Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bolt EV beats EPA range, 75-kWh Tesla in Consumer Reports test

The Bolt EV was the only electric car that CR tested that was able to exceed its EPA-estimated electric range.

The Bolt EV achieved 250 miles on a single charge, the longest range of any EV the outlet has tested to date. Considering the EPA rated the Bolt EV at 238 miles,

CR specifically calls out the Tesla Model S 75D and the Tesla Model X 75D.

The Model S reached 235 miles (EPA estimate: 259 miles), while the Model X achieved just 230 (EPA estimate: 257 miles).

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/c...-reports-test/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    with gas going up the car would be nice

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can plug it in at my house and now the energy to run my car can come from coal instead of gasoline!
    prices will skyrocket when cal refuses to sell gas cars
    good thing you bought it now

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Electric Car Growth Produces Battery Shortages, Carmakers Can’t Match Production With Demand

The earlier than anticipated onset of successful, fairly affordable, long-range electric vehicle (EV) demand has caught both battery manufacturers and car companies by surprise — even the most bullish of car companies.Carmakers like GM, Renault, Hyundai, Daimler, BMW, and VW have all seen demand exceed capabilities and expectations, and battery shortages are evident.

in 2017, Hyundai encountered unanticipated demand for the Ioniq EV and was unable to satisfy the demand.

The problem was Hyundai didn’t have enough batteries because LG Chem didn’t have enough batteries.

whenever OEMs tout the ability to quickly ‘increase production’ due to unseen demand (which as we know, rarely ever actually materializes) – without accounting for the fact they don’t have an existing commitment to a 3rd party battery supplier for those cells.”

the increased demand results in delivery delays, as Norwegian customers have experienced with the Kona EV, with its
    rapid popularity.

they are at the mercy of all their compe ion — which bids for the same factory output and may delay shipments to Daimler, thus limiting EV volumes.
    Daimler, BMW, VW, Nissan, Renault, as well as various Chinese electric car and electric bus companies are in compe ion for cells from CATL.

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/08/12...eanTechnica%29

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If fossil fuels are so bad then why did God let Adam ride velociraptors in Eden?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The World's Cobalt Supply Is In Jeopardy

https://www.forbes.com/sites/greatsp.../#7b805641be58

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "We’re looking at creating a housing compound on site at the Gigafactory, using kind of high-quality mobile homes."
    http://www.thedrive.com/news/24163/t...using-compound

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Texas is trying to block Tesla from even servicing its cars in direct sale battle with car dealers

the automaker’s situation is becoming even more precarious in the state as a new bill that could block them from even servicing their cars is being introduced.

a free market issue as car dealers appear to be using the law to protect themselves from compe ion and create a monopoly.

Texans have bought thousands of Tesla vehicles, which the automaker delivers from other states to comply with the law.

Tesla has been able to service those vehicles through its own service centers, which are not subject to those same direct-sale rules,

but now dealers are even going after Tesla’s right to service its cars.

Republican Senator Kelly Han introduced a new bill (SB 1415) that would ban Tesla from servicing its cars through its own service centers if it gets through the legislature.

https://electrek.co/2019/03/16/tesla-service-ban-texas/

hole Texas never disappoints

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Europe is beating the US in the battery race—with China’s help

In the race to make more batteries, Europe is beating the US with a little help from China.

An analysis of announced and committed investments shows that, by 2023, Europe will have more lithium-ion battery manufacturing capacity than the US.

Europe is expected to increase its lithium-ion capacity from 18 GWh today—enough to make 300,000 fully electric vehicles (EVs)—to 198 GWh in the next four years.

The US is only expected to grow its capacity to 130 GWh in the same period.

And neither region will beat China, which is expected to reach 800 GWh by then.

in just a decade, the US lost the pole position to China and will soon lose second place to Europe. How did that happen?

China’s lead is easier to explain ...

Between 2009 and 2018, the national and local governments went on to provide as much as
    $60 billion in direct and indirect subsidies, creating an industry that now manufactures and sells more than 1 million EVs each year.

Since 2017, the US government under Donald Trump has done little to support its electric-car industry, which continues to rely heavily on the success of Tesla.

https://qz.com/1679138/europe-is-beating-the-us-in-the-battery-race-with-chinas-help/amp/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Texas is trying to block Tesla from even servicing its cars in direct sale battle with car dealers

the automaker’s situation is becoming even more precarious in the state as a new bill that could block them from even servicing their cars is being introduced.

a free market issue as car dealers appear to be using the law to protect themselves from compe ion and create a monopoly.

