Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's the best statistic for defense, no question about it.
    Man, it's just great when people make it apparent that they have no clue what they're talking about. Thanks Raven.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man, it's just great when people make it apparent that they have no clue what they're talking about. Thanks Raven.
    just to make it clear, drpm is not a pure statistic it's a weighted calculation and therefore doesn't tell facts. It is very accurate, but is not in the same league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sarcasm?

He's putting up 23.5, 11.1, and 2.6 blocks per game with a PER close to 25.

He's 22. The do you want from him? He's supposed to be winning championships as a 22 year old on a team?
    He's a good player. He's not dominant. If he was dominant he'd not be getting his pushed in by the Mav's bench.

The league is so ing diluted now that any player who can score double digits and get rebounds is considered "dominant" even if they can't lead their team to the ing team bus, much less a win.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    just to make it clear, drpm is not a pure statistic it's a weighted calculation and therefore doesn't tell facts. It is very accurate, but is not in the same league.
    And just to be even more clear, attempting to use a single statistic as a tell-all about someone's prowess on either side of the ball is a sign that you don't know how to use or interpret statistics.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's a good player. He's not dominant. If he was dominant he'd not be getting his pushed in by the Mav's bench.

The league is so ing diluted now that any player who can score double digits and get rebounds is considered "dominant" even if they can't lead their team to the ing team bus, much less a win.
    Can you name the dominant 22 year olds in NBA history? It's a pretty short list, especially those on bad teams/franchises.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And just to be even more clear, attempting to use a single statistic as a tell-all about someone's prowess on either side of the ball is a sign that you don't know how to use or interpret statistics.
    i don't remember saying i use a single statistic and spare me the teachings, i mean you thought belinelli was a decent defender...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i don't remember saying i use a single statistic
    Except, you know, the part where you used DRTG and only DRTG to formulate an argument for why KD is a superior defender to AD and KAT. Good lord man, do you even read what you post?

and spare me the teachings, i mean you thought belinelli was a decent defender...
    Please show me where I said that. I said Beli gave a lot of EFFORT on defense. The dude still got lit up like Christmas tree but I preferred that to someone who just went through the motions and got torched.

Again, you've gotta put words in someone else's mouth to make your argument more convincing.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you are saying they are all in the same draft class and same age as rookies based on college and potential I would agree with Raven (shocker) Durant has a good case. Remember Davis wasnt that great on offense in college and neither was KAT. But if you project continued growth for both Davis and KAT as bigs you can definitely make a case for those two guys. Based on what we know today Durant has the edge but I really do like Davis and Towns.
    Davis was just held back offensively by that Kentucky team. If you followed him in high school his offensive game in the NBA would come as no surprise. I knew he was going to be a way better pro than college player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Except, you know, the part where you used DRTG and only DRTG to formulate an argument for why KD is a superior defender to AD and KAT. Good lord man, do you even read what you post?

Please show me where I said that. I said Beli gave a lot of EFFORT on defense. The dude still got lit up like Christmas tree but I preferred that to someone who just went through the motions and got torched.

Again, you've gotta put words in someone else's mouth to make your argument more convincing.
    since, once again, you clearly don't know what you're talking about, i suggest you read the message again.

see that's just it. While Durant is not a good defender by any means, he still far eclipses AD and Towns in defensive rating... just because those two can block shots, doesn't mean they are great defenders. If they are not groundbreaking defenders, which they are not, not even close, they are not the rudy gobert alter ego, can they develop an unguardable offensive game to be compared to durant? the answer is no.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i don't remember saying i use a single statistic
    While Durant is not a good defender by any means, he still far eclipses AD and Towns in defensive rating...
    Jesus Christ man.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting. Gonna have to check out some T-Wolves league pass to check out his game. Nice to hear about a new big man doing really well for a change.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jesus Christ man.
    are you ing re ed?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can you name the dominant 22 year olds in NBA history? It's a pretty short list, especially those on bad teams/franchises.
    Red herring. Either he's dominant or he's not.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jesus Christ man.
    You're reaching. He comments on DTRG after saying Durant isn't a good defender. That doesn't mean he's using only that to determine whether or not Durant is better than anyone else other than that stat.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DRtg is like the worst stat ever unless you're comparing bigs to bigs. Even then, it's not great, but that stat doesn't really capture individual defense at all. I'm not going to speculate on having KD, Towns and Davis as 19-year-olds in the same draft, but I will say that I like Towns a lot more than Davis at this point. AD seems like his potential is capped at being the Robinson/Garnett of this upcoming era. He'll be a HoFer and may back into a le or two later. But he'll be a career underachiever whose fans make excuses for him not maximizing his gifts and turning them into rings. Towns can be the Duncan of the next era. Obviously their talents are different, but I really like KAT's intangibles. Dude looks like he's going to be a LMA on offense and a Noel on defense. We'll see if he can get it done with Minny, but he looks to me like a future multiple fMVP.

