Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Green remains one of the most underrated Spurs, just based on this thread.

When Lamarcus came here, Danny’s productiveness was gone. He was a horrible fit in the Aldridge offense but anyone with a brain knows what Danny brings to the right team.
    Nice try. The "Aldridge offense" was actually the S bag offense when Green's inexplicable regression began and he thrived in it last season (more luck for S bag) before coming back down to earth this season in the "James offense". You know, the guy who's about as good a play maker that's ever lived.

I know this board mostly dislikes Aldridge, but the truth is the biggest 3 aging out and S bag's meteoric rise had far more to do with the changing of the offense that he ever did.
    Last edited by TD 21; 08-17-2020 at 07:28 PM.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Green legit sonned LeBron one-on-one on the break with the game on the line at the end of Game Six. He didn't shoot well, but his defense was on point, and it gave the team a chance to win. Hands down best defensive play by a perimeter defender in Spurs history, but because SA lost, folks remember the Leonard block on Westbrook more.

Danny played 41:28 and LeBron scored 32 and had a triple double, but you're just going to say he did most of that when Danny was out. Doesn't matter. Danny has always been a nightmare when he puts the ball on the floor. The Heat ran him off the 3P line in games 6 and 7, and he was completely shut down on the offensive end. That makes him a D guy.

I love the guy, weak handles and all. My only comment was about the idea that he automatically would have made the difference in a series. He made the difference in some series, and others he didn't. But I agree that his defense was always important.

If you want to talk about him being undervalued, though, I don't think anyone undervalued Danny more than Pop. He scapegoated him all the time and eventually used him as trade ballast.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Danny played 41:28 and LeBron scored 32 and had a triple double, but you're just going to say he did most of that when Danny was out. Doesn't matter. Danny has always been a nightmare when he puts the ball on the floor. The Heat ran him off the 3P line in games 6 and 7, and he was completely shut down on the offensive end. That makes him a D guy.

I love the guy, weak handles and all. My only comment was about the idea that he automatically would have made the difference in a series. He made the difference in some series, and others he didn't. But I agree that his defense was always important.

If you want to talk about him being undervalued, though, I don't think anyone undervalued Danny more than Pop. He scapegoated him all the time and eventually used him as trade ballast.
    He wasn't close to James' primary defender. He wasn't even the secondary defender. Sounds like you remember the game mostly from the box score.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He wasn't close to James' primary defender. He wasn't even the secondary defender. Sounds like you remember the game mostly from the box score.

LMAO. I remember the game just fine. I thought you said he owned LeBron on defense. You were only talking about "on the break". Brilliant!

You giving whole-game credit for one play. "He made a great play on LeBron in Game 6. So he def would have made the difference in the Denver series."

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    i think people forget our gm is the same gm who tanked the pistons.....brian wright is turrible

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LMAO. I remember the game just fine. I thought you said he owned LeBron on defense. You were only talking about "on the break". Brilliant!
    No, you don't. You thought Green guarded James up and down the court and looked at the box score. If you actually did remember the game, you'd know that Green guarded Wade and actually did really well on him. You can actually argue that the series was lost because Pop thought Diaw was the better choice to spell Kawhi on James than Green. The next year, he played Green on James more, and while it's not like Danny shut Lebron down, it didn't require the team to scramble to help him the way they had to with Diaw. It also helped that Leonard had grown over the last year and didn't need as much spelling as he did in 2013. Still, in both series, Green's defensive stats were tremendous.

You giving whole-game credit for one play. "He made a great play on LeBron in Game 6. So he def would have made the difference in the Denver series."
    It wasn't just a play. It was the best defensive play in the team's history. Regardless, the Spurs barely lost the Denver series despite playing no defenders besides White. Replace Forbes defense with Green's and is possible the Spurs win Game Two as well as Game One and pretty much close out the series pretty early.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People forgot at how super star dependent Green is for open looks. Highly unlikely he shoots as well without super star Kawhi on his team especially with all the spacing issues the Spurs have had over the past couple seasons.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Danny Green making the difference in Game 1

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People forgot at how super star dependent Green is for open looks. Highly unlikely he shoots as well without super star Kawhi on his team especially with all the spacing issues the Spurs have had over the past couple seasons.
    DeRozan and White would definitely know how to get him open shots

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Green legit sonned LeBron one-on-one on the break with the game on the line at the end of Game Six. He didn't shoot well, but his defense was on point, and it gave the team a chance to win. Hands down best defensive play by a perimeter defender in Spurs history, but because SA lost, folks remember the Leonard block on Westbrook more.
    Manu's block on Harden was way bigger. Just off impact alone. And that block from nephew on Westbrook is legendary. I thought we lost the series when Westbrook started running down the court

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Danny is our secrete weapon with the Flakers to help stop them from winning another ring.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Which one OP?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i think people forget our gm is the same gm who tanked the pistons.....brian wright is turrible
    I know why the did we hire this dude? We could not find someone better?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manu's block on Harden was way bigger. Just off impact alone. And that block from nephew on Westbrook is legendary. I thought we lost the series when Westbrook started running down the court
    It's hard to say blocking a desperation three in the second round is better than blocking the best player in the world one-on-one at the rim in the Finals. As far as Leonard goes, it's half of a legendary sequence along with Tim posting up Ibaka to seal the series. Basically, the Green play was sandwiched between a Manu turnover and a Parker brick. Imagine if Tim turns the ball over instead and the Thunder end up taking the game and series. That's basically what happened around the Green play. I don't have an issue putting either Leonard's or Manu's play as more iconic or legendary. But better? No. Stopping the best player in the league in his prime straight up with the series on the line, while being fouled? Can't think of another play like it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that's fair. Spurs just didn't win that game so it won't really be remembered

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Danny Green 1-8 from 3

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My about to get ring #3. Honestly happy for him, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    L.D.N.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pretty sure he was awesome in Game One.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like Danny got more ink since the last time I saw him play

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gotta give to Danny, guy made a solid career (two lucrative contracts) with bench level skills.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Gotta give to Danny, guy made a solid career (two lucrative contracts) with bench level skills.
    Patrick McCaw 3peated without getting off the bench

Thread Information