Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not actually sure Primo looks taller. I did just get off work and only saw the highlights, but I just think SL players are smaller than NBA rotation players. Also, Primo's always looked big. Even when he was fresh off measuring 6-4, he looked big. The difference is folks are watching 6-4 Branham and 6-5 Wesley rather than 6-6 Vassell and 6-6 Wieskamp. Obviously getting a bit taller would only be a boost, but I don't think he's had a position-changing spurt.

Primo hasn't played a PG, so he's going to look awkward at it. That's how development works. That's why it's always a good idea to have a vet PG for the summer league and good coaches. I don't know if Johnson is up to snuff. I'm not against the team having a ball-handling guard next to him, which is why it made sense to draft both Branham and Wesley. But I think Pop has made his preference for playing multiple ball-handlers in the starting unit apparent for at least a decade now. It's one of the reasons he always hated LDN despite Green being a literally perfect fit with Prime Tony. Pop even wanted to get a PG to play next to Parker back in the day. Primo isn't expected to be the sole facilitator of the starting lineup. That doesn't mean that the Spurs would be wrong not putting a floor-general PG next to him.

People seem to forget that the SL is just like this. Most of the guys on the team aren't NBA players. It's usually discombobulated. Even in their le summer, they didn't look good in the SLC league. I'm really annoyed how few games the team gets to play now. Part of that is ESPN commercializing the out of the Vegas League. But I'm cool with that if there are a couple more tune-up leagues that form. I'm surprised Austin doesn't have one. Or , how interesting would a Seattle league be? Hopefully if those do happen the Spurs don't miss out. It's really worrying to me that they didn't do one this year. It could be COVID concerns, but a team in their position should be giving prospects as many chances as possible show out. Sure, nowadays the first-rounders will be in SA much sooner than back in the day, but they also need to turn over stones looking for elite role-players, and it's a relatively cheap thing to do to get some scrimmage games in.

Hopefully we see more of the main guys going forward and some of the also-rans show something to get X-9 deals. Days showed a little something, and Wieskamp not diving on his tender is surprising. Unlike a second-round tender, a QO is guaranteed money, and I can't see him doing better than that.
    Just joining in hee to agree with you that it’s disappointing to only have 5 games of summer league and I expect they will rest guys for one of those like they did last year, to see the prospects they are scouting for Austin and the more margin guys. Those guys usually got good run in the other smaller leagues. An interesting development is them passing up on those, and I do wonder if it’s a cost cutting move or what….

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did anyone notice in that stepback-three, floater, three sequence for Primo near the end, that the floater was left handed? That was pretty sweet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am convinced after this game that the Spurs are a soccer team, based on my Googling....
    it's funny because in the era of the big three, if you googled Spurs, all that came up was the basketball version. Now that has increasingly flipped the other way as we started sucking and they've had some success.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it's funny because in the era of the big three, if you googled Spurs, all that came up was the basketball version. Now that has increasingly flipped the other way as we started sucking and they've had some success.
    Not sure what success you are talking about regarding the Tottenham Hotspur. They have won nothing for the longest time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure what success you are talking about regarding the Tottenham Hotspur. They have won nothing for the longest time.
    Yet still, if you look up "Spurs" on Twitter, it's like 80% Tottenham news.

USE YOUR FULL NAME, WANKERS!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Crazy how we're making sweeping proclamations about the career trajectories of 19-year olds based off one exhibition game
    Standard Spurs talk

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Despite Primo not looking like a traditional PG out there he displayed some really good vision. He found an open man almost every time, the kid will be a really good passer with time. He’s by far the best passer on the SL roster. The double teams the Cavs threw at him threw him off at times though. I think he will be better off at the 2 or 3 and making plays from there. But you can tell PATFO are adamant on developing him as a playmaker.

Once Branham got his feet underneath him he looked good. His defense was also better than I expected.

Loved Blakes aggressiveness, he’s not shy at all and we need a player like that. His shot also looked much better than I expected. His shots already light years better and more fluid than Dejountes was when he was at summer league.

Barlow has potential. He didn’t get many opportunities but when he did he capitalized and his shot looks good.

Days looked decent out there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know but they were pretty good though for a couple years in a row and that's been enough to displace SA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Despite Primo not looking like a traditional PG out there he displayed some really good vision. He found an open man almost every time, the kid will be a really good passer with time. He’s by far the best passer on the SL roster. The double teams the Cavs threw at him threw him off at times though. I think he will be better off at the 2 or 3 and making plays from there. But you can tell PATFO are adamant on developing him as a playmaker.

