Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is actually a pretty good thread. I'm getting pretty bored of talking about the same old prospects over and over. The lottery and the combine are the next big landmarks, and they should shed a little more light on what we might expect.
    +1

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Banchero
    Ivey
    Smith
    Holmgren

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll ask a different question since I don't follow the college scene at all:

Given the recent rumors about teams interested in Jakob, and knowing that besides him, the C rotation is maybe even more dreadful than the PF one; were the Spurs to trade Jak for mostly future assets (meaning, not a trade landing us another starting-level C), would this affect your (personal obv) drafting priorities/wishes?

I ask because, understandably, there's a lot of forum-wide wishing to draft the next, missing, starting PF for the team's core. But a Jak trade could really put that in the back seat. Neither Zollins (I don't trust that foot surviving a starting, 82-games season demand ever again) nor Landale are fit for starting whatsoever, and it's clear thus far that the Spurs will again look to field a relatively compe ive roster, especially with DJ's All-Star selection and the team missing the POs. I imagine the FO knows a player of DJ's (again, relative) caliber can begin to get impatient after 4 straight seasons of not making the playoffs.

So, basically, what are the best attainable C prospects? I'd assume we'd be looking for a high-floor, relatively high-ceiling type, especially with the #9 pick (lottery notwithstanding). None of the projected top picks are C's either (I see Chet as more a PF from the little I've seen of him, at least until/if he fills out his body). What are the "big fish" out there?

Thanks for any info, I like to at least know be familiar with the names to be interested in come draft night.
    You're looking at Duren, Williams, and Kessler... all 3 could soak up minutes at the 5 next year but, you're probably counting on Collins and Jock more because rookies are going to be up and down..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I gotta have more burn.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1987, 1997, 2022 sounds about right . Waiting for Chet
    Timmy's fault that we miss 2007.😂

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Timmy's fault that we miss 2007.��
    2007 was Greg Oden, so...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Banchero
    Smith
    Ivey
    Murray
    Mathurin
    Sharpe

No interest in Chet. Dude is gonna be a major bust.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Timmy's fault that we miss 2007.
    The Spurs got a ring that summer. Not a bad consolation prize.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Timmy's fault that we miss 2007.
    2017 when Spurs got Zaza’d

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Banchero
    Smith
    Ivey
    Murray
    Mathurin
    Sharpe

No interest in Chet. Dude is gonna be a major bust.
    I hope they all think like you do and Chet falls in Spurs lap. The same reason how scouts questioned Luka’s athleticism or lack thereof despite his complete at a young age. Chet is a unicorn at that size. He would prove a lot of people wrong if he get passed on

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope they all think like you do and Chet falls in Spurs lap. The same reason how scouts questioned Luka’s athleticism or lack thereof despite his complete at a young age. Chet is a unicorn at that size. He would prove a lot of people wrong if he get passed on
    Luka was setting the FIBA world on fire at 19, Chet was disappearing offensively in the NCAA tournament when his team needed him the most (It was Timme who had to carry the load). They don't even belong in the same sentence.

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    Silver needs to gift us the #1 pick for not turning the Leonard situation into a Simmons fiasco and for not tanking and trying to remain compe ive. Dude owes us imho

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Silver needs to gift us the #1 pick for not turning the Leonard situation into a Simmons fiasco and for not tanking and trying to remain compe ive. Dude owes us imho
    Sure but next year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To be clear, Chet is not going to be a bust in the same sense Hasheem Thabeet was a bust. He's clearly a skilled, coordinated guy standing over 7 feet tall, with high bball IQ and defensive instincts (awesome shotblocking) to go along. But the point is whether he's worthy of a 1st pick, and in that you have to take more into consideration, such as his ceiling offensively, whether he'll be bounced around in the paint by NBA talent guys (already happened in College), of if he's talented enough to be a consistent threat from the perimeter (he's a good shooter, but lets not kid ourselves into thinking he's Dirk).

Also, it's not that he's just skinny in the same way almost any teenager that size is, say KG or Giannis when they came into the league, his frame is much smaller and the grind of the NBA game will likely be tougher on him than everyone else, he'll fall down a dozen times every game, and that'll take a toll on him sooner rather than later. I'll take those chances later on in the draft, but for a 1st overall pick the thought of that makes me cringe, to the point that I'd rather have a 3rd of 4th pick and avoid those risks altogether.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To be clear, Chet is not going to be a bust in the same sense Hasheem Thabeet was a bust. He's clearly a skilled, coordinated guy standing over 7 feet tall, with high bball IQ and defensive instincts (awesome shotblocking) to go along. But the point is whether he's worthy of a 1st pick, and in that you have to take more into consideration, such as his ceiling offensively, whether he'll be bounced around in the paint by NBA talent guys (already happened in College), of if he's talented enough to be a consistent threat from the perimeter (he's a good shooter, but lets not kid ourselves into thinking he's Dirk).

