Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tighten the rotation... And we are still in the FIRST 20 games of the season. LOL!!!!

Make sure they play Kawhi 40+ min/gm when he comes back too. Hahahahahah... OMG, can't breathe!!! Lololololol!!!!!!! Bahahahahaha....

Dumbass.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    tighten the overall rotations is not what I have in mind ... but focus on different players in different games ... give Bertans a longer look in one game and Lauvergne in another ... Pop is mixing it up a little too much which was especially the case when he played Manu in a second half after not using him in the first half --> this only means Pop cares a lot about the record
    I agree with you. You are on fire.

It seems to me Pop would like to give extended looks to everyone at some point but guys have to pull their weight. If the game isn’t going well he can’t afford to do it for too long.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lauvergne and Murray are playing themselves out of the rotation (unfortunately so for the latter)..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Biggest elephant on the room is Lauvergne. He has been good but there's just no room for him on this Spurs team with the smallball movement. Pau played only 18 minutes today. He already has to come to terms with not finishing games, if he also starts playing less than 20 minutes per game we could see his interest and, as a result, his production plummet. So far, he has been the best player on the team in terms of +/-, it makes no sense to play him so little. It also doesn't make sense to play a 16 mils per year guy just 18 mins per game.

Then we have the Murray/Forbes/Paul situation. There's room only for two of them on the rotation (and that's without Tony and Kawhi). I have been a big Murray supporter but if he doesn't start producing, I would say to give the time to Forbes and Paul. Forbes, specially, seems to be on the verge of deserving an even bigger role (PATFO should have let Mills go, smh).

And then there's Bertans. I don't know how, but Pop needs to find him playing time.
    I would say way the pro's & con's for them 3..

BF -- Better shooter than DM, by a mile
    BP -- Better shooter than DM & Defender than both DM & BF+
    DM -- He is taller (lol), gets more boards..
    Who is in a position to help the SPURS now or even next season.

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    Dude, we aren't even 20 games in. Pop is going to experiment with lineups all season like he does every single year and the rotation for the playoffs will likely be cemented in March. Too early for this imho

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no. This time of the season you figure out which players did well with each other and versus what matchups. Tightening rotations are for the playoffs, not November.
    This

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nine spots seem to be solidified

Parker, Green, Leonard, Aldridge -- Guaranteed Starters
    Anderson, Gasol -- Flex Starters
    Mills, Ginobili, Gay -- Guaranteed Bench Players

And I expect that to be the nine-man rotation in the playoffs. However, due to how flexible Anderson, Gay and Manu are, that 10th spot could go to Joff, Bryn, Brandon, Davis or DeJounte equally well. Honestly, you have to give all those guys chances to show what they can do, because there are pluses and minuses for each guy:

Joff -- Allows the team to start Gasol and continue to try to win with size; Limits small-ball and a Joff/Pau lineup is prone to exploitation
    Bryn -- Second unit gets another spacer who has offensive upside to make the bench deadly again; Mills/Forbes is a small back-court with defensive issue
    Brandon -- Second unit gets a defender to spell Kawhi and Danny while also not losing much shooting; Sometimes has a rash of bad decisions on both ends and is a jack of all trades, master of none
    Davis -- Second Unit has gets shot-blocking potential with Gay, Bertans and Gasol in the front court, in addition to potentially elite shooting; Below average perimeter D and terrible rebounding
    DeJounte -- Second Unit would have multiple players who can drive and kick, and rebounding and perimeter D would have upside; Spacing would likely be affected, and turnovers would likely increase.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't care who's in and out of the playoffs rotation, but Forbes has to be in it.

As for Gasol's feelings.... who gives a . That got requesting a trade because he's unhappy would be the best thing to happen to this team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

And I expect that to be the nine-man rotation in the playoffs. However, due to how flexible Anderson, Gay and Manu are, that 10th spot could go to Joff, Bryn, Brandon, Davis or DeJounte equally well. Honestly, you have to give all those guys chances to show what they can do, because there are pluses and minuses for each guy:

