Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Any Russian coercive moves against the Baltic republics would create an ugly choice for Washington between a bad outcome and worse one. The bad outcome would be to back down in the face of a Crimea-style action against a NATO member. That would be a humiliation for the United States and raise serious doubts about Washington’s other security commitments. A worse outcome, though, would be to try to fulfill the article 5 pledge and risk a catastrophic war against a nuclear-armed adversary over meager geopolitical stakes.

It was appallingly bad judgment for U.S. policymakers to put their country in such a position. Military allies are supposed to augment American power and improve the security position of the United States. The goal should not be to collect allies simply for the sake of collecting allies, regardless of the costs and risks involved. Acquiring an assortment of weak, vulnerable security clients masquerading as useful allies is the height of folly. They are dangerous strategic liabilities, not assets. Yet that is what Washington has done by pushing NATO’s expansion into Russia’s traditional sphere of influence.
    http://nationalinterest.org/commenta...t-10103?page=1

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How Cold War-Hungry Neocons Stage Managed RT Anchor Liz Wahl’s Resignation

For her public act of protest against Russia Today’s coverage of the Russian invasion of Ukrainian territory and supposedly advancing the agenda of Vladimir Putin in Washington, D.C., previously unknown news anchor Liz Wahl has suddenly become one of the most famous unemployed people in America. After her on-air resignation from the cable news channel, Wahl appeared on the three major American cable news outlets—CNN, Fox News, MSNBC—to denounce the heavy-handed editorial line she claims her bosses imposed on her and other staffers.

“What’s clear is what’s happening right now amid this crisis is that RT is not about the truth,” she told CNN’s Anderson Cooper. “It’s about promoting a Putinist agenda. And I can tell you firsthand, it’s also about bashing America.”

Wahl’s act of defiance eventually earned her invitations from “The View” and “The Colbert Report,” offering her the opportunity to introduce millions of Americans to a Russian government-funded network whose Nielsen ratings have been too low to measure, but which commands a massive following on YouTube. Wahl was the toast of Washington, winning plaudits from a variety of prime-time pundits, from MSNBC’s Chris Hayes (“remarkably badass”) to the conservative Amanda Carpenter (“Liz Wahl is proud to be an American and in the last five minutes I think she made everyone else proud to be one, too.”)

The celebration of Wahl fed directly into a BuzzFeed expose on “How The Truth Is Made at Russia Today,” with writer Rosie Gray painting a portrait of an “atmosphere of censorship and pressure” on American staffers toiling in RT’s D.C. offices. RT had long been the subject of criticism and ridicule for its promotion of Zeitgeist-style trutherism and libertarian paranoia, but Wahl now placed RT under unprecedented scrutiny, with mainstream U.S. media sounding the alarm about a bulwark of soft Russian power situated just blocks from the White House.

Behind the coverage of Wahl’s dramatic protest, a cadre of neoconservatives was celebrating a public relations coup. Desperate to revive the Cold War, head off further cuts to the defense budget and restore the legitimacy they lost in the ruins of Iraq, the tightknit group of neoconservative writers and stewards had opened up a new PR front through Wahl’s resignation.

And they succeeded with no shortage of help from an ossified media establishment struggling to maintain credibility in an increasingly anarchic online news environment. With isolated skeptics branded as useful idiots for Putin, the scene has been kept clean of neoconservative fingerprints, obscuring their interest in Wahl’s resignation and the broader push to deepen tensions with Russia.
    Through interviews with six current RT employees—all Americans with no particular affection for Russian President Vladimir Putin or his policies—and an investigation into the political forces managing the spectacle, a story has emerged that stands in stark contrast to the one advanced by Wahl, her supporters and the mainstream American press.

It is the story, according to former colleagues, of an apolitical, deeply disgruntled employee seeking an exit strategy from a job where, sources say, she was disciplined for unprofessional behavior and had been demoted. Wahl did not return several voice and text messages sent to her cellphone.

At the center of the intrigue is a young neoconservative writer and activist who helped craft Wahl’s strategy and exploit her resignation to propel the agenda of a powerful pro-war lobby in Washington.

The story began at 5:07 p.m. Eastern time on March 5.

PR From PNAC 2.0

It was a full 19 minutes before Wahl resigned. Inside the offices of the Foreign Policy Initiative, a neoconservative think tank in Washington D.C., a staffer logged on to the group’s Twitter account to announce the following:

“#WordOnTheStreet says that something big might happen on RT in about 20-25 minutes.”

