Page 16 of 41 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    crud . chet is already having a good game tonight, 17pt 6 rebs 7 blocks with 8mins to go in the 4th. will tie wemby on total blocks already.
    But Wemby is about to miss his 2nd game. I don't think Chet has missed a game so far.

SA fan since 03 playoffs spursparker9's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Chet with 15 blks in past 2 games. Catching up to Wemby now

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As usual, people are too caught up in the racial bias aspect to focus on providing a reason to the contrary.

I don't want to hear about Holmgren's catch all advanced metrics or the Thunder's record. No one is arguing his bona fides, just that those have never been the criteria for this award, but suddenly they are now . . . what changed?
    There’s only one poster caught up in the racial bias aspect, and it’s you.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There’s only one poster caught up in the racial bias aspect, and it’s you.
    Could it be because most of you are white and probably conservative as well?

Once again, no reason to the contrary. Why has the criteria all of a sudden changed if it's supposedly not for the two reasons I mentioned?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Once again, no reason to the contrary. Why has the criteria all of a sudden changed if it's supposedly not for the two reasons I mentioned?
    The criteria haven’t changed, just ST blather.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The criteria haven’t changed, just ST blather.
    Wrong. Just like season Banchero beat out Williams with worse catch all advanced metrics and a worse record because he had the far more difficult job as the first option on a bad team and had superior counting stats.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s funny how the media is ranking Chet above wemby now after ranking wemby above Chet earlier in the year, when Chet got worse (mostly efficiency) as the year progressed and wemby got better.
    I think a lot of these media guys just regurgitate what they hear, so their “opinions” lag events by a few weeks.

Member of Wembyland CorrectCrusader's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As usual, people are too caught up in the racial bias aspect to focus on providing a reason to the contrary.

I don't want to hear about Holmgren's catch all advanced metrics or the Thunder's record. No one is arguing his bona fides, just that those have never been the criteria for this award, but suddenly they are now . . . what changed?
    These awards are purely narrative based. Chet is the darling right now because he is being a great player on a great team. Vs Wemby being the best player on one of the worst teams of all time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    These awards are purely narrative based. Chet is the darling right now because he is being a great player on a great team. Vs Wemby being the best player on one of the worst teams of all time.
    There’s also a horse race narrative because the players are so similar and are viewed as the future faces of the league with a natural rivalry.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Victor is tied with Lopez with 3blks a game, Chet is at 2,8.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I'd guess that advanced metrics are becoming more of a factor with each passing year. To be fair, if advanced defensive metrics were more popular in the last 25 years, Duncan probably would've won multiple DPOY awards, but instead lost to guys who usually averaged more BPG, even when Timmy had a better block-to-foul ratio (a much better stat than just # of blocks), and a better DRtg, Defensive Win shares, etc.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd guess that advanced metrics are becoming more of a factor with each passing year. To be fair, if advanced defensive metrics were more popular in the last 25 years, Duncan probably would've won multiple DPOY awards, but instead lost to guys who usually averaged more BPG, even when Timmy had a better block-to-foul ratio (a much better stat than just # of blocks), and a better DRtg, Defensive Win shares, etc.
    Duncan would have won multiple DPoYs, Manu would have made more all-stars and won FMVP in '05.

Believe.
    Post Count
    I hope the roty voting goes back and forth every single week and that brings out the best of both Chet and Wemby. That really worked back in the good ole days of Magic and Bird! Created a rivalry for the ages!

Actually the similarities between 1979 and 2023 are pretty stark. Bird was drafted the year before but delayed a year to play as a rookie in Magic’s rookie year.

Interestingly and thus perhaps prophetically the older more developed player Bird won the rookie of the year that year. Although Magic did manage a championship.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow, an actual alternate reason instead of seeing red when someone brings up racial bias.

I disagree, since my example from just last season says otherwise, but it's at least a reasonable take.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

And Brook Lopez had 6 tonight. Wemby needs at least that many Thursday to keep pace.

Member of Wembyland CorrectCrusader's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.nba.com/news/kia-rookie-...0-2023-edition

Wemby continues to lead the rookie rankings. For all this talk about narrative and chet, Victor seems to still be at the top.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Are you alluding to “Great White Hope” syndrome? Pretty common in sports media. I don’t know if it’s in play here - maybe with a few weirdos on the internet.

I don’t see Chet and Wemby as rivals no matter how hard ESPN tries. That OKC team belongs to Shai and only goes as far as he carries them. Is Chet even garnering any defensive attention?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.nba.com/news/kia-rookie-...0-2023-edition

Wemby continues to lead the rookie rankings. For all this talk about narrative and chet, Victor seems to still be at the top.
    I know, but that's 1) Obviously affiliated with the league, who has much more invested in Wembanyama given that they hyped him more than any prospect since James and 2) Not aligned with most of the discourse.
    This is why media continues to brainwash masses and I'm not just speaking to the NBA, but in general. It never ceases to amaze how many are dense/blind/gullible.

Are you alluding to “Great White Hope” syndrome? Pretty common in sports media. I don’t know if it’s in play here - maybe with a few weirdos on the internet.

I don’t see Chet and Wemby as rivals no matter how hard ESPN tries. That OKC team belongs to Shai and only goes as far as he carries them. Is Chet even garnering any defensive attention?
    Nah, I'm alluding to what I said: A toxic tail of racial bias (not to be confused with racism) and Spurs hatred.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Zero Stock tho

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s funny how the media is ranking Chet above wemby now after ranking wemby above Chet earlier in the year, when Chet got worse (mostly efficiency) as the year progressed and wemby got better.
    They need a story to pursue. Grant Hill and Jason Kidd, Chris Webber and Penny Hardaway. The race baiting is embarrassing.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chet and OKC killing West no 1 seed Timberwolves

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count