Page 201 of 403 FirstFirst ... 101151191197198199200201202203204205211251301 ... LastLast
Results 5,001 to 5,025 of 10056
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kessler seems to be more of a whiteside esque shotblock chaser and sells for ever contest, which gives up a lot of points anyway. Clingan is more mature in that way.

it’s kind of like asking why gobert is better than Kessler if Kessler blocks more shots
    Kessler is a way better shotblocker than clingan imo, i don't think he's just a chase blocker, i understand what you mean tough. Clingan is less mobile than kessler, that's why he does not reach for some blocks sometimes. Agreed about the maturity, he plays with his limitations and strenghts.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What does Clingan do better than, say, Kessler, who is struggling to stay on the floor in Utah? He can be a good fit for a specific team looking for a rim protector (like Dallas was last year), but you can probably find a close enough player in free agency without breaking the bank and use a high lottery pick on someone you can't find in free agency.
    Imo he could be a nice starting center playing like 20-25 mpg

for the spurs the question is just if we need a center to pair with wemby and im not sure of that so i agree you could find something in the fa if you want a center and draft a wing or a guard.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Castle > Sochan

Sochan is too small for a non shooter at pf and the Spurs shouldn't be stuck on him and not draft players based on having Sochan as a long term option.
    Agreed, but we all know Sochan isn't going anywhere for probably a long time and as bad a shooter as he is, it's still less damaging than someone who'd play as the de facto lead guard.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do people think that UConn's current lineup construction something that's viable in the pros? They have:

Newton - big, physically imposing point guard (6'5") who's pretty inefficient but able to create)
    Spencer - average sized 50/40/90 shooting guard able to space the floor
    Castle - utility forward, best and most versatile POA defender, "glue guy", smart cutter, connector
    Karaban - good sized forward who primarily functions as a shooter but can attack off of closeouts and when he gets run off the line
    Clingan - huge, physically imposing defensive centerpiece who can playmake out of the short roll

They have a couple shooters, are big across the board, no real defensive weaknesses, and revolve around the top defensive rim protector in college basketball

If you squint hard enough, the spurs can probably replicate that:

Castle - big, imposing guard with a questionable jump shot who can playmaker and physically dominate smaller guards
    Vassell - average sized shooting guard who provides significant spacing
    Sochan - utility forward, best and most versatile POA defender, "glue guy", cutter, connector
    Blank
    Wembanyama - huge, physically imposing rim protector who can function as both a scorer and playmaker; obviously provides a lot more than Clingan

I left Karaban's spot blank but you're basically looking for a good sized forward who's a lights out shooter while giving up some defense. The ideal for this is probably Markannen, middle class version of this is Naz Reid that a lot people have mentioned, in this draft the closest to this is probably Tyler Smith or maybe Risacher.

Is this a model that can work in the pros? Or does the NBA need a lot more spacing than this type of roster can provide?

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wemby and Vassell are the only players worth drafting around. And if there were good enough prospects I still wouldn’t necessarily let Vassell get in the way of that. Nobody else including sochan or whatever should be considered.

We need playmaking, shooting, defense. That’s basically everything.
    Only Wemby. Vassell's not purge him off the team level bad but if there was a high end SG prospect in this draft like Jaden Ivey in 22, Jalen Green or Scottie Barnes in 21, Ant in 20, RJ Barrett in 19, etc I wouldn't hesitate to draft them if they looked better than picks at other positions. If Castle could shoot I'd draft him and trade Vassell.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only Wemby. Vassell's not purge him off the team level bad but if there was a high end SG prospect in this draft like Jaden Ivey in 22, Jalen Green or Scottie Barnes in 21, Ant in 20, RJ Barrett in 19, etc I wouldn't hesitate to draft them if they looked better than picks at other positions. If Castle could shoot I'd draft him and trade Vassell.
    Sure but there isn’t that kind of prospect in this class so it’s moot. Knecht would be interesting if we get a second pick but much more so if his measurements provide optimism that he can play the 3 without being a McDermott level defender

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Say the spurs land at #3… think there’s a world where okc trades Giddey +12 for the 3rd pick + a 2nd rounder?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    #7 Castle/Jones
    Vassell/Branham
    Sochan/Johnson
    #2 Risacher/Osman
    Wembanyama/Zollins

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Drafting another perimeter player with questionable shot would be insanity.
    None of them are good enough in other aspects of the game to warrant looking past their shooting flaws.

