Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed that Posh e is hot, and your right that soccer probably will never compete with the NFL or NBA, but it is trying to make strides and I respect that

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And A Rod wasnt 31 when he got that contract

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    So 45K showed in Salt Lake to see the match and BYU averages 55K+ for each of their home games. Apeshiat? Don't think so.

Marketing? I don't know. I'd hazard a guess that if you took 10 people off the streets and asked them who David Beckham is, maybe 2 could tell you.

Nothing personal, but I just think that the MLS will remain a 3rd tier draw to the average American viewing public.

uh o, salt lake is a small market and getting 45K to see becks in salt lake is pretty damn impressive when real salt lake doesn't even average that for regular season games...becks isn't going to salt lake, he's going to L.A., not necessarily a small market

also, like mardigan said, it'll open the doors for others to check out MLS

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    david beckham will be earnin 50mill a year? > nba/nfl/mlb highest salary....heck he will earn even more jordan will earn.

lots of athletes, including nba ballers today, make more than jordan did back in the day...of course, this does not include endorsements, in which case, jordan collects about 25 mil a year from nike but even then, shumacher, tiger and peyton earn more than jordan and becks is eighth in overall earnings

btw, it's a 50mil/FIVE year deal....OOPS, i mean 250 mil, , my bad
    Last edited by ponky; 01-11-2007 at 05:24 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah I already argued with this guy earlier, and he just stopped posting, so whatever. I agree that that amount of people in UTAH for a soccer game is a HUGE deal. And did you see earlier last year when the MLS all star team without some of their best players beat Everton (I think it was Everton, it could have been Fullham) it was on a sick ass De Rossario goal, the place whent ing crazy, you would have thought it was the world cup. Bottom line is the Beckham signing shows that US soccer is serious about showing that its going to try its hardest too make soccer more popular in the US, and I applaud them for that

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Yeah I already argued with this guy earlier, and he just stopped posting, so whatever. I agree that that amount of people in UTAH for a soccer game is a HUGE deal. And did you see earlier last year when the MLS all star team without some of their best players beat Everton (I think it was Everton, it could have been Fullham) it was on a sick ass De Rossario goal, the place whent ing crazy, you would have thought it was the world cup. Bottom line is the Beckham signing shows that US soccer is serious about showing that its going to try its hardest too make soccer more popular in the US, and I applaud them for that

yup,i agree. i mostly watch setanta sports and intl. stuff but i think i'll go down to houston for the first game of the season between dynamo/galaxy just for fun

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah I already argued with this guy earlier, and he just stopped posting, so whatever.
    Argument? , I was just posting my opinion on the signing.

Is this a sign that MLS is serious about importing better talent? I don't think so, so much. MLS owns the league, teams and the revenue (IIRC) and I'd bet that MLS will have some kind of caveat in Beck's contract that they get a cut of his merchandising ala what Real had (Again, IIRC). I think they're looking to cash in on his marketability worldwide.

Another potential problem I see is that for the average Joe who is expecting Beckham to show up and dominate the game will be severely disappointed as Becks position doesn't lend itself to a lot of scoring.

Like I said before, do I think this signing gives MLS a bump? Absolutely. Do I think that it'll matter in the long term in the landscape of professional sports in America? Not so much.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns...ot=mls&cc=5901
    This is a great article, and when we are stating different opinions I view that as arguing to some extint. I think you were making good valid points and respect your opinion, but I still view it somewhat as arguing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And maybe it wont matter in the long run,maybe it will be the only big signing they ever make and the US will forget jsut as quickly as we made a big deal out of it. All im saying is that it gives soccer theCHANCE to be something more in the US, and more soccer nerds like me, its huge. they just mentioned it on NFL Live, when has NFL Live ever mentioned anything about soccer? Its Already making a difference for the MLS

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yup,i agree. i mostly watch setanta sports and intl. stuff but i think i'll go down to houston for the first game of the season between dynamo/galaxy just for fun
    I went to a couple Dynamo games last year and they are a ton a fun, and Ching and De Rossario kick ass

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mardigan, answer me this, for a true fan how big is this really? So far this year, Real has played something like 9 matches and Becks has only started in 2 of them (I have work contacts all over so it helps to read up on current events that might be of interest to them), he was cut from his national team effectively ending his international career, and from what I've read, comes across as a few tacos short of a Mexican plate.

