Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Bandit2981
    the fallacy in your argument is that you keep saying kidd is a bad shooter, so he will hurt us and we dont need him...look at other aspects of his game, which i posted in another thread....
    #1. he averages 4 more rebounds per game than parker, which potentially could lead to 8-12 more points
    #2. he averages 4 more assists than parker, which you may also be able to tack on the extra 8-12 points(depending on the situation), as well as say he sets up more people for easy high percentage buckets or wide open looks instead of more difficult well-guarded outside shots
    #3. he averages 2 more steals a game, which not only shifts momentum, but can gnerate quick buckets and potentially as well be another 4-6 points for the team
    #4. his shooting is only 5% worse than parkers, not a significant margin
    #5. his FT percentage is 9% higher, and having the ability to get to the bucket, these freebees can add up and stop other teams from coming from behind on us so much

KoriEllis
    I don't really ever compare Parker to Kidd because they are completely different. Parker is a scoring point; Kidd is a distributing point -- he flourishes in the transition game and all the offense flows through him.

My main hesitation in the acquisition of Jason Kidd is simple.

With Kidd as a Spur, the offense would run through Kidd and the Spurs would be more of a running team than a half-court team.

We all *know* that Tim Duncan has won two MVP's and two les with the ball going through HIM.

Do we know that Duncan's game will improve if the offense is run through a distributing point guard like Kidd instead? Has Duncan ever played with that kind of point guard? Ever??

Can you guarantee me bringing in Kidd is going to improve Duncan's game? It might make sense that it would because the floor would open up, he wouldn't have to handle the ball as much, etc. But do we know for sure that Duncan can still be Duncan if things change?

Bandit2981
    Do we know that Duncan's game will improve if the offense is run through a distributing point guard like Kidd instead? Has Duncan ever played with that kind of point guard? Ever??
    you're forgetting that duncan actually likes to get out and run...how many times have we seen him trying to lead the break? and playing with kidd on the olympic team was something both really enjoyed. if duncan was happy having such a point guard on his side, its kind of a moot point to wonder how he will respond to it...he's basically the one who has been pushing for kidd to come aboard, and he knows his game better than any of us

KoriEllis
    Oh I know Duncan likes to run on occasion. The Spurs have a team right now that can do both, which is an asset. But with Kidd, it would be running most of the time. That doesn't go with Duncan's strength, which is setting up in the low block.

he's basically the one who has been pushing for kidd to come aboard
    Yes, that's what the media tells us.

50 Cent
    I believe Tim saying after the Finals, "Tony is my man."

Admiral
    Sometimes I wonder why this should even be an issue. The kid is 21 and has grown by leaps and bounds. He single-handedly took over in key playoff games this year and, without those performances, we likely wouldn't be talking about our recent championship. He's already in the top half of PG's in the league, and I agree with timvp that Parker will be a 22 and 8 guy in two years or less. 18 and 6 next year is not being unrealistic at all.

I don't think it's fair to knock on Parker's playmaking ability when he hasn't really had the chance to set tempo and control the offense. If you want a playmaker like Kidd, instead of running the offense through Duncan, why not give Parker a shot? He has the leadership skills, the quickness, and the natural instincts to be a very good playmaker. Sure, he looks for his shot more than a guy like John Stockton did, but Parker has proven that he is a quick learner. He's not afraid to step up and make big plays. If we want to let our PG control the offense instead of Duncan, Parker will rise to the occasion.

Oh yeah, and for the 18324th time, if we sign Kidd, Parker is gone. Tony will not be happy at shooting guard, nor will he be happy "learning" from Kidd throughout his 20's. Learn some psychology and a little bit about the mentality of a point guard, and it becomes obvious. It's Kidd or Parker, not both.

I choose Parker, and it's not even a tough decision.

adidas11
    And thus, the whole problem with the HOLTING PATTERN.

You are left with very few options, and the best option might not even be an ideal fit for your team.

This is the Spurs big opportunity to land the coveted "second superstar" that will definitely be needed as time progresses. But at the same time, I understand KoriEllis and Admiral's reservations about picking up Kidd, in favor of Tony Parker. Kidd might not be the ideal fit for the Spurs.

Thank the HOLTING PATTERN for that.

50 Cent
    Oh yeah, and for the 18324th time, if we sign Kidd, Parker is gone. Tony will not be happy at shooting guard, nor will he be happy "learning" from Kidd throughout his 20's. Learn some psychology and a little bit about the mentality of a point guard, and it becomes obvious. It's Kidd or Parker, not both.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

Adidas, you have no clue what Holt is willing to do for the right players. This team isn't an investment to him and the rest of the ownership group. They are more than willing to go over the cap and into the lux. tax zone for the right players. I just hope it's not for a mistake like Kidd.

Whottt
    The "holting pattern" as people call it has nothing to do with Kidd being a bad fit...Tony has every thing to do with it.

