Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    2nd Verse Same as the 1st Oh, Gee!!'s Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    How the do you go from a silly race joke, to a girl getting assaulted?
    that's called "living in the projects." like that happens all the time, and if you ever lived there you'd know.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    that's called "living in the projects." like that happens all the time, and if you ever lived there you'd know.
    They don't live in the projects, lol. There are no poor black people in the Tyler Perry world.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Just. Not. Funny. Period.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    They don't live in the projects, lol. There are no poor black people in the Tyler Perry world.
    But a good segment of his audience does or did

bandwagon hater
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Interesting, I hate Tyler Perry because he isnt funny AT ALL!!!

Meet the Browns MIGHT have been funny if it came out around the time of Family Matters, and even then it would have barely competed.

Why ANYONE thinks his stuff is funny is beyond me.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Interesting, I hate Tyler Perry because he isnt funny AT ALL!!!

Meet the Browns MIGHT have been funny if it came out around the time of Family Matters, and even then it would have barely competed.

Why ANYONE thinks his stuff is funny is beyond me.
    They don't. They simply support his 'cause he's black.

That's it, and that's all.

bandwagon hater
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

Thats my thinking as well....

And before anyone says anything about race, my favorite comedian by far is Dave Chapelle.... my top ten also include Chris Rock, Berny Mack and Bill Cosby.

For the record, I dont think Sinbad was ever all that funny.... he had his moments, and he s all over Tyler Perry.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Thats my thinking as well....

And before anyone says anything about race, my favorite comedian by far is Dave Chapelle.... my top ten also include Chris Rock, Berny Mack and Bill Cosby.

For the record, I dont think Sinbad was ever all that funny.... he had his moments, and he s all over Tyler Perry.
    errr....ummm...I'm not a racist because.......ummmm......I got it!!! My best friend is black.

bandwagon hater
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    errr....ummm...I'm not a racist because.......ummmm......I got it!!! My best friend is black.

Tyler Perry sucks....

Deal with it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    A bunch of friends are going to watch "For Colored Girls" on Friday. Another film by Tyler Perry.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

Uhm, perhaps black people just get it and others don't? I don't know too many blacks who liked Friends.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Uhm, perhaps black people just get it and others don't? I don't know too many blacks who liked Friends.
    I used to work at a Blockbuster, and 95% of the time, black folks would walk up to the counter w/ 3 or 4 movies, 2 semi-well known, 2 obscure as , all with a black lead or cast.

They don't care about the substance, just about the color.

Mr Robinsons hood denizen Creepn's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I used to work at a Blockbuster, and 95% of the time, black folks would walk up to the counter w/ 3 or 4 movies, 2 semi-well known, 2 obscure as , all with a black lead or cast.

They don't care about the substance, just about the color.

Have you seen the movies? How do you know they lack substance?

The Sean Marks Dance Duff McCartney's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    There's even black people that don't like Tyler Perry and I agree with some of their remarks..notably e Lee...

Despite praising Perry in 2006, in 2009 director e Lee criticized his work when interviewed by Ed Gordon on Our World with Black Enterprise, saying, "Each artist should be allowed to pursue their artistic endeavors but I still think there is a lot of stuff out today that is 'coonery' and buffoonery. I know it's making a lot of money and breaking records, but we can do better. … I see these two ads for these two shows [Tyler Perry’s Meet the Browns and House of Payne] and I am scratching my head. … We got a Black president and we going back to Mantan Moreland and Sleep 'n' Eat?"
    I agree with him in some ways. I'm not black nor do I like e Lee as a director too much, but even I can see that some of Tyler Perry's comedy is black people acting like buffoons, especially the "father figure" in his sitcoms.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Have you seen the movies? How do you know they lack substance?

I don't need to get to KNOW this guy in order to correctly assume he's a less idiot.

And so on, and so forth...

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Toronto Raptors

They don't care about the substance, just about the color
    The Hills is a popular ty show, led by an all-white cast. Most of the substance-less mainstream TV on air is dominated by all-or mostly white casts.

But would you ever think of making the assertion that white people only watch the Hills because the cast is white? Why are blacks exceptional in this regard?

