Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.brennancenter.org/analys...tions-voter-id

If you want to sift through the academic research feel free.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Allegations of election-related fraud make for enticing press. Many Americans remember vivid stories of voting improprieties in Chicagoland, or the su iously sudden appearance of LBJ's alphabetized ballot box in Texas, or Governor Earl Long's quip: "When I die, I want to be buried in Louisiana, so I can stay active in politics." Voter fraud, in particular, has the feel of a bank heist caper: roundly condemned but technically fascinating, and sufficiently lurid to grab and hold headlines. Perhaps because these stories are dramatic, voter fraud makes a popular scapegoat. In the aftermath of a close election, losing candidates are often quick to blame voter fraud for the results. Legislators cite voter fraud as justification for various new restrictions on the exercise of the franchise. And pundits trot out the same few anecdotes time and again as proof that a wave of fraud is imminent.

Allegations of widespread voter fraud, however, often prove greatly exaggerated. It is easy to grab headlines with a lurid claim ("Tens of thousands may be voting illegally!"); the follow-up - when any exists - is not usually deemed newsworthy. Yet on closer examination, many of the claims of voter fraud amount to a great deal of smoke without much fire. The allegations simply do not pan out.
    https://www.brennancenter.org/public...ut-voter-fraud

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because they can't afford an ID?
    Does the reason they don't have an ID matter, if the problem the law is supposed to solve doesn't exist?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.brennancenter.org/analys...tions-voter-id

If you want to sift through the academic research feel free.

No interest. I just don't think that "all" people being suppressed don't drive, fish, hunt, buy cigs and everything else necessary to function in adulthood in modern America.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Repugs have sent their snoops and US Atty's FOR YEARS to find in-person voting fraud, and found a few in many 100Ms of votes

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dropped ds off yesterday to take the bus back to Gainesville:

Departures and Arrivals

What do I need to show at the departure to board the bus?
    When checking in to board the bus, passengers will be required to provide a valid photo ID and his/her Booking Confirmation.

https://www.gmgtrans.com/faq

When I pick my kid up early for a dental appointment, I have to show a valid photo ID. Why would I not need to show id to vote especially when elections are so contentious?

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

Departures and Arrivals

When checking in to board the bus, passengers will be required to provide a valid photo ID and his/her Booking Confirmation.

When I pick my kid up early for a dental appointment, I have to show a valid photo ID. Why would I not need to show id to vote especially when elections are so contentious?
    Anecdotes are not cons utional.

Massive vote fraud is a myth.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Democrats in particular will never want that"

.... are happy with the rigged status quo, since their paymasters in the oligarchy are happy
    yep.

and many states, ex-cons can't vote for life
    good and rightfully so!

They pass the ID laws for the sole purpose of suppressing likely blocks of Democratic voters.
    lmao! but said cheap asses mooching off taxpaying citizens while buying big rims, blunts, and chains can't afford a $20 ID. out of here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Considering how big of a jackass you've been made you look this past couple of days, and the majority of your tenure, your faux intellectualism holds no water. Put me back on your ignore list, you simpleton.

But, to humor your idiocy, the right to bear arms is a cons utional right, are you saying we don't need ID's to buy/own guns as well? You're not as smart as you think you are.
    You ignore my arguments and instead go for insults then call me a faux intellectual? Rich in vitamin I, I see.

There is a right to life and a mandate for providing security in the cons ution as well. The background check is to protect those rights and uphold that responsibility.

Meanwhile, as pointed out by the article, there is no evidence of voter fraud and WI was unable to show any in court. Therefore there is no reason to ask for an ID to vote. OTOH there is a right to vote that is being infringed.

Next time at least try to answer someone's arguments before you tell them how dumb they are. You come across as petty and ignorant when you do as you are doing now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Departures and Arrivals

Because some people have a problem getting IDs.

Why should we have a law to solve a problem that doesn't exist?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You ignore my arguments and instead go for insults then call me a faux intellectual? Rich in vitamin I, I see.

There is a right to life and a mandate for providing security in the cons ution as well. The background check is to protect those rights and uphold that responsibility.