Having a point guard who can shoot threes off the dribble would completely change our offense, I don't want another offensively challenged guard.
    I can understand hoping to develop a wing into a good shooter, it's way more difficult to find good 3-D wings these days, but I'd rather trade the pick than go for another guard that can't shoot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why do people have such a hardon for trading Vassell.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh god, please, please, please, let’s not waste our precious picks on any more non-shooters. We really don’t need any more members of our 29% three point club do we? Not when there’s decent shooters like Sheppard and Knecht and others there.
    I'd rather draft a player who can actually play than some suck-ass Risacher or slow, dopey Cody Williams or tiny, slow Sheppard. Maybe those players pan out, but in this draft you have to leave something on the table and drafting a guy just because he can supposedly shoot is going to bring you pain before long. You got to get something else. And if that something else is defense, then you've got to consider it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Say the spurs land at #3… think there’s a world where okc trades Giddey +12 for the 3rd pick + a 2nd rounder?
    OKC would absolutely do that because Giddey’s game has fallen off so much that they can’t close games with him the floor. They’d pack his bags and drive him the airport. He’s the only player that Chip has had no effect on. Spurs probably don’t do it for that pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I keep waffling on whether i like Sheppard or not. I don’t trust his penetration or footspeed but then again there are historic comps for that type of player succeeding like Hinrich or FVV

not even getting into nash/curry/price stuff because he isn’t remotely as crafty as either and i don’t see that path for him

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why do people have such a hardon for trading Vassell.
    Don't know how me saying I'd trade Vassell if an impossible thing happened equates to me having a hard-on to trade Vassell.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OKC would absolutely do that because Giddey’s game has fallen off so much that they can’t close games with him the floor. They’d pack his bags and drive him the airport. He’s the only player that Chip has had no effect on. Spurs probably don’t do it for that pick.
    He’s played better as of late, idk if I’d do it just because a top 3 pick is so tantalizing. I still like Giddey as a player, just don’t know if that’s a move that puts us in the right direction.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed, but we all know Sochan isn't going anywhere for probably a long time and as bad a shooter as he is, it's still less damaging than someone who'd play as the de facto lead guard.
    Not so sure personnally. I don't believe anyone is safe on this team, safe Devin maybe. Sochan has shown limitations that time can't really fix, or not significantly enough. And you can't teach size. He can't be a stretch 4, and can't really defend opposing bigs. OK, he's versatile and all, but as his time as PG showed, not elite on any other facet of the game that would make him untradable for the right move.

And I dont know if he had that desire, that fire to be great. He can look a bit loose or disinterested at times, like if he doesn't feel like it, he just won't give his all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I believe it's fair to say no rookie from this draft will reach legit NBA starter level before several years (or at leat from scratch) and thus instantly improve the team, quite the contrary. No PG in this class would be an instant upgrade from Tre (if they ever will) who would keep on starting.

So it's hard to imagine anything wihtout knowng if spurs actually intend to improve the compe ivity of the team for next season or if they continue drafting and developing prospects... One thing is sure, spurs won't be that much better just adding two rookies, no matter which ones, quite the opposite, since you'll have to find time to give to another two inexperienced youngsters, which also means no place for a couple vets.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I believe it's fair to say no rookie from this draft will reach legit NBA starter level before several years (or at leat from scratch) and thus instantly improve the team, quite the contrary. No PG in this class would be an instant upgrade from Tre who would keep on starting.

So it's hard to imagine anything wihtout knowng if spurs actually intend to improve the compe ivity of the team for next season or if they continue drafting and developing prospects... One thing is sure, spurs won't be that much better just adding two rookies, no matter which ones, quite the opposite, since you'll have to find time to give to another two inexperienced youngsters, which also means no place for a couple vets.
    They can both draft players, and go get 2,3 vets. It’s not an either/or proposition.

Believe.
    Post Count
    Not true at all. Giddey has picked things up at the end of this season big time. He just got a big triple double at the garden. He’s absolutely untouchable if he plays this way in the playoffs. He’s shooting like 40% for three too recently. That window of hope has closed for the Spurs. I think if Okc trades him, it will be for a star at this point like sign and trade Paul George, Klay Thompson or KD if Clippers, Warriors or Suns flop and decide to retool.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not so sure personnally. I don't believe anyone is safe on this team, safe Devin maybe. Sochan has shown limitations that time can't really fix, or not significantly enough. And you can't teach size. He can't be a stretch 4, and can't really defend opposing bigs. OK, he's versatile and all, but as his time as PG showed, not elite on any other facet of the game that would make him untradable for the right move.

