Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm hardly surprised there's planning for such contingencies, would be more surprised if there wasn't, tbh.
    If you attack, we will defend - that's one contingency

We reserve the right to attack first because we think you might do something bad - that's another contingency

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't worry. No way Obama attacks Iran. He's just talking tough trying to counteract his anti-Israel image with Jewish voters.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Nothing to see here. Military planners are always putting together scenarios that might be needed. that doesn't mean there is any intent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A recent poll found that 58 percent of American Jews approve of President Obama’s handling of the relationship between the U.S.and Israel,as opposed to 40 percent who disapprove.

The poll, which was published by the American Jewish Committee, reveals that the majority of the community will vote for President Obama in November.

According to the poll, 61% of U.S. Jews support Obama, 28% support his Republican rival Mitt Romney and 11% are undecided. A survey published about a month ago by the Public Religion Research Ins ute revealed more or less the same numbers - 62% for Obama and 30% for Romney.
    http://www.haaretz.com/news/u-s-elec...srael-1.427382

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure our individual differences are relevant. The Bush, and now apparently Obama doctrine of preemptive strikes has been a significant change in our foreign policy, don't you agree? At the rhetorical level at least?
    I guess I'd have to disagree. I really think this is all just a bunch of posing on our part.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't worry. No way Obama attacks Iran. He's just talking tough trying to counteract his anti-Israel image with Jewish voters.
    It's significant that boasting about plans to instigate another war would appeal to any voting group, ain't it?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess I'd have to disagree. I really think this is all just a bunch of posing on our part.
    Are we posing or not is one issue.

What is the pose that we're taking (in this case our self-proclaimed right to preemptively attack any other sovereign nation we don't like) is another item.

Shouldn't be conflated IMO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's significant that boasting about plans to instigate another war would appeal to any voting group, ain't it?
    significant? more like mundane.

it's 2012: I expect to see a lot of flamboyant pandering to special interests before it's over. imho, it has barely just begun in earnest...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

it's 2012: I expect to see a lot of flamboyant pandering to special interests before it's over. imho, it has barely just begun in earnest...
    The substance of the flamboyant pandering - in this case the threat of starting another war - is hardly mundane or insignificant.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the USA has been at war more or less continuously since the end of WWII, so in that sense war and talk of war have been mundane for like, 60 years now

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    but you could be right. we'll see what happens.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I agree commenting on the same repeated behavior over and over again is pretty mundane.

They have been ramping up this particular rhetoric even before the Afghan 'withdrawal.' Commenting on it when it happens once more is not very significant.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    FuzzyLumpkins weighs in with a snotty dismissal of commonplaces and discussion of commonplaces.

What is he here for?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was agreeing with you. You dismissed the topic as inconsequential due to it being old hat. that made sense to me.

If you are going to complain about somebody being dismissive then look to yourself.

Frankly, it's ironic that you would use that reasoning but hey whatevs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was agreeing with you. You dismissed the topic as inconsequential due to it being old hat. that made sense to me.
    you only thought you were agreeing with me. inconsequential and mundane aren't synonyms. calling out Captain Bringdown for overhyping something doesn't mean I think it's inconsequential, just less important.

subtlety's not really your thing, is it?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    significant
    [sig-nif-i-kuhnt]   Origin
    sig·nif·i·cant
       [sig-nif-i-kuhnt]
    adjective
    important; of consequence.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With regard to consequence and consequences, it's been pointed out that we've been at war pretty much non-stop since WWII. Therefore, it's safe to say that drum beating has not been without consequence, and is therefore not mundane and insignificant. Unless you take war as a given and inevitable, which it is clearly not.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    significant
    [sig-nif-i-kuhnt]   Origin
    sig·nif·i·cant
       [sig-nif-i-kuhnt]
    adjective
    important; of consequence.
    and mundane is a near synonym of ordinary.

something that happens everyday can be significant. I thought CB overstressed the importance of war planning and saber rattling and responded to him by emphasizing the everyday character of what he finds so ominous. I discounted the importance, sure, but I don't think the importance went to zero -- there's a continuum of values between nothing and everything. it goes back to the subtlety thing. jeez,what a pedant you are.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    for example, brushing your teeth is mundane, but I wouldn't call it inconsequential or lacking in importance.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    but if you were to say oral hygiene is the foundation of good heath and the lack of it portends physical ruin, in reply I might mention how ordinary and survivable cavities and gingivitis actually are. in so doing I would not be knocking the importance of brushing and flossing per se, but questioning an exaggeration.

your whole method amounts to exaggerating what people say and being derisive about that, so I can see how that would be a blind spot for you.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Business of America is the War Business

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The implication was that it was not so much significant as it was moreso mundane. I was talking about one word and while you are trying to fixate on the other as if it wasn't said and dismissed as ordinary it certainly refutes your notion of degree. At that point, why even mention it being significant immediately preceding the denigration?

Lack of concision is not a positive. Just means you cannot convey your thoughts clearly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Further by claiming that it is ordinary implies that this type of rhetoric happens all the time. Nothing has happened. I will leave it to you to figure the logical extension from there as to this particular exchange.

nuance
    your initiative

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You guys need to learn more about Israel, most Israeli don't want to go to war with Iran but just like in the U.S., there are a group of Neo-Cons, like Netenyahu who is the Cheney of Israel, which always seems to get the bulk of the M$M attention when it comes to foreign policy matters...these are the guys who also apparently have considerable pull with the American M$M who keep pushing the U.S. through pressure by the media..... to attack Iran ....even though Iran has recently signaled that it has no plans to build a nuclear weapon and is open to letting the IAEA inspect its nuclear energy project....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Most don't want to yet they vote Netanyahu as PM. Okie dokie.

Thread Information