Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sheed obviously salty Duncan took a championship off him.

So funny how a 29th pick little Frenchie and a 57th pick? Argentinian who any other franchise could have taken is considered too much help?

2003 especially was a 2nd year Frenchmen getting benched for Craig Claxton lol who, Manu 6th man, Robinson an old dude who had already announced his retirement. Bowen a SF who can't dribble, can't pass, can't do anything but defend

Sheed obviously so bitter Duncan took the 2005 championship right out of his hands.

Only all time greats make average help seem all time help
    Try two lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh yeah I forgot to mention Duncans Spurs swept Sheed's Blazers in 99 also. Good stuff! Dude is way salty

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sheed didn’t age well at all. He sounds punch drunk.
    Prolly stoned. His rep was 4:20/24/7.

lol, Jailblazers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    KG was undoubtedly in a worst situation than TD.

Having said that, if Spurs had KG and Wolves had TD - we’d have no chips and Wolves would have multiple.

Really s me up how TD is considered to having all this great help, when players like Kobe and Magic had fellow Top 10 big men. Like Lebron and Jordan, TD elevates roleplayers. That’s what true all time greats do.

Sheed sounds and looks like he’s smoking crack.
    I still haven’t seen one player in my time following the NBA since 81,who did what Duncan did in 2002-2003, literally take a team with no stars, put them on his back, and drag them to a le. DRob was done, Manu played 2/3 of a season, and Tony was still a little French kid who couldn’t shoot his way out of a wet paper bag.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still haven’t seen one player in my time following the NBA since 81,who did what Duncan did in 2002-2003, literally take a team with no stars, put them on his back, and drag them to a le. DRob was done, Manu played 2/3 of a season, and Tony was still a little French kid who couldn’t shoot his way out of a wet paper bag.
    agree

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's even crazier is that if certain miracle shots don't go in, if Manu doesn't foul, if Manu doesn't break his arm, etc. We're looking at 7 or 8. happens though.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    KG was undoubtedly in a worst situation than TD.

Having said that, if Spurs had KG and Wolves had TD - we’d have no chips and Wolves would have multiple.

Really s me up how TD is considered to having all this great help, when players like Kobe and Magic had fellow Top 10 big men. Like Lebron and Jordan, TD elevates roleplayers. That’s what true all time greats do.

Sheed sounds and looks like he’s smoking crack.
    I was going to post something similar to what you said. Magic Johnsons teams were overloaded with talent, The 80's Celtics had a decent amount of talent. How much help did Kobe have? He had all-star teammates who are considered higher on the food chain (Shaq, Gasol) than anyone TD had (DRob was nowhere near his prime when TD played with him. Not sure if you guys would rate Gasol higher than Manu all-time?). MJ had Pippen. Lebron can't win without a stacked team. If you compare all these teams that won multiple championships, the Spurs teams TD lead to Championships may have had less talent overall than most of these multiple time championship teams (I didn't want to mention the Warriors cause, well, them). Sheed is a straight up hater.

Anyway, I just wanted to reiterate my main point that I was going to post. If you put KG on those same Spurs teams, the Spurs would have zero rings. Tim was put in a good situation to start with, but lets not act like he wasn't THE main reason the Spurs won. TD was by far the main reason we won all those rings. ing joker Rasheed is. Just because you don't like TD or want to hang with him, doesn't mean he isn't better than your sorry wasted talent ass.

KG: 1 ring as 3rd option

TD: 4 rings as 1st option, 1 ring as 2nd best player on the team

this is like saying Harden is better than LeBron
    I will say, though, that during the playoffs, he was the Spurs' best player overall for the whole playoffs. Kawhi was only the best during the finals series. During the regular sesaon, though, you're right, he conceded being the first option.

I love watching thinking basketball but the heavy reliance of +/- was the general basis for having KG over duncan. It could be due to multiple things. The bench players was worse for KG than for Duncan, the entire system designed to be around only one player.

Defence wise duncan and KG were equal in my eyes. KG was more versatile but duncan was more impactful in those days due to the general styles.

KG also didn’t have the low post game required in those days while duncan was a master.

Finally, in terms of leadership KG just isn’t on the same level as Duncan.
    Tim was a superior leader to most of these guys. He might not have had the talent as some of these guys, but he was a superior leader to 95% of them.