Once Branham got his feet underneath him he looked good. His defense was also better than I expected.

Loved Blakes aggressiveness, he’s not shy at all and we need a player like that. His shot also looked much better than I expected. His shots already light years better and more fluid than Dejountes was when he was at summer league.

Barlow has potential. He didn’t get many opportunities but when he did he capitalized and his shot looks good.

Days looked decent out there.
    He found a TO almost with the same frequency. Sheesh another one roped in by Pop's desire to force square peg into round hole. I'm in an episode of the twilight zone here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How many TOs did he have? 3. With 5 assists. in 30 Min. Very similar line as last year despite a whole off-season to work as a PG with the team's blessings.

And he went 5 of 7 from 3. Which he didn't do well last year after the fist 1/3 of the year.

Dude has wing written all over him.
    The offseason is over? Amazing

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He found a TO almost with the same frequency. Sheesh another one roped in by Pop's desire to force square peg into round hole. I'm in an episode of the twilight zone here.
    Bruh Spurs win in motion offense, especially without a dominant player to score at will. To have as many facilitator is better for the Spurs. I have nothing against developing players with their passing games.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stewart was good created needed rim pressure and moved the ball. Days can't stay in front of his man. Woodard still can't shoot. Hall can defend a little with his size but did not really standout. Stewart right now is the front runner for that two way.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I might be the only one right now who's not overly impressed with Primo. He looks like a skilled guard with scoring ability but he still doesn't look like a lottery pick to me. I just don't see that high of upside with him. His playmaking/size/athleticism/shooting/scoring ability/defense are all solid but I don't see any of those skills ever transitioning to elite. Could be very wrong, just giving my eye test. If anything maybe he'll make a career of just being able to score the ball at a fairly high level. His shot does look really solid.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I might be the only one right now who's not overly impressed with Primo. He looks like a skilled guard with scoring ability but he still doesn't look like a lottery pick to me. I just don't see that high of upside with him. His playmaking/size/athleticism/shooting/scoring ability/defense are all solid but I don't see any of those skills ever transitioning to elite. Could be very wrong, just giving my eye test. If anything maybe he'll make a career of just being able to score the ball at a fairly high level. His shot does look really solid.
    right now he looks like a bench player on a tanking team tbh. He shouldn't start

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Please go look at the history of the #12 pick and tell me with a straight face this kid hasn’t displayed a skill set suggesting he’ll surpass most of them….he’s 19 ( our three rookies age ). Primo just needs time , he is using these games to work on weakness’s not shine like Wesley etc…. He’s been in the system for a year & understands what’s going to keep him on the court. When he wants to score he can in a mul ude of ways ( all three levels ).

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We’re just going to gloss over 5-7 three point shooting and ball handling displayed? A bench player on a championship team? Yes but not on a tanking / growing one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Literally noone has argued for Primo to be the PG, but people keep going back to it because Primo is trending up and their takes are looking worse and worse on a kid whose prime is a decade away. Wouldn't waste too much time on the goal post shifters. They just don't know how to admit they were wrong. Grasping at straws.

Primo looks like a good prospect. Kid shot 70 percent from 3, creating on his own half the time and people are desperate to say he can't pass or lead after a night of doubles on him.
    Kawhi couldn't beat a double team 5 years into his career with legit NBA options. Primo surrounded by maybe 2 NBA players.

Primo will be alright.
    Agree wholeheartedly. It's funny to see the goal already being moved, his sop re season not having officially started yet... And you forgot to mention: this SpursTalk hatewagon is the same people who spent YEARS on the "Dejounte isn't a PG!! He can't even dribble, nor shoot!!" train, whilst DJ developed all the way from a clunky, lanky and awkward kid, into a literal All-Star level player. Like, we've played out this EXACT movie the past 4-5 years... And people STILL haven't learned from it.

I'm not saying Primo is a surefire PG (I don't even know if I'd want him there; I haven't seen the apparently ground-breaking concept of "point-forward" mentioned once in this thread, and that's exactly where I'm seeing Primo shine in the future). But the discrediting arguments at this point in time are ridiculous, especially given the very visible improvements on his game & physique from last year. He popped out of the frame in the 4th, when he cared to do so (and his coach told him to "gimme more of that").

