Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Personally, I think we do a stinking job in this country of prolonging death rather than prolonging life. We keep people breathing on machines rather than letting nature take its course. The result is huge costs and loss of dignity for many dying people who cannot speak for themselves and whose families are afraid to say that it is okay to let them go.

And the doctors keep them on machines because they are afraid of being sued.

I don't consider that particularly superior to what GB has.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    US doctors do that all the time whether they call it that or not.
    Families often decide on their own that keeping alive terminally ill family members just so they can suffer a little longer isn't noble, ethical or selfless.

Just Right of Atilla the Hun Yonivore's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meanwhile, back in England...

Man who died of dehydration in hospital was so desperate for water he called police, inquest hears

Choosing to forego treatment voluntarily or even having a family member do it as an extension of an advanced directive is one thing. Having your government decide you deserve to die is quite another.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At least he didn't get his credit card stolen after he died... oh wait, that was in the US.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Love the selective reading from Yoni

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At least he didn't get his credit card stolen after he died... oh wait, that was in the US.
    I'll let you know when the British health care workers involved are arrested...oh, wait! It's a matter of policy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Love the selective reading from Yoni
    Yeah, apparently malpractice is a phenomenon reserved to the UK... this is good news for American Hospitals too, now they can forego of that expensive malpractice insurance...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll let you know when the British health care workers involved are arrested...oh, wait! It's a matter of policy.
    Well, apparently there's an ongoing investigation...

A coroner had such grave concerns about the case she referred it to the police and there was a “serious untoward incident” investigation at the hospital. The hearing continues.

But you'll have to excuse me if I'm skeptical of your claim of following up on this...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    BTW, doctors involved in a malpractice lawsuits rarely if ever are charged criminally (and go to jail) in the US... and as far as the civil payout, that's exactly what malpractice insurance is for...

But thanks for letting us know you expect the UK to have standards the US doesn't have...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hadn't you heard? The USA is the perfect country while everywhere else is just plain

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hadn't you heard? The USA is the perfect country while everywhere else is just plain
    Well, it's not quite that stark. You guys are probably a distant 2nd or 3rd.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh and BTW, that case went to court and it was ruled as neglect. The judge ruled that the hospital was liable under civil law (just like in America, surprise!). To boot, the staff in charge was plastered in the newspapers, and it forced changes at the hospital, instead of just a payout behind closed doors.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-18814487

There's a system we can learn a thing or two from.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's a system we can learn a thing or two from.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let me know when the world starts flocking to the ing NHS when they fall ill of just about every disease on which the American Health Care System has proven over and over again to be the leader in treating.

Yes, I'm biased. The American Health Care System is the best in the world.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Yes, I'm biased. The American Health Care System is the best in the world.
    starting to think you're a troll. This is hilarious.

Heard of Scandinavian health care, son?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, millionaires like Kobe headed to Germany to have a treatment done on his knee that it's not available in the US yet... Steve Jobs himself headed to Switzerland looking for an innovative cancer treatment...

There are cases out there if you look for them...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    starting to think you're a troll. This is hilarious.

Heard of Scandinavian health care, son?
    Do the sick of the world risk make their way there for treatment?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, millionaires like Kobe headed to Germany to have a treatment done on his knee that it's not available in the US yet... Steve Jobs himself headed to Switzerland looking for an innovative cancer treatment...

There are cases out there if you look for them...
    If you really look. And, why is Kobe's treatment not available here? Probably government interference. Probably Job's as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Now, I do still think the US has the best, quality-wise, care in the world overall... but the cost is nearly half of Americans not being able to afford it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Now, I do still think the US has the best, quality-wise, care in the world overall... but the cost is nearly half of Americans not being able to afford it.
    I blame government. A good deal of the cost of medical care is found in regulatory compliance and malpractice insurance.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you really look. And, why is Kobe's treatment not available here? Probably government interference. Probably Job's as well.
    In Kobe's case, more stringent testing by the FDA. In Jobs case, the University of Basel is just renowned for research on that field.

Germany is also at the forefront of stem cell research. That's another area that was heavily politicized here in the US, and that's what happens when you slip.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I blame government. A good deal of the cost of medical care is found in regulatory compliance and malpractice insurance.
    Can you back up the "regulatory compliance" part?

The malpractice insurance part isn't government mandated AFAIK, so I don't know what exactly government has to do with it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can you back up the "regulatory compliance" part?
    Ask any doctor about the cost of complying with Medicare and Medicaid reporting. Many clinics and hospitals have enormous staffs just to handle paperwork.

The malpractice insurance part isn't government mandated AFAIK, so I don't know what exactly government has to do with it.
    Doctors perform risky treatments in order to save patients' lives. Sometimes those treatments fail. It's the one area where government would be welcome in protecting doctors from unnecessary lawsuits.

And, When's the last time you saw the NHS donate $8 million in medical technology to an American Hospital.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even if the healthcare is good, the fact that you pay so much makes it virtually inaccessible for so many people and thus almost redundant

Thread Information