Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They survey is loaded because of its inherent assumption that the 4000+ full time and part-time troops that were lucky enough to be surveyed represents a statistically backed break-down of known political affiliation of the entire army. Which we know from the actual numbers from CNN isn't true.

You mean this survey on CNN?

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2004/pag.../epolls.0.html

The one that is based on 13,660 respondents out of the entire voting population? How is that more reliable?
    Last edited by Spurminator; 08-24-2005 at 02:22 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If it backs up Dan's POV(s) and hates Bush it's reliable...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dan, if you are talking about the CNN survey you linked, the Military voting data was based on even fewer respondents.

USA Today: Based on 4000+ current or former members of the military

CNN survey: Based on the 18% of 13,660 total respondents who currently or have ever served in the military...

13,660 * .18 - 2,459

4,000 > 2,459

Perhaps you are referring to another CNN study?
    Last edited by Spurminator; 08-24-2005 at 02:37 PM.

Lottery Pick
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They survey is loaded because of its inherent assumption that the 4000+ full time and part-time troops that were lucky enough to be surveyed represents a statistically backed break-down of known political affiliation of the entire army. Which we know from the actual numbers from CNN isn't true. If every poll was done this way they would not be statistically reliable.

The survey would have had to included a large number of survey of 4000+ troops with differing party affiliation to have been taken seriously.
    that's ridiculous. 4,000 is a perfectly acceptable sample size and can easily be considered a valuable and random measure of military at udes. Your method is anything but random. Weeding out people first based on whether they are republican or democrat? and then drawing conclusions on who the military supports?? The fact is ANY random survey of the military will demonstrate the tremendous support that the republicans enjoy from the military AND that currently enlisted people supported Bush by a wide margain. WHat you are suggesting is basically filtering out people so that you can skew the numbers in favor of democrats. btw - I've come across the same figures Jelly did in a few magazines and newspapers and I recall that the 73% figure represented people CURRENTLY in the military. To me that is a far better indicator than your CNN poll of people who have EVER served in the military at some point in their lives. That would include people that served for 2 years in the eighties....hardly an apt description of "the military vote"

Lottery Pick
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dan, if you are talking about the CNN survey you linked, the Military voting data was based on even fewer respondents.

Survey 1: Based on 4000+ current or former members of the military

CNN survey: Based on the 18% of 13,660 total respondents who currently or have ever served in the military...

13,660 * .18 - 2,459

4,000 > 2,459

excellent work spurminator!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/politic...h-troops_x.htm

Well, now that I've found the link, the survey by the Military WAS unscientific... Not because of the number of respondents, but because the survey was sent to 31,000+ and response was voluntary.

So it wasn't random.

That said, CNN's survey is by no means "actual numbers". It's still a pretty small sample when you consider how many people living right now have ever served in the military. I would still favor the Military results as a more reliable snapshot of Military political affiliations, but the methodology is not sound.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

USA Today: Based on 4000+ current or former members of the military

13,660 * .18 - 2,459

4,000 > 2,459

Yes, I was using the actual numbers from CNN 2004 Official Election results and not any CNN study.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, I was using the actual numbers from CNN 2004 Official Election results and not any CNN study.
    Look at the top of the page when you first open it.

"13,660 Respondents"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here is the official data-collecting and projection number policy from CNN:

(CNN) -- To project an election, CNN and its election experts use scientific statistical procedures to make estimates of the final vote count in each race. CNN will broadcast a projected winner only after an extensive review of data from a number of sources.

CNN editorial policy strictly prohibits reporting winners or characterizing the outcome of a statewide contest in any state before all the polls are scheduled to close in every precinct in that state.

CNN will receive information from the following sources:

The Associated Press: The Associated Press will provide vote totals for each race. The AP will be gathering numbers via stringers based in each county or other jurisdiction where votes are tabulated.

Edison/Mitofsky Research: To assist CNN in collecting and evaluating this information, CNN, the other television networks and the Associated Press have employed Edison Media Research (EMR) and Mitofsky International. In previous elections, Warren Mitofsky and Joe Lenski of Edison Research have assisted CNN in projecting winners in state and national races. Edison/Mitofsky will conduct exit polls, which ask voters their opinion on a variety of relevant issues, determine how they voted, and ask a number of demographic questions to allow analysis of voting patterns by group.

Using exit poll results, scientifically selected representative precincts, vote results from the AP, and a number of sophisticated analysis techniques, Edison/Mitofsky also recommend projections of a winner for each race it covers.

Collecting data

The process of projecting races begins by creating a sample of precincts. The precincts are selected by random chance, like a lottery, and every precinct in the state has an equal chance to be in the sample. They are not bellwether precincts or "key" precincts. Each one does not mirror the vote in a state but the sample collectively does.

The first indication of the vote comes from the exit polls conducted by Edison/Mitofsky. On Election Day, Edison/Mitofsky interviewers stand outside of sample precincts in a given state. They count the people coming out after they have voted and are instructed to interview every third person or every fifth person, for example, throughout the voting day. The rate of selection depends on the number of voters expected at the polling place that day. They do this from the time the polling place opens until shortly before it closes.

The interviewers give each selected voter a questionnaire, which takes only a minute or two to complete. It asks about issues that are important, and background characteristics of the voter, and it also asks for whom they voted in the most important races. During the day, the interviewer phones the information from the questionnaires to a computer center.

Next, vote totals come in from many of the same sample precincts as the exit polls after the voting has finished in those precincts. These are actual votes that are counted after the polls have closed. Election officials post the results so anyone at the precinct can know them.

The third set of vote returns come from the vote tallies done by local officials. The local figures become more complete as more precincts report vote returns. The county or township vote is put into statistical models, and Edison/Mitofsky make estimates and projections using those models. In addition, CNN will be monitoring the Web sites of the Secretaries of State offices and will also use surveys that have done in advance to help analyze the outcome of early voting and absentee voting.
    CNN

So, I'm not sure what the 13,660 respondents number represents.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did you miss the article where the military dropped the quotas because they knew they were not going to make them? This is an opinion piece from a NewsCorp paper so it conveniently leaves things like that out. BushCo love to move the goal posts or stop reporting negatives all together.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    100% of the posters in this forum whose name ends in "destino" voted for our leader
    hows that for a poll?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    split personality syndrome?

Thread Information