Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am not convinced he content going into the season with the set of bigs he has. Your point (and great write up by the way) is correct that what he said at this presser makes it sound that way but I contend the front office is too smart to know they stand pat with this bunch. He may well go into this season with the bigs we have because he is also smart enough not to make a trade, just to make a trade.

As others have said, we have a lot of depth at guard and if the right deal comes along, it would make sense for Neal to be packaged with one of the bigs. Maybe it happens at the trade deadline but they are going to have to thin out the guard depth by the end of training camp.

I don't disagree with your perception that R.C. is going forward with the same crew on the front line going forward but logically the Mr. Spock in me says something will happen.
    Considering the FO has a lot of time to move Bonner and Blair I wouldn't be surprised. Plus, SA never telegraphs its moves. Notice how we didn't get the Green/Diaw/Mills/Duncan re-signings until a few hours before the end of the moratorium?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    6. The Matt Bonner Era Continues
    The possibility of trading or even amnesthizing Matt Bonner has been bandied about since the copper-capped regular season marksman once again shot blanks in the playoffs. That dream, though, appears to be just that -- a dream. Buford, when discussing whether the Spurs need to add to their collection of bigmen, didn't hesitate to include Bonner when explaining the strength of the roster makeup.

Said Buford: "As far as our big rotation, we don't have Dwight Howard but between Tim, Tiago, DeJuan, Matt and hopefully Boris, I'm not sure what our needs are there. We'd love to have an All-Star center but there are only two or three of those. Short of that, we have a diverse group that fits a lot of needs."

He didn't sound like a general manager who is concerned about adding an impact bigman; Buford sounds like a GM who is satisfied with the bigmen depth and will allow the coaches to figure out how the pieces fit.
    Of all the things Buford had to say, THIS is perhaps THE most disturbing. As far as the big rotation, he's not sure what their needs are? Are you kidding me? Did he not watch the WCFs versus the Thunder? Did he not watch the manner in which the Grizzlies bullied the Spurs in the paint in that epic playoff upset a year ago?

By now, it is evident to everyone involved - including all Spurs opponents - that Bonner isn't a strength, but an established liability - especially come playoff time. It's also no secret that Duncan is getting older. As such, he needs additional help, as opposed to trying to prop up a severly-limited cast of undersized bigs, such as what the Spurs currently have in place.

As a GM, I know that Buford can't show his hand and one can only hope that all this prattle about Bonner and the Spurs frontcourt is only GM-speak. This is a smart front office and logic tells me that they cannot seriously believe this team is well-equipped enough in the frontcourt to contend with the likes of OKC and the Fakers. I just cannot believe that they seriously are ready to ride another year with a severly limited, playoff-choker, like Bonner.

Because if I'm wrong and if Buford truly believes this team's frontcourt rotation is fine as currently constructed, then he's as delusional as Jerry Jones - and that goes for Pop too. Then they will have truly wasted the final years of Duncan's brilliant career.

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    Such depressing news about Bonner and Blair.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I won't read as much into what RC is saying, especially with Spurs being fine with their bigmen. If Spurs want to improve their roster, it will likely be through a trade. They must avoid to appear like a team with needs because it will put them in a situation of weakness to negotiate a trade.

IMO, aside of the good news around Duncan health and motivation and James Anderson likely not coming back, there are very little to take from this interview.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep, and RC doesn't seem to be the guy to telegraph moves simply because it puts the organization in a weak bargaining position.

Everyone wanted RJ out after he flamed out (hehe) in the playoffs, to the point everyone wanted him amnestied. Then bam, Golden State decides to tank, Milwaukee decides to acquire more firepower for a mid-season playoff push, and SA decides to get Captain Jack for Jefferson for only a first rounder. And then Charlotte waives a fat, unhappy Diaw and the Spurs swoop in and make him a playoff starter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the Matt Bonner situation is absolutely gut wrenching.

At this point we need to pray to the basketball gods that Bonner starts the season shooting 80% threes, his value reaches a temporary peak, and some pacer/golden statesque team wants to trade for him.

The log jam at guard is dumb, there's got to be more they can do to balance out this roster.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So CIA...I love it!!

Get ready to see a trade involving 2 or 3 current Spurs players....

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I won't read as much into what RC is saying, especially with Spurs being fine with their bigmen. If Spurs want to improve their roster, it will likely be through a trade. They must avoid to appear like a team with needs because it will put them in a situation of weakness to negotiate a trade.
    The goods.

The Spurs aren't just going to come out and bad mouth their assets. Perhaps they will roll with what they have, but if they weren't going to they most certainly would not come out and say "this player" or "that player" that is currently under contract and part of the rotation is no longer part of the plan.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the write up.

I'm hoping Blair has an amazing stint with the Olympic squad to up his value.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree. However for most us who've watched the Rocky Bonner Horror Show for the past four seasons, it's extremely plausible to think that Buford and Pop too, for that matter, will stand pat.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree. However for most us who've watched the Rocky Bonner Horror Show for the past four seasons, it's extremely plausible to think that Buford and Pop too, for that matter, will stand pat.
    Given the assets available to make changes, that's entirely possible.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    RC usually isn't CIA. He's more of an avoider than someone who will say erroneous info to throw the press off the scent. It's not CIA Buford for a reason, tbh.

We can all hope that there's more to it but RC is usually WYSIWYG.

If it was Pop saying these things, that'd be totally different . . .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    RC usually isn't CIA. He's more of an avoider than someone who will say erroneous info to throw the press off the scent. It's not CIA Buford for a reason, tbh.

We can all hope that there's more to it but RC is usually WYSIWYG.