Then, at 5:16, exactly 10 minutes before Wahl would quit on air, FPI tweeted:

“#WordOnTheStreet says you’re really going to want to tune in to RT: http://rt.com/on-air/rt-america-air/

#SomethinBigMayBeGoingDown”

Up until two minutes before Wahl’s resignation, FPI took to Twitter again to urge its followers to tune in to RT.

And finally, at 5:26 p.m., at the very moment Wahl quit, FPI’s Twitter account broke the news:

“RT Anchor RESIGNS ON AIR. She ‘cannot be part of a network that whitewashes the actions of Putin.’ ”

The tweets from FPI suggested a direct level of coordination between Wahl and the neoconservative think tank. Several calls to FPI for this story were not answered.

Just over an hour later, an exclusive interview with Wahl appeared at The Daily Beast. It was authored by James Kirchick, a 31-year-old writer whose work has appeared in publications from the neoconservative Commentary to the liberal Israeli paper Haaretz.

Kirchick acknowledged having been in contact with Wahl since August, but cast himself as a passive bystander to the spectacle, claiming that they merely “stayed in touch periodically over the past 6 months, and I always encouraged her to follow her conscience in making a decision about her professional future.”

Kirchick wrote that by quitting, Wahl paid “the price real reporters—not Russian-government funded propagandists—have to pay if they are concerned with quaint notions like objectivity and the truth.”

Later that evening, Kirchick tweeted a photo of himself with Wahl, calling it a “Freedom selfie.” The two had apparently gathered to celebrate.

On March 7, Kirchick and a camera person stationed themselves outside the office building on D.C.’s G Street housing RT America’s headquarters. On a self-proclaimed mission “to find out more about RT,” he badgered dozens of random passers-by with questions like the following: “What is a more appropriate punishment for the women of Pussy Riot: two years in a Siberian labor camp or public whipping by Cossacks?”

Kirchick says RT staffers called the D.C. police department to remove him from the premises. However, several RT staffers told us that a security guard notified the police because Kirchick had mistaken employees at two adjacent law firms for employees of RT—“the wannabe thugs at 1325 G St,” he called them—and began harassing them. (An update inserted at the bottom of The Daily Beast summary of the incident noted that it was building security and not RT staffers who called the D.C. police.)

So who was Kirchick, and what sort of commitment did he maintain to “objectivity and the truth?”

http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/...ation_20140319

Last edited by boutons_deux; 03-24-2014 at 12:25 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pierce love letter to Kristol:

Blow me, you monstrous, bloodthirsty fraud, you silly, stupid chickenhawk motherfker who plays army man with the children of people who are so much better than you are, and who would feed innocent civilians in lands you will never visit into your own personal meatgrinder to service your semi-annual martial erection.
    You and the rest of your cowardly cohort helped prepare the ground for the worst geopolitical mistake the country has made in 30 years. You fought the battle of the Green Rooms and the think tanks while other people's sons and daughters died for your fantasy of how the world would work if you really were the pimply, adolescent Zeus you see when you look in the mirror every morning.

The country does not need your lectures any more. The country does not need your counsel. The country does not need your advice. And, as sure as human beings have become dead because of your lectures, and counsel, and advice, human beings about whom you otherwise care nothing, the country does not need your hectoring that it has become insufficiently bellicose to fulfill your newest, blood-drenched fantasies.

Even here, even now, you hide behind the skirts of a woman from Indiana who, while I believe her to be wrong, seems to be genuine in her beliefs. You are unworthy of her intellectual camouflage. You should be driven from polite society, consigned to an ideological Molokai so you can no longer infect the rest of us.

People should shun you. You should wear the bell for the rest of your miserable days.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/0...y?detail=email

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pierce love letter to Kristol:

Blow me, you monstrous, bloodthirsty fraud, you silly, stupid chickenhawk motherfker who plays army man with the children of people who are so much better than you are, and who would feed innocent civilians in lands you will never visit into your own personal meatgrinder to service your semi-annual martial erection.
    You and the rest of your cowardly cohort helped prepare the ground for the worst geopolitical mistake the country has made in 30 years. You fought the battle of the Green Rooms and the think tanks while other people's sons and daughters died for your fantasy of how the world would work if you really were the pimply, adolescent Zeus you see when you look in the mirror every morning.

