Pop on Derrick White: "I don't expect him back this season."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Vassell starting per Pop

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So it was officially a bad extension... Like it's not that White's not going to be worth it -- it's that it's obvious he wouldn't get a better deal in free agency. The Spurs will probably not need the cap space, but they did give up a large amount, and the gamble ended up not being worth it for the second extension in a row. I guess you can argue about keeping good relations, but from a pure money standpoint, they got unlucky twice in as many years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No ing excuses for Vassell to not get minutes. Spurs had no real hope of doing anything if they make the playoffs and even less so without White

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So it was officially a bad extension... Like it's not that White's not going to be worth it -- it's that it's obvious he wouldn't get a better deal in free agency. The Spurs will probably not need the cap space, but they did give up a large amount, and the gamble ended up not being worth it for the second extension in a row. I guess you can argue about keeping good relations, but from a pure money standpoint, they got unlucky twice in as many years.

I'm fine with it tbh; sucks they were unlucky but the extension was the right decision. Besides, you never know what stupid contracts are gonna be given out this offseason.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Vassell starting per Pop
    This is bigger news than Derrick being out for the season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hopefully the Spurs don't win another game this season. Need to get as far down the standings as possible.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Better play Rudy/Patty/Derozan as much as possible to end the year - I mean why would a rookie get any minutes on a 10th seed team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm fine with it tbh; sucks they were unlucky but the extension was the right decision. Besides, you never know what stupid contracts are gonna be given out this offseason.
    I'm not retroactively saying the reasoning was bad. I'm more saying the Spurs did the extension likely in order to avoid having to pay White way more money as an RFA. With this closing his year, it doesn't seem like that was a real concern. I thought the decision to extend him made sense then. It just ended up not being the case.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damnnnnnn that’s a big blow losing white the rest of the season, get well soon DWhite! Excited to see Vassell starting!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another factor in all this is that White tends to be a fast healer. I wouldn't be surprised to see him back if it's at all close. The issue is that we don't know if his injury history and fast-healing are related.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Excited to see vassell get those deserved minutes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Lonnie a permanent bench fixture

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not retroactively saying the reasoning was bad. I'm more saying the Spurs did the extension likely in order to avoid having to pay White way more money as an RFA. With this closing his year, it doesn't seem like that was a real concern. I thought the decision to extend him made sense then. It just ended up not being the case.
    Simply not true. An injured White (especially one not requiring surgery) would surely be enticing to the 4+ teams with cap space this offseason. 17 mil isn't much and one of these dumb teams would have probably thrown a lot more money than that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't love Walker off the bench with rest of the bench guys. It's still easy for him to get lost, and he doesn't play with any play-makers to help emphasize his off-ball game. Honestly, if Pop gives Lonnie the ball and tells him to create, there's a lot of upside there. Walker can look bad at times with the turnovers, but he can also look great breaking down a defense and finding the open man. It's a skill that really worth developing. But then Pop has to cut down on Mills dribble around trying to find a half-decent pull-up or Gay posting up. Those guys will naturally take the ball and make Walker a sporadic creator. They aren't even guys who'll set Lonnie up.

Vassell starting does still make sense, and I'd expect Walker's minutes to basically grow to replace White's while Vassell gets Lonnie's old minutes. Hopefully Mills' minutes don't just grow instead, but Pop may do that in order to have a "point guard" out there at all times.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Very happy Devin is starting.

Very unhappy White is out for the season.

Mystified how few pages Game Threads are these days. The casual fans have all fittered away like dust in the wind.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Simply not true. An injured White (especially one not requiring surgery) would surely be enticing to the 4+ teams with cap space this offseason. 17 mil isn't much and one of these dumb teams would have probably thrown a lot more money than that.
    Nah. White's value certainly didn't go up this year. If he was obviously worth more before the extension, I doubt he'd've signed for what he did. We're talking about a guy who at the end of this year is slated to have only played in 61 percent of available regular-season games. And being 26 already and only putting up 15/4/3 doesn't help. Dude's an impact player for sure and can easily still make his extension a steal, but how many clubs can throw $80M-$100M at him on a four-year deal and feel comfortable? I'd argue none. His closest comparison is Brogdon, and he played 76 percent of his games before his big deal that was signed in a more optimistic cap situation. Best I could see is the Knicks trying to give him Brogdon's deal again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hope this is the backcourt rotation we'll see when White comes back next season:

Murray/ White/ Tre
    Vassell/ Lonnie

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah. White's value certainly didn't go up this year. If he was obviously worth more before the extension, I doubt he'd've signed for what he did. We're talking about a guy who at the end of this year is slated to have only played in 61 percent of available regular-season games. And being 26 already and only putting up 15/4/3 doesn't help. Dude's an impact player for sure and can easily still make his extension a steal, but how many clubs can throw $80M-$100M at him on a four-year deal and feel comfortable? I'd argue none. His closest comparison is Brogdon, and he played 76 percent of his games before his big deal that was signed in a more optimistic cap situation. Best I could see is the Knicks trying to give him Brogdon's deal again.
    This is off topic, Chinook, but considering you feel White's extension was a gamble that didn't go our way, what do you think the Spurs should do about Lonnie this offseason? He's younger than White, has more upside, but has also been massively inconsistent and showed no defensive instincts. Should they extend him and, if so, really what would be a good deal? Or give Lonnie another year and risk him breaking out and then having an RFA situation? I'm leaning towards the latter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hope this is the backcourt rotation we'll see when White comes back next season:

Murray/ White/ Tre
    Vassell/ Lonnie
    Yeah. That would be my first choice. White on lower minutes for health reason and using his skills to set up Lonnie. Meanwhile, hopefully Devin turns into a great 3-D for the starting unit.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Devin is going to have to show a really quick and aggressive trigger finger to survive imo. that's something that White actually started doing at a solid level from outside

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Murray/ White/ Tre
    Vassell/ Lonnie
    or just have Murray/White/Vassell starting 1-3. move on from derozan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    or just have Murray/White/Vassell starting 1-3. move on from derozan.
    I had Keldon at the 3. I don't think Vassell is a 3. He's better at 2, IMO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I had Keldon at the 3. I don't think Vassell is a 3. He's better at 2, IMO.
    Vassell is much more of a 3 than Keldon tbh

Keldon is really a 3-4 tweener best fit to be a bench energy guy... or basically have the Rudy Gay role

Thread Information