Post Count
    Dale sure does love his McRacist Donalds
    Just a member of "the greatest people who has ever trod this earth."

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Silver is a very "happy" man.
    He's got Media in his pocket. When you can lynch a Jew in broad daylight and Media provides the materiels you're in.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    tbh it's not just about the bathroom, that's what conservi s want to simplify it as. kudos to the NBA for giving the finger to that ty state
    A lot of people make the easy mistake of assuming NC is hardcore conservative state when it's not. It's not a blue or red state but a purple state. Obama won it in '08 and Romney barely won it in '12 by only 2 points. Clinton is the favorite to win it this year. NC is divided 50-50 between conservatives and liberals. I was looking forward to going to the ASG game this year since I live in Charlotte but now obviously it's not happening. Before you rejoice about this move think about 50 percent of the state that got ed over by this move who are tolerant before you group us all as backwards people.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Today's state laws

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've been reading rumors (maybe unsubstantiated) that the Hornets will move to Seattle. So let's recap:

-Law is passed, the city of Charlotte tries to work with its LGBT community by passing a non-discrimination ordinance, state repeals it.
    -Lose All-Star game to the city that also took your franchise look for awhile
    -Probably going to lose the franchise to those idiots from Seattle
    no way jordan agrees to the move, basically Silver said if they renovated the arena they'd get the game. They did that, and silver ed them over some stupid law that affects like 5 people

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no way jordan agrees to the move, basically Silver said if they renovated the arena they'd get the game. They did that, and silver ed them over some stupid law that affects like 5 people

It's personal for Silver

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That is ing disrespecful to people of Charlotte and NC.

Veteran
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    thats real corny tbh..

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Crazy these times. Show one ounce of what can be perceived as discriminatory action for one minority group and you can have business taken away from you just like that. Imagine how much Charlotte and the state of NC has lost due to businesses pulling business out of their state lines?
    Well, if that is true, then by default NC made the wrong choice. They need to represent the feelings of their population both civilian and business and if they are losing that much because of the decision, they made the wrong choice.

No one is saying that NC can't do what they did; however, like anything else there are consequences. They felt the consequences were worth their actions. Let's see if they are right.

Business and people have a right to do what they want - them moving their businesses away and others taking their money out of the state is not only a predictable response but absolutely 100% ok as its their freedom.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didn't say there was a problem with anything. Merely pointing out how Charlotte is getting shafted for a state law.
    You seemed to imply there was something wrong by saying NC got shafted. They didn't get shafted. They made a choice as the state which they are free to do and like all decisions there are repercussions. No one got shafted. Everyone got what they wanted in fact - NC got their law and business got to make their choice on where to put their money.

Those are the times. Just hoped the NBA would keep out of political/social issues.
    Why do you want the NBA out of social issues? Also, seems foolish to want that since the NBA is by far the most progressive sports league in the world on speaking out on issues. Not just the organization but it's athletes as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, if that is true, then Silver did MJ a favor by leveraging the AS game for Jordan as a means for him to pressure the state into upgrading the stadium likely on the people's dime (like most stadiums). Jordan got free upgrades TBH..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That is ing disrespecful to people of Charlotte and NC.
    lol wut?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They have their laws, don`t try to enforce LGBT rights at all costs. Seriously NBA taking All-star games because transgender must use diffrent toilets -.-

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They have their laws, don`t try to enforce LGBT rights at all costs. Seriously NBA taking All-star games because transgender must use diffrent toilets -.-
    lmao "at all costs". the nba allstar game is a right

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NBA players should dress up like women and play a game that way to show their support.

Corpus Christi Spurs Fan Phenomanul's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meanwhile, the NBA has games in China... promotes the NBA brand relentlessly...

China's government remains an authoritarian one-party state. It places arbitrary curbs on expression, association, assembly, and religion; prohibits independent labor unions and human rights organizations; and maintains Party control over all judicial ins utions.