If it was Pop saying these things, that'd be totally different . . .
    Whether CIA or WYSIWYG, the bottom line is the same. The Spurs have put together a full roster that sits barely under the tax threshold. Any improvements to the big rotation will come from a minimum salary signing or a trade involving some of the players at the bottom of the roster. Either way, no reason to expect or project significant improvement.

So while they may be working towards improvement in that area, it can't be a realistic priority since they don't have the assets that are normally associated with acquiring a significant player.

real fans go bald mountainballer's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs will likely wait till free agency and amnesty moves have cooled down. which will be about one more week.
    once the dust settles, there might be some teams left, with the need to fill/balance the roster. the fact that the Spurs roster is stacked, they are the perfect trade partner for 2/3/4 for 1 trades with teams that need to fill the roster. just look at the teams that will likely face this situation. (Suns? Blazers?)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I was hoping that all the signings would push the payroll up against the limits of the apron and either force an amnesty or at least make it too financially attractive to resist. It appears, however, that the Spurs have figured out how to fit all the contracts into the budget. Too bad.

If the player was a first round draft pick, just completed the second year of his rookie scale contract, and his team did not exercise its option for the third season (see question number 48), then the team cannot use the Early Bird exception to re-sign him to a salary greater than he would have received had the team exercised its option. In other words, teams can't decline an option year in order to get around the rookie salary scale and give the player more money.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q25
    Ah, but this is all about the rules on giving the player more money. Could the team offer less money than was the scale on his original rookie contract? I don't think Anderson has proved he's worth that much money.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ah, but this is all about the rules on giving the player more money. Could the team offer less money than was the scale on his original rookie contract? I don't think Anderson has proved he's worth that much money.
    Of course. They can offer him any amount between the minimum salary for a third year player and the amount he was due to receive in the third year of his rookie contract. I thought that was perfectly clear, sorry for any confusion.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess it's like that: Neal will be gone either via trade for a future 2nd round pick, or he will be cut. Denmon will be talked into a year or two in Europe. Spurs have their connctions, this will help to find a team for him.
    Neal should be too valuable a trade asset to be cut, shouldn't he? He is a proven shooter, and there are always teams who need players like that, especially if they won't get/demand too much money.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doesn't it sound like if they make any trades, it would be during the regular season? I guess we're going to have to be patient and it may be the smartest move to increase Bonner's stock. As we all know, Bonner only shows up in the regular season and maybe some team will get suckered into him after he hits a few threes against the Bobcats, Kings, and Pistons. We can only hope.

real fans go bald mountainballer's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Neal should be too valuable a trade asset to be cut, shouldn't he? He is a proven shooter, and there are always teams who need players like that, especially if they won't get/demand too much money.
    if Spurs think DeColo can deliver same or more and with Mills taking backup PG minutes, Neal won't see many minutes.
    Neal's contract isn't guarranteed.
    that's 850K that come off the books.
    and the Spurs have a history to not block a player's way, if he could find a better place/deal somewhere else. if they cut him, he will no doubt get some decent offers and more PT, instead of rotting at the end of the bench.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if Spurs think DeColo can deliver same or more and with Mills taking backup PG minutes, Neal won't see many minutes.
    Neal's contract isn't guarranteed.
    that's 850K that come off the books.
    and the Spurs have a history to not block a player's way, if he could find a better place/deal somewhere else. if they cut him, he will no doubt get some decent offers and more PT, instead of rotting at the end of the bench.
    I still don't think they cut him regardless of his contract situation. The Spurs are under the tax line with everyone signed so cutting a player that could be useful as a trade sweetener doesn't make much sense.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs will attempt to make a trade to add another frontline player. Lorbek was not the player that fit their plans. They really never wanted Lorbek this year anyways.

I expect the Spurs to target a defensive big . That doesn't mean the Spurs will pull it off(trade) but there is a high chance that they will get the player they are looking for to round out the roster.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    spurs have always been patient, just lurking around until a good deal pops up. that's how they picked up jackson and diaw last season. it's a good strategy except the spurs get worse every year due to the declining big 3. even at their absolute best last year and some luck, they couldn't get past the thunder. the spurs can't keep up with the other teams without making a larger splash. but of course that comes with higher stakes, which i think the management is unwilling to gamble.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    spurs have always been patient, just lurking around until a good deal pops up. that's how they picked up jackson and diaw last season. it's a good strategy except the spurs get worse every year due to the declining big 3. even at their absolute best last year and some luck, they couldn't get past the thunder. the spurs can't keep up with the other teams without making a larger splash. but of course that comes with higher stakes, which i think the management is unwilling to gamble.
    The Spurs played far and away the best basketball in the league.
    Textbook team basketball. Not even close.
    Why should they change?
    Winning the le is a totally different thing, and requires assets Spurs will not have for a long time, no matter what they do.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The 1 thing we learned should sum it up:
    Said Buford: "As far as our big rotation, we don't have Dwight Howard but between Tim, Tiago, DeJuan, Matt and hopefully Boris, I'm not sure what our needs are there.
    ---------------------------------------------

spurspokesman
    Classic case of doing the same thing and expecting a different result. Most believe a full training camp will make us better. I agree but it will also make the thunder better and every other nba team so in the end you have the same result. Shame that A world class FO couldnt string together a tough big with defensive tools in nearly six years. I get it we have a shoe string budget but man did they drop the ball on a few good bigs.
    Well said. We could hope for Coach Numb Nutts to include more Splitter. Day late and million dollars short but if Duncs can stay healthy at least maybe we'll see some Duncs/Splitter action together.

Thread Information