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    lol his main audience is fat women and gays

Kooler than Jesus Nathan Explosion's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    The first problem the OP made was saying that some of Tyler Perry's was funny. It's not. I'm neither white nor black.

However, I guess I can see the whole, "You wouldn't get it if you're not black" argument because while George Lopez is at least 20 years older than me, I find him funny because a lot of the stuff he talks about happening to him as a kid, happened to me as a kid.

Not only do you have the age difference, but the location difference (LA vs SA) and yet, almost identical experiences growing up.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    The Hills is a popular ty show, led by an all-white cast. Most of the substance-less mainstream TV on air is dominated by all-or mostly white casts.

But would you ever think of making the assertion that white people only watch the Hills because the cast is white? Why are blacks exceptional in this regard?
    The Hills is simply evidence of white people's -taste in television. It has nothing to do w/ the skin color and EVERYTHING to do w/ their bizarre attraction to everything superficial and vapid...and their strive to behave accordingly.

Black supports black.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    The first problem the OP made was saying that some of Tyler Perry's was funny. It's not. I'm neither white nor black.

However, I guess I can see the whole, "You wouldn't get it if you're not black" argument because while George Lopez is at least 20 years older than me, I find him funny because a lot of the stuff he talks about happening to him as a kid, happened to me as a kid.

Not only do you have the age difference, but the location difference (LA vs SA) and yet, almost identical experiences growing up.
    Yup, George Lopez's humor does contain many references of experiences I've had in my life. I've enjoyed some of Tyler Perry's movies but we don't really watch any of his sitcoms. The wife is wanting to go watch "For Colored Women".

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Toronto Raptors
    The Hills is simply evidence of white people's -taste in television. It has nothing to do w/ the skin color and EVERYTHING to do w/ their bizarre attraction to everything superficial and vapid...and their strive to behave accordingly.

Black supports black.
    OK?

Somehow white people that would watch a brain-dead show like The Hills have deeper reasons for doing so, but blacks are incapable of discerning tastes in TV programming unless the actors are black... I’m sure those people you saw at BlockBuster also watch mainstream, white-dominated TV programming as well, like every other American.

BTW, most of Tyler Perry's stuff sucks balls – and he’s not making hundreds of millions of dollars because he’s strong-arming only 12% of the American population to buy his crap.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    OK?

Somehow white people that would watch a brain-dead show like The Hills have deeper reasons for doing so, but blacks are incapable of discerning tastes in TV programming unless the actors are black... I’m sure those people you saw at BlockBuster also watch mainstream, white-dominated TV programming as well, like every other American.

BTW, most of Tyler Perry's stuff sucks balls – and he’s not making hundreds of millions of dollars because he’s strong-arming only 12% of the American population to buy his crap.
    Each year of high school, 4 girls would run for homecoming/prom queen. It would typically be 3 white girls, and one black girl (named Jazz). Every year, Jazz would win. And it had nothing to do w/ her being the best candidate (especially EACH year). It was simply because she'd lock up the black vote.

When you're guaranteed the black support, everything else is gravy. I doubt very highly that ONLY blacks watch his show, but I can say with the utmost certainty that he's "got the black vote", for no other reason than his skin color; thus, his fortune and confounding popularity.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    I think some of Tyler Perrys stuff is funny. His first movie was much funnier than the last few, that is for sure.

I think black folk relate more to Tyler Perry, because a lot of that happens in his films, happens to blacks in real life. *shrugs*

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Each year of high school, 4 girls would run for homecoming/prom queen. It would typically be 3 white girls, and one black girl (named Jazz). Every year, Jazz would win. And it had nothing to do w/ her being the best candidate (especially EACH year). It was simply because she'd lock up the black vote.

When you're guaranteed the black support, everything else is gravy. I doubt very highly that ONLY blacks watch his show, but I can say with the utmost certainty that he's "got the black vote", for no other reason than his skin color; thus, his fortune and confounding popularity.

Thats funny, because I went to a HS that was about 5% black out of 2,800 students and a black girl still won the prom queen.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Thats funny, because I went to a HS that was about 5% black out of 2,800 students and a black girl still won the prom queen.
    Obviously, points of arguments (just like good thread ideas) consistently escape you.

Thread Information