Page 17 of 69 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767 ... LastLast
    what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    it's like you didn't even read the actual post and just saw the list of picks/swaps

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh, that’s not remotely true. Not everyone has, but some posters (Kevin is one) want to throw our pick this year, all of the ATL picks and swap, the TOR pick , the CHI PICK, and the CHA PICK.

I am not gaga for him,but I’ve actually proposed some sensible trades like returning the CHA and 27 ATL picks, and adding the CHI pick, and was met with the above.
    I'm probably one of the posters you're thinking about

And I don't think the ATL sendback (25, 26 swap, 27) plus the CHA (highly unlikely to be a first) and even the CHI pick on top would be an unfair deal.

The CHI pick is top 10, top 8, and top 8 protected and then becomes a 28 second. So at best it's a #9 pick. Pretty good, if the Bulls don't tank their way out of it either intentionally or via incompetence. And they are close to being bad enough naturally with a current executive structure that doesn't know what they're doing. And if they're fired, the new regime would be incentivized to tank even more.

And I wouldn't include Keldon unless getting back something else like Hunter. Hunter is hurt all the time and overpaid but closer to an SF archetype.

So if someone thinks Young is trash or bad, then no price is worth it due to his salary. Not even 1 pick.

But if someone thinks he is legit and can pair with Wemby well, then it's fair to look at the value of the picks when low on top of high.

Even if the Spurs 'overpay' they still have some caproom and other firsts like their own and other swaps plus tons of seconds, and seconds are the current currency for getting bench role players in trades.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs could also trade down in the 24 draft and exchange picks with the Hawks, who also own the 24 Kings pick. Given how even the playing field is, if you swap the Spurs top 4 pick with like the Hawks 11th pick you can still get a serviceable player like Knecht

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People are dreaming of Luka or Giannis both of which are pipe dreams.

Wemby will be a MVP level player next season. The time is now and Young and Wemby are a perfect match offensively.
    Actually, if Luka wants out of Dallas down the road Spurs probably have a better chance at getting him with Young available to send back.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this whole thing reminds me of the offseason where we signed LaMarcus Aldridge. There were posters saying they don't want LaMarcus because Tiago Splitter was such a great defender. And how Aldridge only got the Blazers past the first round once as the first option.

The Spurs ended up having a better defense with LA and were a legit contender with him as the #2 option. Probably would've won a couple of les if it wasn't for Zaza and Uncle Dennis.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this whole thing reminds me of the offseason where we signed LaMarcus Aldridge. There were posters saying they don't want LaMarcus because Tiago Splitter was such a great defender. And how Aldridge only got the Blazers past the first round once as the first option.

The Spurs ended up having a better defense with LA and were a legit contender with him as the #2 option. Probably would've won a couple of les if it wasn't for Zaza and Uncle Dennis.
    difference was opportunity cost of landing aldridge was just needing to movie splitter and then commit to LMA's contract which was a no-brainer. it wasnt also at the expense of draft capital. plus different CBA with supermax and whatnot. and that was mostly just supercharging a roster that was already great and competing, not hoping LMA would help drag us from the basement into relevance

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    difference was opportunity cost of landing aldridge was just needing to movie splitter and then commit to LMA's contract which was a no-brainer. it wasnt also at the expense of draft capital. plus different CBA with supermax and whatnot. and that was mostly just supercharging a roster that was already great and competing, not hoping LMA would help drag us from the basement into relevance
    I know. It's more about some people thinking it's better to keep Splitter than to get prime Aldridge what's funny to me. It's a consistent thing on this board where people overvalue average role players and don't want to add All-Stars.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Spurs think Devin is a #3 in a le team, then Young makes sense in the abstract. But I think he would need to create some momentum to get himself to SA. It's possible. Spurs are so adverse to change, typically, I still can't see it. But there's noise of something happening. Might be BS posturing, or BS but with the goal of creating a narrative.

This sounds like a ridiculous take, but I don't know if Pop really wants to speed up the timeline, I think he's gotten used to or excited about taking the slow route. This couybe an interesting internal debate that of course we never about.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Toronto pick
    Cha pick
    Chicago pick
    The lesser of the 25 pick (SA/Atl)
    Their 27 pick

Keldon
    Graham
    Branham

Who out there beats that package? Not who can, but who's willing too?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There was even more nuance

To get the space they had to ask Kawhi to not sign an extension for a year.

Beforehand I was all about just locking Kawhi up and forgetting the free agency dreams

Since then lots of national media people point to that as somehow being the beginning of the end in San Antonio and that he was unhappy to have been asked or pressured etc, it probably came from some of Uncle Propaganda.

Instead of feeling justified, I don't think that was a factor. Just Kawhi being a low character guy too afraid and underhanded to just tell the Spurs he was going home no matter what.