The government censors the press, the Internet, print publications, and academic research, and justifies human rights abuses as necessary to preserve “social stability.” It carries out involuntary population relocation and rehousing on a massive scale, and enforces highly repressive policies in ethnic minority areas in Tibet, Xinjiang, and Inner Mongolia. China’s education system discriminates against children and young people with disabilities. The government obstructs domestic and international scrutiny of its human rights record, insisting it is "an attempt to destabilize the country."

Activists endure police monitoring, detention, arrest, enforced disappearance, and torture. There is no protection for gays and lesbians against discrimination, and family's that want to have more than the state prescribed number of children are subject to forced abortions.

But the NBA is fine with hosting games in that paradise. Oh what level of hypocrisy...!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meanwhile, the NBA has games in China... promotes the NBA brand relentlessly...

China's government remains an authoritarian one-party state. It places arbitrary curbs on expression, association, assembly, and religion; prohibits independent labor unions and human rights organizations; and maintains Party control over all judicial ins utions.

The government censors the press, the Internet, print publications, and academic research, and justifies human rights abuses as necessary to preserve “social stability.” It carries out involuntary population relocation and rehousing on a massive scale, and enforces highly repressive policies in ethnic minority areas in Tibet, Xinjiang, and Inner Mongolia. China’s education system discriminates against children and young people with disabilities. The government obstructs domestic and international scrutiny of its human rights record, insisting it is "an attempt to destabilize the country."

Activists endure police monitoring, detention, arrest, enforced disappearance, and torture. There is no protection for gays and lesbians against discrimination, and family's that want to have more than the state prescribed number of children are subject to forced abortions.

But the NBA is fine with hosting games in that paradise. Oh what level of hypocrisy...!
    While I don't disagree, a few things:

1. The NBA is a business. And just like the decision to pull out of NC or like NC's decision to have that law, you are free to do what you want but there are reprucussions. NBA feels like the business decision is a good one to be in China despite the way they treat people and most seem to agree since its thriving both foreign and domestically. If people were that offended by China and the nba's involvement, they would take their business elsewhere. So far, that has not happened.

2. The obvious difference is one is an American State (NC) and one is another country where you have no real influence to change things. I don't disagree that it's a little hypocritical but in context of point #1 & this one, you can only do so much. The fact the NBA was considering having the game in NC even with the law shows they aren't always about being altruistic.

3. You can't be perfect and speak up on every single event or else you'd find yourself impossibly over-whelmed both personally and professionally. Every country, state, city, etc..has terrible things going on. It's about the pressing issues, business & what your company (the NBA) is about.

Not going to China won't hurt China but would the NBA. Exposing people to American culture is a way to help IMO. NC doesn't need exposure to American culture - they are American. This is about making a statement for the country the NBA resides in and standing up for the people here with a tangible act that actually makes a difference.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    ^Deeps, runnin' just as fast as he can.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a business move. I have no problem with it. That's how it goes with the free market system. If Bob's Fill Dirt and Taco Service moved from Seguin to Boerne because of the new laws in Seguin, no one would give a . Up the ante to a hundred million and suddenly it's an important issue.

Likewise I have no issue with the state laws and they should not repeal them simply because a private sports and entertainment business decided to have an event elsewhere.

The NBA still authorizes the franchise in Charlotte. They still have exhibitions in China (human rights capitol of the world) so whatever "right now" bull causes them to act out is up to them and their business will either gain or lose from it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    While I don't disagree, a few things:

1. The NBA is a business. And just like the decision to pull out of NC or like NC's decision to have that law, you are free to do what you want but there are reprucussions. NBA feels like the business decision is a good one to be in China despite the way they treat people and most seem to agree since its thriving both foreign and domestically. If people were that offended by China and the nba's involvement, they would take their business elsewhere. So far, that has not happened.

2. The obvious difference is one is an American State (NC) and one is another country where you have no real influence to change things. I don't disagree that it's a little hypocritical but in context of point #1 & this one, you can only do so much. The fact the NBA was considering having the game in NC even with the law shows they aren't always about being altruistic.