And I dont know if he had that desire, that fire to be great. He can look a bit loose or disinterested at times, like if he doesn't feel like it, he just won't give his all.
    Pop's become a real sentimental and LOVES Sochan, just listening to the way he talks about him or his Manu comparisons (yes he did do that ), he's going nowhere. We just have to hope he goes to the bench a bit more and develops a shot

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They can both draft players, and go get 2,3 vets. It’s not an either/or proposition.
    I believe it is to some fashion, specially if you want to keet most of the current roster. There's only so much playing time you can distribute, unless you want to keep your rookies on the deep bench or get rid of some of the current "core" guys. Adding two rookies and two vets to that team, that's FOUR new players to find time for in the current roster, without moving players you want to keep.

where do spurs need to upgrade?

- PG: if you draft a PG, and sign a vet PG, do you downgrade Tre at the 3rd string spot, knowing he'll be better than you rookie PG who will necessarily struggle at the hardest position in the league with Wemby to feed and make happy? I like Tre as a back up and you'd have to find time for Vet PG, rookie, Tre, Blake...

- SF: If you draft a SF, then sign a vet SF you have distribute time between vet SF / Keldon / Champagnie /Rookie / Branham eventually (and Cedi if he's kept).

- A big/PF: If you draft a froncourt guy, you have to distribute time between Vic, vet big, rookie, Zach, Sochan, Barlow, Sidy, Mamu, Bassey... (you'd obviously have to let some of these guys go).

- If you draft a SG, then sign a SG, you'll have to distibute time between, vet SG, Devin, rookie, Malaki/Champagnie, maybe Graham (that some want to keep)...
    Last edited by JPB; 04-07-2024 at 04:24 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is this a model that can work in the pros? Or does the NBA need a lot more spacing than this type of roster can provide?
    No. Not nearly enough shooting (which the threshold for, in terms of whether defenses will actually respect it, keeps increasing) and play making.

Stat geeks nerds keep fetishizing this type of construction and so those who want to sound informed keep regurgitating it as if it's the only possible way to construct a roster to win a championship (not saying you), yet the Celtics, who've best exemplified it, haven't won because they don't have an MVP player.

People questioned whether Jokic could anchor a good enough defense to win a championship and were proven wrong in resounding fashion.

If, as expected, Wembanyama eventually displaces him as the best player in the world, they should be able to get away with a less than ideal roster construction if the talent/fit is good enough because greatness find a way.

I'm not advocating for him being virtually off limits (on the contrary actually), I'm just saying he more than likely is.
    Last edited by TD 21; 04-07-2024 at 03:03 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not advocating for him being virtually off limits (on the contrary actually), I'm just saying he more than likely is.
    We know our spurs, but can Wemby make PATFO change their ways? I don't exclude it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Kolek is gone by the 2nd round we should take Caitlin Clark tbh

......................... mystargtr34's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the Nuggets roster construction is a good one for the Spurs to follow given they have a generational big man like the Spurs now do. The Nuggets model is also similar to the Duncan-Spurs model.

C - Jokic (generational big man)

PF - Gordon (vertical spacer, dunker spot guy who is solid defensively, solid on the boards, glue guy)

SF - MPJ (third scoring option, floor spacer)

SG - KCP (3-D guy, guards opponents best guard or wing)

PG - Murray (second option, capable of scoring 30 on any given night)

For the Spurs, I see them as having only two of those positions filled.

C - Wemby
    PF - TBA
    SF - TBA
    SG - Vassell (our MPJ, third scoring option on a contender, floor spacer)
    PG - TBA

I don’t see Sochan fitting into any starting lineup that wants to win a championship, not now and not in 5 years, too many flaws in his game. Perhaps as a solid bench guy 7th or 8th man aka a Malik Rose, or Boris Diaw yes. So he’s worth keeping around for that.

I don’t see Vassell as a second option on a contender. I could however see him as a third scoring option who can put up 15-20 PPG on solid efficiency while spacing the floor.

In this draft Spurs could potentially fill out two of the remaining three spots in their future contending SL. We need our Jamal Murray as a second option. The only one I see that fits that bill right now is Rob Dillingham.

I can see Risacher as being another third scoring option aka MPJ but then there’s a duplication of role with Vassell. Cody Williams could be thr 3-D guy possibly at thr 3 spot, which is the KCP role.

I see a lot of 3rd options on contenders in this draft but no number 2 other than perhaps Dilly. But that comes with other shortcomings like size, defense.

Thread Information