But, there are counter opinions and it should be factored in to the overall LMA signing picture

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Toronto pick
    Cha pick
    Chicago pick
    Their 27 pick

Keldon
    Graham
    Branham

I'll be the first to say that the '25 Atlanta pick has tremendous value, but let's be honest Atlanta is never opening discussions with the Spurs if they're not getting all their picks back.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll be the first to say that the '25 Atlanta pick has tremendous value, but let's be honest Atlanta is never opening discussions with the Spurs if they're not getting all their picks back.
    I don't really care what they want at this point....

Who's going to beat that offer for Trae?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Toronto pick
    Cha pick
    Chicago pick
    Their 27 pick

Keldon
    Graham
    Branham

Compare that to 3 LAL picks + 2 LAL Swaps + Reaves + Filler... I'm not sure that SA offer wins.

I'm also not sure LAL actually would offer that, but that would be an offer that could potentially beat the package you threw out.

I like your package, but would want Collins going out if possible. Also if I could somehow keep either TOR or CHI, I would want to do that, but that might be asking too much.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Compare that to 3 LAL picks + 2 LAL Swaps + Reaves + Filler... I'm not sure that SA offer wins.

I'm also not sure LAL actually would offer that, but that would be an offer that could potentially beat the package you threw out.

I like your package, but would want Collins going out if possible. Also if I could somehow keep either TOR or CHI, I would want to do that, but that might be asking too much.
    Yes, there are teams that can beat it, but I don't think there are any that will offer more. I keep hearing that we have to give them everything back plus stuff, but its not realistic unless some other team can trump our offer.

Also, I'd much prefer to send Collins out. I'm just putting out a strong offer that I don't think anyone will beat hoping to get people to 'think' and realize that we don't have to give them everything they want. We just have to give them a better offer than the compe ion. This offer is probably better than anything else they can get by a good bit.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You don't just dump all the players you don't want anymore, it's gotta be players they're interested in. Reaves is a way more interesting player than anyone we're willing to offer, Keldon included.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    planting DJM as a trojan horse with the Hawks to break the organization into trading away Trae to the Spurs while simultaneously allowing the spurs to land wemby would be an all timer

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Spurs think Devin is a #3 in a le team, then Young makes sense in the abstract. But I think he would need to create some momentum to get himself to SA. It's possible. Spurs are so adverse to change, typically, I still can't see it. But there's noise of something happening. Might be BS posturing, or BS but with the goal of creating a narrative.

This sounds like a ridiculous take, but I don't know if Pop really wants to speed up the timeline, I think he's gotten used to or excited about taking the slow route. This couybe an interesting internal debate that of course we never about.
    I think there's very good reason to think that Devin is a legitimate #3 on a le contender. His play style, dimensions, and numbers make him one of the more predictable guys to project moving forward I think - decent sized shooting guard with limited creation upside and a good bucket-getter. His value hinges on 1) quality of his defense 2) 3 point shooting and 3) size of his contract. The high end of this archetype is Kobe Bryant and Devin Booker, lower end you're looking at Jalen Green and maybe Cam Thomas. Realistic comps when looking at age 23 performance include Demar, Zach Lavine, and Khris Middleton, so basically an occasional or borderline all-star level player, and Vassell's defense is already better than the first two of those three. That is an awesome guy as a #3 option.

Regarding a Trae Young trade, even if the Spurs can beat any package, there is definitely going to be an optics portion where the Hawks take a lesser package so as to not look terrible for trading him back to the same team that sold them Dejounte. For me, I'm split between whether or not to trade for him. As long as Trae Young leaves the hawks, the spurs win I think - they'll either have Trae or those Hawks picks are going to be more like 5/6/7 rather than 9/10/11. Least desirable outcome is if Trae leaves but gets traded to minnesota for KAT.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    BTW Trae is higher in defensive rating than Tre:

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    High DRtg = bad.

But I think we all knew that Trae was a worse defender than Tre.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    High DRtg = bad.

But I think we all knew that Trae was a worse defender than Tre.
    you got me I always forget

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Spurs win the lotto with the #1 pick, they should entice Atlanta with that. Should be an easy sell to Hawks fans. This draft is a sham.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whether Trae Young or someone else, I think Devin has as much to gain as anyone by a legit PG who is both a scoring threat and an elite table setter. Devin's offensive talent is apparent... where he runs into trouble is when he has to do too much because there is no one else on the team to help pick up the slack.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you got me I always forget
    It's not a huge difference between the two though!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wemby expressed his disappointment in not making the all star game. He will definitely feel the pressure to win next season and all the talk about how winning next year with a compe ive team being unimportant is a joke.

Thread Information