3. You can't be perfect and speak up on every single event or else you'd find yourself impossibly over-whelmed both personally and professionally. Every country, state, city, etc..has terrible things going on. It's about the pressing issues, business & what your company (the NBA) is about.

Not going to China won't hurt China but would the NBA. Exposing people to American culture is a way to help IMO. NC doesn't need exposure to American culture - they are American. This is about making a statement for the country the NBA resides in and standing up for the people here with a tangible act that actually makes a difference.
    It can be whittled down to the fact that it's not really costing the NBA anything to move elsewhere. It's costing the city of Charlotte. The NBA cannot put that kind of financial pressure on China.

It's not at all about making a statement. It's about taking the path of least resistance.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    It's a business move. I have no problem with it. That's how it goes with the free market system. If Bob's Fill Dirt and Taco Service moved from Seguin to Boerne because of the new laws in Seguin, no one would give a . Up the ante to a hundred million and suddenly it's an important issue.

Likewise I have no issue with the state laws and they should not repeal them simply because a private sports and entertainment business decided to have an event elsewhere.

The NBA still authorizes the franchise in Charlotte. They still have exhibitions in China (human rights capitol of the world) so whatever "right now" bull causes them to act out is up to them and their business will either gain or lose from it.
    It can be whittled down to the fact that it's not really costing the NBA anything to move elsewhere. It's costing the city of Charlotte. The NBA cannot put that kind of financial pressure on China.

It's not at all about making a statement. It's about taking the path of least resistance.
    D, runnin' just as fast as he can,,,next to Deeps.

Corpus Christi Spurs Fan Phenomanul's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Being LGBTQIA+ is a choice... not genetic.

LGBTQIA+ folks are the only peeps pulling the "discrimination" card based on something that they do... and not because of something that they are at birth.

I'll post it again, from the "NBA LGBT shirts thread"

That said, I personally find it distastefully ignorant that those with LGBTQ self-iden y refuse to acknowledge that sexual desire is A CHOICE. They want to distance themselves from the accountability of said choice. Over the past several decades the LGBTQ camp has been very successful at equating their plight to the Civil Rights movement or Woman's Suffrage movement, by suggesting that "they are born that way," that "they didn't have a choice". But for the most part, genetically speaking, they don't have a scientific basis on which to assert the validity of that claim. Pedophiles make the same claims, but we know that their mindset is wrong even if they've never 'harmed' a child - and society rightfully condemns said behavior. In some instances, identifying it as a mental disease.

The Human Genome Project was completed in 2003, and after 13 years of painstakingly mapping out humanity's genetic pool (and after much insistence/patronage from the LGBTQ camp) a "gay" gene was never found or identified - even though dedicated teams were specifically looking for said gene, and despite a disproportionate amount of LGBTQ genetic donors for said effort.

http://www.mygenes.co.nz/download.htm

This is just an extension of society continuing to proliferate two lies.

Lie No. 1: That IF one doesn't condone LGBTQ behavior, THEN you "hate" LGBTQ people.

Lie No. 2: (related) That IF one doesn't condone LGBTQ behavior, THEN you cannot love LGBTQ people.

Nothing could be further from the truth. I don't condone everything my children do. It doesn't mean I love them any less. When they do wrong they must be instructed for correction.

That the NBA wants to do this, is well within their rights... frankly however, it's just more of the same - more of the millennial mindset. No one needs to be held accountable for their choices, "it's always someone else's fault" / "let me do as I please". A brave new world indeed.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NBA has every right to move the all star game (do people even watch that anymore?). But I do think that if you pick and choose which issues you are going to take a stance on, you open yourself up to criticism and claims of hypocrisy that may cost you fans. My suggestion is to just keep the all-star weekend where it is and make a point of being inclusive. But the NBA made the change to get a big pat on its back for being "open minded." If that's the case, then be consistently "open minded" not selectively or it just looks like the NBA is following an agenda.

Thread Information