Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if we can trade his ass and get Henson or Zeller i'm with it.

YOU JUST GOT THE BUISNESS SamoanTD's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think possibly right situation move splitter and Neal at best could get you maybe mid-late first tbh.

real fans go bald mountainballer's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs should try to get the #34 pick from the Cavs, which is said to be on the market. this could be good enough for Plumlee, James, Ezeli or Gordon. some of those guys are a bit under the radar and could become decent rotation players.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll start by saying I am a big fan of Tiago, I don't think any of the guys in the draft are far and away better than him. Like some have already said the G.Hill trade last year was perfect for the spurs because there was options at the backup PG instead of Hill. If you get rid of Tiago your Centers will be Blair, Bonner, a rookie & Diaw if your able to sign him. The fact of the matter is 7ft's don't grow on trees these days, the big defensive Centers are few and far between.

Now, if the Spurs want to take a low risk high reward I would look at Greg Oden. Before you start laughing he just had the same surgery as Kobe, A-Rod and countless other athletes have had in Germany. You invite him out to training camp and see what he's got, if he has something well then you give him a player minimum contract. I've always envisioned Oden in Spurs jersey, he would be a bust and somehow the Spurs would take a chance on him and he could revive his career or start his career really.

Just my two cents.

YOU JUST GOT THE BUISNESS SamoanTD's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs should try to get the #34 pick from the Cavs, which is said to be on the market. this could be good enough for Plumlee, James, Ezeli or Gordon. some of those guys are a bit under the radar and could become decent rotation players.
    That's what I said also Ezeli is balls slow he looked like Haywood when I saw him. Spurs should get James or O'Quinn.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fab Melo

Ridding the world of Alien Scum...Relentlessly. Man In Black's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Curious...

When Tiago played alongside Luis Scola, another low post presence who dominated the ball, how was his stats then and why did they make it work?

Tiago's game is quite the ENIGMA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lottery pick or bust for Splitter

I think Sullinger is going to be a great player in this league. Henson and Jones will be more luxary players for upcoming teams.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    oh well.
    thanks for reveal Splitter's PER. none here followed him this season.
    ever thought that playing exclusively against the 2nd unit of the other team might influence a players PER or per40 numbers?
    Splitter is decent. he might in fact bring back the #16 pick.
    if Splitter brings back #16, Splitter plus Blair brings back the #16 pick.
    Splitter plus Neal brings back the #16 pick.
    Splitter plus Blair plus Neal brings back the #16 pick.
    forget this Blair and Neal nonsense. they might land you a 2nd rounder. and it is not a high one.
    I agree that #5 is delusional, but without having studied needs for all the teams well enough to identify who might be a candidate, I could see a team that needs a center and doesn't want to wait to develop one picking up Splitter. If you run the pick and roll a lot, he could probably be an ok starter, and centers don't grow on trees. Late lottery doesn't seem completely insane to me.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know how everyone thinks player development was such an easy possibility in a strike shortened season. Splitter was used many ways they found something that worked and worked impressibely well. If Splitter can truly do anything consistently on offense in the NBA other than the pick and roll, no one has seen it yet -- and it wasn't for lack of trying early.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know how everyone thinks player development was such an easy possibility in a strike shortened season. Splitter was used many ways they found something that worked and worked impressibely well. If Splitter can truly do anything consistently on offense in the NBA other than the pick and roll, no one has seen it yet -- and it wasn't for lack of trying early.
    I'm certainly not opposed to keeping him -- "we must trade Tiago" is a dumb idea. He's a useful player as is, and can be even more so if you're right that he can keep developing into a more complete player.

But I'm also not opposed to seeing what's out there. If we think we can grab someone even better in a deep draft, we should do it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    oh well.
    ever thought that playing exclusively against the 2nd unit of the other team might influence a players PER or per40 numbers?
    forget this Blair and Neal nonsense. they might land you a 2nd rounder. and it is not a high one.
    I think you underrate Neal. If a team needs outside shooting, Neal is an excellent option. He's one of the best shooters in the league.

Blair I agree with. If we could get the Cavs 33 and 34 for Blair and could pick up O'Quinn and Bernard James with those picks it would be a big improvement. If they fell in the second round to where they are in the current mock drafts, maybe we could get them both with Portlands 40 and 41 for Blair.

Re: Blair, a known NBA performer who was All-Rookie, played in both his rookie and sophmore all-star games and was a starter for a team who won the west twice in a row should be able to net a couple second rounders

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Which is it, Splitter did "a fantastic job" of filling in for Tim, or our defense "went to in a hand basket" when Tim sat?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We need people with upside and talent, anyone on our roster is okay to give up beside big 3 + leonard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I believe Splitter will get better over time, but I do believe the playoffs did expose some flaws in his game. While I'm not sure what Splitter's value is either, he certainly shouldn't be considered off limits for the right deal. If the Spurs are looking to make a leap back into the first round, you can bet they probably have their sights set on a particular target.

