Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LeBron James - Kevin Durant - Michael Jordan - Scottie Pippen - Kevin Garnett

for example would beat

John Stockton - Steve Nash - Michael Jordan - Tim Duncan - Shaquille O'Neal.

See my point? If you're going to be out of position, you want a traditional wing man playing PG and C. You do not traditional small PGs and big Centers having to play out of position.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did you forget that prime Shaq is a mismatch for your entire team? He would score the ball on every single possession.
    I don't think you'd be able to even feed the ball into Shaq. My team is 5 guys of 7'3 wingspan or more. They would be able to dig in and double and recover better than anyone.

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    However, the current model of the NBA is soft pussies that run up and down fast and draw fouls.
    No, the current model of the NBA is ball movement on offense and an emphasis on team defense over individual D.... sorry that selfish, inefficient isoballers like your boy Kirby are obsolete

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, the current model of the NBA is ball movement on offense and an emphasis on team defense over individual D.... sorry that selfish, inefficient isoballers like your boy Kirby are obsolete
    Clipper Nation, you're making my point man. If the current model of the NBA is ball movement, how do you have ball movement if it suddenly stops if it gets to the hands of Bogut, Oden, Perkins, DeAndre? And also, if the emphasis is on team defence, then how can you allow weak points in your 'team' defence that can be exploited aka Nash / Paul in the post and/or a big slow guy defending the P&R? The best team defence is 5 guys who can do somewhat of an adequate job defending all areas of the court. And best ball movement scheme is if 5 guys can all pass and shoot and move.

That's the type of roster I'm arguing for. All 5 guys 6'6-6'10 with 7'2-7'5 wingspans weighing 200-240 lbs. Example:

Jimmy Butler
    Paul George
    Carmelo Anthony
    LeBron James
    Kevin Durant
    Kawhi Leonard
    Chris Bosh
    Kevin Garnett

Would destroy any combination of players under 6'3 and under 200 lbs and over 6'10 and over 300 lbs. Cause these guys by definition are NOT versatile and cannot defend 5 positions!

Chris Paul Steve Nash Bob Cousy John Stockton Shaq Divac Sabonis Yao.
    Last edited by Gino-Step; 03-23-2014 at 08:33 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LeBron James - Kevin Durant - Michael Jordan - Scottie Pippen - Kevin Garnett

for example would beat

John Stockton - Steve Nash - Michael Jordan - Tim Duncan - Shaquille O'Neal.

See my point? If you're going to be out of position, you want a traditional wing man playing PG and C. You do not traditional small PGs and big Centers having to play out of position.
    Yeah that's because LeBron/KD are way better than Stockton and Nash overall, not because they're PGs. And why the do you have Nash and Stockton in the backcourt? You are taking a very re ed angle to make a decent point about spacing

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Clipper Nation, you're making my point man. If the current model of the NBA is ball movement, how do you have ball movement if it suddenly stops if it gets to the hands of Bogut, Oden, Perkins, DeAndre?
    Way to cherrypick some of the most offensively-challenged centers in the league to make your point.... meanwhile, a center like Noah who can pass the ball doesn't hurt ball movement at all, so of course, you completely ignore that....

That's like if I cherrypicked a chucker like Rudy Gay to claim that small forwards suck and don't win championships

And also, if the emphasis is on team defence, then how can you allow weak points in your 'team' defence that can be exploited aka Nash / Paul in the post and/or a big slow guy defending the P&R?
    Team defense doesn't mean you have zero weaknesses, it means that the rest of the team can cover for your weak points by knowing where they're supposed to be....

The best team defence is 5 guys who can do somewhat of an adequate job defending all areas of the court.
    I would say CP3 is a more-than-adequate defender for his position, so I'm not seeing your point here.... just because someone is a point guard doesn't mean they automatically can't play defense....

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice that you excluded the best PG and C example out of your equation because you don't consider Magic a PG because he was to big. Way to cater to your point. Magic and Kareem crush your argument. And maybe you want look at Isiah Thomas and Bill Lamibeer. The Pistons won those les because of a PG and C.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Way to cherrypick some of the most offensively-challenged centers in the league to make your point.... meanwhile, a center like Noah who can pass the ball doesn't hurt ball movement at all, so of course, you completely ignore that....

That's like if I cherrypicked a chucker like Rudy Gay to claim that small forwards suck and don't win championships

Team defense doesn't mean you have zero weaknesses, it means that the rest of the team can cover for your weak points by knowing where they're supposed to be....

I would say CP3 is a more-than-adequate defender for his position, so I'm not seeing your point here.... just because someone is a point guard doesn't mean they automatically can't play defense....
    I like PGs like Livingston and C's like Bosh. What I'm saying is I want my 5 guys to be positionless as much as possible. People who can seriously only play either the PG or C position are useless. I like Noah too. I like Splitter cause they can defend guards when needed. Shaq and Brook Lopez cannot for example.

Teams that have defined strengths and defined weaknesses will be exploited in the advanced stats age. The best way to cover for that is to have 5 guys who are roughly the same. The best chance of that is to have have players with the quickness, shooting, and passing of smaller guys, but the length, and rebounding of taller guys. LeBron and Durant are the best of this breed. George, Kawhi, Butler, Livingston, are examples of the next tier. The players with the least versatility aka Shaq, Yao, Nash, Stockton etc are the ones you want to avoid regardless of how good they post up or how good they rebound or how good they pass or how good they shoot. You want to avoid being exploitable. In a 7 game series with today's level of scouting, ANYTHING can be exploited.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice that you excluded the best PG and C example out of your equation because you don't consider Magic a PG because he was to big. Way to cater to your point. Magic and Kareem crush your argument. And maybe you want look at Isiah Thomas and Bill Lamibeer. The Pistons won those les because of a PG and C.
    Thats from several decades ago. I'm saying in today's NBA where it's possible to have do-it-all players with more rounded skillets, you want to have them. Otherwise you will get exploited by other teams who have them.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And how about the last time the Pistons won a le and beat a Laker team with Billups and Ben Wallace as the PG and C? Billups winning the Finals MVP.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tony Parker winning the last Spurs le MVP.

