Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Look - with role players, they are always going to be limited for the most part (unless you have a Ginobili 6th man type of situation). There will be a lot of up's and down's, especially in the playoffs. But if they can step up and play a big part in winning a playoff game, even if it's just one game, that justifies their contracts IMO. Bonner has had a few really good playoff games this year and this was a Western Conference Finals game so it counts double..

By the way, as I mentioned earlier in this thread; what a difference having guys in their proper roles can do. When you put a guy in a position to fail (i.e. starting Bonner in playoff games) it always hurts them. Put them in a role in which they can succeed and you see some of the positive results that can arise from that decision.
    great point. basically what i've been saying as well. Bonner tries hard, but usually his lack of athleticism bites him in the ass. But if you put him in the right role, give him some confidence, he can be deadly. Props to Bonner for this playoff run so far.

, props to Danny Green for the growing confidence/competence as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    James Fraschilla @jamesfraschilla
    Matt Bonner puts on for every white kid that wore New Balance sneakers in middle school basketball games

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Red Mamba is a champion.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's amazing what happens when you just take the damn shot
    bonner is the temp gauge. if he is hot it's a spurs win! if he's cold...

Chillin' like a villain... TampaDude's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    James Fraschilla @jamesfraschilla
    Matt Bonner puts on for every white kid that wore New Balance sneakers in middle school basketball games

I'm wearing my NBs right now.

RED MAMBA!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still can't believe he's hit as many shots as he has in the playoffs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Props to the Red Mamba! He has certainly been better this post-season than ever before. I don't know if it was the Red Mamba moniker or the 3 Pt contest, but he is giving good role player minutes.

It is still scary when Bonner and Blair are the two bigs on the floor...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he does it in game 2 then I will give him props. For now, he is still a perennial playoff choker.
    Matt Bonner 8-14 (57%) from 3pt. By far his best postseason so far. In his 7 seasons in San Antonio he has hit no better 37%. Prior to these playoffs he hit 28% of his 3pts. He has already broken that mold in a big way. He's also averaging 9.7 pts & 5 rpg per 36 minutes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Come on in and join the party and celebrate, Charlie Sheen and Borosai and Drz!!!!

I can't celebrate too hard -- my Bonner playoff story has always been small sample size, small sample size, small sample size, and it would be awfully hypocritical of me to trumpet his 12 for 20 this postseason. But it's not like I'm not enjoying watching his postseason 3P% inch closer to his career 3P%.

Moreso than his numbers, I'm enjoying his demeanor, which lo and behold, is the same demeanor he's always had. I hope all the people who think (or thought) he gets "scared" in the playoffs have realized it's time take a nice tall glass of STFU. Bonner very clearly doesn't give a sh!t if it's the playoffs, he's using the EXACT same stroke he's used his entire career, regular season and postseason.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That was a great game from Bonner and he did a great job on both ends. He played so much more physical and he did not hesitate for one second. Good news is, MEM was slow to close out so he had his normal time to shoot off of great passes and he was set.

I don't care if he chokes later because all you need is one role player a game to step up and it helps you win.
    This.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Matt Bonner 8-14 (57%) from 3pt. By far his best postseason so far. In his 7 seasons in San Antonio he has hit no better 37%. Prior to these playoffs he hit 28% of his 3pts. He has already broken that mold in a big way. He's also averaging 9.7 pts & 5 rpg per 36 minutes.
    Actually, including game 1 of the WCF, he's 12/20 (60%).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great game, Matty!

The Red Mamba lookin' pretty deadly out there against dem teddy bears (so far, lol).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually, including game 1 of the WCF, he's 12/20 (60%).
    Just realized that Basketball Reference takes longer than ESPN to update.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think we can give Kobe some props for one recognizing how good of a three point shooter Bonner is and for giving him that crazy name. I think that played a huge difference with Bonners fragile mindset for the post season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In previous years Matt was default our best big besides TD because of the cir stances.
    Tiago was hurt and too new, Boris was too new, Dice was old and slow, DeJuan is too short and sometimes fat, etc.

Matt Bonner has tried his best to become a better defender over the years, and this season it's paying off because he's in the exact situation for which he was aquired--a 3-point master who's kinda tall and doesn't suck too much on defense.
    Adding a fairly dependable inside shot really impressed me this year, despite the awkwardness of his dribble when penetrating.

Bottom line is that MB15 is a role player who got a lot of hate for not rising a huge margin above his job description.
    Last edited by Zzakk's Garage; 05-21-2013 at 02:40 AM.

Thread Information