The country does not need your lectures any more. The country does not need your counsel. The country does not need your advice. And, as sure as human beings have become dead because of your lectures, and counsel, and advice, human beings about whom you otherwise care nothing, the country does not need your hectoring that it has become insufficiently bellicose to fulfill your newest, blood-drenched fantasies.

Even here, even now, you hide behind the skirts of a woman from Indiana who, while I believe her to be wrong, seems to be genuine in her beliefs. You are unworthy of her intellectual camouflage. You should be driven from polite society, consigned to an ideological Molokai so you can no longer infect the rest of us.

People should shun you. You should wear the bell for the rest of your miserable days.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/0...y?detail=email

Luckily for Kristol he used his words carefully.

I presume they will not be having tea together this afternoon.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In Crimea, Russia Moved to Throw Off the Cloak of Defeat

But is it possible that the Sevastopol base is just the most concrete manifestation of Russia’s deep interests in Ukraine that the United States and its NATO allies either ignored or forgot as they tried to bind it more tightly with the West?

For years, Mr. Putin has complained about the West moving unilaterally to reorder the Continental balance of power — promoting Western capitalism and democracy — with little indication anyone was heeding his concerns. Its courting of Ukraine, apparently, was a step too far, prompting Mr. Putin to risk sanctions and the worst conflict since the Cold War to make clear that Washington and its friends do not call all of the shots anymore.

The annexation here, and the Russian troops still massed on the border of eastern Ukraine, seem a clear and sharp message from Mr. Putin that the future of Ukraine and the broader region, especially Moldova and Georgia, which are also being courted by Europe, will not be decided by the West alone.

“For 23 years after 1991, Russia has been treated consciously or subconsciously as defeated in the Cold War,” said Dmitry Kosyrev, a writer and political commentator with the RIA Novosti news agency in Moscow. “Russia has not accepted this mentality. We have something to say. We have not only interest, but experience. We are not a defeated country in the Cold War;

“Not talking to us, not accepting our point of view, that’s exactly what brought Europe and the United States to the crisis in Ukraine.”

Mr. Putin’s actions were logical, even if not compatible with Western interests, in seeking to destabilize Ukraine rather than allowing it to fall into Europe’s sphere of influence.

“There is a very straight line rational strategy at work here,”

“In some ways the E.U. has taken maximalist positions with the Russians and acted as if they were surprised that Russia took offense or got angry,”

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/03/25...?from=homepage

So the Repugs whining "I told you so that Putin was a danger" are, as always, full of bull lies. The West provoked Russia by removing his puppet in Ukraine.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A Russian billionaire said on Monday he planned to relocate his company that runs the Brooklyn Nets basketball team to Russia, in keeping with the Kremlin's call on Russian businessmen to repatriate their assets to help combat new U.S. sanctions.

The United States and European Union have imposed visa bans and asset freezes on officials and businessmen believed to be close to Russian President Vladimir Putin in protest at Moscow's annexation of Ukraine's Crimea region.
    Mikhail Prokhorov, owner of the Brooklyn Nets, had said previously that he planned to relocate the company that runs the NBA team to Russia, but his comments to reporters in the Kremlin underlined his support for Putin.

"A Russian company will own the basketball club," Prokhorov said before receiving a medal for services to Russia along with other national sports officials.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...A2N11Z20140324

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stratfor foresees the return of a containment-style strategy: http://www.realclearworld.com/articl...ukraine-2.html

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stratfor foresees the return of a containment-style strategy: http://www.realclearworld.com/articl...ukraine-2.html
    the US/EU encroachment strategy, up against Russia's borders, is what forced Putin to react.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the US/EU encroachment strategy, up against Russia's borders, is what forced Putin to react.
    Yes. They encroached right in enough to make Russia a part of the G8.
    Encroached enough to make Russia and Germany huge trading partners before this mess... Indeed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you're both full of it. The bombing of Yugoslavia wasn't containment and NATO expansion into the Baltics plus the color-coded revolutions amounted to encirclement/encroachment into the Russian sphere of influence.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    encirclement/encroachment into the Russian sphere of influence.
    ... is what I said.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you're both full of it. The bombing of Yugoslavia wasn't containment and NATO expansion into the Baltics plus the color-coded revolutions amounted to encirclement/encroachment into the Russian sphere of influence.
    I did not even read your post Winehole. I was referring to Boutons made Putin react.

