anticipated euroleague play was to be a critical part of the evaluation, to see if he can still hang against better compe ion. now we have no real evidence of that one way or another, so any evaluation of him is going to feel incomplete.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's almost as if this a very nebulous draft with more uncertainty than ever...who knew!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Topic hurt his knee on January 4 and was supposed to be out 4 to 6 weeks. We're now 10 weeks after January 4 and he still hasn't played...

Hoosphype has published his latest aggregate mock draft. I don't find the average draft order that interesting but they have quotes from NBA people on various players:
    https://hoopshype.com/lists/2024-agg...eppard-rising/
    On 28th of February (2 weeks ago).

https://www.rotowire.com/euro/player/nikola-topic-1081

"Topic (knee) took jump shots Thursday, according to Meridian Sport.

"The last update on Topic's status indicated that he had resumed running, and the latest one signals another step in his recovery from the knee injury he sustained in early January. Head coach Ioannis Sfairopoulos, via another report from Meridian Sport, revealed that Topic is not yet training with his teammates, so he remains sidelined for now. However, it appears his absence may not extend much further."

That was 2 weeks ago and he's still not playing. Maybe his agent wants to take zero risks and be sure he'll be ready for the combine and workouts. It takes as much time to come back to 100% from an injury than the time you were out... A dozen weeks without compe ion, that's almost another 3 months to get back to rythm, if you actually do... I don't know if they actually plan on skipping workouts.

but yeah, the lack of real compe ive games Topic played in could makei it hard for scouts and GMs to evaluate the kid. He's a real risk, like most picks tho.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No it's not. Doncic was referring to the Euroleague (where Topic had two underwhelming games) not ABA. Come on, no one can say it's easier to drive in the NBA wiht freakish athlets waiting to block the out of you than in the godam ABA. And it's one thing to get to the basket, it's another to finish in the NBA. Watch those HL of Topic driving in the ABA, there's litterally no one to cover, help or protect the rim once he gets past his guy. he's just laying it up, like a grandpa in a senior game.
    I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but rim running shot blockers, our own alien excepted, are no longer at a premium. No one wants to really integrate them, because they can be played off the floor in the playoffs. Case in point: Clint Capella vs. Golden State. They played him off the floor easily to the point where Houston salary dumped him that summer. He was one of the bright young centers in the game right up until GS destroyed him.

The boogy man is not waiting in the lane any more. Victor had more blocks in Feb. than other entire teams.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but rim running shot blockers, our own alien excepted, are no longer at a premium. No one wants to really integrate them, because they can be played off the floor in the playoffs. Case in point: Clint Capella vs. Golden State. They played him off the floor easily to the point where Houston salary dumped him that summer. He was one of the bright young centers in the game right up until GS destroyed him.

The boogy man is not waiting in the lane any more. Victor had more blocks in Feb. than other entire teams.
    Dallas seems to be enjoying Lively and then doubled down by trading for Gafford, so they basically have one of them on the floor at all times. though there have been moments where Lively's drop coverage has gotten them in trouble

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dallas seems to be enjoying Lively and then doubled down by trading for Gafford, so they basically have one of them on the floor at all times. though there have been moments where Lively's drop coverage has gotten them in trouble
    I'd put Jarrett Allen, Rudy G, Zubac, and Kristaps (to some extent) in that category as well.

#trollswarm

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On 28th of February (2 weeks ago).

https://www.rotowire.com/euro/player/nikola-topic-1081

"Topic (knee) took jump shots Thursday, according to Meridian Sport.

"The last update on Topic's status indicated that he had resumed running, and the latest one signals another step in his recovery from the knee injury he sustained in early January. Head coach Ioannis Sfairopoulos, via another report from Meridian Sport, revealed that Topic is not yet training with his teammates, so he remains sidelined for now. However, it appears his absence may not extend much further."