I don't necessarily like all the prospects outlined in the article, specifcallly Jared Sullinger and Tyler Zeller. The last thing the Spurs need is another undersized or underskilled big. As a matter of fact, they need to rid the roster of the two they have now (Bonner & Blair). What they need now is a very skilled young big, with some size and some upside. A young player with the talent, heart and desire that could thrive under the tutelge of Duncan. The best reasons to make such a leap, in my opinion, would be for players like Meyers Leonard, Perry Jones or John Henson.

As they did last year with the George Hill trade, if the Spurs can prearrange a deal involving Splitter, and if one of these young guys are available, then they should they absolutely should pull the trigger - and I believe they will.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am also a Splitter fan but let's call a spade a spade.

Splitter won't help the Spurs or his career by staying. Getting a decent defender like you mentioned will help the spurs so I hope he gets traded.

Two years and for anyone who can take their Spurs glasses off and cares to see reality-the coach tried his best to not develop Splitter. Let him go.

Don't force it and pretend you like him.
    I am a HUGE Tiago fan but unless dude can improve his defense which I doubt, we need to get a big that can defend for him. Sorry Tiago but you may well be doing more harm than anything

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am a HUGE Tiago fan but unless dude can improve his defense which I doubt, we need to get a big that can defend for him. Sorry Tiago but you may well be doing more harm than anything
    whats wrong with his defense?

gtfo here b4 u spew some nonsense bull

his game and stats show that his > rasho

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The point is if we want to go all in for next season or we are gonna decide to re-build considering Parker is at the top of his market value.
    In the first case, if we can't get the n° 5 pick I doubt ther's something in the draft better than Splitter as a second big. Imho he's definitely better for our team than Henson, Sullinger and others...expecially considering he already knows our system.
    The main point will be to see what chances we have to sign both Diaw and Lorbek or a good free agent big (the dream is obviously Garnett).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We need someone to occupy the pine.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

As they did last year with the George Hill trade, if the Spurs can prearrange a deal involving Splitter, and if one of these young guys are available, then they should they absolutely should pull the trigger - and I believe they will.
    The difference, though, was the Spurs were deep at the guard position, so they could deal Hill. As you know, thats not the case for the Spurs, regarding the 4 and 5 position. Say, for example you trade Splitter for a 1st rounder. Whose to say that pick is ready to contribute right away? Theres no guarantee that any of the bigs in the draft, outside of Davis is a sure fire improvement over Splitter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm confident Pop and RC will make a decent move.
    We can only hope and pray. *sigh*

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why would a head coach try NOT to develop one of his players. That is just a ludicrous statement people who have no part of basketball other than being a fan make. As a coach I try to get the most out of my players. A coach spends a lot more time with his players than what you fans see on the tube. There is no better judge of talent than your head coach.

I love Splitter but he has a limited skill set. He is ineffective outside of 10 feet. Can't shoot a jumper to save his life nor does he have a post game. Defensively, he is active but not a shot blocker nor a great low post defender. Lets call a spade a spade.
    When Splitter's playing time was increasing before he got injured he was showing alot of development. It's when Pop started screwing with his minutes he started regressing. Pre-injury Splitter was much better than what we saw in the Thunder series.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IMO Blair and/or Bonner need to go before Tiago. We are too thin at that position to be left with Bonner, Blair, TD and x, because there's a good chance x won't be a "savior" right out of the gate.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's when Pop started screwing with his minutes he started regressing.
    You have something of a cause and effect problem there. What makes you so sure that Pop didn't start cutting his minutes because he started regressing? It's quite possible that the alternative was Tiago regressing, only for more minutes per game.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    oh well.
    You're being typical Spurs fan, by underrating the Spurs' assets. If Hill, who's ideal role is clearly sixth man, is worth a 15th pick, then why would Splitter, who's clearly a starting center in waiting, be worth a 16th pick? He's clearly worth a lottery pick.

The Trail Blazers (11th) and Bucks (12th), both desperately need a starting center and both appear to be in win now mode. I'm not saying I know for certain that either team would do it, but that's the type of offer it would take for the Spurs to consider trading Splitter. It might sound like a lot, but the reality is, before teams realized they were going to have to wait multiple years for him to come over, he was consistently rated as a lottery pick for about three years before leaving his name in the draft. And the odds of the guys in that range becoming clear cut better players are not good. In fact, you'd do well to get a player as good at those picks.

And Blair and Neal, are easily worth more than mid to late 2nd round picks.

My thoughts on why they should trade Splitter: http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199391
    Last edited by TD 21; 06-12-2012 at 06:42 PM.

Thread Information