Also, it's not that he's just skinny in the same way almost any teenager that size is, say KG or Giannis when they came into the league, his frame is much smaller and the grind of the NBA game will likely be tougher on him than everyone else, he'll fall down a dozen times every game, and that'll take a toll on him sooner rather than later. I'll take those chances later on in the draft, but for a 1st overall pick the thought of that makes me cringe, to the point that I'd rather have a 3rd of 4th pick and avoid those risks altogether.
    This is honestly why I'd be a little afraid of the 3rd or 4th pick. Paolo and Jabari could easily go with the top 2 picks, and then you are left with a choice between Chet and Ivey. I would take Ivey, but with the existing investment in guards, Chet is just screaming to be taken at that point. Give me #1 and I'll put my faith in the FO to pick the low floor guy and DJM to do the lobbying needed for the Seattle kid.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure but next year.
    Agreed. It would be much better to have the #1 pick next year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I am curious what you think, about his current body type vs how Ingram and Durant looked. Hes obviously not Durant at all. I dont mean this comparison in terms of their games, but whether the body hindered their careers, and how they were able to get stronger and still never look bulky because of their incredible length and stringy body type.

I dont generally like to compare to Giannis bc Giannis was a string bean when he came in but he was barely 18 right? And he’s not typical.

Chet is generally intriguing. I also wonder how he compares to a rookie Porzinguis.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m getting some nice rolls this morning on tankathon with getting a top 3 pick every 3rd roll.

everybody better be working their good mojo / supers ious leading up to the draft! We need all the good energy we can get.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So, basically, what are the best attainable C prospects? I'd assume we'd be looking for a high-floor, relatively high-ceiling type, especially with the #9 pick (lottery notwithstanding). None of the projected top picks are C's either (I see Chet as more a PF from the little I've seen of him, at least until/if he fills out his body). What are the "big fish" out there?

Thanks for any info, I like to at least know be familiar with the names to be interested in come draft night.
    Other than possibly Duren, there's not a lot of upside in the centers likely to go in the 1st round.

You might take a look at Ismael Kamagate (France) with the Spurs 2d round pick (#38). (Though he might not be there by then.)

He's a little older (21) but he's averaging 11.8/6.3 in Paris shooting 648% from the floor and 664% from the line -- not disastrous for an athletic guy whose 6'11" and 230.

Negative -- he can't/doesn't shoot the three at all.

Most importantly, he looks to have a good motor -- he's a high-end offensive rebounder. In short, he moves pretty well and looks intriguing.

Given the dearth of centers in this draft he might be worth a look at some point down the draft.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m getting some nice rolls this morning on tankathon with getting a top 3 pick every 3rd roll.

everybody better be working their good mojo / supers ious leading up to the draft! We need all the good energy we can get.

If you have any spare goats, I can give you some pointers.

If the Spurs name gets called in the lottery, this place is going to go nuts. One of those three bigs at the top is going to be better than the other two, but all three of them have such potential to fit this team well that they don't have to get the absolute #1 pick. Let's hope it's destiny in the making.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Other than possibly Duren, there's not a lot of upside in the centers likely to go in the 1st round.

You might take a look at Ismael Kamagate (France) with the Spurs 2d round pick (#38). (Though he might not be there by then.)

He's a little older (21) but he's averaging 11.8/6.3 in Paris shooting 648% from the floor and 664% from the line -- not disastrous for an athletic guy whose 6'11" and 230.

Negative -- he can't/doesn't shoot the three at all.

Most importantly, he looks to have a good motor -- he's a high-end offensive rebounder. In short, he moves pretty well and looks intriguing.

Given the dearth of centers in this draft he might be worth a look at some point down the draft.

You can draft Kamagate if you have good % shooters at the 2 and 3 and 4. Just need to have a good defensive presence and rebounder at the 5 if you have knock down shooters and athletic penetrators at the 2, 3 and 4.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lakers gets 1st
    oh wait

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I got 2nd overall on the 1st try

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we did luck into the 1 this year, it is too bad we can't exchange it for the 1 next year.

If we get 1, I have no idea who to take. It's not like we are drafting David, Tim, Shaq, Hakeem, or Lebron. There are 3 or 4 players who could go number one. That makes it a crapshoot and I am horrible at dice games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lakers gets 1st
    oh wait
    goes to new orleans , league pressures NO to trade zion for westbrook. That's all i got though. Lakers are pretty ed

Thread Information