That was 2 weeks ago and he's still not playing. Maybe his agent wants to take zero risks and be sure he'll be ready for the combine and workouts. It takes as much time to come back to 100% from an injury than the time you were out... A dozen weeks without compe ion, that's almost another 3 months to get back to rythm, if you actually do... I don't know if they actually plan on skipping workouts.

but yeah, the lack of real compe ive games Topic played in could makei it hard for scouts and GMs to evaluate the kid. He's a real risk, like most picks tho.
    i read that same update. on the upper corner of that page, there was an ETA of March 20th as his return date.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You know what teams also don't want to integrate? Defensive traffic cones, unless they're at least all-star level players.

Since you mentioned shot blockers, remember Gobert at Utah?
    Played defense 1v5 more or less during the regular season and won DPOYs.
    Come the playoffs, he looked bad against Houston not because he's useless, but because in every Jazz lineup there were at least 3 defensive traffic cones out on the perimeter.

As we're seeing this season, it doesn't matter if you've got a potential defensive GOAT on the floor, having negative defenders will only get you so far.
    A lot of people don't want Trae Young because they're concerned about his defense (rightfully so) and he's one of the best offensive engines in the league.

Just because Topic is supposedly 6'6 (more like barely 6'5 with subpar wingspan) it doesn't mean it would be easy to hide him.

Solid point guards are easy to find around the league if we're going the route of not having a star point guard, which is most likely a smart decision.
    But legit wings are really hard to find because most of them get overpaid and asking prices for wings are really high.

Right now, I'm fully in the camp of taking wings with both our picks.

Or just take Dillingham and hope he's the next Iverson or something.
    He's already got the skillset, he just needs to translate it to the NBA.
    Topic needs to develop his skillset and then translate it to the NBA, way harder to accomplish.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yup... Give me Risacher, Topic, or Buzelis with the spurs pick depending on who's available
    It'll be one of these guys. If Risacher is in fact coming down to earth (as opposed to just being in a mini slump), i do think that opens the door for Matas to slot back up as the top SF/PF prospect. At that point it'll be preference: take the best PG prospect or SF prospect.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    both early games blowouts in the NCAA conference championships, was watching in the background

Dalton Knecht 4-17 FG 2-9 3PM. Hubbard not afraid to shoot as usual

Got UCONN up 430 CST going to look at Castle. Been watching some UCONN to see him and I'm intrigued. Wish he shot better but could see him develop over time.

Really attracted to the program, feel like huge schools like UCONN dedicate so much to the athletic staff. Those players are getting pretty good acclimation from a sterling program especially a winning one that gives deep tourney experience or even championship mettle. Pretty useful for hyper progression when you have access to that level of resources.

Why I liked Jordan Hawkins last year. Championship experience from a top class program. Does Castle bring that level of training?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    my problem with castle is i just dont know what he is. i think you're hoping he becomes an all around player like iguodala/butler. he doesnt quite look like a lead guard, lacks the jumper to be a traditional 2, lacks ideal length to be a 3, so there's just some questions about how he exactly fits in the nba
    Was just contrasting with Collier, who is all those things minus 3 inches.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Was just contrasting with Collier, who is all those things minus 3 inches.
    tbh castle is a better passer than collier is

at least a more willing one. every time i watched collier he just has blinders on and is looking straight at the rim and nowhere else.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    both early games blowouts in the NCAA conference championships, was watching in the background

Dalton Knecht 4-17 FG 2-9 3PM. Hubbard not afraid to shoot as usual

Got UCONN up 430 CST going to look at Castle. Been watching some UCONN to see him and I'm intrigued. Wish he shot better but could see him develop over time.

Really attracted to the program, feel like huge schools like UCONN dedicate so much to the athletic staff. Those players are getting pretty good acclimation from a sterling program especially a winning one that gives deep tourney experience or even championship mettle. Pretty useful for hyper progression when you have access to that level of resources.

Why I liked Jordan Hawkins last year. Championship experience from a top class program. Does Castle bring that level of training?
    Castle is a perfect Spur already… scoreless while his teammates are scoring all the points. Spurs like players who are content with being the third option on offense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    castle somehow manages to score zero points in that half, lmao.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The more I watch these other guards, the more I want Rob Dillingham.

Thread Information