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am convinced after this game that the Spurs are a soccer team, based on my Googling....
    They actually have some nice Spurs Nike gear…

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree wholeheartedly. It's funny to see the goal already being moved, his sop re season not having officially started yet... And you forgot to mention: this SpursTalk hatewagon is the same people who spent YEARS on the "Dejounte isn't a PG!! He can't even dribble, nor shoot!!" train, whilst DJ developed all the way from a clunky, lanky and awkward kid, into a literal All-Star level player. Like, we've played out this EXACT movie the past 4-5 years... And people STILL haven't learned from it.

I'm not saying Primo is a surefire PG (I don't even know if I'd want him there; I haven't seen the apparently ground-breaking concept of "point-forward" mentioned once in this thread, and that's exactly where I'm seeing Primo shine in the future). But the discrediting arguments at this point in time are ridiculous, especially given the very visible improvements on his game & physique from last year. He popped out of the frame in the 4th, when he cared to do so (and his coach told him to "gimme more of that").
    Exactly. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with Primo becoming the point forward. If he’s a starter and he gets his ball handling touches, what’s the problem? Why pidgeonhole him as a PG? Are people that desperate to compare him to DJ that the only way to do it is view him as a PG too? Are people so obsessed with height that because he’s listed as 6’4”, they don’t want him as anything but PG?

IMO, the reason he’s not a full time PG isn’t because of passing skills or anything like that. He is not quick enough to push the pace. The Spurs scheme is to always push the pace. You will notice that Wesley was fast as to bring the ball up full court. Primo suffers from the same thing White did in that he doesn’t run like with the ball like Murray did. I said it over and over when White took command as PG (and his role there dwindled over time because of this) that bringing the ball up slowly affects the entire team and it brings complacency.

btw i didnt get to respond to your previous post to me. Do you have a computer yet?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did anyone notice in that stepback-three, floater, three sequence for Primo near the end, that the floater was left handed? That was pretty sweet.
    That step back was ridiculous. Plays like that show why PATFO is so high on the kid. He needs to be aggressive like that more consistently.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Dejounte is the case study that we can't judge any young player. In fact, even DeRozan improved his game while being a Spur.

That said, it's always best to build skill on top of an good base of talent. Spurs drafting late meant they had a lot less to work with.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know but they were pretty good though for a couple years in a row and that's been enough to displace SA.
    They've also been very active in the current transfer window—5 first team signings so far—after a late season run got them into the final spot to qualify for the UEFA Champions League next season. They have a hot coach, a new stadium, and money to buy players. So there's a lot of buzz right now.

I've been cheering for them for 20 years, because having no reason to pick any other EPL team, I naturally picked the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That step back was ridiculous. Plays like that show why PATFO is so high on the kid. He needs to be aggressive like that more consistently.
    I guess in the 4th that you see Primo took the game over with 11 points with his Coaching coaxing him, “give me some more of that.” His handles are getting tight when attacking, wayyy advanced than DJ did, and at 19! But I think with Wesley better at pushing the tempo, I can see Primo as a SF/Combo like Demar as mentioned in another post. And while I see Wesley staying at Austin, I see him playing with the big team every chance like Primo did last year. And while it was only the 1st SL game, I think the Spurs might have found their future PG in Wesley.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was pretty obvious to me that the game plan was for Primo to go in and defer and get others involved. His court vision remains the best on the Spurs and its not even close. Against a lot of non NBA talent that's even more apparent. At the end when Primo wanted to score, he did. That's an excellent sign. But at no point in the early stages of this game was dude trying to go at defenses the way Wesley was. Its Summer league, if you try to watch these games like they are NBA games you're gonna have stupid ing takes but then again more than half the people on this site just can't help themselves and will post that is wrong no matter how many times they've been wrong before.

The fact that Primo's handles have improved is great. The fact that Primo sees the court better than anyone else on the team is the most important facet to him being a point guard. Not ever PG needs to blow by people in 1v1 situations and I'm not sure why this the standard so many people in here have decided to use.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wesley is fast but he’s definitely gonna have to tighten up those handles. Like some have mentioned before, knowing when and how to use them jets will really take him to the next level. The kid shows promise proving once again the spurs are good at this drafting thing!

Thread Information