So there is nothing to be full of...
    Last edited by pgardn; 03-26-2014 at 09:50 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ... is what I said.
    you said it was the strategy of containment. read Kennan -- you're wrong.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what we've been doing post 1989 isn't containment. NATO has been expanding. it's no longer a defensive alliance.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you said it was the strategy of containment. read Kennan -- you're wrong.
    I said US/NATO/EU expansion eastward was encroachment into ex-USSR countries, into Russia's (defensive) sphere of influence.

US missile defense complex in Poland

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US_miss...plex_in_Poland

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you also suggested in your riposte to me that the strategy of containment is more of the same. it isn't.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    war criminal, BigOil stooge, and geopolitical murderer, the incompetent Rummy piles on, Obama as worse than an ape:

Donald Rumsfeld: 'A Trained Ape' Would Be Better At Foreign Policy Than Obama

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/25/donald-rumsfeld-trained-ape_n_5027750.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

from the article's comments:

Rumsfeld was behind the deal to train, supply and finance al Qaeda and what evolved into the Taliban so they could fight a proxy war for the US with Russia, the same al Qaeda that launched an attack on America on 9/11, is that clever foreign policy?

He was also the architect behind the invasion of Iraq and the filter that stopped the true status of the alleged WMD status with concern to Iraq coming out before the US went to war on fabricated intelligence costing the economy trillions, thousands of American lives, hundreds of thousands of Iraqi lives and diverting the mission away from Afghanistan. Therefore creating 2 of the longest wars in US history, is that also intelligent foreign policy? seeing that the US didn’t even get the oil which was the real reason for that war and all the US got was the bill, while war profiteer contractors looted the treasury and then were paid on the national credit card.

Rumsfeld was one of the architects of the Bush doctrine that sealed the fate of legitimizing Putin’s actions in both Georgia and the Crimea by eliminating any moral authority the US once had. He was also the prime motivator in Putin harboring resentment and malice towards the US by supplying weapons to the Taliban along with al Qaeda that were used to kill thousands of Russians in Afghanistan a nation that directly borders onto Russia. He created an animosity there and then that drives the anti US sentiment across Russia and the sheer disregard towards the US held by Putin, was that clever foreign policy?

The decider in chief was the dullest witted person to ever hold the office of the president of the US and him castigating long term allies because they wouldn’t go blindly into a dumb war for greed caused our allies to lose all respect for the US and the office of president, the US popularity plummeted worldwide during the Bush nightmare and the world was so happy when it ended that all the current president had to do was not be a Republican to win the Nobel Peace Prize, while the current president has kept us out of several ground wars that were being pushed for by Republicans, would the total collapse of the US economy by fighting never ending wars be classed as intelligent foreign policy?

He was also behind the outing of Valerie Plame as a field CIA agent and had her entire field operatives compromised, while foreign nationals were rounded up never to be seen again, people who were working for US interests, just so he could discredit her husband because he went to Niger and found out that Iraq wasn’t trying to secure yellowcake to weaponize. Is that how a patriotic American exercises foreign power?

Rumsfeld is the embodiment of the worst of the US when it comes to foreign affairs, a clear and present danger to world peace.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meet the Americans Who Put Together the Coup in Kiev

Harder for some people to grasp, Ambassador Pyatt and his team did not create the foreign policy, which was – and is – only minimally about overthrowing Ukraine's duly elected government to "promote democracy." Ever since Bill Clinton sat in the Oval Office, Washington and its European allies have worked openly and covertly to extend NATO to the Russian border and Black Sea Fleet, provoking a badly wounded Russian bear.

They have also worked to bring Ukraine and its Eastern European neighbors into the neoliberal economy of the West, isolating the Russians rather than trying to bring them into the fold. Except for sporadic resets, anti-Russian has become the new anti-Soviet, and "strategic containment" has been the wonky word for encircling Russia with our military and economic power.

Western provocations in Ukraine proved more immediately counterproductive. They gave Vladimir Putin the perfect opportunity for a pro-Russian putsch in Crimea, which he had certainly thought of before, but never as a priority. The provocations encouraged him to stand up as a true Russian nationalist, which will only make him more difficult to deal with. And they gave him cover to get away with that age-old tool of tyrants, a quickie plebiscite with an unnecessary return to Joseph Stalin's old dictum once popular in my homestate of Florida: "It's not the votes that count, but who counts the votes."

Revolution on Demand

Arriving in the Ukrainian capital on August 3, Pyatt almost immediately authorized a grant for an online television outlet called Hromadske.TV, which would prove essential to building the Euromaidan street demonstrations against Yanukovych. The grant was only $43,737, with an additional $4,796 by November 13. Just enough to buy the modest equipment the project needed.

