Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's horse ...they did have some bigass cars or haven't you ever seen some of the 8 and 12 cylinder Jags?
    Unlike the fuel inefficient Tahoes in the U.S., the 12-cylinder Jags aren't the big sellers in Europe.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's because the Jags cost an arm and a leg...trust me, the people that can afford them are not worried about fuel efficiency.

They made big cars too...the AC Cobra housed the biggest stock engine ever made for a car...and while the egine was American..the Cobra was originally a European Car.

The major difference is that Europeans tended to place more importance on handling while Americans valued straight away speed...and most of the mid cost American muscle cars were fast enough to keep up with the $$$$$$$$ fast cars in Europe. Now fuel efficiency is a concern....but part of that is self inflicted...they tax the crap out of gas over there, but they pay the same amount for their Oil that we do.

See you when it burns SWC Bonfire's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I never understood America's infatuation with big ass cars.

In the 70s it was those huge, ugly Fords (in Argentina we had the Ford Ferlien, not sure you guys has it here), until the gas crisis made Detroit come up with smaller models.

Now its the SUVs.
    My quick response to that question is that I don't fit in small cars. I'm 6'-6" (1.98m).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like small cars...if for no other reason that I can't park big ones worth a . And that gas thing, too....I hate stopping for it.

And now User's around with his big assin' truck, there are no problems hauling things around. And he's 6'4" ... I almost had to break out the Crisco to get him in my car, it certainly didn't look very comfortable.

SW: Hot As Hell
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A few of my thoughts on this subject.

I have no problem with anything that anyone else drives, as long as they drive it safely.

I would like to see better fuel efficiency from larger vehicles including types like the truck I own.

I don't really take into consideration what people think about the vehicle I drive as long as it fits my needs and likes.

I don't feel it's my place to "tell" other people what to drive.

Sorry, but acting self-righteous about what you drive is laughable.

The Tahoe mentioned in the article was supposed to get better gas milage. I think that aspect seems to have been over looked by that vehicle's critics. Also, it's funny to see people label people who drive certain types of vehicles as certain types of people. Those same people would swear up and down they are not prejudice or biggatoryin nature.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's because the Jags cost an arm and a leg...trust me, the people that can afford them are not worried about fuel efficiency.

They made big cars too...the AC Cobra housed the biggest stock engine ever made for a car...and while the egine was American..the Cobra was originally a European Car.

The major difference is that Europeans tended to place more importance on handling while Americans valued straight away speed...and most of the mid cost American muscle cars were fast enough to keep up with the $$$$$$$$ fast cars in Europe. Now fuel efficiency is a concern....but part of that is self inflicted...they tax the crap out of gas over there, but they pay the same amount for their Oil that we do.
    That's one of the main difference between US and EU sports cars - You just don't hear it very often

Personally I would not own an american SUV for the simple reason that they are just too expensive to run. You have your choice of excellent and economical cars who let you drive in comfort without consuming an oil tanker per year.

But they are great fun! Whenever I'm the US and have some spare (private) time available I always try to rent a typical US car. There are many bad things you can say about them but they are also great fun. Totally different from what we drive over here and for me it's impossible to compare - they're simply american Big toys for big boys - unfortuantely we do have to grow up some day.

Therefore as an everyday car - no thanks. I also believe that the majority of SUV owners in the US don't really need SUV features (same in the EU - it's just that there's a lot less SUV over here so it's not that obvious). And yes, I do believe that over consumption of oil is going to us up big time in the not so distant future (some would probably say it already is).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    tahoes have no speed at all

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    tahoes have no speed at all
    Shows your intellegence on the matter! You may hate Tahoes but it appears you know very little about them. Very untrue statement! If you "hate" Tahoes as much as you exhibit, why don't you just walk away and leave them alone?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it has the best speed in its class right?

its slow as

naturally a new one could beat my truck
    its also 12 years old with 192k miles

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it has the best speed in its class right?