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    DRtg is like the worst stat ever unless you're comparing bigs to bigs. Even then, it's not great, but that stat doesn't really capture individual defense at all. I'm not going to speculate on having KD, Towns and Davis as 19-year-olds in the same draft, but I will say that I like Towns a lot more than Davis at this point. AD seems like his potential is capped at being the Robinson/Garnett of this upcoming era. He'll be a HoFer and may back into a le or two later. But he'll be a career underachiever whose fans make excuses for him not maximizing his gifts and turning them into rings. Towns can be the Duncan of the next era. Obviously their talents are different, but I really like KAT's intangibles. Dude looks like he's going to be a LMA on offense and a Noel on defense. We'll see if he can get it done with Minny, but he looks to me like a future multiple fMVP.
    He'd have to crave like dum-dum.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He'd have to crave like dum-dum.
    Interesting take from someone who's been obsessed with Duncan's "bag" for years.

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Interesting take from someone who's been obsessed with Duncan's "bag" for years.
    When you let a semi retired squirt like Battier shade ya---you deserve everything you get.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jesus..when are people going to stop using drtg..i swear to God it is the most missued stats of all time and I say that knowing kawhi ks beasting at drtg.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only thing stopping towns now is a bad team. The wolves have a the biggest player since 2011 leonard who is going to be even more impactful next year.

Ive repeadly called Davis a potential top 5 player in the league but Towns has the tools be even better. Hes a very impactful player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so your point is that defensive rating is a bad stat because it tells how the team defense is more than how the player is but drpm is better despite you not knowing what exactly it calculates... hm
    Defensive rating is a decent team stat. Straightforward. It's a horrible stat to evaluate individual defense. Guys like Mills, diaw, Parker, and Kevin love have high defensive ratings because they happen to be on good defensive teams. Carlos Boozer was notorious for having elite defensive ratings in Chicago despite being one of the worst individual defenders in the game. It's like taking a teams FG% and using that to call one of the players an efficient shooter.

Defensive rating is biased towards players that are surrounded with other good defensive players. On the other hand, RPM is a metric that is specifically designed to exclude contributions of other players.
    Last edited by spurraider21; 01-09-2016 at 01:06 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    KAT has great potential and a very good player already, but in this draft, the kinda player that has transcendent superstar player level of ceiling is PorzinGOD IMHO. Guy has solid fundamental, yet all the combination of great physical tool, sense of the game, basketball IQ, and soft shooting touch that can propel him into GOAT level player if he is willing to work hard in realizing those potentials.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jesus..when are people going to stop using drtg..i swear to God it is the most missued stats of all time and I say that knowing kawhi ks beasting at drtg.
    Drtg is a reasonable and common team stat, usually just called defensive efficiency in that context. But it's really outdated as an individual stat

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Defensive rating is a decent team stat. Straightforward. It's a horrible stat to evaluate individual defense. Guys like Mills, diaw, Parker, and Kevin love have high defensive ratings because they happen to be on good defensive teams. Carlos Boozer was notorious for having elite defensive ratings in Chicago despite being one of the worst individual defenders in the game. It's like taking a teams FG% and using that to call one of the players an efficient shooter.

Defensive rating is biased towards players that are surrounded with other good defensive players. On the other hand, RPM is a metric that is specifically designed to exclude contributions of other players.
    DRtg is actually most accurate when comparing TEAMMATES. For example, Porker has the worst rating on the Spurs.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    I love KAT. He was the player I was disappointed in missing out on, not Oak or even Porzingis (after we saw his potential) that being said he is not abvetter prospect than Anthony Davis imho but he is definitely better than any since Davis and inbetween LeBron and Davis ...maybe durant also should be in that convo ...
    Y'all are forgetting about Blake, dude was 22/12/4 as a rookie. You could argue he wasn't a true rookie but he was a beast. As far as perimeter players, Rose/Kyrie were already top 10 guards as rookies.

Thread Information