Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Denver Nuggets
    If everyone who thought about the actual consequences and dangers of their potential act of heroism, then the world would be even more ed up than it is.

My definition of a hero includes going above and beyond normal expectations of goodness, bravery, courage and nobility.

Good to see yours, Boutons...hope I am never in need when you are present.

Rather then jump onto the rails to rescue you, Boutons would take a mental note of everything that happened while you die. He would then come to spurstalk.com (immediately) and post about what happened and explain that the governments lack of safety funding in the subway system at hand was because the President was spending too much money in Iraq and there was no reason you should have died such a horrible death.

Nostradamas Jr.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Rather then jump onto the rails to rescue you, Boutons would take a mental note of everything that happened while you die. He would then come to spurstalk.com (immediately) and post about what happened and explain that the governments lack of safety funding in the subway system at hand was because the President was spending too much money in Iraq and there was no reason you should have died such a horrible death.

Well, that makes me feel a little better then.

Goodwill Ambassador spurs_fan_in_exile's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Houston Cougars
    I saw this story on the news this morning. When asked why he did he responded that his kids were standing right there and he didn't want them to see someone die right in front of there eyes. My first thought was, "Wouldn't it be at least twice as traumatic if the kids watched their dad die along with a total stranger?" It's that kind of quick thinking that will probably prevent me from ever getting one of these stories written about me. This dudes got a set of brass ones, that's for sure.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I'm not sure I'd have had the courage to that.

Wow.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    We're discussing hypotheticals.
    I bet nobody can say here exactly what they would do in that man's position with a few seconds to make decison. What would you do?

I hope your are never in need when I'm absent.

What would people be saying here if the father had killed himself and the victim, turning both of them into dozens of minced body parts, right in front of his 2 daughters?

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Denver Nuggets
    We're discussing hypotheticals.
    I bet nobody can say here exactly what they would do in that man's position with a few seconds to make decison. What would you do?

I hope your are never in need when I'm absent.

What would people be saying here if the father had killed himself and the victim, turning both of them into dozens of minced body parts, right in front of his 2 daughters?

That the guy was a hero for trying to do something that no one else in the general vicinity would attempt. ANd that his death is a tragedy and a tremendous loss for his family but he'll always be remembered as a hero that put others lives ahead of his own.

Ass

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Perhaps something along the lines of John 15:13?

Tiaaaaaaagoooo Stephen A. Smith's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Miami Heat
    We'd be discussing the guy in this thread if he ate it.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57036

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    aw, , yet another Bible-thumping simpleton.

The guy on rails wasn't his "friend", and St. John said nothing about exposing your kids to neuroticizing trauma, poverty, lost opportunities, etc, etc and big city Child Protective Agency rat's maze.

Back in St John's day, children (and women) were pretty like cattle and pets.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Denver Nuggets

The guy on rails wasn't his "friend", and St. John said nothing about exposing your kids to neuroticizing trauma, poverty, lost opportunities, etc, etc and big city Child Protective Agency rat's maze.

Good God you're a ing ass hole.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Try again skippy. That's why I typed "Along the lines of...".

RIF

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I was just in the New York subways 2 wks ago
    The Meatball Marinaras there are tremendous.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    New Mexico Lobos
    Boutons thinks children, cattle and pets are "pretty".

You sick bas !!!!

needs a margarita
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Boutons thinks children, cattle and pets are "pretty".

You sick bas !!!!
    Are you sure you aren't confusing him with Tlong?

Name
    Christy
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    New York Cheers Subway Rescuer
    Commuter Saves Man From Oncoming Train
    By Rick Hampson
    USA Today

NEW YORK (Jan. 4) - A day after he jumped into the path of a subway train to save the life of a stranger, Wesley Autrey got a $5,000 reward, a day off and universal acclaim in a city where you supposedly don't speak to people you don't know, let alone rescue them. "I just tried to do the right thing," said the 50-year-old Harlem construction worker.

"It ain't about being a hero, it was just being there and helping the next person. That's all I did."

On Tuesday afternoon Autrey leaped down from a subway station platform after Cameron Hollopeter, 20, apparently suffered a seizure and fell between the tracks.

Autrey had to leave his two daughters, ages 4 and 6, on the platform. It was that, he said, or have the girls see a man run over by a subway train.

Down on the tracks, Autrey saw a train's headlights in the tunnel. He shoved the disoriented student into the only space where they had a chance to survive — the shallow, grimy drainage trough between the tracks.

The train passed over them, with about 2 inches' clearance. Autrey later showed reporters grease stains on his wool hat that he said came from the train's undercarriage.

On Wednesday Autrey got the day off from work at a Brooklyn construction site and visited the New York Film Academy, where Hollopeter is a student.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    "Back in St John's day, children (and women) were pretty like cattle and pets."

oops, "petty". or "pretty disposable".

Women and children really haven't gotten much consideration until the last 150 years ago, in industrial countries. In backward countries (most of the world), women and children are murdered for "honor" or in work/sex slavery. 1000 wife/sister honor murders/year in Pakistan. Pretty much the same in India.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    To risk your life when you have at least two young children to support is a difficult ethical question, the "horns of a dilemma"

I lose my and the person's life, and my two children are without a father and provider.

I let the victim die, but my two children still have their father and provider.
    this is called utilitarianism. What would be the greatest good for the majority of the people

Nostradamas Jr.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The Meatball Marinaras there are tremendous.

Went to John's Pizza in Times Square....it was awesome.

Thread Information