If Tony sucked we'd be all over signing Kidd.

ducks
    heard that that the spurs would have to spend 52 million to go to the luxury tax

Marcus Bryant
    And Parker will leap over buildings in a single bound. You guys are coming up with some rather rosy scenarios for Parker's development. A bit of a stretch for a player who was benched when the championship was on the line.

I'd love to believe the story of the Spurs' home grown point guard who becomes a superstar. Unfortunately that's just a fiction right now. Tim Duncan does not deserve to have his future based upon what could happen. Certainly not when this is the best time for the Spurs to add a superstar teammate for him.

Duncan deserves it. Now is the 2nd time he's decided to stay in San Antonio and give you something to cheer for...and you forget about him in favor of your virtual GM fantasies.

He doesn't deserve speculation and being stuck with a bunch of role players and ne'er do wells that he has to carry on his own. He doesn't deserve what David Robinson faced from 1989-96. Those were some tough years for us Spurs fans who bother to remember. Hard to believe then that there would be a day when some geniuses who call themselves Spurs fans would advocate turning down a great player who wants to play in SA for crap.

I see some of you talk about a Spurs "dynasty" and other assorted drivel. The Spurs have proven nothing except that they can win a le with a couple of major injuries to conference rivals and a key missed shot...with a player who supposedly is worth passing on an All-NBA team member riding the pine when the le clinching game is on the line. Now his backup who saved the day is a highly sought after free agent and the 37 year old guard who came off the bench to save the day twice from the great offense run by the prodigy is seriously pondering retirement. It's time for some of you to face reality and take off your silver and black rimmed glasses. This Spurs team is far from a dynasty, especially with LA, Sacramento, and Dallas in their conference and a team like Phoenix on the rise.

You think the Spurs can simply mark time, perhaps find someone to replace Robinson, and call it an offseason...the lone offseason during Duncan's prime playing years in which the Spurs can add a major talent. That is foolish.

I'm tired of reading your hysterical rants about how horrible a player Jason Kidd is. Sometimes your inability to appreciate the game of a non-Spur makes me wish you never had the opportunity to enjoy Duncan's game. Remember how you feel when someone talks about Timmy D's game? Well, the next time you go off on a rant about Kidd remember that. Because that is how ing stupid some of you sound.

ducks
    did you think tp would be as good this year as he was?

mb the mavs were losing the series BEFORE DIRK got hurt

now marbury I can give you a little room but the spurs were still winning

so know TP IS A ROLE PLAYER

Marcus Bryant
    Keep dreaming duckie.

Whottt
    Have you spent much time considering the fact that Kidd probably isn't going to come here, by his own choice? I've never thought he was..Or that people liking Tony on a message board isn't going to have much bearing on what the Spurs do?

ducks
    I said I give you the suns series. marburry kills the spurs. without him 100% suns have no shot. spurs were winning the series though. dirk sure he is the great player but the other great players mavs have would not have gotten the shots and touches. dirk still can not play d

D WINS RINGS

ChumpDumper
    And thus, the whole problem with the HOLTING PATTERN.

You are left with very few options, and the best option might not even be an ideal fit for your team.
    You think free agents are the only option.

You're wrong.

Marcus Bryant
    Then you're nuts.

Marcus Bryant
    Free agents aren't the only option...but they are the option where you don't have to give up any talent outright to acquire.

ChumpDumper
    Free agents aren't the only option...but they are the option where you don't have to give up any talent outright to acquire.
    Not when you're under the cap and other teams are paying luxury taxes.

Whottt
    So what are your thoughts on the Spurs doing that assinine trade with Indiana for Brad(I'm gonna be the of the WC)Miller if they sign Kidd?

And have you considered the fact that maybe Duncan is thinking..you know I started winning MVP's when Parker joined the team...I kinda want to keep him around.

Marcus Bryant
    There's one player who deserves credit for Tim Duncan winning those MVPs.....................

Next.

Marcus Bryant
    Not when you're under the cap and other teams are paying luxury taxes.
    I'll believe it when I see it. So far the talent given away due to lux tax fears is Robert Horry. And perhaps Anthony Peeler.

ducks
    no it could never be the talent around him or his coach it is all tim

please

it takes a team to win a mvp and usally one of the better records in the nba.

tim is a great player and deserves credit though to.

ChumpDumper
    I'll believe it when I see it. So far the talent given away due to lux tax fears is Robert Horry. And perhaps Anthony Peeler.
    And how many were traded in anticipation of it?

Whottt
    Have you thought about the fact that Duncan for the first time in his career is going to probably have to pull the toughest defensive assignment as well as carry the offense on a nightly basis, like DROB had too, if we don't add a quality defensive big like Mourning? Not saying he can't do it..but it's gonna make him tired quicker if he has to get offensively fouled all night by Shaq for 5 or 6 games in a row.

Thread Information