Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm just pissed we traded away out first round draft pick order to get Jackson and get rid of Jefferson. This was a loaded draft. We could have amnestied Jefferson.
    Hope the Spurs do something significant to make up for this blunder.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would kill to have Marshall on this team, and he'd be who I wanted with a late lottery or later first rounder.
    Blair/Bonner/Neal to Bucks for #12 then take Marshall?

Depth chart:

PG: Parker/De Colo(?)/Marshall/Joseph
    SG: Green/Ginobili/De Colo
    SF: Leonard/Jackson/Green
    PF: Diaw/Lorbek(?)
    C: Duncan/Splitter

solid enough?

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wish. I can't see Milwaukee taking that deal though with Blair coming up on a contract next summer and being completely uninsurable.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Terrence Jones would be a great fit. Probably my favorite player in the mid-1st range where the Spurs could realistically move up to.

I just wouldnt move Tiago straight up for him but would do a combo of Neal/Blair/Green/Joseph in a heartbeat.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i think we could do a trade with the bobcats for their no.2 pick + tyrus thomas for our scrubs and expiring deals...jordan wants to clear cap?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i think we could do a trade with the bobcats for their no.2 pick + tyrus thomas for our scrubs and expiring deals...jordan wants to clear cap?

He just traded an expiring contract for a longer deal with an additional 15M in salary plus a draft pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fournier is an interesting young French guy. SI mock draft has him drafted at 29 by the Bulls, nba has him around 20. Pacers seem to be interested.
    Evan Fournier 6-5 3/4 w/out shoes. 6-8 1/4 wingspan, 204 pounds, 8-6 1/2 standing reach.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz1z100q3Yu
    http://www.draftexpress.com

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In the other French players, Albicy is the most interesting for the Spurs. I like his game, he is a crafty PG. He brings a strong defensive presence, he is fast, his stealing capacity is one of his big strength, he is good at not turning the ball over and cherry on the cake he can shoot from downtown.

At 59 he can worth a look tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Terrence Jones would be a great fit. Probably my favorite player in the mid-1st range where the Spurs could realistically move up to.

I just wouldnt move Tiago straight up for him but would do a combo of Neal/Blair/Green/Joseph in a heartbeat.
    MY dream too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    J'Covan Brown, Texas *
    Only positive is he's from Port Arthur, Texas.

Damn

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like another De Colo . . .
    I'd say he's a more of a straight up point guard than De Colo. De Colo looks more like a 1.5.

A point guard that isn't a plus defender might not be a need but at 59, you're just looking to draft an NBA player.

Wow, I can't remember ever seeing 20 3*+ prospects on your draft cheat sheets.
    I think this draft is pretty damn deep. But there's a pretty big talent drop off after about 25. At 30, I think the talent is pretty much par for what is available at 30 at any given year, so the Spurs didn't really lose out on much.

So I guess three subtext is that the Cory Joseph pick was a huge huge mistake
    There's no such thing as a "huge huge mistake" at 29. Joseph is probably a bust but most picks at 29 are busts so it's no big deal. Taking a risk on a highly rated high school player who underwhelmed at one year in college wasn't a horrible idea ... but so far it looks like it won't pan out.

We'll know more after summer league though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm more interested to see how Kawhi develops this year than any acquisition he makes. Can he become a scoring threat off the dribble or in the post? Or will he have to resort to having somebody create shots for him again. Not that I'm upset with his rookie season whatsoever, but I'd like to see if he can take it to the next level

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm just pissed we traded away out first round draft pick order to get Jackson and get rid of Jefferson. This was a loaded draft. We could have amnestied Jefferson.
    Hope the Spurs do something significant to make up for this blunder.
    @ blunder

That turned out to be an even better trade than Spurs fans thought at the time. The Spurs traded their first round pick for ~$12 million and a player who fit seamlessly and stepped when needed.

The Spurs could have given up two first round picks and that would have still be a positive trade.

Besides, the 30th pick in this draft isn't anything too special.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm surprised you have Miller so low, LJ. Until the ACL tear he was widely considered the best prospect in his class (over Rivers, Gilchrist, Davis, etc.). I realise the ACL tear his senior season makes him really risky in the top 15 or so, but you don't like his length nor midrange game?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh, oops. I saw you had Miller at **1/2. I saw Quincy, Baylor *1/2, lacks skill and missed that you were talking about Acy and not Miller in my quick scan, lol. I'm surprised you were so generous with him. All Acy ever seemed to be when I watched him was a dunker with a worse hairline than LeBron.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hollis Thompson 2nd round.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess this answers why you stayed up til 8am.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i guess this answers why you stayed up til 8am.

buuuuussssssstttttttttttteeeeeeeeeeeeeeed

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess this answers why you stayed up til 8am.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    @ blunder

That turned out to be an even better trade than Spurs fans thought at the time. The Spurs traded their first round pick for ~$12 million and a player who fit seamlessly and stepped when needed.

The Spurs could have given up two first round picks and that would have still be a positive trade.

Besides, the 30th pick in this draft isn't anything too special.
    Probably true. The Spurs did make out good on the trade and getting Jack back in the fold, while ridding the roster of RJ, was quite a coup. However, I'd say the REAL blunder was the Spurs decision to re-up RJ in the first place. In essence, had they not done so, that would've negated everything else that transpired thereafter.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still like Nicholson if they Spurs manage to find a way into the late first. He's probably the best PF option in the 20s as far as fit goes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Second Round Bigmen
    Bigmen who could be had in the second round.