Texans have bought thousands of Tesla vehicles, which the automaker delivers from other states to comply with the law.

Tesla has been able to service those vehicles through its own service centers, which are not subject to those same direct-sale rules,

but now dealers are even going after Tesla’s right to service its cars.

Republican Senator Kelly Han introduced a new bill (SB 1415) that would ban Tesla from servicing its cars through its own service centers if it gets through the legislature.

https://electrek.co/2019/03/16/tesla-service-ban-texas/

hole Texas never disappoints
    Teslas warranty specifically says if anyone other than tesla does the service it will potentially void the warranty.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Teslas warranty specifically says if anyone other than tesla does the service it will potentially void the warranty.
    https://www.vox.com/energy-and-envir...st-electricity

(One interesting possibility: there are going to be gigawatts worth of discarded electric-vehicle batteries soon, each with energy capacity remaining. There are efforts afoot to bundle them together as grid storage, with potentially extremely low LCOSE. An area to watch.)

levelized cost of energy storage (LCOSE)

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trump is trying to kill electric cars but will kill jobs and the climate instead

The global electric car boom can't be stopped, but Trump policies would insure U.S. workers miss out on it.

Two new analyses from Bloomberg this week make clear

just how bad President Donald Trump’s policies are for the domestic electric car market and U.S. workers.

In the first report,

Bloomberg New Energy Finance (BNEF) explains that

Trump’s plan to roll back Obama-era fuel efficiency and emissions standards for vehicles would eliminate any federal requirement for carmakers to build electric vehicles (EVs).

BNEF also explains that
    the deal Ford, Honda, Volkswagen, and BMW struck with California last week to avoid the full rollback will not undo most of the damage.

In the second

BNEF concluded that the rapid price drops in the cost of batteries that have driven the energy storage and EV revolutions this decade will continue for the next decade.

while Trump can slow adoption of high-efficiency EVs in the United States, other countries — the E.U. and especially China — will simply keep adopting them so quickly that he cannot stop the global EV revolution.

https://thinkprogress.org/trump-is-trying-to-kill-electric-cars-but-will-kill-jobs-and-the-climate-instead/

So Trash is doing favors for BigAuto (removing pressure to go electric) and BigOil (keeping burning it)

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TRUMP ADMINISTRATION KILLED A SELF-DRIVING CAR COMMITTEE — AND DIDN’T TELL MEMBERS

An all-star team of transpo bigwigs had just one meeting before the DOT went radio silent

Trump administration quietly terminated an Obama-era federal committee on automation in transportation earlier this year, the Department of Transportation confirmed to The Verge this week. What’s more, the DOT never informed some members that the advisory group didn’t exist anymore, including

Captain Chesley “Sully” Sullenberger,
    Zipcar founder Robin Chase,
    Apple vice president Lisa Jackson, and
    even the committee’s own vice chair,

The committee’s dissolution comes at a critical moment in the development of automated vehicles in the United States.

During the two-plus years that it sat dormant, multiple
    companies have rolled out small commercial fleets of automated vehicles that perform a variety of tasks. Big money is pouring into some of the most visible companies in the space.

The Advisory Committee on Automation in Transportation was
    announced in early January 2017 as part of Barack Obama’s OF COURSE!

larger federal automated vehicle policy.

It consisted of an all-star cast of

25 executives,
    professors, and
    politicians from across (and even outside) the transportation world,
    like General Motors CEO Mary Barra,
    Waymo CEO John Krafcik,
    Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti,
    Lyft co-founder John Zimmer, and
    oft-cited industry experts like Duke’s Mary “Missy” mings, and
    the University of South Carolina’s Bryant Walker Smith.

“to serve as a critical resource for the Department [of Transportation] in framing federal policy for the continued development and deployment of automated transportation,” according to its landing page on
    the DOT’s website.

The Trump administration has distanced itself from many policies implemented by the previous administration, and

the DOT referenced the rewrite of Obama-era guidance on automated vehicles in an explanation for why it dissolved the committee.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/9/20791454/trump-obama-autonomous-self-driving-car-group-apple-zipcar-uber-lyft

If Obama did it, Trash must destroy it, no matter what the cost now or later.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can plug it in at my house and now the energy to run my car can come from coal instead of gasoline!

The 2019 Los Angeles Auto Show Goes Electric

https://www.architecturaldigest.com/...synd_yahoo_rss

Coal.