Joff -- Allows the team to start Gasol and continue to try to win with size; Limits small-ball and a Joff/Pau lineup is prone to exploitation
    Bryn -- Second unit gets another spacer who has offensive upside to make the bench deadly again; Mills/Forbes is a small back-court with defensive issue
    Brandon -- Second unit gets a defender to spell Kawhi and Danny while also not losing much shooting; Sometimes has a rash of bad decisions on both ends and is a jack of all trades, master of none
    Davis -- Second Unit has gets shot-blocking potential with Gay, Bertans and Gasol in the front court, in addition to potentially elite shooting; Below average perimeter D and terrible rebounding
    DeJounte -- Second Unit would have multiple players who can drive and kick, and rebounding and perimeter D would have upside; Spacing would likely be affected, and turnovers would likely increase.
    Great summary. I agree completely on current upside/downside of each. Though I think Joff still has to show that at least he can perform his niche well. I am not sure he's playing that well personally, at least everyone else one can tell what they can do well and what they bring.
    Also, they sound like a lot of situational players, with at least one thing they bring and can do at an elite level to maybe change the momentum of a game, whether that is someone making Belinelli sized big buckets or something else. They should all probably continue to get opportunities. It's possible some guys take themselves out of the running, but it wouldn't be a terrible thing if they all play well within their niche.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's the difference?
    Maybe the difference isn't between small, big, and spread, but small, big and medium. We have a lot of players in that 6'5 to 6'10 range and when looking for match-up advantages over other teams, we can subs ute with three different looks and offensive and defensive skill sets. I really believe Pop is exploring a new type of NBA team--one where all sorts of players can fit into the rotation and play to their strengths. Persnally, I like to see this type of team rotations and I bet the bench does as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd agree with op if this was april

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Biggest elephant on the room is Lauvergne. He has been good but there's just no room for him on this Spurs team with the smallball movement. Pau played only 18 minutes today. He already has to come to terms with not finishing games, if he also starts playing less than 20 minutes per game we could see his interest and, as a result, his production plummet. So far, he has been the best player on the team in terms of +/-, it makes no sense to play him so little. It also doesn't make sense to play a 16 mils per year guy just 18 mins per game.

Then we have the Murray/Forbes/Paul situation. There's room only for two of them on the rotation (and that's without Tony and Kawhi). I have been a big Murray supporter but if he doesn't start producing, I would say to give the time to Forbes and Paul. Forbes, specially, seems to be on the verge of deserving an even bigger role (PATFO should have let Mills go, smh).

And then there's Bertans. I don't know how, but Pop needs to find him playing time.
    Basically said as much in the "What's up with Bertans?" thread.

Lauvergne has not been good and even if he were, he should have always been utilized as Gasol and Aldridge insurance, since he's the only other player (not counting Costello) that can at least somewhat credibly play center. Typical Pop, with his usual "this guy's been a pro for a long time, he's not impressed by any of this" routine with foreigners. Reality is, he's the same age as Paul and to this point has shown himself to be no more than a fringe player.

And I expect that to be the nine-man rotation in the playoffs. However, due to how flexible Anderson, Gay and Manu are, that 10th spot could go to Joff, Bryn, Brandon, Davis or DeJounte equally well. Honestly, you have to give all those guys chances to show what they can do, because there are pluses and minuses for each guy.
    Thought months ago the playoff rotation would be those 9, with the 10 spot playing no more than spot minutes based on match-up and situation.

I don't see a case for Lauvergne and the only one for Murray, is that he play instead of Parker or Mills, which isn't happening. Otherwise, it should be narrowed to Bertans, Forbes and Paul.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If u guys think we are gonna win a ring without a starting point guard that can break down the defense, you're smoking crack

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If u guys think we are gonna win a ring without a starting point guard that can break down the defense, you're smoking crack
    I said Kyle was a flex starter. What more do you want?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lauvergne is the elephant?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lauvergne is the elephant?
    not sure...

but I think he's supposed to be a big that brings something similar to what David Lee brought... Being a good energy big, hustle rebounder and good roller. Alas, his energy is noticed in rebounds and he's been a better passer than I expected, but he hasn't been a good roller or finisher in the paint and I think if he doesn't improve there, one just cannot justify his playing time.

I do expect Pop to give him more opportunities. He has played too little to say anything conclusive... but if he isn't pulling his weight, then his minutes will get smaller.

Already a big like Davis Bertans who is flawed in rebounding and big man hustle, as well as rolling, can get his minutes because he can at least give better spacing to others and elite shooting. And if Lauvergne isn't going to be better on defense than Bertans, then for spot minutes Bertans is better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No more Lauvergne, tbh.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Will he dress or not

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No more Lauvergne, tbh.
    agree. I know there was a matchup issue here with Cousins, but he's been bad, very bad.
    Maybe the Spurs even need to pick a different big eventually and waive him, in case someone is in foul trouble or Pau or Lamarcus needs a rest game. He makes me miss Dedmon, Lee, etc.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    agree. I know there was a matchup issue here with Cousins, but he's been bad, very bad.
    Maybe the Spurs even need to pick a different big eventually and waive him, in case someone is in foul trouble or Pau or Lamarcus needs a rest game. He makes me miss Dedmon, Lee, etc.
    Lauvergne is fine as the 11th or 12th guy, imho.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lauvergne is fine as the 11th or 12th guy, imho.
    I much prefer a guy that even if he's offensively challenged has chops on defense for that spot... personally.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No more Lauvergne, tbh.
    His advanced stats have always been terrible, no matter the role or minutes. It's a good indicator he wouldn't do well in increased minutes. Even a career 5th big like Jeff Withey blows him out of the water.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No Lauvergne tonight. Good, tbh.

Thread Information