Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    I'm your huckleberry K-State Spur's Avatar
    My Team
    Kansas State Wildcats
    Post Count
    I agree, but IMO that doesn't make it right.
    What other recourse should the NCAA take?

When you catch somebody, you have to hammer the school, otherwise there is absolutely no incentive for administrations to make sure that their programs are operating on the level. If all schools have to do is fire a coach and bring in new players to wash away the dirt, cheating would be even more rampant than it already is.

You can punish the coaches/players/boosters, but at the end of the day, that doesn't really send any kind of a message. Ultimately, it's the schools themselves that are responsible for the actions and representatives of their programs.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    You are absolutely right. The NCAA did what it had to do. Doesn't mean I think its fair to the current kids.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    You are absolutely right. The NCAA did what it had to do. Doesn't mean I think its fair to the current kids.

Fairness is irrelevant. Scott Drew didn't put a gun to recruits's head's and say come to Waco or else. All those kids on the team right now knew what they were getting by accepting a scholarship to play for Baylor.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Its not irrelevant to me but that is just one person's opinion. You are right though, those kids knew exactly what they were getting into. I still feel that their success is a good story and good for the conference.

My Team
    Baylor Bears
    Post Count
    Baylor v. A&M tied through 4, yes FOUR, overtimes! This is NUTS!

Stay tuned for the final results...

baylor...this is complete bull . totally unacceptable Turgeon, what the bro?

My Team
    Baylor Bears
    Post Count
    For those not following JGW's rant....

Baylor wins 116-110 in FIVE overtimes....longest game in Big 12 history.

I miss Billy!

He had to leave for the Blue Balls up in Kentucky.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    You mean you miss Acie Law IV.

You mean you miss Acie Law IV.
    Yeah, him too!

My Team
    Kansas State Wildcats
    Post Count
    unbelievable...and it wasn't televised.

if turgeon lets this streak snowball like he did at WSU, A&M should make a change immediately. that would make 4 out of 5 years that he has overseen massive tankings to close out the season.

Win. Whatever it Takes Whisky Dog's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Wow, what has happened to AtM? Have they been Turgeoned?

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Maybe you Ags developed some unexpected patience but I bet Billy Clyde would have this team in the top 10 no problem. It doesn't get easier with a trip to Stillwater and UT and OU next week. This effing sucks.

How the did A&M win the NIT tourney (with a throttling of tOSU for the crown) and then the bed against mighty programs like Tech, K-State, and Baylor? And save me the up-and-coming, top recruiting class, bazillion win coach excuses.

(By the way, I didn't see the game but c'mon, 23 missed free throws in a game that went to 5 OT's? Aggie basketball for me was a guilty pleasure once upon a time.)

Maybe you Ags developed some unexpected patience but I bet Billy Clyde would have this team in the top 10 no problem. It doesn't get easier with a trip to Stillwater and UT and OU next week. This effing sucks.

How the did A&M win the NIT tourney (with a throttling of tOSU for the crown) and then the bed against mighty programs like Tech, K-State, and Baylor? And save me the up-and-coming, top recruiting class, bazillion win coach excuses.

(By the way, I didn't see the game but c'mon, 23 missed free throws in a game that went to 5 OT's? Aggie basketball for me was a guilty pleasure once upon a time.)

...i'm pissed, surprised, and confused. who knows whats going to happen the rest of the year.

My Team
    Oklahoma State Cowboys
    Post Count
    Didn't Kstate and I tell you guys how Turgeon likes to fold his tent in the 2nd half of the season?

Oh, the inflamitory comments we took for that one.

Proud Silver Medalist Doug Collins's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    Didn't Kstate and I tell you guys how Turgeon likes to fold his tent in the 2nd half of the season?

Oh, the inflamitory comments we took for that one.
    I don't know what the he is doing, especially after his "pity party" press conference he had the other day. He knew the types of expectations he was dealing with at A&M and he needs to start making some changes.

Maybe we can hire Acie Law.

My Team
    Oklahoma State Cowboys
    Post Count
    I still honestly believe they were so suprised by Billy leaving that they completely jumped the gun and hired the wrong guy. Billy left on a Thursday and they hired Turgeon on Monday. Either they knew they couldn't get an established coach because of atm's poor basketball history or.... well they just threw a dart.

Turgeon is a nice mid-major coach. B12 basketball is far from mid-major.

My Team
    Kansas State Wildcats
    Post Count
    How the did A&M win the NIT tourney (with a throttling of tOSU for the crown) and then the bed against mighty programs like Tech, K-State, and Baylor?
    We'll see on Tech, but right now KSU and Baylor are far better than anybody that A&M played in the preNIT.

My Team
    Oklahoma State Cowboys
    Post Count
    Turns out if you look at the preNIT, none of the teams are very good.

Proud Silver Medalist Doug Collins's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    Turns out if you look at the preNIT, none of the teams are very good.
    It just foreshadowed the teams that will be in the real NIT.

My Team
    Oklahoma State Cowboys
    Post Count
    Nah, I bet ORU makes it to the NCAA and they didn't even win a game in it.

they were focused on beating O$U and couldn't worry about the NIT...

Win. Whatever it Takes Whisky Dog's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    The UT - Baylor game was a pretty damn good game. I was looking forward to the back court matchup of Augustine/Abrams vs. Jerrels/Bruce. The big plus for Baylor was their ability to take Augustine out of the game for the most part until the last few minutes. The pluses for the Longhorns were Justin Mason taking Bruce out of the game by putting him in foul trouble and Mason/James taking Jerrels out of the game after the first 10 minutes of the 1st half. The kicker to the game is Baylor's big weakness - the front court. Gary Johnson absolutely abused the Baylor front court all game, and Johnson/James/Atchley worked them into the ground. I like Baylor but their frontcourt has to get better.