Again, I am not throwing rocks at soccer, but talent wise, is this that big of a signing?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Talent wise, probably not. Beckams a one trick pony, I know that. But what hes good at he is the best at. The signing is big for the reason that the MLS is front page material for the 1st time ever. For the 1st time ever, players who the MLS could have never had a chance to ever get, might look at the MLS as a viable option. The Rolling Stones might be old and not have any new songs, but people still freak out when they come to town, just like when the Galaxy come to town now. You really should read the article I posted above, it really is good and expresses things better than I ever could

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Beckham going from Real Madrid to Galaxy is like Jeter going from the Yankees (x100) to a baseball team in Spain (if they even play baseball over there). If America wants to leave soccer in the shadows of the major American sports, then all non-American soccer superstars should ignore America.

Soccer will probably NEVER be as big here as it is in other countries; actually, every other country but the US. The majority of the US population is afraid of the rest of the world catching up to them, and it's hard for them to accept that they aren't the best at a certain sport. These past years have been a rude awakening. We lose at tennis, basketball, baseball, hockey, soccer, etc.

Another major factor in this is media coverage. At least Fox Sports (NOT FSC) makes an attempt at covering soccer by showing most important games of the EPL, and that's without buying any extra channels/packages. ESPN shows World Cup every 4 years and SOME CL games, but blocks out the major games (ie Milan v Barcelona semi last year) to PPV. If it wasn't for Galavision, Univision, Telefutura, and Telemundo, we wouldn't see ANY soccer on the weekends. In fact, we'd be stuck with all day poker on ESPN2, the 1978 billiards trick shot championship on ESPN classic, and the latest on Bonds and A ROD and TO and Manning etc on ESPN.

End of rant.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Talent wise, probably not. Beckams a one trick pony, I know that. But what hes good at he is the best at. The signing is big for the reason that the MLS is front page material for the 1st time ever. For the 1st time ever, players who the MLS could have never had a chance to ever get, might look at the MLS as a viable option. The Rolling Stones might be old and not have any new songs, but people still freak out when they come to town, just like when the Galaxy come to town now. You really should read the article I posted above, it really is good and expresses things better than I ever could

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I went to a couple Dynamo games last year and they are a ton a fun, and Ching and De Rossario kick ass
    awesome, i'm looking forward to it...i went to the world cup in germany, actually just lots and lots of bars, couldn't get into a venue, haha....anyway, i'm curious as to how the dynamo games will be, i've been to several games in the bernabeu (real madrid) and it was one of the most amazing sports events i've ever been to because of the atmosphere

Veteran
    My Team
    Denver Nuggets
    Post Count
    If it wasn't for Galavision, Univision, Telefutura, and Telemundo, we wouldn't see ANY soccer on the weekends. In fact, we'd be stuck with all day poker on ESPN2, the 1978 billiards trick shot championship on ESPN classic, and the latest on Bonds and A ROD and TO and Manning etc on ESPN.
    End of rant.

I'd take all of those options over watching a soccer game.

may the force kick yo ass ObiwanGinobili's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don;t know anyone who doesn't know who David Beckham is.

this is huge for MLS, there will def, be an impact.

oh if only he didn;t have to bring his robot wife with him. ....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great, thanks for contributing.

Live by what you Speak. DarkReign's Avatar
    My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    Denver Nuggets
    Post Count
    Great, thanks for contributing.

As opposed to your brilliant contribution?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As opposed to your brilliant contribution?
    How flattering, thanks. Go watch your poker now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well then why are you even on this thread if you hate soccer that much? I love and will always love soccer. The US more than anywhere else is as much about the name as anything, and Beckham being here is great for all of us soccer fans, even if we know that he isnt the same player. People still went to see Jordan on the Wizards, and every place he plays will sell out. Maybe this changes nothing, but as a soccer fan, it gives me a little reason to smile

Live by what you Speak. DarkReign's Avatar
    My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Well then why are you even on this thread if you hate soccer that much? I love and will always love soccer. The US more than anywhere else is as much about the name as anything, and Beckham being here is great for all of us soccer fans, even if we know that he isnt the same player. People still went to see Jordan on the Wizards, and every place he plays will sell out. Maybe this changes nothing, but as a soccer fan, it gives me a little reason to smile
    I wish soccer all the best, just as long as it in no way interferes with my normal sports programing.

Thats why I am posting here. Because the longer soccer fizzles in America, the less I have to care about ever seeing another game on ESPN....ever.

Nothing pisses me off more than the world cup. Intereferes with everything for an audience that isnt even watching.

Veteran
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Supposedly, Adidas is willing to pay half of that 250 million through an endorsement. Thats f'ing hefty.

Does anyone know how many mexicans would pay to see/root for Beckham...I'm guessing more than anyone thinks. And those are just the mexicans.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wast even directing it at you, it was directed at the comment above you. I realize that most people hate soccer, thats fine, but people trying to rain on my parade that dont even care or know anything about the sport is just stupid

Thread Information