Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’s better creating off of his own scoring action than just pure creating. He’s been pretty bad as a backup PG.
    Not signing another PG (besides Hall) makes you think Blake would be coming soon. Isn’t Kemba still available? But he be better off playing in China where he can make more money

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    of a loss against a good team for Spurs to have still negated a double digit deficit, not once but twice. To have still had a chance to outright win the game on the last shot, not once but twice.

All of that on a pretty poor night's showing from SA. All of that just to still secure a L towards a better pick that might give the team a real chance to contend again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Last night was Spurs playing with house money. Win as closely as you can while still ultimately losing for the better draft pick

Golden tank

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know Zollins' contract, but 7m seems cheap for him, if he shows he can stay healthy.

To me, and jumping way ahead, if Bassey shows he can be a spot starter, then I feel comfortable trading Poeltl. I also think Collins and Bassey can co-exist on the court and are definitely worth seeing together.
    I think it’s more than probably he should get paid, but not egregious or harmful with sA cap situation. But they can clear 7M with no issues - not something you do for no reason, but if you need the cap space to land a max FA ? Nice to have that in your pocket - especially if SA lands a top pick in draft and wants to approach next season as full go towards PO again…

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jeremy's lack of rebounding is pretty glaring, and you have to have on some pretty thick Homer goggles not to acknowledge that.

I haven't been able to watch much of the last 2 games but what is making him struggle so much there? Is he having issues getting into position for the rebounds or something?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tre has to play 48 minutes?
    Wish he didn't have to play that many minutes considering we really don't have a good backup pg. I know its early but is anyone in the G league showing any promise as a point guard that we should keep an eye out for ?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Five of the seven losses have come at home. Granted, fairly tough compe ion, but I feel like this team may do better on the road given the awful crowd attendance.

Also, the schedule gets lighter very soon. They face the Lakers three times nearly in a row, for example, and bad teams like Orlando and Houston. I feel like they're clearly better than those teams.
    this is what I'm worried about. We can't afford to go on a winning streak since we're not even at the bottom yet

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Guys, guys, guys.

I know it's been three games, but Bassey is eye popping. …

Right now, I'm like... how did the Sixers not give him a chance? …

Looks like the Sixers simply decided to keep Paul Reed. Reed was there longer, and had an ok season last year, going by the stats. And the Sixers don’t have a reputation for player development. Did they know what they were looking at?

Judging by how hard Bassey is playing, it appears he knows he’s stepped into a better situation with the Spurs.

Dieng can be traded after Dec 15. Vet minimum contract. People are talking about Zollins and Poeltl, but I’d suppose the first move toward giving Bassey a regular contract would be Dieng. One step at a time. A Dieng trade wouldn’t have to return much. It isn’t a high-dollar roster spot. If a trade isn’t possible, waiving Dieng to add Bassey would be fine. So it seems to me. Presuming Bassey keeps looking good.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tre has to play 48 minutes?

That’s the thing. When Wesley got hurt it all went mucky. 6 to 8 weeks, they said, on that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this is what I'm worried about. We can't afford to go on a winning streak since we're not even at the bottom yet
    I don't think the Spurs will be a bottom team or that close. I've been watching other games. Houston looks absolutely awful. Orlando is better, but not terribly good. Etc. The Spurs will beat some good teams, in addition.

I do see a win streak coming up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like the Sixers simply decided to keep Paul Reed. Reed was there longer, and had an ok season last year, going by the stats. And the Sixers don’t have a reputation for player development. Did they know what they were looking at?

Judging by how hard Bassey is playing, it appears he knows he’s stepped into a better situation with the Spurs.

Dieng can be traded after Dec 15. Vet minimum contract. People are talking about Zollins and Poeltl, but I’d suppose the first move toward giving Bassey a regular contract would be Dieng. One step at a time. A Dieng trade wouldn’t have to return much. It isn’t a high-dollar roster spot. If a trade isn’t possible, waiving Dieng to add Bassey would be fine. So it seems to me. Presuming Bassey keeps looking good.
    I'm not sure Dieng will be of interest to anybody. However, he seems to be a really great locker room and bench guy. He always seems to be positive and pumping guys up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jeremy's lack of rebounding is pretty glaring, and you have to have on some pretty thick Homer goggles not to acknowledge that. …

I’d say Sochan might be too concerned about getting in the way of Poeltl or Keldon. Also concerned about getting called for a foul. The NBA, and the Spurs, are still very new to him. Give it another 20 games, then take another look, it seems to me. He’s only played 256 total minutes in the NBA so far.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A bit worrying that Brooks totally shut down Keldon Johnson ... otherwise nice outing by the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doc Rivers & Philly are making strange decisions. They seemed really high on Bassey this summer, and now after waiving him (ostensibly because Paul Reed was better?) still only play Reed 7 mpg, even with Embiid missing 4 of Philly's 11 games. I don't understand Doc's rotations at all. I can't help thinking that once Reed is free of the 76ers, he'll be playing 20mpg somewhere, and so at the same time might Bassey, while Doc continues to talk about how to solve the back up center dilemma.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    better not let Bassey go the way of Darius Days lol
    People need to take a ing pill. He’s under team control for at least the rest of this season.

