Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Waitwaitwait...

You guys actually pay for theatre food? Bring that in!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Waitwaitwait...

I went to a movie with friends today, and we smuggled in candy. Reminds me of an old Steven Wright bit...

"I went to the movie today, and was thrown out for bringing in my own food. My argument was that concession prices are outrageous. Besides, I haven't cooked BBQ in a long time."

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I would be hard to price it at $30-40 based on the assumption people will be gathering in large masses to watch the movies. I can see it happening that way, but I don't think it will do well.
    How else are movies going to gross $100-200 million? How would Avatar II gross its necessary $1 billion? Like I said, the production costs aren't going down.

Linger Ficking Good! CuckingFunt's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    VHS will kill movie theaters.
    Betamax will kill movie theaters.
    Laserdisc will kill movie theaters.
    DVD will kill movie theaters.
    HD-DVD will kill movie theaters.
    Blu-ray will kill movie theaters.
    You forgot one. The development of television was also supposed to kill movie theaters.

And movie theaters themselves were going to kill stage productions.

I would be hard to price it at $30-40 based on the assumption people will be gathering in large masses to watch the movies. I can see it happening that way, but I don't think it will do well.
    At which point the movie studios politely tell you to off back to the theaters if you don't want to pay $30+ to legally watch something in your own home. As Shoog suggested, the cost of production isn't going down. Will Smith can't make his $20M+ per picture if people are able to gather a large group in front of their big screen TV and watch a first run movie for ten dollars.

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    You forgot one. The development of television was also supposed to kill movie theaters.

And movie theaters themselves were going to kill stage productions.

actually that was tyler perry

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The difference is that in none of these instances were the movie companies themselves actively trying to kill the theaters.

Allegedly they will be now.

Me, there's no way I want to see Iron Man 2 for the first time anyplace but at the big ol' Bijoux.

Linger Ficking Good! CuckingFunt's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    The difference is that in none of these instances were the movie companies themselves actively trying to kill the theaters.

Allegedly they will be now.
    I think if anything they're trying to kill, or at least slow, piracy by providing an option to the people who download pirated flicks due to convenience rather than an intentional desire to steal. If there are more people out there like me -- the only times I've ever been even remotely tempted to illegally download films has been when smaller pictures didn't make it to theaters near me -- it actually may not be a bad idea.

Me, there's no way I want to see Iron Man 2 for the first time anyplace but at the big ol' Bijoux.
    Same here. And I don't think you and I are unique in that regard, which is why I don't predict that this or any other alternative option is going to completely kill the theaters. As long as people go on dates, there will be an audience.

Govt, stay away!
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Alabama Crimson Tide
    Personally I like going out to a theatre on a summer day and doing movie marathons. See. One go to lunch see two more go to dinner see two more call it a night.

Plus you can only spend so much freaking time at home before you go ing nuts....

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    this is bad new guys, the amount of supervillians is gonna quadruple if the movie theaters go out of business, every other abandoned movie theater is going to have a super villian reside in it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    this is bad new guys, the amount of supervillians is gonna quadruple if the movie theaters go out of business, every other abandoned movie theater is going to have a super villian reside in it.
    I'm not even sure this made sense, but I lol'd.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Waitwaitwait...

I sneak food in, pfffft.

Name
    Eliza S.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I sneak food in, pfffft.
    That's what the big purse is for.

Seriously - the theatre we go to is up to $8 per person for the early shows. No way I'm paying an additional $20 for popcorn, snacks, drink.

We stop at the WalMart next door, get the candy for $2, and maybe buy a soda or popcorn there to split. No one asks to see your purse if you buy the soda. Though I always request no ice (because I don't want a 20 oz cup of ice for $4.50, thanks), and get a dirty look.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    With a cooler compartment for drinks.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I'm with Heath on this one. I got a projector/surround sound setup at home that blows away the blurry screen and popping speakers at some of the better theatres around town. Add in the cost of concessions and I say to with them. Maybe if I wanted to experience a blockbuster in 3D or make it a 'social' type of thing, I couldn't see myself EVER preferring a theatre over my own theatre room.

There are movies that I haven't seen that I would probably stream if it was available now. But since it isn't, I usually wait for them to come out for rent and then how much of my monthly subscription do they get? I'm sure I'm not the only one in the same boat. I could see myself having a bunch of people over and streaming Toy Story 3. The pricing would be the thing though..... would I be willing to s out an impulse $20-$40 to show a first run? Maybe, depending on the movie....

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

Seriously - the theatre we go to is up to $8 per person for the early shows. No way I'm paying an additional $20 for popcorn, snacks, drink.

We stop at the WalMart next door, get the candy for $2, and maybe buy a soda or popcorn there to split. No one asks to see your purse if you buy the soda. Though I always request no ice (because I don't want a 20 oz cup of ice for $4.50, thanks), and get a dirty look.
    My sister made hot dogs one time. OMG...she had all the condiments too. All you heard was the aluminum foil.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    I say the movie theaters, ive got a projector with 110" hi def screen and surround sound and can have snacks and drinks for less than $5.

I'm disgusted by the greed of not only the movie companies but the theaters as well. Id rather get raped a bit on the movie than paying $8 for a bucket of popcorn that costs them about .15-.20 cents in popcorn kernels. And $5 or $6 for a soda that cost about .30 cents in syrup.

I welcome this change. I hope movie theaters get destroyed by this.

ultimately it will just be the cheap movies that are made available. it would not be cheap either. probably about 20.00 a pop or you would have to get a monthly service. and what would the cable providers have to pay as well?

bandwagon hater
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I could see the charge easily being the price of current PPV events... $44.95.... but no more than that.

I dont see this effecting theatres to the point where they start shutting down, but $44.95 is an enticing price if you have more than 4 people wanting to watch a new release.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    I could see the charge easily being the price of current PPV events... $44.95.... but no more than that.

I dont see this effecting theatres to the point where they start shutting down, but $44.95 is an enticing price if you have more than 4 people wanting to watch a new release.
    that is very possible. the thing is that the studios will probably only do this for non blockbuster releases.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    half (or more?) of the good quality illegal downloads are screeners from the studios themselves...

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    the good theaters will adapt and survive. They always do.

Setting up full service bars and restaurants where you can hang out before or after the movie is a good start.

They are also starting to add the tremble seats to help give movies a more realistic feel.

I have a coupon for that. CheapBastard's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    When I go to the movies I'm ready.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    When I go to the movies I'm ready.

Joe Chalupa finally busts out a troll.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I'm not even sure this made sense, but I lol'd.

sure it does every cartoon i saw as a kid the villain's hideout was in an abandoned theater, joker, two face, the riddler, all of them .

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    See, I'm old school, where the villain was always in some building with a tilted floor.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    See, I'm old school, where the villain was always in some building with a tilted floor.

yeah you are old that went out with studio 54

Thread Information