Meanwhile, as pointed out by the article, there is no evidence of voter fraud and WI was unable to show any in court. Therefore there is no reason to ask for an ID to vote. OTOH there is a right to vote that is being infringed.

Next time at least try to answer someone's arguments before you tell them how dumb they are. You come across as petty and ignorant when you do as you are doing now.

That's in rich comin from you. Again, put me on your ignore list, you twit.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yep.

good and rightfully so!

lmao! but said cheap asses mooching off taxpaying citizens while buying big rims, blunts, and chains can't afford a $20 ID. out of here.
    Come one mother er, show me the problem exists.

You are the one saying we need the law to solve it, dumbass.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yep.

good and rightfully so!

It figures that you are dumb enough to make the "they're all lazy and wasteful so it is okay to oppress them" argument.

you claim to not be right wing when you are just to the right of David Duke.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No interest. I just don't think that "all" people being suppressed don't drive, fish, hunt, buy cigs and everything else necessary to function in adulthood in modern America.
    We have them because there is motivation to cheat. In person voter fraud doesn't exist. Minors trying to buy alcohol is a problem that does exist.

Are you going to ask for mandatory invisible unicorn inspections next?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because some people have a problem getting IDs.

Why should we have a law to solve a problem that doesn't exist?
    If everyone was provided acceptable, standardized identification, at no cost, would you be against having to be ID'd to vote?

I ask because, and I hate to stereotype, but generally, the vast majority of the people too lazy, unwilling, or unable to purchase an ID, aren't exactly going to be...umm..."quality" or "intelligent" voters. There going to be in that same bracket of "stupid" and "ill-informed" voters that is tagged to voters who vote for Republican policy that is proving to fail. I think that poverty pimping is worked on both sides and I think that, especially in the era of so many people grandstanding with their opinions on social media, that many of these people who say they couldn't vote because of not having an ID wouldn't vote if they had one in the first place.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Come one mother er, show me the problem exists.

You are the one saying we need the law to solve it, dumbass.
    i said that? i don't specifically remember saying that but sure. i believe IDs should be required. i get no help in life, barely scrape by, and yet i can still afford an ID so what's the excuse for all the losers out there without one?

whether or not it will fix or not fix the issue is besides the point. need an ID to prove you're of age for many things and same should be the case to vote imo.

you claim to not be right wing when you are just to the right of David Duke.
    hilarious! now i'm a white supremacist? hahaha! go figure that would be next on your insults/name calling. it's par for the course though you've yet to call me a russian bot or a nazi. actually was it you calling me a ruski or am i mistaken?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    btw fuzzy, do you sit back and drool over how much HRC drools over an actual grand wizard or you just brush that to the side because she's so progressive?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We have them because there is motivation to cheat. In person voter fraud doesn't exist. Minors trying to buy alcohol is a problem that does exist.

Are you going to ask for mandatory invisible unicorn inspections next?
    OK, so voter fraud doesn't exist, so it shouldn't be illegal then? To assume that a law can't be broken is ridiculous.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    OK, so voter fraud doesn't exist, so it shouldn't be illegal then? To assume that a law can't be broken is ridiculous.
    It's already illegal and the laws do get broken -- it's just that fraudulent votes counted for 0.000002% of the total cast in the 2016 election. As an actual problem it's a non-issue.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's already illegal and the laws do get broken -- it's just that fraudulent votes counted for 0.000002% of the total cast in the 2016 election.
    Correct. So preventive measures aren't a good idea? That's the point I'm trying to make.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Correct. So preventive measures aren't a good idea? That's the point I'm trying to make.
    Not when it results in disenfranchising many more people than the four people who tried -- and failed -- to cast fraudulent votes under current law.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not when it results in disenfranchising many more people than the four people who tried -- and failed -- to cast fraudulent votes under current law.
    But can't that same logic hold true to everything that an ID is required for?

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    But can't that same logic hold true to everything that an ID is required for?
    Those aren't cons utional rights.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Those aren't cons utional rights.
    That's a fair and valid point, and honestly, end of the conversation. But, going back to our earlier tangent, what if every American was given a standardized ID, would you be against it then?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's in rich comin from you. Again, put me on your ignore list, you twit.
    I'm a fake intellectual yet you run like from a real argument.

Thread Information