Many of Hromadske's journalists had worked in the past with American benefactors. Editor-in-chief Roman Skrypin was a frequent contributor to Washington's Radio Free Europe / Radio Libertyand the US-funded Ukrayinska Pravda. In 2004, he had helped create Channel 5 television, which played a major role in the Orange Revolution that the US and its European allies masterminded in 2004.

Skrypin had already gotten $10,560 from George Soros's International Renaissance Foundation (IRF), which came as a recommendation to Pyatt. Sometime between December and the following April, IRF would give Hromadske another $19,183.

Hromadske's biggest funding in that period came from the Embassy of the Netherlands, which gave a generous $95,168. As a departing US envoy to the Hague said in a secret cable that Wikileaks later made public, "Dutch pragmatism and our similar world-views make the Netherlands fertile ground for initiatives others in Europe might be reluctant, at least initially, to embrace."

For Pyatt, the payoff came on November 21, when President Yanukovych pulled back from an Association Agreement with the European Union. Within hours Hromadske.TV went online and one of its journalists set the spark that brought Yanukovych down.

http://readersupportednews.org/opini...e-coup-in-kiev

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    For Pyatt, the payoff came on November 21, when President Yanukovych pulled back from an Association Agreement with the European Union. Within hours Hromadske.TV went online and one of its journalists set the spark that brought Yanukovych down.

http://readersupportednews.org/opini...e-coup-in-kiev
    My God.

Why do you post these lies?

The president didn't pull back. He was an advocate of joining the EU. The EU did. They required the Ukraine to release two political prisoners. The parliament wouldn't. Six attempted votes resulted in failure, so the EU suspended negotiations. Because of this, the president accepted the help Russia offered.

My god you fool. Stop repeating lies from your favored stupid sources.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thousands of people have staged fresh protests in Ukraine's capital, Kiev, at President Viktor Yanukovych's refusal to sign an EU association agreement.

etc,etc,etc.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-25162563

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Like I said before. Propaganda wars are effective. However, if you actually research the facts, he didn't refuse to sign any agreement with the EU. The EU walked away from the talks because the parliament wouldn't vote to release the two political prisoners. Now later, they did release one or both, but this was after the EU walked away from the table. placing the president in the position of taking the Russians offer.

Please boutons. For once in your life, search various sources.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what we've been doing post 1989 isn't containment. NATO has been expanding. it's no longer a defensive alliance.
    The articles for mutual protection still exist. If Poland gets invaded we will go to war.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like I said before. Propaganda wars are effective. However, if you actually research the facts, he didn't refuse to sign any agreement with the EU. The EU walked away from the talks because the parliament wouldn't vote to release the two political prisoners. Now later, they did release one or both, but this was after the EU walked away from the table. placing the president in the position of taking the Russians offer.

Please boutons. For once in your life, search various sources.
    You are one dumb mother er incapable of grasping nuance. Here is one particular nuance stupidity seemed to have lost: he rejected the EU's proposal which included release of the opposition party.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I.M.F. Prepares $18 Billion in Loans for Ukraine

After three weeks of urgent negotiations with the interim government of Ukraine and in an atmosphere of great power compe ion, the International Monetary Fund announced on Thursday an agreement to provide up to $18 billion in loans over two years to prevent the country’s default.

The agreement, announced in Kiev, the Ukrainian capital, will hinge on the country taking steps to let the value of its currency float downward, to cut corruption and red tape, and, crucially, to reduce huge state subsidies for the consumption of natural gas. The energy subsidies alone represent roughly 8 percent of Ukraine’s gross domestic product, and Russia has said that it intends to raise on April 1 the price of natural gas to Ukraine, which is largely dependent on Russian supplies and which already owes the Russian energy company Gazprom well over $1 billion.

The deal, which is subject to the approval of the fund’s board next month, is intended to get the new government over a big hurdle of coming debt obligations when its hard-currency accounts have been sharply diminished by months of unrest that led to the overthrow of former President Viktor F. Yanukovych.

The two-year loan package, the I.M.F. said in a statement, is expected to unlock more loans, including from the United States and the European Union, that should bring the total over two years to $27 billion. The loans will be more spread out and less onerous than the $15 billion Russia had promised Mr. Yanukovych before he fled the country.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/03/28...?from=homepage

$100Ms if not $Bs of this will be stolen.

Thread Information