its slow as

naturally a new one could beat my truck
    its also 12 years old with 192k miles
    Okay, now we're getting close to what I see as a huge problem with this discussion. You say you drive a truck that is 12 years old. Now, I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer but I know that truck gets less gas mileage than my Tahoe. Isn't your reasoning against the Tahoe the gas mileage? You can believe me or not . It doesn't really matter, but my Tahoe gets 21 MPG on the highway and around 18 MPG in town. I am not concerned with "slow" or "speed". Speed will decrease gas mileage in a hurry. Thats a proven fact. That being said, where are you going with your argument? If I can afford a Tahoe and it gets reasonable mileage, what difference does it make to you what I drive other that the fact that you see the Tahoe as a status symbol? I just do not understand your crusade against the Tahoe! I think everyone's driving habits are different and in my case, I don't drive all that much. I'm not trying to top you or piss you off. Just trying to prove a point!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no ive said over and over thats not my main reason against

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no ive said over and over thats not my main reason against
    Then what is it?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i have a 5.7 L v8
    horrible mileage

i dislike them because of the uncanny ratio of W stickers
    the uglyness
    the slowness
    and the fact that a load of people own them
    people love to say "tahoe" and "yukon", they ing love it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    people think that now, with the current politcal climate and gas prices
    that if theyre seen driving one, people will assume theyre rich and conservative

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i have a 5.7 L v8
    horrible mileage

i dislike them because of the uncanny ratio of W stickers
    the uglyness
    the slowness
    and the fact that a load of people own them
    people love to say "tahoe" and "yukon", they ing love it
    Well, I think you have stereotyped a bunch of people without warrant. I don't have a W sticker on mine and I don't love to say "Tahoe". I also don't think it's ugly and I don't think it's slow. I really don't care if a " load" of people have them. I just happened to really like it. Peace brother.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    and my biggest reason to hate all gm vehicles

OnStar*

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    well at least you admitted to having one

ive argued with some people so long on here its obvious they have one

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    and my biggest reason to hate all gm vehicles

OnStar*
    I don't have "onstar". Felt it unnecessary! Waste of money!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ask not why we like them...ask why you don't. What's next? You going to ask us why we like football and John Wayne?
    Football rules.

Nevertheless, I could ask you about baseball and your infatuation with that boring-ass sport.

John Wayne’s cool.

The question you should be asking yourself...why is it that you don't?
    I never said I didn’t like them. Actually the cars you posted pictures of are pretty nice, but not the ones I was referring too. But my point was more regarding today’s SUVs, point you have addresses later.

It's just the way our culture is...and it's been pretty successful.
    whotttie never fails to rub it in peoples faces how successful America is.

The SUV thing is stupid...the people that drive the big SUV's are people that would never have any use for them really...it's just a status thing...and the funny thing is a lot of them are the same people who consider themselves environmentally concerned. People that live in nice neighborhoods that have absolutely no use for 4wd vehicles...I guess because they look cool.
    Agreed.

Fairlane perhaps? I don't blame you for hating Big American cars if that is as good as it got in the 70's..Hmmm actually I thought the Fairlanes were Torino's by the 70's..that's the Starsky and Hutch car...what do you mean UGLY ford?
    I thought the Fairlane was a Ford. Like the Falcon. Could a bored Argie reading this thread confirm?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mookie...you and I have just proven that two people can have a discussion without calling each other names. Thanks!

The Defense doesn't rest Manu'sMagicalLeftHand's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I thought the Fairlane was a Ford. Like the Falcon. Could a bored Argie reading this thread confirm?
    It was a Ford, however the car evolved from this (which was the most sold in Argentina):

Into this (which I believe is what whottt was referring):

And I believe whottt isn't talking about "our" Torino, but the Fairlane Torino, which is a completely different car to the one you are thinking of.

Football rules.

Nevertheless, I could ask you about baseball and your infatuation with that boring-ass sport.
    No, both are boring as !

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, the Fairlane was the predecessor to the Torino, I believe. It is possible that they continued the older model overseas, or continued to market it as a Fairlane so that they wouldn't have the expense of marketing a new nameplate.

The Sean Marks Dance Duff McCartney's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's horse ...they did have some bigass cars or haven't you ever seen some of the 8 and 12 cylinder Jags?

The Europeans have made some bad ass gas guzzling musclecars themselves...don't sell them short.

And also...Paris and London are hundreds of years old and built on narrow streets...you can't have a city full of GTOs in Paris.
    My Sociology teacher told me when he was stationed in Germany in 1964...there was already somebody that had an electric car in Germany.

This was in 1964!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My Sociology teacher told me when he was stationed in Germany in 1964...there was already somebody that had an electric car in Germany.

This was in 1964!!!
    There were electric cars before the internal combustion engine caught on.

Thread Information