Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    A smaller pool (8-10) for the PO's would mean a lot of those "smaller" schools (e.g., Hawaii, Boise St.) would have to start scheduling tougher OOC opponents. I'm sure if that were to happen, we'd see less 10-0 records from some of these schools. In essence, the RS would be like a pre-PO as schools would HAVE to start competing more in order to make the top 8-10 slots. Therefore, if Hawaii were to go 12-0, but play a very weak schedule, it'd be their own fault for not scheduling tougher OOC opponents. Subjectivity would still occur, but to a lesser extent, and there would need to be a structure much like the BCS today where different "polls" would be combined to field the top 8-10 slots. And definitely no preferential treatment clauses a'la Notre Dame.

Honestly, most of the time I can see the other side of an argument, even if I don't agree with it.

But to those who don't want playoffs, I understand their thinking perfectly.

Their reasons are:

a) We make a lot of money now, and change brings uncertainty.

b) We have a nice crony relationship with the existing bowl structure, and don't want to ruffle feathers.

c) In a playoff system, people outside our close-knit circle of cronies might get some of the money and/or power.

d) Our boosters are corrupt good ol' boys who resist change, and we don't want to risk angering them.

e) We have to make up phony reasons other than money because "officially" we are non-profit ins utions in the business of educating people, rather than franchises in a sports league where we get away with not paying the players and get to keep all the lucre for ourselves and our friends.

f) We don't really care about compe ive integrity anyway; it's all about $$$$$.

I'm probably forgetting a couple of reasons off the top of my head, but they are just as obvious.
    FIFY

I'm your huckleberry K-State Spur's Avatar
    My Team
    Kansas State Wildcats
    Post Count
    A smaller pool (8-10) for the PO's would mean a lot of those "smaller" schools (e.g., Hawaii, Boise St.) would have to start scheduling tougher OOC opponents. I'm sure if that were to happen, we'd see less 10-0 records from some of these schools. In essence, the RS would be like a pre-PO as schools would HAVE to start competing more in order to make the top 8-10 slots. Therefore, if Hawaii were to go 12-0, but play a very weak schedule, it'd be their own fault for not scheduling tougher OOC opponents. Subjectivity would still occur, but to a lesser extent, and there would need to be a structure much like the BCS today where different "polls" would be combined to field the top 8-10 slots. And definitely no preferential treatment clauses a'la Notre Dame.
    Uhhh, it's not the smaller schools who prevent match-ups with the BCS powers. Name teams view a Hawaii match-up as a lose/lose, and they certainly don't want to enter into any agreement that forces them to play a road game.

GTL: Gym, Tan, Laundry Thunder Dan's Avatar
    My Team
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    Post Count

What say you?

The Wetzel plan

Go Buckeyes!!

See the Buckeyes/USC/Troy are under my plan to solve some of the problems with the BCS. Ohio State plays both Troy and USC in 2008, and in my plan teams woul have to do just that.

You might be wondering what my plan is, let me explain:

The problem with the BCS is that teams create their own schedules, yet are still given the same chance to make the big pay-day. I won't hear or discuss arguments about what conference is weak or which is better because frankly conferences all go in cycles. The SEC and Pac10 might be the best now, but a couple years ago the Pac10 was nothing, and the ACC was the cream de la creme. We will never change the conference games, but the NCAA can change who teams play OOC. Under my plan, teams will be matched during 2 open weeks in September. The teams will be matched by the NCAA off of the previous year's results. I know that using prior year's results doesn't solve to problem of 'out of nowhere' teams, and that prior years shouldn't decide current times. But it's better than the alternatives. Ohio State could get paired to play USC and Troy, and say Oklahoma might have to play LSU and South Florida. This would just knock out teams and level the playing field. It would also limit the number of cupcake games. So right after the season those dates can be filled.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    It is pretty gay that Ohio State doesn't play anymore big games like other teams, so they get to the National Championship.

Post Count
    It is pretty gay that Ohio State doesn't play anymore big games like other teams, so they get to the National Championship.
    The moral of the story is "don't lose your big games". Especially against a 4-7 team.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    The moral of the story is "don't lose your big games". Especially against a 4-7 team.
    I just don't like seeing a team who hasn't played the last like week or 2 go to the Championship game. A lot of people are gonna be pissed off that aren't Ohio State fans.

Post Count
    I just don't like seeing a team who hasn't played the last like week or 2 go to the Championship game. A lot of people are gonna be pissed off that aren't Ohio State fans.
    I understand, but you have to close out with a win, which we did.

Definitely would have been a perfect year for a playoff.

I understand, but you have to close out with a win, which we did.

Definitely would have been a perfect year for a playoff.

I agree, if the Division 1 had a PO, then college football wouldn't be in this mess. Of course BCS fans would argue that not having a clear #1 v #2 is what the BCS is all about.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    How about this:

The winners of the BCS conferences (SEC, B12, B10, Pac 10, ACC, and Big East) getting auto bids.

The WAC and the MWC champs play for one bid, and the Sun Belt and CUSA champs play for another, the week before the rest of the playoffs start. Think of it like the NFL wild card round or the NCAA hoops tourney play in. They're automatically seeded #7 and #8.

1- Ohio State v. 8- UCF
    4- USC v. 5- Virginia Tech

2- LSU v. 7- Hawaii
    3- Oklahoma v. 6- West Virginia

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    How about this:

The winners of the BCS conferences (SEC, B12, B10, Pac 10, ACC, and Big East) getting auto bids.

The WAC and the MWC champs play for one bid, and the Sun Belt and CUSA champs play for another, the week before the rest of the playoffs start. Think of it like the NFL wild card round or the NCAA hoops tourney play in. They're automatically seeded #7 and #8.

1- Ohio State v. 8- UCF
    4- USC v. 5- Virginia Tech

2- LSU v. 7- Hawaii
    3- Oklahoma v. 6- West Virginia
    I like that a lot of a proposed system, except I would tweak it only slightly.

6 BCS Conference Champs get automatic bid.

1 At large Bid

1 Bid for the highest ranked non-BCS conference school, provided they are in the top X (12? 10?) otherwise its another at-large.

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    ESPN is reporting that the SEC Commissioner is on record saying something to the effect of "This season may provide us insight as to whether or not #1 vs #2 is enough to decide the national champion" and there is speculation a 4 team playoff may be discussed!

Thread Information