Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Turiaf, IMO, would not work well with Splitter, better with Duncan.

Im sure though Bonner won't lose any minutes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Going by Pops track record the last few years Turiaf would end up taking minutes from Tiago. Highly doubtful Pop would start Turiaf, it's quite obvious he doesn't like the Splitter/TD starting lineup leaving Blair to continue to get minutes. Diaw would at least assure Blair to the bench seeing that he is a much better offensive fit next to Duncan in the starting lineup - something Pop is obviously fond of.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hmmm... I hate it when people use logic, and make me think and stuff. JK. It's the big reason I come here. I actually had to think about your question for a minute.

You've got some good points. My problem with Turiaf is that I don't see him as a high BBIQ guy, to say the least. And you only have to look at his numbers to see that he really doesn't rebound very well. And I don't have any memory of him coming out and setting quality picks like, say, Fabbs. He doesn't pass out of the post for , so forget about assists.

On the other hand, he is a banger, which we could use. He blocks shots fairly regularly, which we could use. And when he does clean something up around the basket, he doesn't go up with those sissy lay-ins (that our guys miss with some regularity). And he's got legitimate 6'10" height, while Diaw is another 6'8" guy in the low blocks, which I'm sick of.

I guess I have the idea that Diaw is more steady, and Turiaf is more streaky. When Turiaf is having a good night (especially against a lesser team) he chest-pounds and yells, and makes sure that's the way you remember him. I still remember too many nights when he couldn't do .

I don't know... your comments reminded me of what we're really missing. Not just another guy in the middle, but a guy who is big and strong enough to legitimately play C, and defend other legitimate bigs. There's a reason Diaw was making $9M this year, and Turiaf was making $4M. But I guess that's immaterial, if one meets our needs better. I'll say this much - if we sign Turiaf, I won't at all. At least not until he starts whiffing boards, and failing to set picks. And maybe not even then, if he can actually defend like he's capable of.
    And if the Spurs ended up getting Diaw, I wouldn't either. Though, I've successfully talked myself into wanting Turiaf slightly more.

Both these guys have their share of baggage. With Turiaf, it's his history of health issues. With Diaw, it's his RJ-like, lethargic, on-court play and his eternal love of pastries.

Realistically, I'd like to see the Spurs get a big that can do two things: 1. Give them solid contribution to mitigate Duncan's skill-level decline. 2. Become a solid role player beyond this season. That said, I don't know if either of these guys totally fit the bill, but I'd sure take my chances on either for the stretch drive.

For that matter, if getting either one of these guys means Bonner's minutes are reduced - even slightly - count me in.

Pop took his brain back. xellos88330's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't care who it is. If there is a player who can defend the post w/o needing much help and has the ability to block shots and make players think twice before bringing the ball into the paint, then so be it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Going by Pops track record the last few years Turiaf would end up taking minutes from Tiago. Highly doubtful Pop would start Turiaf, it's quite obvious he doesn't like the Splitter/TD starting lineup leaving Blair to continue to get minutes. Diaw would at least assure Blair to the bench seeing that he is a much better offensive fit next to Duncan in the starting lineup - something Pop is obviously fond of.

Problem I see here is Duncan doesn't operate in the low post much these days anymore. The way things have evolved, Diaw and Duncan are not an optimal fit together. Circa 1999-2007 I'd say go for it. But not so much anymore. With Duncan doing most of his damage out past the free throw line these days, Blair is quite honestly the better fit offensively.

So if we're going the Diaw route, upgrading Blair with Splitter in the starting lineup is the way to go. Diaw would be then replace Bonner in the 2nd unit and run with Blair. But this is also assuming Diaw would be a better defender than Bonner.

But like you said, Pop is dead set against the Splitter-Duncan pairing for some unknown reason.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    While that's true. I think you will see Duncan playing a lot more inside once the game slows down and the playoffs start. I think him playing outside during the regular season is somewhat planned to help him take less of a beating. He will definitely have to run more 4 down once the playoffs begin.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    [TD21]Turiaf is a great outside shooter though[/TD21]

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Turiaf addresses a need, unline Diaw, despite the latter being more talented.

Any chance the Spurs got wind on someone else, apart from these two, who could be released and would eventually target?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would signing Turiaf make Diaw more likely to sign? It's possible. Then again, maybe Diaw wouldn't want to "steal" minutes from his friend and will look to sign somewhere else.