Bernard James, Florida State **
    Quality shotblocker and rebounder but he's 27.

Kyle O'Quinn, Norfolk State *1/2
    Strong rebounder who can score but poor basketball IQ.

Henry Sims, Georgetown *1/2
    A seven-footer who is definitely a project but might be a late bloomer.

Robert Sacre, Gonzaga *
    Good scorer in the paint, excellent shot-blocker, good rebounder. Not really an athletic type.
    I'm probably more high on these bigs than most, but I believe all four have very good potential. They all have size, decent rebounding ability and are defensive-minded. Either one could come in, and with some time, seasoning and development, quite possibly fill a need for the Spurs, at a position that is currently undersized, underskilled and undermanned.
    THE 2012 NBA MOCK DRAFT

31. Bobcats - Will Barton
    32. Wizards - Kostas Papanikolaou
    33. Cavaliers - Evan Fournier
    34. Cavaliers - Festus Ezeli
    35. Warriors - Kim English
    36. Kings - Jared Cunningham
    37. Raptors - Kyle O'Quinn
    38. Nuggets - John Jenkins
    39. Pistons - Scott Machado
    40. Blazers - Miles Plumlee
    41. Blazers - Tornike Shengelia
    42. Bucks - Jae Crowder
    43. Hawks - Tyshawn Taylor
    44. Pistons - Darius Miller
    45. 76ers - Orlando Johnson
    46. Hornets - Bernard James
    47. Jazz - Robbie Hummel
    48. Knicks - Mike Scott
    49. Magic - Darius Johnson-Odom
    50. Nuggets - Hollis Thompson
    51. Celtics - Quincy Acy
    52. Warriors - Kevin Murphy
    53. Clippers - Kevin Jones
    54. 76ers - Nihad Djedovic
    55. Mavericks - Furkan Aldemir
    56. Raptors - Paul Lacombe
    57. Nets - Henry Sims
    58. Timberwolves - Leon Radosevic
    59. Spurs - Josep Franch
    60. Lakers - Cameron Moore
    That said, I simply cannot see the Spurs passing on a prospective young, athletic big, in lieu of a "big, crafty point guard who might not be athletic enough for the NBA", like Franch. I don't see him as an option at all.
    THE CRYSTAL BASKETBALL

I think it will be a quiet night for the Spurs. They'll keep their 59th selection and hope that a European draft-and-stash player falls to them -- namely Satoransky, Papanikolaou, Shengelia or Franch.
    Bottom line opinion: It could very well be a quiet night for the Spurs. However IMHO, if one of those aforementioned bigs are available, I predict the Spurs will bypass their usual second round draft-n-stash philosophy, in order to take flyer on one of them. That would be too good to pass up.

If any of these bigs are indeed available to the Spurs in the second round, it will be a true testiment as to the depth of this draft. And if the Spurs can somehow come out of this draft with one, I would certainly deem it a very successful draft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs need to see what they can get for crap like Bonner and Blair. If you have to trade Neal or Tiago for something better, do it....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm probably more high on these bigs than most, but I believe all four have very good potential. They all have size, decent rebounding ability and are defensive-minded. Either one could come in, and with some time, seasoning and development, quite possibly fill a need for the Spurs, at a position that is currently undersized, underskilled and undermanned.
    In a perfect world, it'd be great to get a young bigman with size who can develop into a defensive ace. The problem is that bigs that fit that profile who last to even the middle of the second round never pan out. Seriously, you'd have to go back years to find even one example of such a bigman taken in that part of the draft making it. History tells us any domestic big with prototypical size and defensive skill is long gone by the end of the second round.

To find an NBA player at the end of the second round, you usually have to draft outside of the box. You need to go with the undersized big, the small school wonder, the injury prone sleeper, the raw athlete without a position in college, the overlooked point guard or strike gold with a draft-and-stash. Since the Spurs have had success with the draft-and-stash method, that's probably the avenue they should travel.

I wouldn't mind trading up for a bigman but it'd take a full blown miracle for a useful domestic big with size to fall to 59.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In a perfect world, it'd be great to get a young bigman with size who can develop into a defensive ace. The problem is that bigs that fit that profile who last to even the middle of the second round never pan out. Seriously, you'd have to go back years to find even one example of such a bigman taken in that part of the draft making it. History tells us any domestic big with prototypical size and defensive skill is long gone by the end of the second round.

To find an NBA player at the end of the second round, you usually have to draft outside of the box. You need to go with the undersized big, the small school wonder, the injury prone sleeper, the raw athlete without a position in college, the overlooked point guard or strike gold with a draft-and-stash. Since the Spurs have had success with the draft-and-stash method, that's probably the avenue they should travel.

I wouldn't mind trading up for a bigman but it'd take a full blown miracle for a useful domestic big with size to fall to 59.
    That's why, rather than see the Spurs focus on trading up into the first round, I'd really prefer to seem them trade up near the top of the second, so as they would have their pick of these bigs.

Bernard James, who is projected for the second round and is listed here, could possibly fall because of his age (27). By his own admission, the age thing has been brought up, as a red flag, in every interview he's had with every NBA team.

Still, given the choice, it would be better to invest that pick in one of those young, athletic bigs, if available. I would gather either one would have a much better chance of panning out than some unathletic Euro PG, who is even less likely to pan out years from now.

Unless the Spurs have some other surprises in store for us, that's the route I hope they take.
    Last edited by SenorSpur; 06-27-2012 at 06:33 PM.

Thread Information