My Team
    Arizona Wildcats
    Post Count
    Whoopsies

http://gary-parrish.blogs.cbssports....71764/25215035

The NCAA has launched an investigation into Baylor coach Scott Drew and his men's basketball program because of the school's involvement in the recruitment of a high school player from Colombia, FoxSports.com's Jeff Goodman reported Tuesday night.

CBSSports.com has confirmed the story with multiple sources.

Drew could not immediately be reached for comment.

The development centers around the recruitment of Hanner Perea, a Class of 2012 prospect from Colombia who now plays at LaLumiere High in Indiana. According to the report, Baylor assistant Mark Morefield -- who was suspended from off-campus recruiting for phone violations this past summer -- sent "dozens" of text messages to Perea's AAU and high school coaches in July while they were coaching at sanctioned events, which is an NCAA violation. Among the texts was a message sent to LaLumiere coach Alan Huss that reportedly threatened to have Perea deported if the 6-foot-9 forward committed somewhere other than Baylor.

"I guarantee u if he does [commit to another school] he will be in Colombia for the spring and summer and next year," the text read, according to FoxSports.com. "Don’t forget it."

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    Only a matter of time until Drew's recruiting tactics catches up to him. Now its all going to come raining down on the Bears.

To make things worse...

LaceDarius Dunn suspended indefinitely

* Email
    * Print
    * Comments248

ESPN.com news services

WACO, Texas -- Baylor indefinitely suspended leading scorer LaceDarius Dunn on Tuesday after he surrendered to police to face an aggravated assault charge, in which he is accused of breaking his girlfriend's jaw during an argument last week.

LaceDarius Dunn
    Dunn

According to Waco police, officers were called to Hillcrest Hospital on Sept. 27 to investigate an assault on LaCharlesla Edwards, 21, who had a broken jaw. Police said Edwards and Dunn, identified as her boyfriend, had gotten into an argument and that Dunn punched her in the face. She went to the hospital to seek treatment.

Bears coach Scott Drew said Dunn, a senior guard, "has been indefinitely suspended from all team activities." Drew confirmed that Dunn was in class on Tuesday morning and that he has not been suspended from the university.

Baylor said in a release that the university was working to gather facts and was fully cooperating with authorities. The school said there would be no further comment.

Dunn's attorney, Vikram Deivanayagam, confirmed that the Baylor guard was booked earlier Tuesday at the McLennan County Jail in Waco. An operator at the jail said that Dunn remained there on Tuesday afternoon, awaiting booking.

"We look forward to reviewing the file and working with the district attorney's office," the attorney said in a statement.

Edwards' lawyer, Jason Darling, said the victim and her family were "extremely disappointed" at the felony charge against Dunn. Darling said his client did not want to pursue charges and plans to file an affidavit of non-prosecution in an attempt to get the charges dismissed.

Darling acknowledged that Dunn did indeed punch his client in the face one time after "she got up in his face arguing."

In a statement released through Darling on Wednesday, Edwards said: "My family and I are deeply disturbed about the misinformation and half truths that are being reported by media regarding the incident with my boyfriend. He has never struck me during our long-term relationship. What happened on the night of September 27 was an accident and I went to the hospital for precautionary reasons.

"I never expressed any interest in pressing charges nor will I in the future press charges on this incident. I am fine and my jaw is not broken as is being reported. My family and I wish to put this situation behind us. Lace and I will continue our relationship and raising our son in a good environment. I respectfully request that the District Attorney's Office dismiss these charges, and further request that Baylor University lift their suspension."

Darling said he believed the case merited nothing more than a misdemeanor charge against Dunn based on the injuries his client sustained. He said she suffered "two minor fractures in her jaw" that were treated with "minor day surgery." He said there was minor swelling and that her jaw was not wired shut, and reports of loose or missing teeth were inaccurate.

Darling said his client has returned to her home in Louisiana. He said she was only visiting Dunn and is not living in Waco. The couple have been dating nearly a decade and have a 3-year-old son together, he said.

The woman's father, Charles Edwards, told The Associated Press from his home in Monroe, La., that his daughter didn't have a broken jaw and that "somebody down there is trying to make a story out of nothing."

The elder Edwards said his daughter was "laughing and giggling" when he went to Waco after the alleged attack.

"If something would have happened to my daughter, I would probably be in jail right now in Waco because I probably would have done something to that young man," said Charles Edwards, who said his daughter is in Monroe. "In this case, she said they were playing, and that's it."

Dunn was a second-team All-Big 12 pick while averaging 19.6 points and 4.8 rebounds last season when Baylor set a school record with 28 victories and got within one win of making its first NCAA Final Four appearance in 60 years. He set school records for points (704), 3-pointers (116) and free throw shooting percentage (85.7 on 126 of 147 free throws).

In April, two days after 6-foot-10 power forward Ekpe Udoh said he was bypassing his senior season at Baylor for the NBA draft, Dunn said he was staying. Udoh was the sixth overall pick by Golden State.

In 106 games over three seasons for Baylor, Dunn has averaged 16.4 points and already has the school record with 299 career 3-pointers, 91 shy of the Big 12 record. He is fourth in school history with 1,739 career points. He needs 451 points to surpass Terry Teagle as Baylor's career scoring leader, and 518 to pass Texas Tech's Andre Emmett for the Big 12 record.

Thread Information