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    In a 7 game series with today's level of scouting, ANYTHING can be exploited.
    Yes, and that includes your ideal team's lack of a dependable scoring threat besides Durant

You claim to want positionless basketball, but then you write off two specific positions entirely.... do positions matter or do they not? You can't have it both ways....

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And how about the last time the Pistons won a le and beat a Laker team with Billups and Ben Wallace as the PG and C? Billups winning the Finals MVP.
    Billups was a big guard and Ben Wallace was 6'6 who can defend all areas reasonably well. You're making my point. I don't care if they were labeled a C or not. I care about were they a C that could defend a SF or SG. Were they a PG who could defend a SF or PF.

In the advanced stats age, you cannot afford to have ANOMALIES. Aka players who can only defend certain types. Cause Golden State will post up Harrison Barnes on Tony Parker and put Klay Thompson on him. San Antonio will post up Steph Curry and put Danny Green on him.

What are you going to do to Kawhi, LeBron, George, Durant, Jimmy Butler?

I'm talking about body type and versatility. Not whether they are PG or C's.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    PG + Center teams don't win

magic and kareem

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Why does everything end with "Kirby" for you? Jesus Christ salty saltenator get it together man. I swear we can post about how the weather is nice in LA and you will respond " Good it can help heal Kobe's achilles faster "

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, and that includes your ideal team's lack of a dependable scoring threat besides Durant

You claim to want positionless basketball, but then you write off two specific positions entirely.... do positions matter or do they not? You can't have it both ways....
    Who said I wrote off two positions? I have Sean Livingston playing POINT GUARD. And I have Chris Bosh playing CENTER. My point is Sean Livingston and Chris Bosh can switch roles and you would be decently OK with Chris Bosh playing point and Sean Livingston playing centre. If you had Magic at PG and LeBron at C and you switched roles, you'd be decently ok.

If you had Nash and Bogut, you'd be FKED. Chris Paul at Center and Blake Griffen at PG? you'd be FKED. That's what I'm trying to argue. The traditional PGs and the traditional C's are not what you want.

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    I especially love how OP arbitrarily lists ringless 2/3/4 combinations like Harden/Durant/Ibaka, Stephenson/George/West, and Ginobili/Kawhi/Diaw as "winners" but writes Blake/CP3 and Bogut/Curry off as "losers" already....

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Billups was a big guard and Ben Wallace was 6'6 who can defend all areas reasonably well. You're making my point. I don't care if they were labeled a C or not. I care about were they a C that could defend a SF or SG. Were they a PG who could defend a SF or PF.

In the advanced stats age, you cannot afford to have ANOMALIES. Aka players who can only defend certain types. Cause Golden State will post up Harrison Barnes on Tony Parker and put Klay Thompson on him. San Antonio will post up Steph Curry and put Danny Green on him.

All you are trying to do is twist anything against your argument into your favor. Why not just debate yourself? Less stress.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    PG + Center teams don't win

magic and kareem
    Again, Magic is not a PG. Magic would have done fine as a PF, as a C, as a SF.

My argument is about non versatile players: Nash, Stockton, Chris Paul Shaq, Dwight, Bynum Oden etc.

Your non-versatility gets exploited.

Jordan, Pippen, Durant, LeBron, Kawhi, are relatively versatile. You need your whole team to be as versatile as possible. That way you can run a positionless offence and defence and not be exploited on cross-matches.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OP wants to twist any facts we provide against his argument into his favor. OP should just argue with himself......less stress that way.

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    My point is Sean Livingston and Chris Bosh can switch roles and you would be decently OK with Chris Bosh playing point and Sean Livingston playing centre.
    Nobody with a brain in their head would be okay with Bosh at PG and Livingston at center, are you nuts?

I'd rather have Blake at PG than Bosh - Blake actually has decent handles and can pass the ball

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Magic is not a PG

please define what a point guard is, and no, "the shortest guy in the starting lineup" is not the answer

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not making this up. Just look at basic roster construction across the NBA.

NBA ball is becoming more like Euro-ball / FIBA / Olympic ball. Look at the types of rosters USA is trying to put together. Anthony Davis, Kevin Love, Chris Bosh as versatile bigs.

Would you rather have a lineup of LeBron, Durant, Kawhi, Carmelo and Paul George or would you rather have a lineup of CP3, Derrick Rose, Russell Westbrook, Dwight Howard, and Tim Duncan. You want 5 guys who can all replace each other and guard anyone.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Ben Wallace was 6'6? LMAO! Epic fail.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

please define what a point guard is, and no, "the shortest guy in the starting lineup" is not the answer
    He's not in the sense that he could have played PF. Just like LeBron is not in the sense he could have and is playing PF.

Nash is a PG. He wouldn't even make college basketball as a PF.

That's what I mean by versatility.

Magic was a PG but not limited to being one. Nash was a PG and limited to being just that which is why you could exploit him and force him to guard a PF off a switch on a Pick & Roll.

Thread Information