Turiaf vs. Diaw is a great debate. Especially since Turiaf is now available and Diaw might not be available until the offseason. Both sides bring up great points, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Problem I see here is Duncan doesn't operate in the low post much these days anymore. The way things have evolved, Diaw and Duncan are not an optimal fit together. Circa 1999-2007 I'd say go for it. But not so much anymore. With Duncan doing most of his damage out past the free throw line these days, Blair is quite honestly the better fit offensively.
    That is a true statement. Except for a few isolated opportunities per game, Duncan has morphed into an elbow playing big.
    So if we're going the Diaw route, upgrading Blair with Splitter in the starting lineup is the way to go. Diaw would be then replace Bonner in the 2nd unit and run with Blair. But this is also assuming Diaw would be a better defender than Bonner.
    Diaw replace Bonner in the 2nd unit? It's a delicious proposition, but I can't see it happening as long as Pop is coach. , Bonner plays too many minutes as it is - no matter how many defensive assignment and rotations he botches.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    While that's true. I think you will see Duncan playing a lot more inside once the game slows down and the playoffs start. I think him playing outside during the regular season is somewhat planned to help him take less of a beating. He will definitely have to run more 4 down once the playoffs begin.
    Really bad idea IMO. Duncan will not last past the 2nd round if the spurs are going to be relying heavily on him for most of their post points.

That's where Splitter comes in. Problem is, thanks to Pop's bizarre procrastination strategy, Tiago will enter the playoffs with very little polish on his game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    **conspiracy theory**

Maybe CHA out of spite doesn't want to buyout Diaw knowing he wants the Spurs. Perhaps signing Turiaf will lead them to believe Spurs are out of the picture and they'll let him go and Spurs can have both.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only way Turiaf could get minutes with Spurs is Pop starting Splitter/Duncan and have Bonner/Turiaf as backups. When you see how little Pop has paired Duncan with Splitter, I doubt it's his plan.

IMO, Spurs really want and have a good chance at getting Diaw.
    Duncan/Diaw, Splitter/Bonner with Blair being the fifth big!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My account has finally been approved!!!!!! Spursfan living in Indy!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    He's not the all-around player that Diaw is, but he is has size and he's far more aggressive. While I haven't seen him play recently, he can rebound and defend in the post. I have to believe that he'd be a servicable option for what the Spurs need at this time. I'd feel more comfortable going into physical playoff series with him as a 5th big - especially against a team like the Fakers, Mavs or Grizzlies.
    Turiaf is no larger than Blair, and in fact is just a hairier, smellier, worse rebounding version of him. He would be of absolutely NO help against Memphis or the LAL.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Turiaf is no larger than Blair, and in fact is just a hairier, smellier, worse rebounding version of him. He would be of absolutely NO help against Memphis or the LAL.
    But this is the byproduct of having to watch guys like Blair and Bonner massacred on a daily basis. A semi-scrub that knows how to block a shot starts looking like Wilt, tbh

My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count

But like you said, Pop is dead set against the Splitter-Duncan pairing for some unknown reason.
    Really bad idea IMO. Duncan will not last past the 2nd round if the spurs are going to be relying heavily on him for most of their post points.

That's where Splitter comes in. Problem is, thanks to Pop's bizarre procrastination strategy, Tiago will enter the playoffs with very little polish on his game.
    Someone said that you don't watch the games, and I'm really starting to believe that. Tim has already slid comfortably back into the post over the past dozen games. Playing 30 something games plus the playoffs is less than half the wear of playing 82 games plus playoffs.

My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    But this is the byproduct of having to watch guys like Blair and Bonner massacred on a daily basis. A semi-scrub that knows how to block a shot starts looking like Wilt, tbh
    His offense is more of a train wreck that DeJuan's, though. SA actually declines the O glass to get back, taking out his only effective scoring means.

I don't think you can play on this team if you can't pass the ball effectively.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree, that's Spurs/Pop plan.

Welcome on ST.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Someone said that you don't watch the games, and I'm really starting to believe that. Tim has already slid comfortably back into the post over the past dozen games. Playing 30 something games plus the playoffs is less than half the wear of playing 82 games plus playoffs.
    So what Timmy has played a handful of games mixing in a few post moves. You honestly are trying to tell us the spurs will be able to ride that through the entire playoffs? This isn't 2003 anymore. I think you need to let off the crackpipe some, son.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His offense is more of a train wreck that DeJuan's, though. SA actually declines the O glass to get back, taking out his only effective scoring means.

I don't think you can play on this team if you can't pass the ball effectively.
    Turiaf averages more assists in less minutes, go figure. Just say no, man.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Turiaf is taller than Blair (the combine measurements just aren't that far off), but not as much as I thought. I thought he was legitimately 6'10", but there's no way.

Damn I'm sick of undersized bigs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Make it happen

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Knowing Parker to be 6'3", visually it appears Turiaf is around 6'9" and Diaw @ 6'7".

Both undersized, but still 6'9" > 6'7"

Thread Information