Sheed a multiple time recipient of Duncan sending his ass on vacation. Obviously he's not gotten over it.
    Does Rasheed not realize TD's leadership played a big part in elevating those guys that Rasheed is talking about?
    Last edited by Ice009; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:37 AM.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dirk vs KG probably a more interesting debate tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I will say, though, that during the playoffs, he was the Spurs' best player overall for the whole playoffs. Kawhi was only the best during the finals series. During the regular sesaon, though, you're right, he conceded being the first option.
    I agree. Parker was basically first option on offense with Duncan second although Duncan was also the defensive anchor, so technically one could still say he was the best player on the team at that time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At KG's prime.. he was threatening to become the best PF but even then he was a step behind TD in terms of leadership and overall contributions on the court. Playing with a manic at ude helped him personally but I dont think it helped team building. KG is himself on record saying that guys like Rasho Nesterovic wanted to play with TD and did better than he did when he played for the Wolves. That is what separates the all-time greats from the greats - the ability to make your supporting cast and your team much better.

To the folks who said that TD was lucky to play in just one team.. the fact that the Spurs have won all their championships with TD in it and they have been only rebuilding since he left in 2016, suggests how important Duncan was to them. Apart from MJ and since MJ, I think the only player who was crucial to every one of their team's multiple championship rings was Duncan. Even LeBron James had more help than TD ever had.

I give two hoots to what Bonzi Wells says. He was a knucklehead who washed out of the league quickly and was a prime exemplar of the failure of the Jailblazers. Rasheed Wallace, also was. But he had much more talent and could defend TD well on a good day and give him problems. But his career also shows how TD's characteristics are helpful in winning championships. If Wallace had half of TD's calm and half of his compe ive spirit, he would have bottled up his knuckleheadedness and battled more. But it was not to be.

Duncan's character, his leadership, his ability to inspire and motivate his teammates through quiet actions and encouragement and his ability to allow himself to be coached and give leeway to the coach... which help Pop change philosophies in TD's late career... all these helped him five championships and become one of the winningest and most consistent players ever. Even now, TD's mere presence around the Spurs is helping shape the career of another legend in the making in Wemby.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dirk vs KG probably a more interesting debate tbh
    Dirk led his team to a le without running to join forces.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duncan was a team player. If he'd have been the only team scorer, he would have been much more dominant. And the fact that he played within that team concept, took less money, deferred to Tony often times, etc, was part of his greatness. The Beautiful Game existed only because an all-time top 5 let it happen. Pretty pathetic takes from Sheed and Bonzi

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At KG's prime.. he was threatening to become the best PF but even then he was a step behind TD in terms of leadership and overall contributions on the court. Playing with a manic at ude helped him personally but I dont think it helped team building. KG is himself on record saying that guys like Rasho Nesterovic wanted to play with TD and did better than he did when he played for the Wolves. That is what separates the all-time greats from the greats - the ability to make your supporting cast and your team much better.

To the folks who said that TD was lucky to play in just one team.. the fact that the Spurs have won all their championships with TD in it and they have been only rebuilding since he left in 2016, suggests how important Duncan was to them. Apart from MJ and since MJ, I think the only player who was crucial to every one of their team's multiple championship rings was Duncan. Even LeBron James had more help than TD ever had.

I give two hoots to what Bonzi Wells says. He was a knucklehead who washed out of the league quickly and was a prime exemplar of the failure of the Jailblazers. Rasheed Wallace, also was. But he had much more talent and could defend TD well on a good day and give him problems. But his career also shows how TD's characteristics are helpful in winning championships. If Wallace had half of TD's calm and half of his compe ive spirit, he would have bottled up his knuckleheadedness and battled more. But it was not to be.

Duncan's character, his leadership, his ability to inspire and motivate his teammates through quiet actions and encouragement and his ability to allow himself to be coached and give leeway to the coach... which help Pop change philosophies in TD's late career... all these helped him five championships and become one of the winningest and most consistent players ever. Even now, TD's mere presence around the Spurs is helping shape the career of another legend in the making in Wemby.
    Beautifully said. 100% spot on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    (99, 05) Version of "It Still Hurts"

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    Why all the talk about race in this thread? This has nothing to do with race. It's about prime vs career. It's not close in career. In prime, KG was a beast. Sheed thinks year 1 is prime. Prime TD wasn't until 2003ish.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    (99, 05) Version of "It Still Hurts"
    For real. If 0.4 and 6 had been delivered to us by the same team, I'd have an internal hatred for that team's greatest player too.

, Sheed's lucky that 0.4 happened, otherwise we make to finals and probably deny him his only 'chip.

Thread Information