Here is a post that didn't date well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The 2019 Los Angeles Auto Show Goes Electric

https://www.architecturaldigest.com/...synd_yahoo_rss

Coal.

Here is a post that didn't date well.
    CPS gets 20% of its electricity from coal burning power plants.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A typical coal fired power plant gets 37% thermal efficiency. Figure another 50% transmission loss to your home and plugging in your coal fired EV is belching loads of CO2 and SO2.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A typical coal fired power plant gets 37% thermal efficiency.
    which is about the same an ICE, so driving full electric is a pollution winner.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    CPS gets 20% of its electricity from coal burning power plants.
    When you posted that the figure was 34%, and peaked in roughly 2012 at 51%, meaning each new installed MW has reduced that carbon intensity.
    https://cpsenergy.com/content/dam/co...ual_Report.pdf (pg 15)

Wind is now cheaper than coal, meaning that the liklihood of them retiring one of their aging plants and replacing that with distributed wind purchase from ERCOT is pretty high.

Your assertion, while still techinically true, now needs to be qualified, due to the overall reduction in carbon intensity.

Here is your critical thinking question for the day:

What is the CO2 footprint for each mile driven between a gas powered car, and that of a Volt, powered by the mix of electricity of CPS?

The problem with conservative thinking... it doesn't take new data well. The world has changed. Either you can adjust your thinking, or... have your worldview not accurately represent reality.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    which is about the same an ICE, so driving full electric is a pollution winner.
    Hard to say without crunching the numbers., but you seem to have arrived at what I was driving at (HA) above. It is ascertainable using the available data though. Be interesting to see what comes out of that calculation.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hard to say without crunching the numbers., but you seem to have arrived at what I was driving at (HA) above. It is ascertainable using the available data though. Be interesting to see what comes out of that calculation.
    In any case, AGW catastrophe is current, not "we must avert it" bull from scammers.

The planet's economy runs on carbon energy, and that can't be eliminated or even reduced significantly

Anyway, the atmosphere is already damaged for 100s of years to come with AGW GHG.

How does humanity "fix" the GHG atmosphere?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When you posted that the figure was 34%, and peaked in roughly 2012 at 51%, meaning each new installed MW has reduced that carbon intensity.
    https://cpsenergy.com/content/dam/co...ual_Report.pdf (pg 15)

Wind is now cheaper than coal, meaning that the liklihood of them retiring one of their aging plants and replacing that with distributed wind purchase from ERCOT is pretty high.

Your assertion, while still techinically true, now needs to be qualified, due to the overall reduction in carbon intensity.

Here is your critical thinking question for the day:

What is the CO2 footprint for each mile driven between a gas powered car, and that of a Volt, powered by the mix of electricity of CPS?

The problem with conservative thinking... it doesn't take new data well. The world has changed. Either you can adjust your thinking, or... have your worldview not accurately represent reality.
    Not running from your question, just don't have any data to make that calculation. BTW, I have nothing against alternative energy sources to fossil fuels...I put solar panels on my SA house years ago so you and your arrogant "conservative worldview not representing reality" bull .

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Worst GHG now as bad as 3M years ago

Climate Change Is Accelerating:

‘Things Are Getting Worse’

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/04/c...97tion=topNews

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not running from your question, just don't have any data to make that calculation. BTW, I have nothing against alternative energy sources to fossil fuels...I put solar panels on my SA house years ago so you and your arrogant "conservative worldview not representing reality" bull .
    It might surprise you to learn that when the brain is confronted by information that contradicts its worldview, it triggers the same "fight or flight" mechanism that a physical threat would.

Either you adopt new information into your worldview, or not. "Conservative" thinking, by definition, tends not to do so. I was speaking more generally than specifically about you. Incorporating new information is a matter of personal responsibility. I leave that to you.

Not saying you are running from your question either.

You need:

Current CO2 intensity per MW. Then figure out how much electricity the car uses per mile. Divide CO2 intensity by this amount. This will get you your CO2 intensity per mile driven figure for an electric car.

Then simply compare that to the CO2 intensity of a standard passenger vehicle.

You can find the data for all of this. I may work the problem at some point, although I would rather spend my lunch hour figuring out how to build a heat exchanging aquatuner for my favorite phsyics based game. (Oxygen not included).

As for your "put solar panels on my SA house": so what? seriously don't see how that makes you any kind of expert, or, for that matter, not vulnerable to the kinds of ossified thinking I was talking about.

Thread Information