Speaking of Mr. days, Miami waived him, Houston picked him up, and he hasn’t played one ing NBA minute.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A bit worrying that Brooks totally shut down Keldon Johnson ... otherwise nice outing by the Spurs.
    Keldon looked bad, like he was hurting. Zero energy. He played off ball almost the entire first half.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doc Rivers & Philly are making strange decisions. They seemed really high on Bassey this summer, and now after waiving him (ostensibly because Paul Reed was better?) still only play Reed 7 mpg, even with Embiid missing 4 of Philly's 11 games. I don't understand Doc's rotations at all. I can't help thinking that once Reed is free of the 76ers, he'll be playing 20mpg somewhere, and so at the same time might Bassey, while Doc continues to talk about how to solve the back up center dilemma.
    Doc Rivers sucks, and he’s been coasting off his Boston chip for over a decade. Why that clown continues to get interviews, let alone jobs is a ing mystery.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’d say Sochan might be too concerned about getting in the way of Poeltl or Keldon. Also concerned about getting called for a foul. The NBA, and the Spurs, are still very new to him. Give it another 20 games, then take another look, it seems to me. He’s only played 256 total minutes in the NBA so far.

Spot on! The never ending saga of rookie expectations��

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sochan has been averaging 3.5 rebounds. He’s a PF. I think he can up that, and with his handles, he can rimrun and create opportunities.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe Johnson has spent most of the season going against teams without a supposed wing defender or a tough defender like Brooks. Seems like most of his offense is off the catch or early transition against teams with suspect wing defenders. DeRozan, Hield, Tobias etc.

I suppose that as they face teams with more reputable defenders who will look to deny his quick looks and make him work for it, his numbers will be a little harder to come by

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Guys, guys, guys.

I know it's been three games, but Bassey is eye popping. I thought he was a lasting journeyman type or a Cacok type who might hustle and do the right things, but just be limited and never all that good.

Right now, I'm like... how did the Sixers not give him a chance? He's not making mistakes. He's often making great cuts or reads, has great hands, has vision, plays above his height, is physical, has bounce from a standstill, hustles, has a nice form and touch on his shots, might have good range on his jump shots. He's not lost guarding the perimeter and he rebounds.

I mean, what's going on? I'm not going gaga and saying he's a full time starter or anything, but it's hard to see this as a fluke. These aren't fluke plays. It's like Pop was saying after his G-League performance, Why aren't we playing this guy? He's basically a big plus every time he's on the floor.
    Good post.

The knock on Bassey at Western Kentucky was that he didn't have much feel. The supposed statistical proof of that was his 3-to-1 turnovers-to-assist ratio. Bigs without feel aren't worth much of anything these days -- so he slipped in the draft.

But the most important thing so far is it looks like Bassey actually has feel. I don't see any issues with him making quick, smart passes. He looks pretty good defending out on the perimeter. He sets heady screens away from the ball.

One of three things has to be happening: 1) Bassey is a late bloomer who is starting to figure everything out, 2) Bassey simply didn't have any decent teammates on Western Kentucky so he wasn't able to show off his feel, 3) this is a fluke and Bassey will come back down to earth.

I'll guess we'll find out but there are really good signs so far

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does Bassey make SA clear Collins 7M off the books next season?
    Collins is safe unless he suffers another serious injury. If he returns in a month or so and keeps producing at his previous pace, he's too good to release when you can just keep him on a one-year, $7 million contract.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jeremy's lack of rebounding is pretty glaring, and you have to have on some pretty thick Homer goggles not to acknowledge that.

I haven't been able to watch much of the last 2 games but what is making him struggle so much there? Is he having issues getting into position for the rebounds or something?
    To be fair to Sochan, he's defending out on the perimeter a majority of the time. Last night, he was mostly on Bane and sometimes on Morant. Against the Nuggets, he spent a lot of time defending Jamal Murray. When he's chasing those guys around screens, he's not in rebounding position at all.

Sochan still has to rebound more by crashing the glass from the perimeter but it's not like opponents are constantly jumping over him for offensive rebounds or anything like that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Brooks is the most physical perimeter defender in the league (it's not an accident that he has the highest foul rate for all perimeter players). Last night, the refs were allowing the teams to be physical -- which played a part in KJ struggling. But, yeah, KJ still has room to grow in terms of drawing fouls and getting to the line. With the type of defense being played against him last night, KJ could have lived even more on the line if he played his cards right.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sochan picked up 6.6 rebounds in 25 minutes per game at Baylor. (Note: he came off the bench.) A bit better per 36mins than Banchero, a bit worse than Keegan Murray.

I agree with timvp that he's often guarding the perimeter and out of position for boards. I'm sure this will be a point of emphasis for his development.

Also, I'd like to see him develop more of a mid-range. He has a decent turnaround. Like Parker, they may need to instruct him to not let loose from depth so much and start mixing it up. He's quick enough to get past initial defenders.

Thread Information