Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs are just taking as many chances as possible at promising players/prospects and seeing who sticks. I like it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Solid signing. First vertical spacer since '17 Dedmon, if given opportunity he has a legit chance to become a rotation backup.

Strong individual metrics for the 76ers last season (granted, typical for vertical spacing C's and small sample size).

Is it me or does it kinda feel like Collins could be moved before the deadline?
    Maybe, but probably more so Poeltl insurance (although I always figured there'd be some sort of salary dump (Plumlee, Birch) or project (Jones) big coming back), since he's a rim runner.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There was some poster here who was high on Bassey. Hope he pans out
    That's me! I am largely biased as he spent his HS freshman year at my alma mater. But I think he's got potential as an Andre Drummond-type (not to that caliber, but the type of player). And if we trade Jak, we are going to need some size to eat up minutes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn’t follow this guy at all but seems like he killed it in college… advanced metrics-wise, at least. Wonder why he didn’t go lottery. His stats were that good.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow could be legitimately the most exciting G-League team the Spurs have ever assembled.
    Wesley, Branham, Barlowe, Alize Johnson and Bassey? All guys have legitimate shots to have fruitful NBA careers (even if long term it isn’t with the Spurs).

I’ve been critical of Brian W before, but he deserves a lot of credit for pivoting where he has lately ie. selling high on DJ and Derrick, and identifying talents that weren’t necessarily panning out here or at other destinations and making moves accordingly.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Better use of a two way contract than bringing back Joe Wieskamp. It’s too bad about Joe but I am all for developing a big man. Average swing players are a dime a dozen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn’t follow this guy at all but seems like he killed it in college… advanced metrics-wise, at least. Wonder why he didn’t go lottery. His stats were that good.
    He's not a shooter, and he's not the athletic freak that Duren is. I thought he would have been at least a first rounder, and I was really ticked when we drafted Weezy over him, but the story I got is that guys like him just aren't valued in today's NBA.

With that said, guys like Andre Drummond definitely have a place, and I see Bassey as that type of player.

He was the next big thing his Freshman year in HS, winning MVP of the Jordan Brand Classic. I think he put up 20pts 17 reb 6 blks/gm as a Freshman. Our high school has NEVER been a basketball powerhouse or even anything remotely compe ive outside of the catholic school circuit, so it was a big deal when he rolled in with a lot of other big recruits. It was obvious there was something fishy going on and they got busted.

I'm pumped about this, as we blow out the T-Wolves and watch the tank go up in flames

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Bassey’s representation had discussions with 22 NBA teams, which included the Detroit Pistons, Cleveland Cavaliers, Phoenix Suns and Toronto Raptors, after he was waived by the Sixers on Oct. 13. With roster spots already taken, most franchises wanted Bassey to sign an Exhibit-10 deal, which allows NBA teams to offer players a bonus for playing with their G League affiliates. The expectation was he would play for their G League affiliate this season and sign to the 15-man roster next season."
    “It’s a young organization,” Bassey said of joining a squad with five 19-year-olds on the roster. “They are rebuilding. I feel like I’m going to have a great chance to play in a pretty good organization. And it’s a character organization. Everybody does stuff the same. ... I feel like I’m going to fit right in.”
    https://www.inquirer.com/sixers/sixe...-20221024.html

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m not expecting him to ever play for the Spurs, but hopefully he shows something.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice pickup for a defensive big and only 22 yrs old.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like he has developed a three point shot! I realize this is just highlights of garbage time, but he looked good there! Really hope to see him get some more run.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OK, I’m sold.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I haven't seen anything to suggest he couldn't be a solid backup relatively soon.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A good, physical player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    After watching the Austin Spurs play, I predicted Bassey could help the squad right away if they brought him down from Austin. He is going to be a very strong defender and rebounder and can handle the ball on the PNR for some easy baskets at the rim. We haven't had a athletic big with a physical game like this since I don't know when. Give him more minutes.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe something salvageable from the 2021 draft yet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He seems like one of those rare Spurs players we’ve had where they dominated g league and was too good to be kept there. I wonder if he stays with the main team from this point forward. Probably not since he’s still on a two way.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    After watching the Austin Spurs play, I predicted Bassey could help the squad right away if they brought him down from Austin. He is going to be a very strong defender and rebounder and can handle the ball on the PNR for some easy baskets at the rim. We haven't had a athletic big with a physical game like this since I don't know when. Give him more minutes.
    Probably DR50 and to a lesser extent Blair

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He seems like one of those rare Spurs players we’ve had where they dominated g league and was too good to be kept there. I wonder if he stays with the main team from this point forward. Probably not since he’s still on a two way.
    If he proves himself enough he could be converted after a mid season trade or waive Hill, however at this moment we need a PG more than a big man.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I haven't seen anything to suggest he couldn't be a solid backup relatively soon.
    I think they’ve reinstated the limit on 2ways that was relaxed the last two seasons. The original rule was 45 days, whether they are game days, travel days, practice days, or off days.

As an aside, he doesn’t appear on the top ten of any of the combine tests. Not vert, shuttle sprint, box agility. The only places his name appeared was height, and wingspan, and neither was overwhelming. He’s 6’9.25 (no shoes) and his wingspan is 7’3”, slightly less than +6 length. Easy to see why he slipped into the second round. Teams love the combine performers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's good at boxing out, good roll man, strong rebounder, shotblocker, got a 3-point shot, lob threat. I don't see any downsides. Give the guy more minutes. If you ask me he can probably give you 80% of what Poeltl gives you right away

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think they’ve reinstated the limit on 2ways that was relaxed the last two seasons. The original rule was 45 days, whether they are game days, travel days, practice days, or off days.
    As far as I can actually tell, this isn't true. What happened is the league amended the rules for two-way guys a few years ago to set up a 50-game limit and then suspended that rule because of COVID. So teams were allowed to basically keep their two-way players all year with no restrictions. Now, the NBA rolled back that suspension and restored the amended rules. So there's not a "days" measurement but a "games active" measurement.

Someone else can go through the trouble of imbedding this tweet from Woj if they want: https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1...-in-2022-23%2F

The CBA FAQ also has the 50-game limit, and it didn't suggest that was a temporary standard either, though there is a reference to the old 45-day limit you were talking about.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's good at boxing out, good roll man, strong rebounder, shotblocker, got a 3-point shot, lob threat. I don't see any downsides. Give the guy more minutes. If you ask me he can probably give you 80% of what Poeltl gives you right away
    The new terminology is processor speed. In English, he knows where to be on the court and when to be there. Vassell is another one like that. They know how to move in space on both ends of a basketball court to get done what needs to be done, whether it’s finishing a scoring opportunity, getting a steal, or blocking a shot. There was a play last night where CB contested a 3 pointer AND got a very short rebound in the restricted area. I had to check the number on the rebounder to verify it. 28.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he was also able to stay in front of Bones Hyland. Might be the only Spur who can do that

Thread Information